The Yanks are Coming (#MURICA) (The Official USMNT World Cup Thread)

Uncle_Sam

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, one I'd still prefer waldo to lalas since at least waldo isn't constantly sucking up looking for a job. but two I am 99.9% sure waldo will be long gone before 2018. if he doesn't self-destruct then I'm sure fox will have him moved out to keep embarrassments to a minimum.

well, one I'd still prefer waldo to lalas since at least waldo isn't constantly sucking up looking for a job. but two I am 99.9% sure waldo will be long gone before 2018. if he doesn't self-destruct then I'm sure fox will have him moved out to keep embarrassments to a minimum.

No, he just whines that nobody in MLS will give him a chance, then tells Atlanta he only wants to do the technical director/head coach job on a part-time basis.

No, he just whines that nobody in MLS will give him a chance, then tells Atlanta he only wants to do the technical director/head coach job on a part-time basis.

Ah, Eric. :-D

It seems Donovan has taken a hit at Klinsmann too for his tactics not being that pro-active, as according to him the US "weren't out to win". I think that deep inside, all of these inside the US sports know that completely taking the game to the opponent at this stage may still not always be the most likely route to come away with something.

Unluckily to the wider American public who is typically exposed to great winners in sports and thus has different expectations (and might not be that familiar with the logics of football nor be aware of the implications of its extremely low scoring nature fully), that may exactly what they want to hear though: We went out because we were set up to. Klinsmann had taken some flak for announcing Team USA would have no chance of winning the Cup prior either.

I didn't really like how we played, but it's pretty stupid to say we were set up to fail when we survived a group where all three teams were better than us and then we took a team full of English Premier League players to the final moments of extra time. Obviously Donovan had some resentment for being left off the squad.

To me the problems with the 23 we took are obvious now that it's over. Bradley was clearly out of position. We should have had someone else who could play in the ten-hole. Dempsey is also not a lone striker, which is a problem that was created by the fact the only other striker we took besides Jozy was Wondowloski, who should have not been on the team. JK should have taken Donovan, and in hindsight I think I would actually have liked to see Joe Corona on the squad somewhere. No Wondo, no Brad Davis, and no Mix. Take those three out and we probably could have a team that could create something.

With that said, JK did a good job with what he had. It's disappointing but in my view we overachieved. Now let's keep building brick by brick.

And that's fair enough. Just because I disagree with a couple of the players he took doesn't mean I'm right and he's wrong, I could be the one who's wrong. I'm just one of those who believe that form isn't always everything, and there are a number of players who are better than Wondolowski. The truth is, it likely wouldn't have made that big of a difference anyway. I"m still glad JK is the coach and I think he's a very good choice for the future of the program.

Felix Magath putting Landycakes on full blast.

In response to Donovan's comments that Klinsmann's tactical approach in the team's 2-1 loss to Belgium in the round of 16 "didn't seem like we gave it a real effort," Magath, who has won three German championships and is now in charge of English Premier League side Fulham, used his Facebook page to deliver a sharp rebuke.

“Now comes a mediocre player with a plaintive interview and false claims, and denounces the work of the coach," Magath wrote in German. "The player Landon Donovan, at Bayern, was once considered unsuitable for the second team. I find such behavior unspeakable, unworthy of an international player."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/coach-slams--mediocre-player--landon-donovan-over-criticism-of-jurgen-klinsmann-192048671.html

If only there was just 1 person on the earth that gave a **** what Magath's views are.

He actually writes very good pieces. More insightful than many other trainers. This guy actually has a couple of brain cells to rub together.

Losing respect for Landy by the day.

Losing? Mate I lost it a long long time ago. He's being pathetic at this point. Boo hoo the US exceeded all expectations without you. Get over it.

I don't get all the crap that Klinsmann is getting right now. The US did fantastic. I'm so freaking proud of the job they did up until the end. And depsite that, there are so many people who, instead of celebrating what this team did, are siding with Landon and criticising Klinsmann.

Makes me sick frankly.

There are always going to be miserable fans, even if the team wins. Whatever. Klinsmann is the coach and it looks like he will be for this cycle so I'm behind him and the team. I am definitely eager to see what players work their way into the team this cycle. Guys like Corona and Green and Yedlin. Hopefully over the next four years we can learn how to be a little better with the ball.

Archived