So I just feel like venting.

jase19

Taking over a new club here. I need to offload a few players because they just don't fit the way I like to play. Good enough players, high enough value. Yet, nobody wants to buy them. Quite strange if you ask me. Irritating, even. Seems like every window in real life, if clubs want to get rid of a player, they do. It's not like I'm asking for 15m for a player valued at 12m or something. I was getting to the point where I was asking for 1m for a player valued at 6m... Before I realized it was going to be like that again and quit for the night. Happens far too often. /rant

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How far into the save are you?

What date did you take over?

Which club are you?

Are you in a transfer window?

Have you got leagues loaded that the players can move to?

Can other clubs afford them?

How high is their reputation?

Cutting the price simply isn't enough, you need to have demand/interest for your players, once you can identify where the demand/interest is then you can start thinking about price.

How far into the save are you?

What date did you take over?

Which club are you?

Are you in a transfer window?

Have you got leagues loaded that the players can move to?

Can other clubs afford them?

How high is their reputation?

Cutting the price simply isn't enough, you need to have demand/interest for your players, once you can identify where the demand/interest is then you can start thinking about price.

Really? You think it's the same as offloading players in real life? I just started playing FM so I guess I wouldn't know.

Really? You think it's the same as offloading players in real life? I just started playing FM so I guess I wouldn't know.

Do you know what offloading players IRL is like?

Do you think transfers get down in a few minutes? They take weeks & months IRL to organise.

FM isn't exactly like RL but its fairly good if you have a balanced gameworld and know how to communicate with it to make the most of the transfer module. This means being able to identify the clubs who may be interested in signing the players you don't want, recognising what they can afford and letting them know the player is available.

Do you know what offloading players IRL is like?

Do you think transfers get down in a few minutes? They take weeks & months IRL to organise.

FM isn't exactly like RL but its fairly good if you have a balanced gameworld and know how to communicate with it to make the most of the transfer module. This means being able to identify the clubs who may be interested in signing the players you don't want, recognising what they can afford and letting them know the player is available.

I know enough about them that when big clubs start trying to offload players they no longer need in june, they are generally gone by the end of august. at least on loan, which i also tried. and they do not all take 3 months to organize since there are enough that get done on deadline day. not saying that i cannot get them done on deadline day, i'm just simply saying that it's annoying how hard it is to offload players that you do not need but are still valuable players overall.

you can tell me i'm wrong. i really don't care. defend the game all you want, i'm sure it's perfect.

I know enough about them that when big clubs start trying to offload players they no longer need in june, they are generally gone by the end of august. at least on loan, which i also tried. and they do not all take 3 months to organize since there are enough that get done on deadline day. not saying that i cannot get them done on deadline day, i'm just simply saying that it's annoying how hard it is to offload players that you do not need but are still valuable players overall.

you can tell me i'm wrong. i really don't care. defend the game all you want, i'm sure it's perfect.

Another fantastic attitude.

It's July 2018 and i have been at Tottenham for 60 days. After assessing the squad i wanted to sell six players. Three went straight away for the price they valued at, another has left for £1m less than i originally wanted. That leaves two. One is an injury prone 33 year old who earns £105k pw - Nobody wants him on a free but that is understandable. The final player has twice rejected deals at other clubs so i am hardly surprised that clubs aren't smashing my door down to buy him.

In my time playing FM i have rarely struggled to sell players yet i see many threads saying different. I can't think that i do anything special when selling but for me i never get irritated like in the OP.

and yet Man Utd still have the likes of Lindegaard, Anderson & Fellaini despite using the media during the summer to make it known they were available.

Whether you like it or not IRL managers can't always get rid of players.

I will also say if you upload your save and tell us which players you want rid of I'm fairly confident I could get rid of them in that three month period and/or tell you why you have a problem with a particular player.

and yet Man Utd still have the likes of Lindegaard, Anderson & Fellaini despite using the media during the summer to make it known they were available.

Whether you like it or not IRL managers can't always get rid of players.

I will also say if you upload your save and tell us which players you want rid of I'm fairly confident I could get rid of them in that three month period and/or tell you why you have a problem with a particular player.

I cannot give you names really because I am in 2027, but say I had someone of Anderson or Fellaini's value and offered them around for 1m just to get rid of them, nobody would want them in real life? I'm sure Man Utd didn't try to sell them for 1m. I just tried to get rid of them for nearly nothing because I didn't feel like upsetting them when they didn't play all year long. You're comparing apple to orange situtations. I'm offering 8m-10m valued players for chump change. 10m player. Can i have 2.5m? nah. he's too old at 26.

have a good night. i already said /rant.

I cannot give you names really because I am in 2027, but say I had someone of Anderson or Fellaini's value and offered them around for 1m just to get rid of them, nobody would want them in real life? I'm sure Man Utd didn't try to sell them for 1m. I just tried to get rid of them for nearly nothing because I didn't feel like upsetting them when they didn't play all year long. You're comparing apple to orange situtations. I'm offering 8m-10m valued players for chump change. 10m player. Can i have 2.5m? nah. he's too old at 26.

have a good night. i already said /rant.

As I said in my first reply the money/price means very little, you actually need to have teams interested in buying the player which comes down to reputation to a large degree. Teams need to believe that the player will sign for them and that you are willing to sell, once that is established you can then talk price NOT before.

Until you learn how to recognise the relevant, important details and apply some common sense you will continue to be frustrated by transfers.

I've offered players for 0 and yet clubs respond with "my asking price is too high" (or something like that, can't rememeber the exact phrase) So yeah, it is frustrating sometimes :)

you know wages also come into it right?

you could offer Ronaldo out for free and noone would come in, because the teams can't afford his wages

@jase19 - no one came in for Anderson/Fellaini/Lindegaard because they've been proven (or not proven) to be useless for ManUtd - they won't drop down significant wages (because Fellaini and Anderson would both be on a bit) so they've priced those smaller teams out (yes, even though they can afford a 0m asking price)

Wages are also kind of an issue for Lindegaard too, given that he wants first-team football and the clubs that can give him that can't afford his wages

• Administrators

It's always difficult to sell players in the first season as most teams have a very limited transfer budget and their wage budget is near enough full. Bear in mind the research is from afterthe real life transfer window is closed, so just image it's like having two transfer windows on top of each other - not many clubs have enough money to do two rounds of deals. By January they might have a tiny bit more but by the start of the second season you'll have a much easier time moving players on.

you know wages also come into it right?

you could offer Ronaldo out for free and noone would come in, because the teams can't afford his wages

@jase19 - no one came in for Anderson/Fellaini/Lindegaard because they've been proven (or not proven) to be useless for ManUtd - they won't drop down significant wages (because Fellaini and Anderson would both be on a bit) so they've priced those smaller teams out (yes, even though they can afford a 0m asking price)

Wages are also kind of an issue for Lindegaard too, given that he wants first-team football and the clubs that can give him that can't afford his wages

The lengths people go to defend FM at every opportunity :rolleyes:

I challenge you to start up a throwaway save with Real, offer Ronaldo out for free and I guarantee you that teams would come in for him. You really think wages are an issue for City, United, Chelsea and PSG? You think none of them would try and take him?

I challenge you to start up a throwaway save with Real, offer Ronaldo out for free and I guarantee you that teams would come in for him. You really think wages are an issue for City, United, Chelsea and PSG? You think none of them would try and take him?

So what do you think is really behind it? You think the SI team programmed their game in a way that makes it impossible for the player to offload their players? Why would they do that? Because we come to their forums complaining about their game all the time? Common man. The game has enough weaknesses but not being able to offload any player you don't want anymore at will really isn't one of them.

In game the move will never happen because the player has no interest in making it happen & there are no other clubs who have the wage structure to meet the player's demands, offering him out for nothing is an illogical input & as such the end result is not all the relevant.

Funny how often I forgot about that aspect of it. I remember trying to sell a player to reflect a real world transfer (I do that from time to time). The club said player ended up at showed interest, but when I offered said player out, he came to me unhappy asking why I was trying to force him out of the club. The club never made a bid.

You are wrong. I just did exactly that.

Transfer listed him

Make him available for loan

Squad status set to no needed.

He came to me to talk about why he was listed so i aggressively told him he wasn't wanted and he was leaving the club.

Offered him out for £0. The response:

IoYbQFI.png

Perhaps before you start 'guaranteeing' things you should try it yourself.

Transfer listed him

He came to me to talk about why he was listed so i aggressively told him he wasn't wanted and he was leaving the club.

IoYbQFI.png

Quite interesting :) thanks for the "experiment"!

So what do you tell a player who is angry, wants to be transfer listed, is transfer listed, but you cannot sell because nobody wants him? He insists you are not trying, but you try constantly. All he does is complain to you for over 9 months about wanting out. I'm at my 3rd club, starting my 2nd summer. (Joined in the summer of 2027. Started trying to get rid of him pretty much immediately. It is now the summer of 2028, still cannot.)

Club: Atletico Madrid

Value: £16m

Wage: £32k/week

Offered at: £16m, £10m, £5m, £1m, Loan.

Interested: Nobody.

Played every year until this because he just doesn't fit my tactic and now he makes me mad.

Leagues Playable:

England: (L2+)

Spain: (Segunda+)

Italy: (Serie B+)

Germany: (2. Bundesliga+)

View Only Leagues:

(All Top Leagues Only)

Netherlands

France

Scotland

Portugal

Greece

Russia

Ukraine

Belgium

Argentina

Brazil

Why did LVG offload players? Why did Mourinho offload players? Why does Real offload players? Why does Barca offload players? he plays AMC with "yellow" ability as a striker. I don't use an AMC. I don't want to.

I believe I had around 40k-50k players loaded. Custom database. I've sold to clubs from most of those nations over the last however many years in this save.

But I'm sure a quality player who wants out is just not someone anyone wants. You're right. I'm just releasing him for free because at the end of the day I really don't care. I just thought it was interesting and I wanted to vent about an issue with the game because it does happen. But I guess I just haven't learned how to play correctly in the last... 16 years or so? Bash away. I'll still pre-order. Stupid drug.

Why did LVG offload players? Why did Mourinho offload players? Why does Real offload players? Why does Barca offload players? he plays AMC with "yellow" ability as a striker. I don't use an AMC. I don't want to.

I believe I had around 40k-50k players loaded. Custom database. I've sold to clubs from most of those nations over the last however many years in this save.

But I'm sure a quality player who wants out is just not someone anyone wants. You're right. I'm just releasing him for free because at the end of the day I really don't care. I just thought it was interesting and I wanted to vent about an issue with the game because it does happen. But I guess I just haven't learned how to play correctly in the last... 16 years or so? Bash away. I'll still pre-order. Stupid drug.

The biggest issue by far is your choice of playable leagues.

Whilst it might not be ideal the fact is the more playable leagues you have loaded the better the transfer market is.

Transfer listed him

IoYbQFI.png

Has this been reported as a bug? (Not necessarily as a 1 off instance, but anyone of Ronaldo's reputation and ability should have dozens of offers if offered out for free).

Has this been reported as a bug? (Not necessarily as a 1 off instance, but anyone of Ronaldo's reputation and ability should have dozens of offers if offered out for free).

I think the point he was trying to get across that the price a player is offered out means nothing if the player doesn't want to move and and of bidding clubs don't think they can offer the player the wages he'd likely demand.

The only bug is that the manager who offers a player of Ronaldo's quality & value out for free isn't immediately relieved of his duties & forced into retirement due to being the biggest fool ever in the history of management.

So you consider it perfectly fine that no team would be interested in signing him?

So you consider it perfectly fine that no team would be interested in signing him?

Oh they'd be interested. But I mean they wouldn't act on said interest as they already know they wouldn't be able to get him regardless.

Oh they'd be interested. But I mean they wouldn't act on said interest as they already know they wouldn't be able to get him regardless.

Considering he got transfer listed and offered out, how do they establish that they wouldn't be able to get him? And even if success is not guaranteed, no team would even try to get him?

His wages alone (irl) would mean almost any club signing him would break FFP, his current expectations are reportedly £380k per week.

I'd be very surprised to see any takers, the experts say Man U could possibly do it next season without breaching FFP but he'd be their only signing if they did.

I think the game might have it right even if it does it rather clumsily :)

His wages alone (irl) would mean almost any club signing him would break FFP, his current expectations are reportedly £380k per week.

I'd be very surprised to see any takers, the experts say Man U could possibly do it next season without breaching FFP but he'd be their only signing if they did.

I think the game might have it right even if it does it rather clumsily :)

And in order to make it happen United are actually looking to break their own guidelines to do so (they might have to move beyond a 50% wages to turnover ratio, something that is a cornerstone of how they offer contracts). You'll also see a couple of high earning fringe players leave to make it work (Anderson, Nani) and even then they will let him use image rights to boost his wages (like they did with Rooney), They are actually the only club in the world who have both the means and the willingness to bring him from Madrid, and even then its a stretch (I dont think it will happen)

Considering he got transfer listed and offered out, how do they establish that they wouldn't be able to get him? And even if success is not guaranteed, no team would even try to get him?

Transfer listing a player doesn't really guarantee anything unfortunately. Transfer listing a player isn't going to immediately make them want to leave. And until that happens, until the player makes it clear that he wants to leave (either on his own accord or because he finally accepts that he no longer has a future at a club), that unknown (being whether or not they can convince him to leave) is more than enough to deter a team from beginning what would be a massive undertaking anyway.

And the picture posted shows another reason that would deter a team from the get go; potential wage demands. Even if Ronaldo was a free agent, without a club altogether, he'd still be all kinds of expensive.

Tranfers are massive undertakings. Negotiations of any kind are massive undertakings. Because of the fact that so much money is on the line. They take time and effort to complete. And that only goes up as the amount of money being dealt with increases. We're talking about Ronaldo here. I can't imagine how difficult and involved those negotiations must be.

And I haven't considered what effect FFP could have on dealings.

At the end of the day these are still businesses and they will handle affairs as such. If they are going to being a undertaking such as this one, they'd need certain guarantees ahead of time. Otherwise they'd be wasting their time. And they don't like to waste time.

Ronaldo starts the game on almost £600,000, when the game starts there is not a single club that has a wage structure which would enable them to afford Ronaldo's current contract let alone the one he would likely demand if he was being forced out of Real Madrid, if that's a tough concept for some people to grasp then there is not a whole lot that we can do to improve their understanding of football finances.

So you are honestly trying to tell me that if the arguably best player in the world was available transfer free, not a single oil-or-gas backed club would even show interest?

Showing interest in Ronaldo = breaching FFP?

You're really not getting this are you?

Nothing is being said about whether clubs are interested - in fact, the news item pretty much shows that Bayern were, but couldn't afford his wages. Because they're ridiculous. Why is that so hard to understand?

So you are honestly trying to tell me that if the arguably best player in the world was available transfer free, not a single oil-or-gas backed club would even show interest?

With the sole experiment attempted thus far with Ronaldo, a club was interested (Bayern Munich) but recognised his wage demands was in excess of what they could afford. Now we don't know how many or what leagues were made available on this experiment; but which oil-or-gas backed club would be interested in buying him and would go through with it?

Oil-and-gas backed clubs have attempted to buy Messi in recent years: the 'unknown' Russian club, Manchester City and Chelsea. All of which fell through due to bid either being rejected or a lack of interest by both club and player to move on. Ronaldo as well was rumoured to be moving to Anzhi Makhachkala a few years ago, but that also fell through. And two of those rumours were PRE-FFP so there was even less reason to not splash out on the two

An important distinction here (maybe)- if it was Ronaldo who wanted to leave, and he'd consider taking a pay cut to do so, I'd expect there to be clubs willing to sort their finances so they could take him for free. However, offering him out against his will for free gives him no reason to drop his expectations, making him an unaffordable, unrealistic target.

An important distinction here (maybe)- if it was Ronaldo who wanted to leave, and he'd consider taking a pay cut to do so, I'd expect there to be clubs willing to sort their finances so they could take him for free. However, offering him out against his will for free gives him no reason to drop his expectations, making him an unaffordable, unrealistic target.

:applause:

Surprised this hasn't at least been mentioned. Does database size help as well? I've only played two games. One with a large database and one with a small .. I found it much more fun trading players on the smaller database. But saying that it wasn't impossible to sell players on the larger one.

What a lot of users seem unable to grasp (Yourself included) is that FM does a lot of transfer work behind the scenes and as a user we don't see it. It has to be done this way otherwise everytime you pressed continue your inbox would be flooded with offers.

Clubs only get shown as having official interest when they have a realistic expectation that the player would sign for them. This means reputation wise the interested club must have the relevant reputation level and play in a league with the relevant reputation. Rivalries also play a role whilst a club must also be able to afford both the expected transfer fee and the expected wages. If an interested club meets these they will then be shown as interested in the save and an offer may or may not follow depending on the choices a user makes.

For a player like Ronaldo very few clubs meet the criteria required to be listed as interested in a save and even less at the start of a save when summer money has already been spent and squads finalised for the 2013/14 season.

What a lot of users seem unable to grasp (Yourself included) is that FM does a lot of transfer work behind the scenes and as a user we don't see it. It has to be done this way otherwise everytime you pressed continue your inbox would be flooded with offers.

Brilliant cop out - when the result is nonsensical, assume something really smart happened behind the scenes.

Anyhow, just for fun I started a new game, chose Real, edited Ronaldo's salary down to 100k euro/week and offered him out for 0. Not a single club is interested. So what is it this time - no club has enough reputation for R.? They all know it's a trap? They tried to negotiate salary before they are officially allowed to and failed? Keep them good reasons coming ...

I mean, it's not as whether the transfer system is broken is an open question.

Brilliant cop out - when the result is nonsensical, assume something really smart happened behind the scenes.

Anyhow, just for fun I started a new game, chose Real, edited Ronaldo's salary down to 100k euro/week and offered him out for 0. Not a single club is interested. So what is it this time - no club has enough reputation for R.? They all know it's a trap? They tried to negotiate salary before they are officially allowed to and failed? Keep them good reasons coming ...

So you edit it to a relatively ridiculous value for the player in question, and that's proof that it's broken? Jesus wept...

Just because Ronaldo now earns 100k isn't going to mean he's automatically happy to accept something around that value. Also, I assume that's early in the game. You know, when most sides have already spent their money.

Its not a cop out, its a fact.

Whether you choose to believe it or not is entirely down to yourself, you can either make an effort to learn about the game or you can continue to stick your head in the sand and ignore people. Personally I couldn't give a toss which you do :rolleyes:

You edited his current salary down, but with his CA/rep/whatever, I'll bet you his demands would be ludicrous and the AI clubs know that. As has been pointed out a few times, at the start of the game there aren't any clubs with the available wages to even get him. There are only a handful (if that many) clubs that he'd want to join, so the other clubs wouldn't even make offers.

You edited his current salary down, but with his CA/rep/whatever, I'll bet you his demands would be ludicrous and the AI clubs know that.

Many apologies, but flat out wrong.

After editing his salary down to 50k/week he signed for ManCity for 200k/week. So it has exactly zilch to do with "CA/rep/whatever"

===

Anyhoo, the fun here was enough. And always remember laddies, when FM collides with reality, it must be reality that is wrong.

Archived