50% of the Final - Portugal vs Spain @ 7:45pm

gillsminnow

• Replies 655
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest avine
In a round about kind of way it shows confidence in his teammates

mark that under who gives a s***, they are out

Didn't look like that from the way Nani went over for his pen. Looked like they were making it up as they went along.

You nominate the order before you start and cant change you clown :D

As for Ronaldo, he misses in shootouts at 1 + 2 fairly frequently (by penalty shootout standards) but at no. 5 you'd expect him to score (disappointed the English have forgotten this). He's not a flawless Balotelli type penalty take, he has a tendency to feel pressure.

The shoot-out would probably be called off in that situation.

It would still be a shoot-out though :D

Also, as a player is mean't to be carded for feigning a pen like Nani did surely a player could get sent off in a shootout.

You can stop-start in international games since 2002

Could pull a hamstring while running up to take it.

You could also get struck by lightning, in this case I think the referee would just get the next guy on the list to take it...

Best kicker should always go first, always.

But by all accounts, this was Bento's decision of order of kickers. Which is why Nani chased down Alves.

Ronaldo isn't the best penalty taker in a shootout though, his record (especially at 1+2 is poor)

Also, as a player is mean't to be carded for feigning a pen like Nani did surely a player could get sent off in a shootout.

Yes, in which case it goes to the next player on the list. In theory you could gain an advantage by getting your worst taker sent off in the 11th round and thus allowing your best taker to take the 11th penalty :D I say in theory because you'd have to be monumentally stupid to do so

Yes, in which case it goes to the next player on the list. In theory you could gain an advantage by getting your worst taker sent off in the 11th round and thus allowing your best taker to take the 11th penalty :D I say in theory because you'd have to be monumentally stupid to do so

Particularly as for a lot of teams their goalie would take the last pen.

A penalty is basically a free-kick in the box, therefore if you can stutter on a FK you can stutter on a Pen. Hence why FIFA allow it now.

That kind of falls apart when you consider there's nothing stopping you from running up to the ball and then completely abandoning it in free kicks, which you can't on penalties

First Portuguese penalty that was missed? Ronaldo might have scored that, club mate in goal or not. The following confusion with Alves & Nani might not have happened, Alves wouldn't have been put 5th (probably Nani). Alves scores or doesn't score but he'd have a better chance making the long walk from the halfway line just once.

I was annoyed after the shootout and blasted Ronnie, but whether it was his decision to go 5th might come out in the next few days. I'm sure there might be a few journo's who would ask the question.

Actually, it was an average match. Portugal didn't even test Casillas, while Spain should have had someone more clinical in front of the opponent's goal.

Portugal were solid today and, unlike France, always pushed forward and covered to get the ball. But unfortunately, the attack wasn't as good as that in the previous games, and especially, Hugo Almeida was invisible. One question hanging in my head is the decision by Paulo Bento to bring Custódio in. The team was strong enough to make 120 minutes.

Spain did their usual job. Alba was exceptional today. On the other hand, Negredo looked weak. Vicente del Bosque may learn today that he has good players on the flanks.

I feel for Alves. I think he was nervous. You saw it when he forgot the order. But he was unlucky. I feel for him. You also saw that penalties are also about luck. Alves hit the bar and missed, while Fàbregas hit the post and scored.

Unlucky for Cristiano Ronaldo, but he'll still be able to do better in two years. Portugal have a good team and will have one better. Well done to Portugal and Spain.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Indaro viewpost-right.png

A penalty is basically a free-kick in the box, therefore if you can stutter on a FK you can stutter on a Pen. Hence why FIFA allow it now.

That kind of falls apart when you consider there's nothing stopping you from running up to the ball and then completely abandoning it in free kicks, which you can't on penalties

You probably get booked for time wasting.

think the penalty debate is doing a good job of hiding how dire ronaldo was all match. was awful against denmark too. will still probably get named in the team of the tournament, somehow.

Yeah, was fiddling around with the fourfourtwo statszone app and according to that during all of extra time he had 3 completed passes and won a free kick on the halfway line. That was it for positive contributions in 30 mins :/

Some quality penalties in the shootout. Will be interesting to see what comes out of the Portugal camp in the next few days over their penalty order and Ronaldo.

Probably the fact that without him they wouldn't have got as far and aren't as good without him...his position and performance really in question here? Jeez!

Did Ronaldo want to take the 5th? I find it hard to believe a Manager would not pick him at least in the top 4. It's always said the 4th pen is the most important. What did he mouth at the end there? I have never known a player be so aware the cameras are on him as Ronaldo. You wonder why some players do what they do on the pitch with so many cameras around but I get the feeling Ronaldo doesn't have this problem.

The Nani and Alves thing was just Alves going too early, apparently, got his order wrong so Nani corrected it and went up.

Everyone saying the game was awful I thought it was ok tbh not sure it deserved 9 yellow cards or whatever it was. Portugal didn't park the bus, actually came out

Archived