Round of 16 - Netherlands vs Mexico (17:00 BST) & Costa Rica vs Greece (21:00 BST)

gillsminnow

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's this ********? :/

The Dutch national side conducted an experiment which concluded that a professional footballer loses around 4 litres of body fluid when playing in 45 minutes of heat in the Fortaleza (sp?) sunshine. It is absolutely essential therefore to replace said fluids or you risk the health and safety of the footballer. So the Dutch demanded water breaks.

I wonder if any TV networks around the world went to a commercial break there? ITV didn't but there was an opportunity there similar to what you get with timeouts in the NBA

There were talks of possible cooling breaks before the tournament, why are people so surprised?

Well it's about 50 games into the tournament before we've seen the first one... you'd think if we were going to get them, we'd get them before now.

FWIW, I'm not bothered by them. I think it's a good idea tbh, especially if its for the safety of the players. Their health and well being is more important than anything else, first and foremost. So long as it doesn't get ridiculous - one every 15 minutes or something - then I'm more than happy for the breaks to become a regular thing in warm climates like this.

Well it's about 50 games into the tournament before we've seen the first one... you'd think if we were going to get them, we'd get them before now.

FWIW, I'm not bothered by them. I think it's a good idea tbh, especially if its for the safety of the players. Their health and well being is more important than anything else, first and foremost. So long as it doesn't get ridiculous - one every 15 minutes or something - then I'm more than happy for the breaks to become a regular thing in warm climates like this.

Isn't it the second one of the tournament? I can't remember what game had the first.

I wonder if any TV networks around the world went to a commercial break there? ITV didn't but there was an opportunity there similar to what you get with timeouts in the NBA

Norwegian tv did.

Italy's demand in the match against England was refused.

Really? Seems stupid to reject one but accept another...

It's bizarre tbh. I was watching that game at work so I couldn't hear commentary, but the players looked absolutely knackered. A break would probably have helped more then than it would in this game.

The only thing that strikes me is that we got it after 30 minutes in this game... that means they'll need another in the second half, almost undoubtedly.

Really? Seems stupid to reject one but accept another...

It's bizarre tbh. I was watching that game at work so I couldn't hear commentary, but the players looked absolutely knackered. A break would probably have helped more then than it would in this game.

The only thing that strikes me is that we got it after 30 minutes in this game... that means they'll need another in the second half, almost undoubtedly.

I think FIFA said that it wasn't hot enough to give both teams a cooling break.

this BT ad with Bale and his hairband is probably enough to make people not want to get the channel :D

also it's misleading because BT will almost certaintly be charging when they have the CL

Speaking as someone who wants Mexico to go through...I think the high foot wasn't a penalty but the foul(s) on Robben are definites.

Lucky, but aside from that they've been better so far.

Yeah I agree with this word for word.

Archived