There and Back Again. A Football Manager's tale by SRL88

SRL88

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bbc-sport-hr-253.jpg

Steven Longstaff Appointed new Northampton Town Manager

150px-Northampton_Town_FC_logo.png

Northampton Town Football Club have today announced the appointment of Steven Longstaff as their new Manager having joined them from Belgian side FC Bleid-Molenbeek on a one and a half year deal. A press conference was held at Sixfields Stadium today at lunch time as Longstaff faced the English media for the first time. On being appointed Longstaff said 'I am delighted to have been given the opportunity here to help take the club forward'.

Longstaff sat alongside Chairman David Cardoza as he was introduced as the clubs new Manager and Cardoza was just as pleased to have gotten his man. 'We have followed the fantastic work which Steven had done in Belgium and felt that he would be a perfect appointment for our club. He is a driven individual who isnt afraid to say what he is thinking and that is exactly the type of person we were after. He was the only candidate which we interviewed and was always the clubs first choice. We are delighted to bring him to Sixfields'.

When asked about his decision to leave Belgium Longstaff said 'I thoroughly enjoyed my two and a half years in Belgium, but since being promoted to the Belgacom League which was a fantastic achievement for the club, things got a lot more difficult. Although the club turned semi-professional, I wasnt given the money I needed to strengthen the squad and I have been working on a shoestring budget with the smallest squad you can imagine. Things werent helped by the club forcing me into an apology over applying for a new job and my relationship with the Chairman and fans became strained. I felt like this was a perfect opportunity for me and one I had to take'.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-26.png

SRL88's Career - Northampton Town FC

Getting Started

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-4-2.png

So two and a half years into my managerial career I have moved for the first time and this time to Northampton Town Football Club. I'm actually excited about the challenge and feel that I left Bleid at the right time. Although doing extremely well in Belgium, the squad I had was wafer thin and it was such a struggle to keep them fit and playing every game. At least here I am joining a club with a squad in place and one which is alread full-time.

Name: Northampton Town Football Club

Nickname: The Cobblers

Founded: 1897

Stadium: Sixfields Stadium (7,653 all-seater)

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-27.png

Welcome to Northampton

NorthamptonTownFCPressConferenceAnnounce6jh4pwzYtd2l.jpg

sixfields.jpg

Great thread SRL! I think you are inspiring me to start my first ever journeyman career. I don't know why but this is the first year ever that my Liverpool save isnt giving me the same enjoyment it once used to. I think its time for a change.

Cobblers! (No, it's true!) :cool:

Probably a good time to move on, although I would have been interested to see if you could have kept up your good start up in Belgium.

They have started well without me and won their first game since my departure 2-1.

Great thread SRL! I think you are inspiring me to start my first ever journeyman career. I don't know why but this is the first year ever that my Liverpool save isnt giving me the same enjoyment it once used to. I think its time for a change.

Cheers fella :). I appreciate the kind words. I was a one club save person myself but I fancied a change and after my journeyman save last year I decided to continue it onto FM13.

Good Luck in England now!

Cheers fella :thup:.

Nooo I liked Belgium. Could've gone all the way up to the top level already this season, would've been brilliant. :(

Good luck in Northampton.

I enjoyed Belgium, but it was becomming a struggle to continue at the level I had been with the squad I had available. That, plus I was always at war with the Chairman who wouldnt give me any money at all for ANYTHING.

I think potentially for your career staying in Belgium and getting a top-level job there, whether by promotion or a new club, would probably have been your best bet for getting to the top quickly. That said, you're probably not too concerned about the speed of your rise since it's pretty meteoric as it is!

Belated congrats on the title/promotion, and the new job. :thup:
Nice work mate. GL back in England

Thank you kindly :thup:.

I think potentially for your career staying in Belgium and getting a top-level job there, whether by promotion or a new club, would probably have been your best bet for getting to the top quickly. That said, you're probably not too concerned about the speed of your rise since it's pretty meteoric as it is!

I would rather enhance my reputation than just rise to the top quickly. I worked hard in Belgium and built my reputation up well in that country, but I am a nobody in England so its time for me to do similar here.

Have to say, I was enjoying the Belgian campaign, but no manager would turn down that move realistically.

Best of luck.

Cheers dude :thup:

SRL88's Career - December 2014 - Northampton Town FC

League Two

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule.png

npowerFootballLeagueTwo_OverviewStages-1.png

A pretty solid start to life as manager of Northampton. We kicked my reign off with a solid performance, but a defeat away to Chesterfield before a very good win away to Exeter. We then faced a a strong defence in Burton who played with their backs to the walls after scoring in the opening minutes. Our pressure told though as we found two goals to give us back-to-back wins. This was followed up with a good win over Wrexham before ending the month with a poor performance and defeat away to Luton.

Good start at Northampton, the table looks very tight, is it too late to mount a serious push for the play-offs?

I havent looked that far up the table. I'm focussed on helping the club preserve their league status, but you never know what can happen with a good run of form and the right signings in January.

Despite the two loses, that's a very good opening few games with Northampton in my opinion. Well done. :thup:

Cheers as always Tom :thup:.

Good decision to go to Northampton I think. Decent start with them as well, already getting 3 wins.

Thank you kindly :)

SRL88's Career - January 2015 - Northampton Town FC

League Two

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule-1.png

npowerFootballLeagueTwo_OverviewStages-2.png

A pretty solid month on reflection as we faced some pretty tough teams. The month started with a pretty tough game at home to Oxford which saw us match them all over the park. Neither team could find the breakthrough though as we both settled for a draw. We then travelled to a Rochdale side sitting 4th at the time and put in a fantastic display as we walked out comfortable 2-1 winners. A solid performance away to Bradford followed, but we conceeded pretty late on to deny us what would have been a well deserved point. A draw at home to Crawley followed before a cracking game against Hartlepool which saw us come out on top of an eight goal thriller.

Transfers - In

Dino Islamovic - Free - My first signing as Northampton manager and what a brilliant signing he is. A good all-round forward who should score plenty of goals at this level.

Scot Bennett - £60k - We were really lacking in the DM position so I needed to strengthen and this guy is an excellent signing. He will slot straight into the side.

Derrick Williams - Loan - A deadline day signing who will add depth and quality to the squad.

Graham Stack - £5k - A valuable signing with experience on his side. He will be a back-up as we needed one.

Liam Tomsett - Loan - A good loan signing who will get some game time at the club.

Marc McKenzie - £75k - My biggest signing of the window but adds a lot of class in an area we were lacking.

Transfers - Out

We didnt make much money during the month, but I got rid of players rotting in the reserves who were eating up wages which could be spent on players elsewhere.

Still a bit of squeaky bum time, but close enough to still shoot up away from danger.

We arent far off the relegation zone, but I am not too worried about it if I am honest. We are better than the sides below us so we should be ok.

SRL88's Career - February 2015 - Northampton Town FC

League Two

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule-2.png

npowerFootballLeagueTwo_OverviewStages-3.png

Looking at the results this was a mixed month, but based on the fixtures, this was a very good month. We kicked things off with an excellent performance away to Bristol Rovers and were leading until the final 10 minutes when two quickfire goals cost us. It was such a shame as we were excellent all game long. Another brilliant performance followed against Kidderminster which saw us fall behind, but battle back really well to give us a point. February rounded off with a brilliant 2-0 win at home to Gillingham as we pulled away from the drop zone.

Great news on the youth facilities mate.

Tis indeed :).

Back on board for this one SRL88 - I missed most of last year's effort, only joining in when (I think) you were tearing things up at Milan. I'll be following this one closely though. Doing really well so far.

Glad to have you following from the start this time :thup:.

SRL88's Career - March 2015 - Northampton Town FC

League Two

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule-3.png

npowerFootballLeagueTwo_OverviewStages-4.png

A brilliant month as we remained unbeaten for the first time under my management. We opened the month by taking a brilliant draw off recentley promoted side Walsall. We followed this up with another draw in a right old battle away to Port Vale. We finally turned those draws into 3pts at home to Fleetwood as we controlled for large periods but had to wait until the second half to break the deadlock through Ryan Noble. We added a second late on to seal the game. The month was rounded with an back to the wall job, but a brilliant 3-1 win away to Southend.

Looking good at Northampton - a nice turnaround from when you took over. I guess with the youth facilities being upgraded, the club must be in a decent financial position.

Cheers fella :thup:.

Yeah the finances are pretty good. Something like £1.5m in the black.

Archived