If you're English...do you still hate the German Football team like you used to?

Rebs

Do you hate the German national football team as much as you did?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hate the German national football team as much as you did?

• Yes...I still hate them...they are enemy number 1
    • No...I don't mind them now...in fact I rather like watching them

Was thinking this just as I posted in the match thread that I don't really have that usual stereotypical hatred for the German national football team like I used to 'back in the day.'

I think this is because of the more attractive football that they play nowadays and their attacking flair...haven't really even heard the word 'efficiency' used by any of the pundits when describing them this year.

So...imagine the Germans were playing our other typical rivals...the French and the Scots...would you want the Germans to lose like we used to?

I would happily want them to beat the French and the Scots at the moment.

Xenephobia...great aint it ;)

Speaking as a Scotsman there's quite a few of my English mates who have really mellowed towards the German team, couple of them have actually been spporting Germany as their second team in this tournament. The style of football has been a big part of that.

Personally speaking I don't hate any national side, including the English....though I reserve the right to give my English mates absolute pelters when anything goes wrong for them though :D What else are mates for though....

National rivalry...like the way Holland and Germany hate each other..y'know...history and all that!

I don't know, I can't bring myself to hate someone or something because of football. Rivalry is one thing, hate is completely another.

I don't know, I can't bring myself to hate someone or something because of football. Rivalry is one thing, hate is completely another.

Yeah...can see that...meant rivalry really and the idea that you want someone to lose...hate a bit strong probs...I only really hate Arsenal and gooner fans :D

Not as much as back in the day but obviously I still don't exactly cheer them on as I don't cheer anyone else on. There are some matches though where I may prefer them to win over the other side which you may not have been able to say in the past :D

Germany are much more likeable these days as the players don't appear to be arrogant cocks, as was the impression they gave off in the 90s - e.g. Moeller after scoring the winning penalty in the Euro 96 semi.

• Administrators

Nah, never have. In fact Thomas Hassler is one of my favourite players of all time. Dreaded coming up against them in any tournament, but that was just common sense.

National rivalry...like the way Holland and Germany hate each other..y'know...history and all that!

That rivalry has considerably simmered down over the years too. Many people here had the Germans as their second team at the WC 2010, which would have unthinkable 20 years earlier.

To spice things up a bit, maybe: the Germans consider the English their greatest rivals. Nothing better than to win against them. Ahead of Oranje and of Italy.

Archived