Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

Actually that Swansea fan (ME) has seen Allen play at youth team, reserve team, first team level - actually pretty much every game he's ever played at senior level - home and away. If anyone knows him it's him. How many times you seen him play DeafParrot?

Do you think he's on the level of Ramsey and Wilshere (the time before he was a coke head)?

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bollocks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1263176/Alberto-Aquilani-injury-woe-mind-hints-Liverpool-boss-Benitez.html

He was a fraud even in Benitez days. He is mentally weak and is a massive coward. He always has been.

Think that article is massively taken out of context tbh. Rafa was saying that sometimes the injury was probably preying on his mind and that they needed to work on him mentally to get him right. I also remember Rafa saying we will see the best of him once he gets a full pre-season under his belt, but sadly the club sacked him before we could see that and Roy kicked him out the door as soon as he arrived.

If Rafa had stayed, I think people would have seen Alberto in a completely different light as I am sure Rafa would have played him through the 2010-11 season for sure.

He's been kicked out by Roy and Rodgers as well now. His head wasn't in the game. There's no doubting his ability, but if you're a massive headcase, then there's not much you can do.

Hang on, you are saying he is a headcase, a fraud and a coward and you don't even know the lad. Roy was never going to keep him because he doesn't fit into a 4-4-2 traditional british style of play and he didn't fit into Kenny's 4-4-1-1 system either. I don't think his high wages helped much either, and it became financially sensible to move him on if he wasn't going to be in the first eleven.

Hang on, you are saying he is a headcase, a fraud and a coward and you don't even know the lad. Roy was never going to keep him because he doesn't fit into a 4-4-2 traditional british style of play and he didn't fit into Kenny's 4-4-1-1 system either. I don't think his high wages helped much either, and it became financially sensible to move him on if he wasn't going to be in the first eleven.

You're just assuming that they couldn't have accommodated him. There's nothing to suggest he couldn't in some form. It's more likely they looked at him in training, spoke to him and realised he wasn't up to the task and he wanted out.

I have been following and supporting Liverpool close to 30 years now and must say that things are not looking up for the club.

We lack technical, creative and speedy players in the midfield big time. Now we actually have 2 prominent midfielders Gerrard (He is also getting old and definately is not what he used to be) and Lucas. Rest well waste of money and squad space.

It pretty much foregone conclusion that C.Adam, J.Cole, J.Henderson, S.Downing, J.Spearing, J.Shelvey are mid table premierleague caliber at their best. Nothing more and never will be. Sad but true. All of them should be sold.

Really disgusting that we let Meireles, Aquilani, Benayoun etc go without getting good replacements. We have wasted so much on poor talent that heads should roll.

We have been linked with G.Ramirez calibre players... well NONE of these rumours have come through. It seems that only players that we might be getting are J.Allen (Who is young and 50/50 whether he actually turns out good. Potentially yes but who knows) and C.Dempsey (Who is close to 30 and definately is not CL calibre player. Never has been.. it seems we are only purchasing him because he is US). Taking the above into consideration we are not making progress... and unless the US owners actually start signing quality we will become sleeping giants with glorious past and no future.

The only bright spot at the midfield is R.Sterling who actually is great talent but still way off his peak.

We also have few quality players in other areas of the pitch. (Suarez, Coates, Borini, Agger.. and maybe Skrtel) ...Reina and Carragher have seen their best days so definately should not count on them. Also, I have an feeling that Agger is gone before the season starts.

Andy Carroll is intresting.. very very poor 2/3 of the season and seemed to pick up in late. Now it seems his confidence is again in the ruins and it seems that he is off as well.

Our new manager sure talks the talk about how we are going to play "Barca" style but with what players??? Our midfield is actually mid table premier league standard at best. So, talk is talk and how about we start delivering talent into squad that will turn into performances on the pitch!!!

Not very optimistic at the moment.. the good thing is that there is still time on the transfer market to show that we mean business.

We also should invest heavily into squad now since the core of Liverpool supporters are getting older around the globe. If we do not have quality players and start performing than that will also hurt the club in the longrun.

Not a fan of Ramirez to be honest, not sure how he would fit in with our system under Rodgers as we would probably need pace and mobility on the flanks and Ramirez likes to play in the hole. Would prefer Walcott tbh.

Bloody hell, Reina has one average season and now he's ready for the scrap heap.

If that comment was aimed at me than I would say that the past few seasons have been +average ..nothing spectacular by any means.

He does let in soft goals way too often.. not to say he is bad goalkeeper.

Than again it is NOT the goalkeeper department that our team is weak. It is midfield...

Just read that we are looking to loan players in... never thought I would see that day coming.

When our midfield is fit it's actually good, by which i mean if we're playing our strongest players. Lucas and Gerrard will complement each other well. Gerrard is past his best days but he proved in the Euros that he can still be quality in a more withdrawn role. Henderson and Shelvey are too young to write off yet and definitely deserve more than 1 season to prove themselves. This difference this season won't be in any particular department on the field, but how each one interacts with the other one. It's down to the manager to combine all of the elements of the team, time will tell if Rodgers is the man to do it.

Can the season hurry up and start, We have descended into silly season again :D

Good riddance to Aqua, did feck all to live up to his price tag and was shipped out by 3 succesive managers, who incidentally know more about him than any of us.

at the end of the day rafa voiced concerns about aquilani. hodgson got rid, kenny got rid, brendan got rid, juve and milan didn't want him after a season long loan. he's a talented lad but no-one wants him? i think you can level many criticisms at liverpool fc in the last few years but this is not one of them. it's a shame it didn't work out for him here but he just basically doesn't have it in him.

I agree on Aqua. Rodgers made it clear that he only wanted players with what he saw as the right mentality, Aqua clearly not one of those players. Means we can now spend his £125k a week on probably 2 players who actually want to be at the club. Just gotta get rid of C.Adam now and I'm happy. As long as we bring in a signing or two.

surely adam and spearing can be let go if we get allen? along with hendo and shelvey as back up its a decent set up and will leave us space to get another top midfielder in if need be instead of relying on them 2.

obviously we still need another attacking player of some sort aswell.

like ive said before taylor and butland would be excellent addition also.

It pretty much foregone conclusion that C.Adam, J.Cole, J.Henderson, S.Downing, J.Spearing, J.Shelvey are mid table premierleague caliber at their best. Nothing more and never will be. Sad but true. All of them should be sold.

All of them of them should be sold? You think top 6 clubs have top 6 players throughout their squad? Only City can really afford that can't they? Downing is fine as back up, Henderson is fine as back up, Shelvey is great as a 20 year old 4th/5th choice. In the same way that United manage with Tom Cleverly and Anderson as back up. We simply can't afford to have £100k a week players who aren't playing every week. Most of the top 6 have mid-table Premiership players as reserves. Only City have anything close to pure top 4 quality through their squad.

Our new manager sure talks the talk about how we are going to play "Barca" style but with what players??? Our midfield is actually mid table premier league standard at best. So, talk is talk and how about we start delivering talent into squad that will turn into performances on the pitch!!!

Borini? Allen? Both have played in a Rodgers 4-3-3 pressing + quick possession recycling style and have the exact attributes we are looking for to play that style. So it's not like you can accuse him of not trying to bring in players of that style.

A midfield of Lucas-Allen-Gerrard is not mid-table Premiership quality. Especially with Gerrard pushed into a more advanced position where he still looks like a CL footballer.

If you actually mean the wide forward positions, I agree with you and we should be looking for at least one more player as I am sure we are doing.

Why are we trying to convert Charlie Adam into a midfielder?

He played just off the striker at Blackpool didnt he?

He cant tackle, that much is obvious, he tends to dwell on the ball a bit too much which is dangerous in a deeper role.

At least give him a chance playing the role he did at Blackpool.

Or is he just a one season wonder??

Where did this 125K a week thing come from ? It's funny how people will latch onto media Bollocks as facts if it justifies their position but ignore whats in front if their eyes :)

Charlie Adam is a luxury player, a really really average one, but we knew that before we bought him.

They're not. Apparently we're still paying him out a sum a week to cover the gap between his Liverpool contract and his new viola one.

Would love to know exactly how much money we have wasted on Aquaman, signing on fees, wages, wages we paid for other clubs to take him on loan.

I assume he had a percentage pay rise in his contract, if the £125k a week figure is accurate. Taken for a ride doesnt cover it.

We were playing a behind closed doors friendly against Rochdale's first team at tonight. The game ended early though after injury to a Rochdale player. We were leading 2-1, Glen Johnson and Nathan Eccleston scored goals.

The LFC team was Reina, Johnson, Kelly, Agger, Robinson, Adam, Lucas, Shelvey, Eccleston, Carroll, Pacheco.

Must have been a fairly bad injury for it to be a game stopper?

Wasn't this the friendly to bring up Agger's fitness in particular?

Serious ankle injury apparently.

Sounds like we might have to start getting used to life without Agger - various rumours suggesting City and Barcelona are looking at him and he could be looking to leave. Hope to god they are wrong as he would be a big loss.

If the figure is very late teens or begins with a 2 it's not a total disaster. His injury record not the best & not sure he wil sign another contract. Got 2 years left I think. Not encouraged by talk about him replaced by another Swansea player hopefully it's just lazy journalism.

As long as we don't get ripped off, I think Agger is replacable. He is very good though and I wouldnt like to lose him.

he's definitely not replaceable by us. and that's not taking into account how crap we are in the market, simply that there are very few out there anywhere near as good as him and if there are there will be much more attractive options available to those players.

Looking at our current squad as it is right now, I'm fairly confident of a good season and champions league qualification. Here's what I think is our strongest first XI in Rodgers preferred 4-2-3-1 (4-3-3) system.

-----------------Reina------------------

Johnson---Skrtel-----Agger---Enrique

-------------Lucas---Henderson-------

-----------------Gerrard---------------

Suarez---------------------------Borini

-----------------Carroll-----------------

Subs: Jones, Kelly, Carragher, Adam, Spearing, Downing, Bellamy

Backup Goalkeeper: Gulasci

Backup Defenders: Flanagan, Robinson, Coates, Wilson

Backup Midfielders: Shelvey, Suso

Backup Wide Forwards: Cole, Sterling, Pacheco

Backup Centre Forward: Morgan, ?????

I think that firs XI is solid and Carroll would work perfectly well in this system. Maybe Rodgers won't fancy him there and will play Suarez centre with Downing or Bellamy in the wide position. Either way it's a strong side.

We've got good cover at the back, albeit a lot of inexperience. Losing Agger would be a massive blow but Carragher has another season in him and Kelly is a good option at CB which is his preferred position and where I think he will end up playing. Coates is also a great prospect and is a similar type of player to Agger, i.e. a footballing CB.

Midfield is a problem if we get a couple of injuries and it is obvious why Rodgers is chasing Allen so fervently. But if we remain injury free Henderson will be given a chance to shine in his preferred position. He has a fantastic engine and is ideally suited to Rodgers pressing system. Unfortunately, I don't think Spearing or Adam are good enough to make this system work. Allen (or a similar player) is a must buy.

The Gerrard role is another problem. It's unlikely that Gerrard will remain injury free for the entire season. If he is out we will rely on Jonjo Shelvey (or Suso could get a couple of games here) to play here. Gylfi Sigurrdsson would have been perfect but alas, he chose Spurs cash.

In the wide positions, Downing and Cole provide the main cover and are not terrible options but not world beaters either. Downing could find some form in this system and do well, here's hoping! We have also have the promising, but raw, Sterling who will be given his share of games this season if pre-season is anything to go by.

Centre forward cover is non-existent, no disrespect to Adam Morgan who is a great prospect but is not ready for first team action yet. For this reason alone, we will not let Carroll leave.

We're being linked heavily with Dempsey who could play in all of the forward positions and would be a great addition to the squad. Gaston Ramirez is also being linked. He would be an excellent addition also, but is young and has no EPL experience. His signing would be a signal of intent by FSG though.

In summary. If we keep the players we have now and don't have a major injury crisis, we can challenge for 4th.

Signing Allen, Dempsey and Ramirez would certainly improve our chances.

im waiting for something concrete before getting out the :(. can't blame the guy at all though

Would liken him to RvP. Had seasons of injury, undoubtedly talented enough to be doing far better, potentially wasting the best years of his career here if the last two are anything to go by.

Archived