Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gerrard so much better player further forward its unreal, like ive said before its criminal playing him any other way. suarez so :cool:

im most impressed with the confidence rodgers has seemed to give them in that first half, it counts for a lot especially at home where teams got under our skin last season.

overall so far :thup:

Liverpool owner John W Henry has risked the wrath of fans by opening the door to renaming their famous Anfield home.

The American has admitted he could raise funds by inviting sponsors to bid for the rights to put their name to the stadium which has been the club's home for 120 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2185982/Liverpool-consider-selling-Anfield-naming-rights.html

What would you guys think if that happened?

Joe Allen having a medical in the morning by all accounts so that one looks in the bag.

Classy performance tonight, very encouraging the way we pressed, passed and looked to attack - enjoyable to watch.

From the Guardian re Suarez "The Uruguayan was one of the lowest paid members of Liverpool's first team squad before signing a new contract that raised his weekly wage from £35,000 to almost £100,000 on Tuesday."

Surely he was on way more than £35k last season? Cole on almost 3 times as much? :D

no, hes a fullback who benefits from the space afforded from the winger. he'd be very much ineffectual as an attacking winger.

still, a good performance on the pitch which does instill a bit of confidence as cp intimated. lets hope we can turn that kind of performance in against the middle table clubs like west brom and sunderland that will give us a platform to build from.

Reina, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Allen, Gerrard, Borini, Suarez, Downing

If Liverpool could somehow unearth a Cristiano Ronaldo type wideman to leave Borini and Downing fighting for the other attacking spot, I swear to God that is an excellent line-up.

On paper the team looks good, my only problems are if we'll actually play that well in the league and the depth of the squad. Don't think we have any game changers on the bench and we'd be pretty ruined if Suarez got injured but theres still window left to go.

pretty much zero depth up front. all we have is a 17yr old kid, someone we've been trying to sell, and an aging, paceless player who is better centrally than outwide. Dempsey and a pacey winger, or another forward like Suarez/Borini who can play outwide, is essential.

Looked like a 2-4-4 to me :D We don't seem to be too worried about holding a high defensive line, the full backs attack pretty hard and Lucas and Shelvey pressed and squeezed the play into the final third as much as possible. Then you basically had a front four with Stevie occasionally dropping out of it to for a DM and two CMs in midfield.

Anyone still want to see Carroll in that? The way we were attempting to play?

I wanted him to come on just to see how he'd do. We were taking it wide a lot too, guess it helped that Suarez was dragging players all over the place though which would be pointless for Carroll to do as then he wouldn't actually be in the box.

Would like Rodgers to stick Johnson further up the pitch and stick Kelly at RB

Johnson is miles more effective making runs from deep as an attacking fullback, thought him and Downing looked a good combination yesterday.

Adam's first two passes straight after he came on were tremendous.

I just started laughing - he looked like a fish on a bicycle, just so uncomfortable. Even got caught in possession a couple of times thinking about where to pass the ball. Slow in the body, slow in the mind, and I just can't see where he will fit into this system at all. Hope Fulham come after him and take him off our hands.

Regarding further signings, I assume the idea is to sell Carroll and Bellamy and bring in either two replacements, or one replacement and put a lot of faith in Sterling.

Looked like a 2-4-4 to me :D We don't seem to be too worried about holding a high defensive line, the full backs attack pretty hard

I actually thought the fullbacks were more reserved and careful with their run choices compared to last season, a lot less bombing forward for the sake of it.

I just started laughing - he looked like a fish on a bicycle, just so uncomfortable. Even got caught in possession a couple of times thinking about where to pass the ball. Slow in the body, slow in the mind, and I just can't see where he will fit into this system at all. Hope Fulham come after him and take him off our hands.

Ha, don't read into my post too much. They were actually very good passes. I can't be bothered to find videos but one was into the right corner and the other was a sort of volley pass out left to Gerrard (who was out left quite a bit in the second half).

Doesn't mean that I think he's particularly good or well suited to the system. I was pretty surprised that he came on and would have expected Henderson if I'm honest, since he should suit the system better and therefore be ahead in the pecking order. Gerrard, Lucas, Allen / Henderson, Shelvey / Spearing ? / Adam - out, is kinda the way I would see it, with the question mark over Jay's future and whether we need him for cover if we're going to play three in midfield.

We were probably play classic 2-8-0. Full-backs reaosnably reserved but sitting higher than in a standard back 4. Holding midfielder, 2 playmakers, 3 interchangable forwards include Suarez as trequarista.

Never watched the game, so could be talking rubbish though :D

I wouldn't be suprised to see Gerrard play the Suarez role in this formation during this season either.

Archived