The Yanks are Coming (#MURICA) (The Official USMNT World Cup Thread)

Uncle_Sam

Great effort. I actually think their team is better than England's. They actually give a ****, once the money is put in they'll dominate the international stage. Could win the World Cup in the very near future.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
USA played how every English fan would like to see England play. Well organised, hard working and #PASSION
That's how England used to play. Seems like they over-reacted to missing out on USA 94 and lost their identity.

You guys have so much passion/energy, was great to watch.

Who on earth is that RB that came on :eek:, Yedlin or something? He looked a pretty decent player!

Yeah, DeAndre Yedlin. Plays for Seattle Sounders. Was their first signing out of their youth setup.

Well this sucks. Belgium deserved it, they are a better team, and they were the better team today, but the guys played hard and that's all you can ask of them. I hate losing but I'm proud of the team. Now we just need to start developing some more technically skilled players who will work like those guys did.

disappointed/disgusted at reading the twitters after the match. us journos really want to go the way of england

the twitter individuals that I follow (sporting figures/espn writers/sports journalists) have all been very supportive and proud of the effort

Although no goal scoring sequence ever starts with DMB, and he still gets body checked off the ball by anything heavier than 20 pounds, he had some good moments in that game. I've been hard on him, but he stood pretty tall today.

Happy trails.

Of all the strange things I've seen in life, Grant Wahl being pissy toward OTF's own Gav Stone (@LesRosbifs) is up there with the strangest.

grant is a reporter. I get the feeling from talking to him/interviewing with him that he's proud of the role he has as the preeminent us soccer journalist but all in all he doesn't give a **** about any of this. his demeanor doesn't scream passion. he doesn't really interact or mix with crowds other than selfies with medium famous folks. won't share stories, which is basically the only coin in trade for 90% of his colleagues. buys drinks, nurses one and leaves after 45 minutes. that kind of guy. it's easy to get under his skin because his status is the most important thing to him. I respect him a lot but I can't say I like him

I always liked the look of Yedlin from when USA played Azerbaijan in a friendly before the WC started. Was stating at the time how impressive he was. His attacking instincts and burst of acceleration was amazing.

needs to improve in one on one defending and not getting caught forward but the sky's the limit with that kid. made the unprecedented move to congratulate seattle supporters on the sb sounders board for inking contract on that kid. been following him since high school.

Awesome effort yesterday, and the future looks very bright. Really looks from the outside that this tournament was a watershed moment for US Soccer, and Klinsmann's enthusiasm and positivity just seems to fit so well with the drive to improve the game over there.

just need more guys to step up. we have talent but not consistently putting top guys through in all positions. when we have a good midfield, our defenders are weak. good defenders and can't score. only thing we can count on is good goalkeeping.

we're bringing through better quality depth but projecting a 2018 squad right for me is super depressing.

The U.S. team produced a very solid campaign and they can surely look forward with confidence.

What impressed me the msot though was the support from their fans back home... Was it just a fad, blown out of proportions by worldwide media and social networks, or is the average American slowly but steadly learning to love soccer, at least during the big events?

I don't really remember matches and the WC itself being that big of a deal not so long ago, and it was more the novelty effect than anything. Maybe they're learning to accept it's ok to enjoy a competition where the American team isn't the best and has no real chance to win, but can still give the Top Dogs a run for their money...

If it is the case, I'm very happy because soccer "needs" the United States to be at least a force to reckon with on a consistent basis. I mean, how odd it is for one of the biggest sports powerhouses being just another filler nation in the biggest sport in the world?

BTW, I know we had that debate before, but I still maintain the MLS need to adopt the traditional league system instead of sticking to the franchise/draft thing.

BTW, I know we had that debate before, but I still maintain the MLS need to adopt the traditional league system instead of sticking to the franchise/draft thing.

MLS does use the traditional league system. It's everyone else in the world with their new-fangled promotion/relegation who need to change. :p

What impressed me the msot though was the support from their fans back home... Was it just a fad, blown out of proportions by worldwide media and social networks, or is the average American slowly but steadly learning to love soccer, at least during the big events?

I don't really remember matches and the WC itself being that big of a deal not so long ago, and it was more the novelty effect than anything. Maybe they're learning to accept it's ok to enjoy a competition where the American team isn't the best and has no real chance to win, but can still give the Top Dogs a run for their money...

You could slap "USA" on the front of a team in competitive roshambo and probably get a few million to watch.

And that's okay. International competitions are what they are and in themselves don't spur a lot of change. There was a small spike in ice hockey interest after the Miracle on Ice, but then it went back to being No. 4 pretty quickly. The day-in/day-out work that MLS and sides lower down the pyramid, and promoters bringing over the big Euro teams, and kids growing up with the sport and then having kids of their own is what's driving the increased interest.

What is the "traditional league system"? Mexico uses the apertura/clausura format, average points to determine relegation (and then some of the relegated teams clubs buy the promoted clubs and back in the top flight) and playoffs.

Looking at vines of the Wondolowski miss, I think Courtois was in such a good position that only a very good to great shot (alternatively, something lucky) would have been successful. That said, shanking it over the net has a zero percent chance of going in - you want to at least force Courtois into making a save.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/863C60A5931095876587200679936_26305a44189.0.4.8160619374952812879.mp4?versionId=ZkTba4jedxbWw4HitE37ZqMsZz61puje

Hopefully we will not only have better players but more depth for 2018. Guys like Bedoyen and Zusi were barely serviceable. And not having a plan B for Altidore and playing Bradley and Dempsey out of position really limited what we could do. Likewise, the fragmented nature of our youth development really rears its ugly head in central defense. We need more skillful defenders who are comfortable on the ball.

Hopefully we will not only have better players but more depth for 2018. Guys like Bedoyen and Zusi were barely serviceable. And not having a plan B for Altidore and playing Bradley and Dempsey out of position really limited what we could do. Likewise, the fragmented nature of our youth development really rears its ugly head in central defense. We need more skillful defenders who are comfortable on the ball.

We did have a plan B for Jozy, Terrence Boyd.

but we didn't take him, electing to take Wondo instead <_<

so who do we have in the pipe for 2018?

altidore, agudelo, will bruin (maybe a brian ching type?), jack mac, villarreal, sean okoli maybe, rubio rubin maybe, johannsson, fagundez (if he declares for us), boyd, and julian green can fight for the forward places. with a bunch of wild cards like bobby wood, omar salgado, the kids over in tijuana, kiesewetter, and alfredo morales.

diskerud, bradley, gil, trapp, junior flores maybe, marc pelosi (if he heals up), zelalem (if he declares for us), torres, danny williams, gatt, gyau, the hyndman kid, rowe, joe corona, shea if he gets his **** together, powers could be a guy at this level, and I think hurtado has room to grow in midfield.

defenders are a little harder to predict - yedlin, brooks, chandler, fabian johnson, omar, cameron could be a vet, maybe besler, o'neill, klute, ream, packwood seems to be one of these guys like lletget where everyone thinks highly of him but no one is quite sure why... castillo and orozco I guess.

We did have a plan B for Jozy, Terrence Boyd.

but we didn't take him, electing to take Wondo instead <_<

can't blame klinsmann for that. if wondo did what he was expressly brough there to do, we'd be preparing for argentina right now

I think you should get Shawn and Devante Parker. Both of them have much more potential than Woods, Kiesewetter, Morales, D. Willimans or Gyau. I guess Klinsmann will find even more talents in Germany who are eligible for the US.

I think you should get Shawn and Devante Parker. Both of them have much more potential than Woods, Kiesewetter, Morales, D. Willimans or Gyau. I guess Klinsmann will find even more talents in Germany who are eligible for the US.

Devante Parker?

I heard it was also (incorrectly) flagged for offside? Imagine the **** storm had that gone in and been ruled out incorrectly :D

There was some talk that the flag was a goal kick but that could be to feed the 'OMG dramatic miss' narrative

I think with Klinsmann you have to look at the long term. Being realistic, the love child of Jose Mourinho and Guus Hiddink was not going to win the World Cup with this team. JK got the team out of a group with three teams that had better players. They pushed another team that was more talented to extra time and made them sweat out a narrow win. Of course, he wasn't perfect. I disagreed with some of the players he took. I didn't like the style of play, it was more negative than Bradley's in my view.

With that said, I'm glad he's the coach because he has sought to make changes to the entire system. To be able to compete with the elite countries we're going to need better players in the future and I think he is helping to make strides in development. He sees the flaws in our structure and wants to fix it. The team's performance is important, obviously. But really, the quality of players is more important than the quality of the manager. There are probably a lot managers who could have done what Klinsmann did at the World Cup (including maybe Bradley and Arena), but not as many would seek to improve the development the way he has. So I'm glad we have him for another cycle and hopefully we start seeing better players in this next cycle.

That Yedlin guy, I did not catch the whole game but boy did he look good going forward in the parts I did see, was that a once off or is he a good prospect?

Americans say gimme more of that crack:

Reuters is reporting that more than 22 million Americans watched the United States’ 2-1 loss to Belgium in the Round of 16 of the 2014 World Cup on Tuesday.

That number is three million more than the 19 million Americans that tuned in to watch the Boston Red Sox win the World Series last October and four million more than the 18 million who watched the Spurs clinch the NBA title over the Miami Heat in Game 5 last June.

That 22 million was derived from 16.5 million viewers who watched ESPN’s broadcast, 1.1 million viewers who streamed on the WatchESPN app and 5.1 million who tuned in to Univision, the Spanish-language broadcast network.

Given that Nielsen TV ratings only measure U.S. households and thousands upon thousands of people jammed bars, restaurants and sports stadiums to view the contest, total viewership number is well beyond the 22 million mark.

Which is all to say the one thing that’s been preached in nearly ever soccer article you’ve read today: Soccer in America is a big deal.

But you already knew that.

That video of Obama is great :thup:

Strange that Obama says his 'first sport' is soccer but apparently the black population in the States haven't taken to soccer at all?

e: Just googled this to see if maybe I was mistaken, but apparently it's a wealth thing. Over here (and in the rest of the world, actually), a club takes you on and they help you become better. Apparently in the States, you pay the club to take you on and train you up? That's not the right way to go about it imo (if that is truly the case). Would explain poorer people not taking an interest in soccer.

Youth programs in soccer are essentially the same as they are in every other sport in America. Sometimes they're pay-to-play, sometimes scholarships and grants are given so poorer kids don't have to pay. It almost never has anything to do with professional clubs. It works out fine for every other sport -- there's no shortage of poor kids playing football, basketball, or baseball.

The idea that the black population of the US hasn't taken to soccer is a little silly, too. Leaving out the overseas-raised players, five out of sixteen of the members of the World Cup squad are black. That's twice as high as the proportion in the general population. There is no shortage of black Americans in MLS, either.

Archived