Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Need wingers so badly :o Kuyt, Maxi Bellamy and Aquilani's wages can go straight to Borini and Allen with a lot to spare, could contribute to the 15m quite effectively I would imagine. Seeing Podolski go for 8m, Kagawa for 14m, Cazorla 15m makes me further scared. But unless it's clearly obvious I don't justify a player's transfer fee until the day they have left the club, as somebody said above said about Henderson. These guys could have a solid 8 years at the club and will have developed and turned into a very good deal. The issue was when Kenny came in at that time the club should have concentrated on getting into the top 4 sooner than later, where they could then concentrate on the youth. Should have signed short-term quality instead of long term risks(Henderson, Carroll).

I'd love to see us reshow some interest in Griezmann.

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But what can we do with £25m from the sale of Agger realistically? Considering the need to replace him with, say, £10m of that, that leaves £15 million to go towards who? We don't need another striker unless Carroll goes, in which case we can use the proceeds from his sale. If we do get Allen then we're alright in midfield in my opinion, so we'd only end up buying squad players and whoever replaces Agger. Plus BR has said that he's not forced to sell any players at the moment in order to buy.

In short, I think detriment to the squad that selling Agger would bring would outweigh the benefit of the cash injection.

What sort of line-up can we expect tonight?

Heard Reina and Suarez are likely to start? Wonder will Agger.

The Bib theory (those who wore green bibs in training) would suggest the team will be:

Reina: Johnson, Enrique, Skrtel, Agger: Lucas, Gerrard, Shelvey: Borini, Downing, Suarez.

Bib Theory was correct in the first leg so hopefully its correct again as thats a decent line up IMO.

But what can we do with £25m from the sale of Agger realistically? Considering the need to replace him with, say, £10m of that, that leaves £15 million to go towards who? We don't need another striker unless Carroll goes, in which case we can use the proceeds from his sale. If we do get Allen then we're alright in midfield in my opinion, so we'd only end up buying squad players and whoever replaces Agger. Plus BR has said that he's not forced to sell any players at the moment in order to buy.

In short, I think detriment to the squad that selling Agger would bring would outweigh the benefit of the cash injection.

we are in desperate need of wingers. for those front 3 attacking positions we currently have downing, carroll, suarez, borini and cole. that is nowhere near good enough. it might also be the case that with the cash injection we can increase what we can afford to spend on one player and bring in a top attacking talent that was previously out of our price range

If we sold Agger(fuming) the money would go towards a replacement centre half and hopefully a 15m winger of some sort. It depends on which position Suarez will play, as I have previously said in the Rodgers formation I wouldn't be too suprised seeing him as one of the wingers/inside forwards cutting inside and roaming around the box. P.S how good is Coates and how is he coming along, obviously nowhere near Agger standard at present but would be interesting to see what role he has to play this year.

If we sold Agger(fuming) the money would go towards a replacement centre half and hopefully a 15m winger of some sort. It depends on which position Suarez will play, as I have previously said in the Rodgers formation I wouldn't be too suprised seeing him as one of the wingers/inside forwards cutting inside and roaming around the box. P.S how good is Coates and how is he coming along, obviously nowhere near Agger standard at present but would be interesting to see what role he has to play this year.

That's my point though, a '£15m winger of some sort' isn't gonna cut it, and is not worth scarificing our best defender.

we are in desperate need of wingers. for those front 3 attacking positions we currently have downing, carroll, suarez, borini and cole. that is nowhere near good enough. it might also be the case that with the cash injection we can increase what we can afford to spend on one player and bring in a top attacking talent that was previously out of our price range

You could probably add Sterling to that list, but you're right in that we're slightly weak in the wider areas, but only in terms of back-ups. Downing will surely have a better season than last, and Suarez/Borini will fill the other wide position, with the other or Carroll at CF. Unless there's someone else out there who we can pull out of the hat who will significantly improve our attack I'd rather keep Agger and have faith in the players we already have.

It's certainly been a while since we've had two good wingers, even our most successful seasons under Rafa we either had one winger that was largely rubbish, or had someone slotted in who wasn't a traditional winger.

Left - Kewell, Zenden, Riise, Gonzalez, Riera

Right - Garcia, Nunez, Pennant, Kuyt, Gerrard

You could probably add Sterling to that list, but you're right in that we're slightly weak in the wider areas, but only in terms of back-ups. Downing will surely have a better season than last, and Suarez/Borini will fill the other wide position, with the other or Carroll at CF. Unless there's someone else out there who we can pull out of the hat who will significantly improve our attack I'd rather keep Agger and have faith in the players we already have.

we are likely to have 55-60 games this season, possibly more. if you think we only need to worry about having a first xi and everyone else is back up you are deluded. I'd say the right £15m player could significantly improve that anyway. I mean Carzola just went for that much, and is a far better winger than anyone we have.

I think some of you are missing the point that he only has two years left on his deal and seems unwilling to extend that, it's not like the club are out actively shopping him.

Why do you say hes unwilling to extend this contract? Whats that based on?

Gaston Ramirez has been priced at £15.9m.

If Agger was to be sold (I hope he isn't) for £25m, we could afford him and a replacement for Agger. Some possible replacements I can think of off the top of my head are are Kjaer, Sakho, Criscito... I'm sure there's more.

But if we were to get Adam Johnson as part of the deal, we could get a top class replacement for Agger and have some pocket change left over.

Not hard to see why Rodgers would consider it.

Gaston Ramirez has been priced at £15.9m.

If Agger was to be sold (I hope he isn't) for £25m, we could afford him and a replacement for Agger. Some possible replacements I can think of off the top of my head are are Kjaer, Sakho, Criscito... I'm sure there's more.

But if we were to get Adam Johnson as part of the deal, we could get a top class replacement for Agger and have some pocket change left over.

Not hard to see why Rodgers would consider it.

Adam Johnson would be great, as I'm sure those 3 defenders would be. Would also hate it if Agger went but would be hard rejecting 25m when he has 2 years left, and is fairly soon turning 28, it really completely depends on the replacements!

Looks like the green bib theory was right.

Confirmed lineup: Reina; Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique; Gerrard, Shelvey, Lucas; Borini, Suarez, Downing.

Subs: Jones, Kelly, Carroll, Spearing, Henderson, Carragher, Adam.

Can assure you he wasn't, scores some great goals though.

this^^. flatters to deceive most of the time and you could use the 'MOTD player' argument with him no doubt. his defensive duties are virtually non existent aswell. massively overrated imo and ive never really wanted him at all.

we are likely to have 55-60 games this season, possibly more. if you think we only need to worry about having a first xi and everyone else is back up you are deluded. I'd say the right £15m player could significantly improve that anyway. I mean Carzola just went for that much, and is a far better winger than anyone we have.

Listen, I'm not against us spending money to improve the squad, quite the opposite. What I am against is selling our best players in order to do so. If Agger goes not only do we lose him but also the partnership he developed with Skrtel. If we're looking to improve or even maintain our league standing over the next season then I don't think we can afford to do it. I say, keep Agger for another year, bring Coates along and look for another CB in the January window or for next summer.

Archived