There and Back Again. A Football Manager's tale by SRL88

SRL88

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As tomtuck says, a steady first season in League One so far :thup:. Leeds falling on harder times :D;)

Cheers dude. Leeds are having a tough time. They sacked their manager not long ago.

Good to see your doing well,hopefully you can pull further away from the relegation zone.

Cheers fella :thup:.

150px-Northampton_Town_FC_logo.png

SRL88's Career - November 2016 - Northampton Town FC

League One

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule_zpsadd9e4c3.png

npowerFootballLeagueOne_OverviewStages_zps1e86d986.png

A very good month in an overload of away fixtures which could have gone very badly. We were brilliant at The Ricoh as we completely tore through Coventry. Jermaine Beckford was on fire on the day, grabbing a brace, whilst also setting up the other two in a 4-1 thumping. We travelled to the south coast to play Portsmouth and shocked everyone when we took the lead. Just as it looked like we were heading towards all three points, Portsmouth levelled things in the 90th minute to deny us the win. A pretty solid draw away to the MK Dons followed before we were comprehensively beaten away to Brentford. The month ended well though we we comfortably beat Stevenage 2-0 at Sixfields.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy South Quater-Final

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule-2_zpsf247cdd4.png

A solid win away from home which we fell behind in. We turned the game around very well with Darren Pratley, captain for the day getting us back into the game. We added a second and third in quick succession to take the win. We face a strong Brentford side at home in the Semi-Final.

You still playing demontegnac? He seems like a good player :) you going to stay with northampton or move on in the near future, personally i love reading about northampton! :)

He left at the end of the season after refusing to sign a new deal. He is currently playing for Hamilton.

I havent got anything planned for Northampton. It depends what job I get offered. For example, if one of the big clubs in League One approach me like Leeds, Birmingham, Pompey etc then I would probably leave. Otherwise I have no plans too.

Going very well in your first season in this league, just a quick question have you updated to the next patch yet on this save? if yeah, from which game?

I patched up late last night. Not sure which game, but I suspect around September.

SRL88's Career - December 2016 - Northampton Town FC

League One

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule_zpsd8169345.png

npowerFootballLeagueOne_OverviewStages_zpsdc07f2f5.png

A pretty solid month, but thank God for our home form because we were absolutely shocking in our three away games during the month. Yeovil comfortably beat us, but we put in a solid performance against Carlisle to claim a 3-1 win. An excellent performance against Doncaster which was helped along by two own-goals, but three goals in 10 minutes resulted in a 5-0 thumping. We followed this up with a late goal against Exeter to give us all three points before another poor away showing against Leyton Orient. Just ONE DAY later we faced Kidderminster and my tired side clawed out a 2-0 win. Another shocking performance, this time at Colchester followed as we were comprhensively beaten 3-0.

We have a very tough run of form coming up with Leeds (A), Hartlepool (A), Millwall (H) and Bury (H) so we really need to get something out of these four games.

Good work, GD suggests you ought to stay in the playoffs. Hope you stay there, guessing you're pretty reliant on Beckford's form?

It is more optimism rather than realism regarding the play-offs. If I am honest, I would be happy if we can just continue to be competitive until the end of the season.

Think you may be over performing a bit,keep up the good work :D

We have had a brilliant season. The two loan signings we have made in January too :cool:.

Good to see Beckford banging goals in :cool: Surprised to see Birmingham in League 1 :eek:

He has been fantastic so far this season. Really chuffed with his work.

Beckford is certainly driving you onwards. At this rate, you'll get at least a good mid-table position - hopefully a push for the play-offs is on.

Interesting to see the Scottish Leagues - Dundee Utd winning the league twice before Celtic wrestled control back. Looks like United are overpowered. Again.

Have you had any other rumblings of job offers since joining Northampton?

Have you had any other rumblings of job offers since joining Northampton?

I have had 1 offer which was from Rotherham, and bits of interest from Leeds, Coventry & MK Dons. I declared my interest in the Leeds job and although they said they were flattered, they said they couldnt afford the compensation fee which makes you wonder how bad their finances are.

I have had 1 offer which was from Rotherham, and bits of interest from Leeds, Coventry & MK Dons. I declared my interest in the Leeds job and although they said they were flattered, they said they couldnt afford the compensation fee which makes you wonder how bad their finances are.

Yeah, doesn't sound great. Is there a certain league or team that you would jump ship for at this stage?

Is it me, or have you found a bogey team in Colchester???

We certainly don't seem to do well against them.

Yeah, doesn't sound great. Is there a certain league or team that you would jump ship for at this stage?

If Leeds had offered me the job, or either of the other two I mentioned I would have probably left so really any of the bigger clubs in the league. Pompey, Birmingham etc. Or if a Championship club came in for me.

Were you not tempted to resign as that would have left Leeds free to approch you?

Not really. I'm enjoying myself at Northampton. If I wasnt then it would be a different matter but I could have shot myself in the foot as I may not have been approached anyway.

Not really. I'm enjoying myself at Northampton. If I wasnt then it would be a different matter but I could have shot myself in the foot as I may not have been approached anyway.

To be fair i have a dislike for Northampton so im hoping you leave soon, anywhere will do :cool:. Dislike or not, doing a great job with them.

To be fair i have a dislike for Northampton so im hoping you leave soon, anywhere will do :cool:. Dislike or not, doing a great job with them.

Fair do's :D.

Solid month, with a good run of form its not impossible to get an automatic promotion spot.

Yeah that isnt going to happen.

Good to see Franchise at the bottom of the table. Hopefully they'll go down. :D

Harsh words :p.

great season so far! you're just too good for this every club you go to you bring success you did it on your journeyman save last year and this one. :applause:

Haha cheers dude. Much appreciated :).

SRL88's Career - January 2017 - Northampton Town FC

League One

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule_zps868c1732.png

npowerFootballLeagueOne_OverviewStages_zps35d46c88.png

A very, very tough month for us. We faced some massive teams for this level of football and their class showed. The month kicked off in fine fashion as we grabbed a massive win for the club away to Leeds. Despite falling behind in the game, a penalty changed things which Beckford dispatched against his old club. We scored two goals in the final 10 minutes to seal the win. What followed though was hard to take. We were poor at a very good Hartlepool side who dispatched us easily and then we put in a solid performance against Millwall, but they were to strong for us as we lost 2-1. The month rounded off with defeat at Rotherham. We were 2-0 down before pulling a goal back and just when we looked like scoring, we conceded and it was a similar story when we added a second to make it 3-2.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy South Semi-Final & Final 1st Leg

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule-2_zps8839878c.png

We're on course for another trip to Wembley with two fantastic performances. We kicked the New Year off with a solid win at home to Brentford to set up a tie against Ipswich who we destroyed at home. We were simply brilliant and tore their defence to pieces. As long as we arent complacent, we must be headed back to Wembley.

Transfers - In

Giles Barnes - Loan - A very good loan signing for the club. We needed a right winger as we were relying on one man so it is good to have options now.

David Goodwillie - Loan - Another superb signing for the club. He is truely fantastic and will take the heat off Beckford.

Still going good for your first season in League 1.Very impressive victory over Ipswich in the JPT,hopefully you van negate through the second leg.

Cheers fella :thup:. We should be able to get past Ipswich now, but I hope those words dont come back to bite me in the arse.

Shame about the drop in form but Hartlepool and Millwall were always going to be difficult.

Yeah they were so I'm not surprised. Still a very impressive season thus far.

Everyone's hammering us at home these days.

:D

SRL88's Career - February 2017 - Northampton Town FC

League One

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule_zpsb8b37673.png

npowerFootballLeagueOne_OverviewStages_zpsc41c775e.png

A mixed month for us as we begin to slip away from the play-off's. The month started well as we came from a goal down to grab a 2-1 win with David Goodwillie scoring the winner. We followed this up with a battling draw away to Wycombe. We were 2-0 down when Jermaine Beckford stepped off the bench to bring us back into the game with a fine solo effort and with minutes remaining, dispatched a penalty to grab us a point. The month rounded off at home to Birmingham. We took the lead in the game, but Birmingham hit back straight away. They took the lead before half time and despite putting them under a lot of pressure, we just couldnt break them down.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy South Final 2nd Leg

NorthamptonTown_FixturesSchedule-2_zpsc478767b.png

Well we got the job done thanks to an early goal. That seemed to flatten Ipswich as they rarely threatened and we comfortably saw the game out to book a trip to Wembley for the second season in a row.

The Final will see us face Crewe.

Archived