Vanishing Spray

I assume everybody knows what this is & that it'll be used at the World Cup right?

Am looking forward to it's use tbh, hopefully will cut out all of the nonsense that goes on with encroaching by both sides during free kicks.

Sooner it comes into English football the better.

It should be interesting, it's absurd how it took them so long to adopt that, Brazil was the first country to use it, has been using it since 2000.

I think it will lead to more goals which is a good thing but also lead to more controversy, I am sure a player will block a shot and the commentator will make a big deal that the player was not behind the line and the ref missed it.

It is a good idea and will help the game but I am sure there is a commentator just waiting to jump on it.

This is one of the easy things for them to implement. As long as it's not technology

I expect we still won't see many or any booking for encroachments at free kicks. That'll be interesting. Loads of yellows in opening week and then FIFA suddenly realise players will just do this anyway so will end up booked and big players may miss important games for too many silly yellows ... either stop the bookings for it or increase the yellows required for a suspension should solve that :thup:

I don't see why it would Razz? The whole point is that they won't encroach because of the markings. It works in the leagues its used in so why would it not work here?

Cause players are players. They will inch forward and inch forward

It's whether the ref is brave enough to dish out the yellows

Used to be 2 yellows for a suspension but then FIFA seemed to realise that all the silly rule changes and yellow for breathing in someone's direction meant too many suspensions they upped it to 3

If 3 or 4 players are getting booked at the wall then FIFA won't want that more than they don't want encroaching

Sometimes you just can't stop players doing what they do

Have they tried it with the very snidest of the snide players though, that is the question!It'll come down to the ref actually booking people too rather than warning them
Its been used in Brazil & Argentina. They have some of the snidest players in the world in their leagues!

How is the referee carrying this spray? Is he running with it all the time?

Small spray on his belt iirc but I may be wrong.

e: "Vanishing spray is applied from an aerosol can carried by the referee in a holster secured to his or her shorts."

Paul has done you all here - he was making the point that even though there is quite clearly a line for the goalkeeper to stay on the refs don't enforce that rule, so why would it be different for free kicks?

Surely that's what he meant, anyway? :D

This is a great thing and should be implemented everywhere. The amount of encroaching that goes on for FKs is comical. Doesn't have to be a yellow card offence though, if they don't get their yards the FK gets moved 5 yards closer to goal. If they do it again, then it's a yellow. After that just award the attacking team a goal ffs.

There's always a load of crap in the news about the new ball which is supposedly very difficult to play with.

If every tournament there would have been a new ball that was more difficult than the last, we'd be playing with one of these by now

Plastic_Ball.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived