There and Back Again. A Football Manager's tale by SRL88

SRL88

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well well, just found your new career thread. Very pleased to see such good progress so soon. Would stay where you are for the time being. Like others have said you've got a new ground on the way, more money coming in (if the loan repayments aren't too high) and I think the fans would like to see what you can do for the club this season. You can secure full time contracts now I assume so should give you some more stability. Stick around.

PS. If the loan repayments are too high, speak to Carol Vorederman. She can consolidate them into one easy to afford payment!

Keep up the good work

Great job on winning the league, promotion, new stadium, and a job offer to boot! I agree with the rest is saying that remaining with Bleid is what I would do. I would just want to see what the new league will be like, especially now that you can sign players to contracts being semi-pro. There's a lot of change already! :)

Not to Grimsby, I'd stick with Bleid for a while longer, at least see how you start the next season after an excellent promotion. :thup:
Very tough choice there. Big risk staying where you are but your building something good.

Not forgetting Grimsby is a big fish town, the smell will be woeful.....

Stay with Bleid...

Not Grimsby.

New stadium, new league. You stay and run the table!

No to Grimsby! If you do well in the second tier, you might get even better offers.
Congrats on the promotion :cool: I would stick with your current team :thup: Errr, how big will the new stadium be? As it doesn't say on that news..
Well well, just found your new career thread. Very pleased to see such good progress so soon. Would stay where you are for the time being. Like others have said you've got a new ground on the way, more money coming in (if the loan repayments aren't too high) and I think the fans would like to see what you can do for the club this season. You can secure full time contracts now I assume so should give you some more stability. Stick around.

PS. If the loan repayments are too high, speak to Carol Vorederman. She can consolidate them into one easy to afford payment!

Keep up the good work

Great job on winning the league, promotion, new stadium, and a job offer to boot! I agree with the rest is saying that remaining with Bleid is what I would do. I would just want to see what the new league will be like, especially now that you can sign players to contracts being semi-pro. There's a lot of change already! :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will reject the Grimsby job when it comes back round to being offered it again.

To answer any questions asked, the stadium capacity will be 6,490, up from the 600 capacity we're in now. The loan repayments are something like £14k per month until 2029 so it shouldnt be to much of an effect really and we are around £240k in the black at the minute so the finances are ok.

The problem I am going to have is signing players. I have had to tie players down to deals so that they dont get poached off me which means my wage budget is beginning to get used up.

Awesome thread! Keep this going SRL88.

I love your threads. This gives me the urge to do a similar one and start unemployed like yourself

Can I ask what formation/tactics you were using with your team? You didn't have a great deal to work with initially and it'd be interesting to see how you coped with that.

I think something slightly more exotic than Grimsby should be your next destination.

Hopefully it won't be to far away.

What teams are in the second tier? I'm curious.

Did you get a new parent team?

Belgecom League

I havent got a new parent club. Still Standard, but they wont send me any players and the board wont allow me to have another one.

All going swimmingly it seems! Keep it up :)

Cheers fella :thup:.

Awesome thread! Keep this going SRL88.

I love your threads. This gives me the urge to do a similar one and start unemployed like yourself

Can I ask what formation/tactics you were using with your team? You didn't have a great deal to work with initially and it'd be interesting to see how you coped with that.

Thank you for the kind words :).

Current Tactics - Although negative, it has been the base for us being defensively strong.

Good to see you rejected Grismby,you will probably better offers from better clubs in the near future.

Haha it seems like I had no choice with all the feedback :p.

Just to let you guys know, expect the club to get relegated quicker than you can imagine. I barely have a squad together and I can't sign any players due to having signed my current squad to new deals which has taken up my wage budget.

29b0gsi.png

SRL88's Career - Season Preview - 2014/15 - FC Bleid-Molenbeek

Board Expectations:

Belgacom League: Stay Clear of Relegation

Cofidis Cup: Reach the Fourth Round

My Expectations:

Belgacom League: With the current squad, and the fact that I can't sign anyone, I dont think we stand a chance

Cofidis Cup: A big money tie away to Anderlecht would be nice

Budgets:

Transfer: £0

Wage: £2,265k per week (Currently spending £2,774k per week)

Balance: £179,101k (+£134,726 since last season)

Good challenge then :D

Challenge? I think its more than that.

Wing and a prayer needed then!

A few bottles of scotch may be needed after each game.

Best of luck,think you'll need it :D

I will post my squad in a bit :thdn:.

Your really struggling at centreback there!

I really cant sign anyone at all. All the players left at the end of the season because they were on amateur contracts and were offered a proper deal elsewhere. No one is interested on joining me on loan either.

29b0gsi.png

SRL88's Career - Pre-Season - 2014/15 - FC Bleid-Molenbeek

Friendlies

RWDMBleid_FixturesSchedule-20.png

A very mixed pre-season but it was more than we could asked for with the squad we have so I can't really complain. We have a lot of work to do defensively, but at least we scored a few goals along the way.

Transfers - In

Stijn Van der Kelen - Free - Our new number one, and he isnt great either. I'm not joking when I say we're struggling.

Yakhouba N'Diaye - Free - A very diverse player which will come in very handy as he may be required to cover numerous positions this season.

Quentin Vanderbecq - Free - A pretty solid player who will offer a lot down the right hand side.

Transfers - Out

A lot of departures, and mainly ones who had agreed to leave last season and there nothing I could do about it. We havent saved any wages anywhere, and we are now short of players. Wonderful.

LogoDeStandaard.gif

Longstaff Forced into Public Apology

Following the news that FC Bleid Manager Steven Longstaff had applied for the vacant post at Russian Second Division side Sibir, the Blied board reacted by giving Longstaff an ultimatum. Either apologise for his actions, or resign. Rather than face the prospect of being out of work, Longstaff opted to apologise saying 'I regret the decision I made to apply for the Sibir job. The Bleid board have been nothing but fantastic since my arrival and they were kind enough to give me my first ever opportunity in club management. I wish to put this behind me and help the club move forward. It occured in the heat of the moment due to the struggles over the Summer, but on reflection I feel that I owe it to the board to stick with the club this season'.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-24.png

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-2-5.png

I've never understood the mentality of applying for a new job and being forced into an apology. Isn't that how any of us apply for a new job?! You don't give up the old job until the new one is secured? Last time I checked, a job wasn't a form of indentured servitude. Maybe that just my North American mentality showing through :)

Rant over :)

Looks like this season will be more about survival. Hopefully then you will be able to sign a more well rounded squad.

Short memories those fans have!!

That is the same as all fans really.

I've never understood the mentality of applying for a new job and being forced into an apology. Isn't that how any of us apply for a new job?! You don't give up the old job until the new one is secured? Last time I checked, a job wasn't a form of indentured servitude. Maybe that just my North American mentality showing through :)

Rant over :)

Looks like this season will be more about survival. Hopefully then you will be able to sign a more well rounded squad.

It seems like you enjoyed that rant :p. I fully understand what you are saying though. Its so bloody annoying. If we can survive this season, I will jump for joy.

29b0gsi.png

SRL88's Career - August 2014 - FC Bleid-Molenbeek

Belgacom League

RWDMBleid_FixturesSchedule-22.png

BelgacomLeague_OverviewStages-1.png

A very solid start to life in a new league. We got off to a flyer in the opener, taking the lead inside 10 minutes. Although we were pegged back, Ibrahim Some added a second for us as we went in at the interval leading. The second half was very end-to-end but it was Some who scored with just 5 minutes remaining to seal the game for us. This was followed up with a very solid draw at home to OH Leuven although we had the chances which could have won the game. The month rounded off with a very entertaining 2-2 draw away to Virton.

Cofidis Cup 4th & 5th Rounds

RWDMBleid_FixturesSchedule-2-11.png

We entered the competition a round later than the last two seasons, and kicked it off with a solid 2-0 win away from home. We then faced a trip to Virton which saw me rest numerous players, but were beaten by two late goals.

Transfer Deadline Day - Done Deal(s)

In

Maxime Gunst - Loan - Not my first choice position to strenghten, but its a player joining the club still and thats what we need.

Decent beginning to the league and nice to grab a loan finally :)

Cheers fella :). Yeah, I was chuffed to bring someone in, even if it wasnt someone who I really needed, it just bulks the squad out that little bit more.

Good start to life in the second tier.Hopefully you can keep away from any relegation battle.

It all depends on whether our squad stays fit.

Good start but the test will big test will come as the season goes and your squad gets stretched. Good luck for it :)

I couldnt agree more.

Can't we reincarnate a Chris Ord for you? Looks like a tough season ahead not much you can do put your head down and ride it out. Grimsby may start to look like a dream job come the end of the season! Good luck...

It isnt up front where the problem is, its at the back...

29b0gsi.png

SRL88's Career - September 2014 - FC Bleid-Molenbeek

Belgacom League

RWDMBleid_FixturesSchedule-23.png

BelgacomLeague_OverviewStages-2.png

Our excellent start to the campaign continued throughout September as we find ourselves at the dizzy heights of fifth place. We kicked the month off with a very good performance which shocked many against Charleroi and despite taking the lead, we couldnt hold on and conceeded through a one in a million effort. We lost our first game of the season to then leaders Lommel United but I was really pleased with our efforts during that game. Probably our poorest perforamce of the season followed against Woluwe-Zaventem and after taking the lead early on the game we had to resort to counter attacking football as we were put under a lot of pressure. Luckily, we held firm to hang on for our first win since the opening day. The month was rounded off with a very good game away to Aalst but we managed to edge it 3-2.

Solid enough start, a good sign is that you bounced straight back win 2 wins after your loss.

Cheers dude :thup:.

Looks like another epic SRL88 career is taking shape. I'm glad to be on board from the start this time. Your threads always make me want to start my own.

Haha lets hope so. I think I have found the way in which I will be playing FM onwards now :brock:.

29b0gsi.png

SRL88's Career - October 2014 - FC Bleid-Molenbeek

Belgacom League

RWDMBleid_FixturesSchedule-24.png

BelgacomLeague_OverviewStages-3.png

The fairytale start to the season continued, although in unspectacular fashion. We kicked the month off with a poor performance against RC Waregem as they controlled proceedings in the first half but we grew into things in the second, finally breaking the deadlock in the 66th minute and held on for all three points. We faced a tough away trip to FC Brussels and despite putting in a solid performance their class showed as they won 2-0. We were excellent against Antwerp and really took the game to them, scoring a famous 1-0 win thanks to a Ibrahim Some goal in the 72nd minute. The month rounded off with another 1-0 win away to WS Woluwe to leave us riding high in the league.

Just caught up with things since my last post in here. (Don't worry, I am following as keenly as ever!)

Well done getting promoted last term, and as champions as well. As for your pessimism about the upcoming, (or rather current), season, it looks as though it was massively misplaced - you have started the season outstandingly.

Keep it up dude. :thup:

Just caught up with things since my last post in here. (Don't worry, I am following as keenly as ever!)

Well done getting promoted last term, and as champions as well. As for your pessimism about the upcoming, (or rather current), season, it looks as though it was massively misplaced - you have started the season outstandingly.

Keep it up dude. :thup:

It has been tough I must say. Up until now I havent had any serious injuries, although in November one of my central midfielders received an injury which will keep him out for 3-4 months. Things like that will really stretch us to the limits so its all about how we handle having a thin squad.

There is no denying that we have had a brilliant start which has resulted in confidence being very high which is why the run is probably continuing. Had we received a few spankings at the start of the season we'd probably have struggled.

great job :applause:

Cheers fella :thup:.

29b0gsi.png

SRL88's Career - November 2014 - FC Bleid-Molenbeek

Belgacom League

RWDMBleid_FixturesSchedule-25.png

BelgacomLeague_OverviewStages-4.png

Another pretty solid month as we continue to hang on in there with the teams at the top of the league. November kicked off with an excellent performance and result at home to Waasland-Beveren with Tuta & Some grabbing the goals. We were average away to Eupen and deserved a 2-0 defeat. We bounced back however with a 1-0 win at home to Roeselare despite a laklustre performance before we put a brilliant one in at home to Oostende to grab a very good win. The month was rounded off with our worst performance of the season as we went down 3-0.

StevenLongstaff_NewsInbox-25.png

The first time someone has approached me since turning down the Grimsby job.

So, do I take over a club currently struggling in League 2 or do I stick with a club in the second teir of Belgian football where I am working wonders, but it is getting more & more difficult as time goes on due to the lack of depth in the squad.

Archived