Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thing is, an actual manager has the entire lexicon of the English (or otherwise) language to work with to tell his players what he wants them to do. He can explain down to the most minute detail exactly where he wants them to be. The choices we have now are very much binary in their nature. In this respect I think the sliders were actually the more realistic option as it replaces the linguistic flexibility with a numerical flexibility not present in the current system.

Thing is, an actual manager has the entire lexicon of the English (or otherwise) language to work with to tell his players what he wants them to do. He can explain down to the most minute detail exactly where he wants them to be. The choices we have now are very much binary in their nature. In this respect I think the sliders were actually the more realistic option as it replaces the linguistic flexibility with a numerical flexibility not present in the current system.

Interestingly enough, the "realistic" word features regardless of which side of the interface fence you sit on.

My stance has always been clear; I didn't like the sliders at all and so welcomed the new interface.

I always felt that the sliders gave an arbitrary sense of control, and consequently don't believe that the new interface results in fewer tangible options.

When you set a slider to "5", it was never perceptibly different from setting it to "4" or "6".

As such, 20 levels of control never really existed in my opinion, at least not in a practical or perceptible manner.

I feel that the current interface therefore is a better representation of the way in which instructions are conveyed - more realistic if you like.

Guest El Payaso
There are still very annoying problems, but they don't ruin the fun for me as much as the terrible first-touches did...
For me the whole bad first touch thing was really refreshing. What's the point of having first touch attribute in the game and then no-one ever makes a bad first touch? Currently there are too many attributes that just change the Current Ability and make the player more or less dominant in the ME and not actually showing any of those 'skills' in the gameplay. I know it is a lot to ask to be done precisely but having attacking players also doing errors like bad dribbling attempts, bad first touches and runs to wrong place to receive pass, would really balance the ME. Now it is just too 'attacking' for my liking at and for me it is kinda obvious that too slick attacking play and quite poor defending is balanced with things like bad finishing...

Interestingly enough, the "realistic" word features regardless of which side of the interface fence you sit on.

My stance has always been clear; I didn't like the sliders at all and so welcomed the new interface.

I always felt that the sliders gave an arbitrary sense of control, and consequently don't believe that the new interface results in fewer tangible options.

When you set a slider to "5", it was never perceptibly different from setting it to "4" or "6".

As such, 20 levels of control never really existed in my opinion, at least not in a practical or perceptible manner.

I feel that the current interface therefore is a better representation of the way in which instructions are conveyed - more realistic if you like.

Never perceptibly different but it was different. Taking the narrowest range also doesn't quite tell the tale, what about the difference between 3 and 7, between 11 and 15? It's a question of granularity really. How much control should a manager have over these things? Possibly there's a middle ground between the fine granularity of the sliders and the more binary nature of the instructions.

One thing though, documentation of these features and how they work in concert and opposition is desperately needed. I recognise that various forum members have gone above and beyond in their efforts but some kind of in-game information, whether it is in text form or some kind of graphic demonstrating the effect of the instruction should be a priority. Maybe they could allow you to simulate a 2d match using the tactics you've selected.

Guest El Payaso

Controlling a team in real life isn't a limited thing like the current system is. If I was a manager in real life I would be able to tell my players to tie their shoes on the pitch if I would like to. That's not the thing what I would be demanding from developers but for me and I think that for many else the current system is too simplified and boring. IRL it often takes more than a season to make style of play finished, in game it takes 2-3 minutes and there are no ways or real need to tweak it anymore is that 'realistic' then? Reading the tactics forum has been like I feared before the new system was released: people are using more and more exactly same style of plays and that kinda kills the tactical identity in the game. For example I like to use one of the most used formations like 4-5-1 and 4-4-1-1 but I still like to have a strong tactical identity for my team and have a system that no-one else uses.

Things like tutoring and teaching preferred moves aren't that 'realistic' either but still good features for a game.

Controlling a team in real life isn't a limited thing like the current system is. If I was a manager in real life I would be able to tell my players to tie their shoes on the pitch if I would like to. That's not the thing what I would be demanding from developers but for me and I think that for many else the current system is too simplified and boring. IRL it often takes more than a season to make style of play finished, in game it takes 2-3 minutes and there are no ways or real need to tweak it anymore is that 'realistic' then? Reading the tactics forum has been like I feared before the new system was released: people are using more and more exactly same style of plays and that kinda kills the tactical identity in the game. For example I like to use one of the most used formations like 4-5-1 and 4-4-1-1 but I still like to have a strong tactical identity for my team and have a system that no-one else uses.

That has nothing to do with the sliders vs current system debate. You want more instructions, not more notches on the sliders. That's different and it's something I'm sure we'll get in the future.

The strong tactical identity is something you can introduce through Team Instructions and Player Instructions. Even though the formation is the same, you can make it behave very differently.

Guest El Payaso
That has nothing to do with the sliders vs current system debate. You want more instructions, not more notches on the sliders. That's different and it's something I'm sure we'll get in the future.
I've never said that I was a big fan of sliders but wouldn't really say that the current system is better or more realistic. And not even declaring that the game should be realistic all the way. I just think that those people who liked to tweak things precisely right are quite forgotten with this current system.
The strong tactical identity is something you can introduce through Team Instructions and Player Instructions. Even though the formation is the same, you can make it behave very differently.
I wouldn't say that you can create a strong identity with the system. When I watch other people's career updates in the forum their players are performing almost exactly same ways as my players in the same positions are and that already tells me a lot. I think that for example most of us are relying on individual skill on their attacking play: for example wingers are basically the main creators in every tactic that uses them and so on. It would be refreshing to see the ball winning midfielder actually being the best performer or that full-back who only concentrates on defending...

I've never said that I was a big fan of sliders but wouldn't really say that the current system is better or more realistic. And not even declaring that the game should be realistic all the way. I just think that those people who liked to tweak things precisely right are quite forgotten with this current system.

Now you're saying something else. If we're going to talk about realism, the current system wins. That has to be obvious since it uses football language instead of slider notches. Again, I'm not talking about that. What it seems to me you're asking for is more instructions not more slider notches or D-Line height adjustments. I agree with that and as I said, I'm sure we'll get those.

I wouldn't say that you can create a strong identity with the system. When I watch other people's career updates in the forum their players are performing almost exactly same ways as my players in the same positions are and that already tells me a lot. I think that for example most of us are relying on individual skill on their attacking play: for example wingers are basically the main creators in every tactic that uses them and so on. It would be refreshing to see the ball winning midfielder actually being the best performer or that full-back who only concentrates on defending...

Can't comment on that, but I've personally had two 4-5-1 systems play very different by using different roles and team/player instructions so it is possible.

There are no teams like Greece '00. They were the only one. :D But definitely, having extra options doesn't hurt. It doesn't force anyone to use them, and gives another possibility to ones who want to.

I think tactical options will be expanded and, from this point on, they'll be expanded more consistently and in ways that weren't previously possible. Prior to FM14, there had been no completely new tactical options added for years, and people were frustrated that most new features seemed to be additions to the media module. Now, we have things like the Halfback and the False Nine, and moving away from the slider system made that much easier. Sliders weren't removed to keep players from editing roles; they were removed so SI can fine tune roles in a way that the previous system wouldn't allow. Whereas the slider system would let you make broad adjustments to basic things like through passes and forward runs, specific behaviours can now be pinpointed and adjusted to a level of detail that wasn't possible with sliders. So for example, a box to box midfielder can now be adjusted to time his runs in a way that actually makes him box to box on all mentality settings, a target man can be adjusted to use his head and physicality much more than a poacher, a halfback can consistently alternate position in different phases of play, etc. In time, this will be expanded to team instructions, so players will make specific decisions that better suit the team's formation or preferred playing style.

Again, the problem with sliders is that they gave you the option of a lot of microscopic adjustments to an overly standardized and narrowly defined way of playing. It was like an ice cream shop that offered 50 versions of strawberry and nothing else. Obviously, there are a lot of options yet to be added to give people the freedom to make their teams play exactly how they want, but under the new system, that's actually a possibility.

Guest El Payaso
What it seems to me you're asking for is more instructions not more slider notches or D-Line height adjustments. I agree with that and as I said, I'm sure we'll get those.
Yes, more instructions and different kind of instructions like being able to properly influence how your teams move and for example close down. Also more instructions for players on how to act in different kind of situations...
Can't comment on that, but I've personally had two 4-5-1 systems play very different by using different roles and team/player instructions so it is possible.
For me it seems kinda hard-coded how players on different positions perform no matter what kind of style of play you use. For example my attacking midfielder with good amount of current ability might play badly long times in season but at some point he finds really good form so that he achieves certain amount of assists and goals and certain level of average ratings. In next season same player might start the season really well and being unstoppable but then he just stops performing and after two season when you look at the career stats the two seasons seem almost like a copy of one another.

For me it seems kinda hard-coded how players on different positions perform no matter what kind of style of play you use. For example my attacking midfielder with good amount of current ability might play badly long times in season but at some point he finds really good form so that he achieves certain amount of assists and goals and certain level of average ratings. In next season same player might start the season really well and being unstoppable but then he just stops performing and after two season when you look at the career stats the two seasons seem almost like a copy of one another.

I'm not sure how this relates to what you quoted me as saying, but hope you're not implying that performances suffer and pick up again because of some artificial limitation on stats...

I think tactical options will be expanded and, from this point on, they'll be expanded more consistently and in ways that weren't previously possible. Prior to FM14, there had been no completely new tactical options added for years, and people were frustrated that most new features seemed to be additions to the media module. Now, we have things like the Halfback and the False Nine, and moving away from the slider system made that much easier. Sliders weren't removed to keep players from editing roles; they were removed so SI can fine tune roles in a way that the previous system wouldn't allow. Whereas the slider system would let you make broad adjustments to basic things like through passes and forward runs, specific behaviours can now be pinpointed and adjusted to a level of detail that wasn't possible with sliders. So for example, a box to box midfielder can now be adjusted to time his runs in a way that actually makes him box to box on all mentality settings, a target man can be adjusted to use his head and physicality much more than a poacher, a halfback can consistently alternate position in different phases of play, etc. In time, this will be expanded to team instructions, so players will make specific decisions that better suit the team's formation or preferred playing style.

Again, the problem with sliders is that they gave you the option of a lot of microscopic adjustments to an overly standardized and narrowly defined way of playing. It was like an ice cream shop that offered 50 versions of strawberry and nothing else. Obviously, there are a lot of options yet to be added to give people the freedom to make their teams play exactly how they want, but under the new system, that's actually a possibility.

Agree with a lot of your points - the implementation of tactics though, so far as I can see it (and maybe pressing aside, which could do with some improvement) are not the real problem. It's more the representation of them and what we're actually seeing when it comes to match day. Could have the most comprehensive, in depth, nuance based tactical options available but if we're not seeing them when it really matters, ie. match day, then really have to ask yourself 'what is the point'? I cannot, and I say this honestly, recall a single match I've watched where I've noticed a difference in tactical style... formation aside. Everyone seems to pass the same, be it Skrill Premier or La Liga, teams break the same, skill definitions are limited (by that I mean you can't tell a world class international from a hungover Sunday league pub player) and goalkeepers aside you really can't tell the difference between a 'good' or 'bad' player (sort of the same point, but I felt it worthy of double mention... on a bit of a rant now, apologies).

It has to be such a fine balance, I certainly don't envy SI's job!

Completely with you on the 'sliders' argument by the way...

Guest El Payaso
Obviously, there are a lot of options yet to be added to give people the freedom to make their teams play exactly how they want, but under the new system, that's actually a possibility.
I'm not sure that I'm understanding this right but if you're saying that it is possible to create exact style of plays that we want then I think that you are quite wrong. Of course it is also down to it what you want to achieve with your style of play but I'm certainly not able to create a style of play what I would like to. In my games I see lots of small grievances that I would like to correct with simple instructions but I'm not able to give those instructions.

The current system for me is limited and pretty boring but I have full confidence that in the future it will be much better and much more done for players like me who really think that tactics are the most interesting thing in the game and worth a little bit of time to be spent on them. Of course the developers must respect the new players also but same goes with all of us and the current system isn't really working for those who enjoy tweaking.

I'm not sure how this relates to what you quoted me as saying, but hope you're not implying that performances suffer and pick up again because of some artificial limitation on stats...
I'm not saying that it is completely hard-coded how certain players perform but it doesn't wary too much. For example in last year's version I had Manu Busto playing as attacking midfielder in Real Oviedo. He played a brilliant first season and got something like 20 goals and 22 assists. Then in seconds season he was much more 'quiet' for most of the season and I was thinking that he isn't going to have same kind of season like he did last year, such a shame. Suddenly when there was only about 15 games to go in the season he started dominating without any tactical changes: he scored from direct free-kicks for the first time in my era and got 18 goals and around 20 assists in the seconds season and most of the goals were when he was unstoppable and when he reached the certain level in his stats he just returned to his normal self for the rest of the season.

And some feedback/question: is anyone else noticed that most of the generated players are really physical freaks? How common IRL are these attacking players who make for example Cristiano Ronaldo look like a ballerina when you compare their attributes?

Hi, just signed up today, saw this thread and thought I would add a grievance of my own.

Here goes

When we start a new game those players that were injured in pre season(real life) are already injured in the game.

Yet, we then have to go through a whole pre season ourselves, just to get where we were when most of our already injured players were injured in the first place, inevitably incurring even more injuries on the way.

This just doesn't seem right under the circumstances, a point that is made even more frustrating by the increase in injuries after the last patch.

Just thought i'd throw that in, see what people thought?

Hi, just signed up today, saw this thread and thought I would add a grievance of my own.

Here goes

When we start a new game those players that were injured in pre season(real life) are already injured in the game.

Yet, we then have to go through a whole pre season ourselves, just to get where we were when most of our already injured players were injured in the first place, inevitably incurring even more injuries on the way.

This just doesn't seem right under the circumstances, a point that is made even more frustrating by the increase in injuries after the last patch.

Just thought i'd throw that in, see what people thought?

How many players do you have out injured at a time? It's fairly well known on here that FM has fewer injuries than real life, so if you're having injury problems, it could be an unlucky spell. If it's consistently a problem, it's something to do with your training and possibly physios.

How many players do you have out injured at a time? It's fairly well known on here that FM has fewer injuries than real life, so if you're having injury problems, it could be an unlucky spell. If it's consistently a problem, it's something to do with your training and possibly physios.

If you're having injury problems I feel bad for you, son

I've got 99 problems but injuries ain't one

Sometimes its just an extra 1 or 2 on top of those already out injured.

Like I said, it just feels a little O.T.T. when you have already incurred the injuries that happened pre season before you even play pre season.

Maybe it could be done differently, similar to the way the January transfer window opens and in any new game you automatically have the January signings in July. Take out the pre season injuries in much the same manner.

I had a recent Crystal Palace save that ended in disaster, by the time the season started I had no fullbacks and no wingers, got off to a bad start with an already poor side and never recovered.

It's actually a good point. If a real life player cops a serious injury just before the data update, you get that injury in July with the possibility of fresh injuries on top of that as you play forward. Maybe have the option of applying real life injuries or not?

Is there a reason why wingers shoot from silly angles when they should be crossing I see it every game the winger gets into a great possistion to square the ball to the striker and he shoots when he's practicly adjacent to the six yard box? (you're not maicon mate plz stop)

Is this because of my tactics too.

PS I work ball into box

I start a new game of FMC as Macclesfield. Start the season only to realise I have no reserve team friendlys and can't make any. I cure that problem by verifying the game cache only to find my entire first team has disappeared, all the players gone.

Nice work SI three patches are obviously the right number no matter what state the games in once the last ones released.

The wingers and their decisions whether to cross or shoot are MUCH MUCH MUCH better in the latest patch. Goals like this were completely impossible before 14.3

[video=youtube;3rO2jf0MT6Q]

now I see them pretty often. Nowhere close to perfect of course, but at least the cut back now exists. Pre 14.3 that winger would most definitely have tried to shoot or buy a corner (or simply stood there waiting to be tackled).

There is no such thing as tactical identity in this game. You either adapt to every opponent or you lose. And you must be a tactical genius to be a champion.

I've just won the quintuple with Middlesbrough, and I haven't changed my tactic in over 6 seasons

There is no such thing as tactical identity in this game. You either adapt to every opponent or you lose. And you must be a tactical genius to be a champion.

I don't know why "tactical identity" has become phrase of the moment. What does it even mean?

You absolutely don't need to change much, or even anything, from game to game. I'm the laziest FM player there is, and I use the same setup in every game at the moment.

This isn't true at all. If you have a world class squad, you can play the same tactic every game if you want. People do it all the time and pile up plenty of trophies. On the other hand, as in real life, you will do much better with a lower quality squad if you make minor and logical adjustments to get the best out of your players' more limited skill sets against specific opponents, but you definitely don't need to completely change your style of play. That's just realistic, and I don't see why this is a problem.

Guest El Payaso
I don't know why "tactical identity" has become phrase of the moment. What does it even mean?

Unique style of play that every manager IRL has.

The wingers and their decisions whether to cross or shoot are MUCH MUCH MUCH better in the latest patch. Goals like this were completely impossible before 14.3

[video=youtube;3rO2jf0MT6Q]

now I see them pretty often. Nowhere close to perfect of course, but at least the cut back now exists. Pre 14.3 that winger would most definitely have tried to shoot or buy a corner (or simply stood there waiting to be tackled).

I agree there is a difference, I don't really get much of those cuts that reach my player maybe two a season. I won't lie before wingers were pretty useless and played like my team had the waste time tactic on. Bu its not great and annoying when you need a goal and he shooting from the corners of the area instead of running and putting it across the six yard box

Must say, credit where credit is due - David91 made a very good point about the tactical options - and it reminded me of something wwfan said a long time ago - about being able to give more specific styles of instructions, rather than the usual/default style.

It would be very good if we could adapt our pressing instructions, our passing instructions etc, for slightly different styles.

I'm wondering if the balance between interviews that do and do not end in job offers is right? Have spent about a year in game trying to find a decent position after resigning from another club. Done at least 20 interviews, only two have actually resulted in a job offer though. I understand that not every interview can guarantee a job offer but it's not exactly fun going through the exact same conversation minigame countless times for little gain. They shouldn't offer me the interview if they won't actually consider hiring me, should they?

I'm wondering if the balance between interviews that do and do not end in job offers is right? Have spent about a year in game trying to find a decent position after resigning from another club. Done at least 20 interviews, only two have actually resulted in a job offer though. I understand that not every interview can guarantee a job offer but it's not exactly fun going through the exact same conversation minigame countless times for little gain. They shouldn't offer me the interview if they won't actually consider hiring me, should they?

Are you just answering the bare minimum? I've struggled in interviews in FM14, but I've found that adding philosophies that the board likes or being prepared to work with a smaller wage and/or transfer budget helps the process a lot!

I figure that they must get a lot of applicants, so I have to try and gain favour somehow...

Guest El Payaso
OK, and you're implying that you cannot differentiate between styles of play in FM14?

Hey I only answered to a simple question with a simple answer so what's the fuss? I'm using a 4-4-1-1 and I bet that a few hundred or even thousand AI and human managers are using exactly same tactics that I am. That's all about that subject for me.

Are you just answering the bare minimum? I've struggled in interviews in FM14, but I've found that adding philosophies that the board likes or being prepared to work with a smaller wage and/or transfer budget helps the process a lot!

I figure that they must get a lot of applicants, so I have to try and gain favour somehow...

I'm trying to ask for less money than what they initially offer wherever it seems possible and add philosophies where they match mine (i.e possession football, sign young players) but still keep getting turned down. I may be aiming above my reputation range, but then why are they bothering with the interview offers at all?

I'm also not sure direct football should be a preferred club philosophy, definitely not as often as it seems to be at lower league clubs. I mean are there really many football clubs out there who will only hire a a manager if they promise to play a lot of hoofball? It doesn't sound right to me, surely if you promise results along with more expressive football that should be preferable to direct and defensive in most cases? I mean I could understand it better if they asked for a counter attacking style. But counter attacking doesn't necessarily have to be direct.

Hey I only answered to a simple question with a simple answer so what's the fuss? I'm using a 4-4-1-1 and I bet that a few hundred or even thousand AI and human managers are using exactly same tactics that I am. That's all about that subject for me.

There is no fuss. You said earlier "Reading the tactics forum has been like I feared before the new system was released: people are using more and more exactly same style of plays and that kinda kills the tactical identity in the game."

I agree that lots of people use the same basic formations, and that by default affects the "style" of play they choose.

However, it isn't an issue that is created or accelerated by FM14.

I'm trying to ask for less money than what they initially offer wherever it seems possible and add philosophies where they match mine (i.e possession football, sign young players) but still keep getting turned down. I may be aiming above my reputation range, but then why are they bothering with the interview offers at all?

I'm also not sure direct football should be a preferred club philosophy, definitely not as often as it seems to be at lower league clubs. I mean are there really many football clubs out there who will only hire a a manager if they promise to play a lot of hoofball? It doesn't sound right to me, surely if you promise results along with more expressive football that should be preferable to direct and defensive in most cases? I mean I could understand it better if they asked for a counter attacking style. But counter attacking doesn't necessarily have to be direct.

Direct isn't necessarily "hoofball" either. I've played a direct game this season with my club and it was silky smooth football, getting it from defence to the front 3 quickly, mostly with passes to feet or into space.

I got the job, because I offered to play attacking football (something they moderately agreed with) and signing young players for the first team (something they slightly agreed with). I also asked for slightly less in transfer fees, since most of my signings are free signings anyway.

You'd get the odd offer for an interview at a club that has a higher rep than you should be at, but mostly you'll get interviews from clubs around your rep level. I get laughed off a lot, so I know :(

Guest El Payaso

However, it isn't an issue that is created or accelerated by FM14.

Yeah and this is a feedback thread about the current situation of the game and that is what I am doing. Just trying to give my constructive feedback to the SI team and fingers crossed: in the future the game goes to direction that I would like it to go. :) You do remember that we had sliders in previous versions which many of us (including me) were only using and now it is more limited compared to that. And all that I am saying is that those who like to tweak tactics really need more options in the future to get excited about the game. End of story.

Direct isn't necessarily "hoofball" either. I've played a direct game this season with my club and it was silky smooth football, getting it from defence to the front 3 quickly, mostly with passes to feet or into space.

Sure, but that shouldn't be a required philosophy at all the lower league clubs along with defensive style IMO. I don't want to commit to that so I can't add it in interviews. Frankly I don't think it is realistic for so many of them to demand it because surely in most cases that style has developed through necessity and fans certainly wouldn't object to a more expressive approach.

You do remember that we had sliders in previous versions which many of us (including me) were only using and now it is more limited compared to that. And all that I am saying is that those who like to tweak tactics really need more options in the future to get excited about the game. End of story.

Yep, but the absence of sliders has zero to do with the fact that people may or may not be gravitating towards certain formations.

EDIT - to elaborate: Whilst people adapt from the slider era to the current UI, it may be that there is increased reliance on downloaded tactics.

If those tactics tend to operate from the same formation base, then that may explain the apparent prevalence of particular formations being used.

Sure, but that shouldn't be a required philosophy at all the lower league clubs along with defensive style IMO. I don't want to commit to that so I can't add it in interviews. Frankly I don't think it is realistic for so many of them to demand it because surely in most cases that style has developed through necessity and fans certainly wouldn't object to a more expressive approach.

I've had clubs predicted to finish last ask me if I would be prepared to play attacking football! Needless to say, I didn't quite agree.

I start off by adding as little as possible, but those interviews are rarely successful. Eventually I started adding more philosophies and making promises to work with lesser budgets and someone is usually then dumb enough to hire me :D

I think you can get away with the slightly agree/disagree philosophies, but where possible, try and add the moderately/strongly agree philosophies.

Must say, credit where credit is due - David91 made a very good point about the tactical options - and it reminded me of something wwfan said a long time ago - about being able to give more specific styles of instructions, rather than the usual/default style.

It would be very good if we could adapt our pressing instructions, our passing instructions etc, for slightly different styles.

Agreed, I think he spoke about the defensive winger(?) as a specific example. A role I feel that should have more flexibility.

I've had clubs predicted to finish last ask me if I would be prepared to play attacking football! Needless to say, I didn't quite agree.

I start off by adding as little as possible, but those interviews are rarely successful. Eventually I started adding more philosophies and making promises to work with lesser budgets and someone is usually then dumb enough to hire me :D

I think you can get away with the slightly agree/disagree philosophies, but where possible, try and add the moderately/strongly agree philosophies.

I guess you've been lucky then. I've had exactly one club during that job hunting spell ask for attacking football, which I agreed with but still didn't get the job. The vast majority of the others have at least slightly agree on direct and defensive.

Edit. Finally got a job. Got around the direct and defensive philosophies by agreeing to make the most of set pieces and signing youth players. I can live with that I guess. Got three other offers as well so the key indeed seems to be to agree to two philosophies the board also agree with.

I guess you've been lucky then. I've had exactly one club during that job hunting spell ask for attacking football, which I agreed with but still didn't get the job. The vast majority of the others have at least slightly agree on direct and defensive.

Edit. Finally got a job. Got around the direct and defensive philosophies by agreeing to make the most of set pieces and signing youth players. I can live with that I guess. Got three other offers as well so the key indeed seems to be to agree to two philosophies the board also agree with.

Not really related to interview demands, but since we're talking about it joblessness...

I'm unemployed, again. Applied to a few clubs, including Naval and Seekirchen on June 26. On 28 June, I get messages that both clubs "laugh off" my interest. I've become used to that, so I brush it off.

It's July 1st and I've just been offered interviews at both the clubs. I guess they didn't have as many applicants as they were hoping for! :D

Edit: Naval will be disappointed that I thought they were the Spanish side and that's why I applied. Turns out these guys are Chilean!

Not really related to interview demands, but since we're talking about it joblessness...

I'm unemployed, again. Applied to a few clubs, including Naval and Seekirchen on June 26. On 28 June, I get messages that both clubs "laugh off" my interest. I've become used to that, so I brush it off.

It's July 1st and I've just been offered interviews at both the clubs. I guess they didn't have as many applicants as they were hoping for! :D

It used to be a bug pre 14.3 where everyone laughed you off whether they were going to offer you a job or not. Didn't see this during my year of unemployment in this save, but I guess it's still not completely resolved then.

It used to be a bug pre 14.3 where everyone laughed you off whether they were going to offer you a job or not. Didn't see this during my year of unemployment in this save, but I guess it's still not completely resolved then.

I don't think it is an issue in this case. Usually I get laughed off and not offered an interview at all. This time these two laughed me off, even though they're weak clubs, but they're in countries I haven't managed before so maybe my rep is too low in that country. June 30 is end of the season, so I guess with there being so many clubs needing managers, they scraped the bottom of the barrel and invited me.

I'm getting enough interviews if I apply to all clubs. At the moment I'm manually applying for positions and I think I'm aiming a little high. I'm hoping I get a club willing to take a chance on me.

I don't think it is an issue in this case. Usually I get laughed off and not offered an interview at all. This time these two laughed me off, even though they're weak clubs, but they're in countries I haven't managed before so maybe my rep is too low in that country. June 30 is end of the season, so I guess with there being so many clubs needing managers, they scraped the bottom of the barrel and invited me.

I'm getting enough interviews if I apply to all clubs. At the moment I'm manually applying for positions and I think I'm aiming a little high. I'm hoping I get a club willing to take a chance on me.

Might be. On a similar subject, the laughing off notice is an instance where I think SI's copywriters need to think of a better phrasing. It sounds unprofessional and totally unnecessary. I mean there actually do exist ways of politely turning a person down. Even that guy who applied for the Middlesbrough job on the basis of his FM CV didn't get laughed off :D

Archived