FM12: What Team Should I Be?

SRL88

I'm looking to do all the Hero achievements on steam (take a team from bottom league to top league) but my knowledge of lower league teams is poor so I was wondering if anyone could suggest a some teams from the bottom leagues of England, Scotland, France, Italy, Spain and Brazil that would be suitable for the challenge. Preferably teams with decent financial potential (no debts, good fanbase and stadium for that level), good youth system and facilities would also be a big help.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm struggling to find a enjoyable new game and would appreciate any suggestions.

Nation-any

Budget-reasonable,would prefer teams without significant debt levels

Euro competition- not fussed but the ability to reach euro comps in near future.

Other- I like playing with 2 wingers in a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-4, so any suggestions of teams with wingers in there squads. Pref not Manchester United or Spurs.

Nation: Any Within Europe

European Competition: Not Too Bothered

Media Prediction: Mid/Bottom Side

Board Expectation(s): Not too strict

Transfer Budget: enough to sign a player or two

Wage Budget: not too bothered

Finances: Decent/Half Decent

Looking for a team in ANY european league that has potential to become a bigger european team/ if in the bigger eu nations a team that has potential to challenge for the title and european honors within a few seasons if managed correctly.

Looking for a team in ANY european league that has potential to become a bigger european team/ if in the bigger eu nations a team that has potential to challenge for the title and european honors within a few seasons if managed correctly.

Fulham, At.Bilbao, Udinese, Napoli, Lille, Marseille, Montepellier, Sochaux, Hoffenheim, HSV, Gladbach, Wolfsburg, Sporting Lisbon, Besiktas...

Eng: Spurs? Liverpool?

Italy: Napoli? Juventus?

Spain: Malaga? Valencia?

Holland: PSV? Feyenoord?

I guess any of those teams could be title contenders in a rather short amount of time.

I'm struggling to find a enjoyable new game and would appreciate any suggestions.

Nation-any

Budget-reasonable,would prefer teams without significant debt levels

Euro competition- not fussed but the ability to reach euro comps in near future.

Other- I like playing with 2 wingers in a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-4, so any suggestions of teams with wingers in there squads. Pref not Manchester United or Spurs.

Lille? Very little debt, a new 50,000 seater stadium in the summer of 2012. They're not flushed with cash, but they're not skint either.

As for wingers, pre patch you've got Hazard, Cole, Payet and Obraniak (Maybe even Debuchy as a right midfielder in a 442).

I'm looking for a team to manage in Europe, or maybe South-America with excellent youth facilities. I prefer Italy or maybe Argentina. Don't want to go to France, had a long game there in FM11. Currently at work, so I can't dive in the editor myself to see what the teams are with excellent youth facilities. Budget doesn't matter.

I'm looking for a team to manage in Europe, or maybe South-America with excellent youth facilities. I prefer Italy or maybe Argentina. Don't want to go to France, had a long game there in FM11. Currently at work, so I can't dive in the editor myself to see what the teams are with excellent youth facilities. Budget doesn't matter.

Roma has State of the Art youth facilities (iirc), Excellent junior coaching and an Extensive recruitment network, all of which help in getting good youth players. Take a look at the Roma thread to see the level of youth players I got coming through (one became a Wonderkid at 19).

Nation: Any apart from England, Spain and Germany

Division: 2nd/3rd

European Competition: Not bothered

Media Prediction: Not Bothered

Board Expectation(s): Not Bothered

Transfer Budget:Not bothered

Wage Budget:Not Bothered

Finances: Preferably making a profit but not bothered about starting budget

Other: Needs to keep me entertained for a long time. Thanks

Nation: Anywhere in Europe, preferably NOT England, Spain and Italy. No Norway either.

Division: 1st/2nd (no LLM)

European Competition: Rather not

Media Prediction: Doesn't matter

Board Expectation(s): Better if unreasonably high

Transfer Budget: Low

Wage Budget: Low

Finances: Better if insecure

Other: it must be a different challenge from the usual "take Average FC to European glory in N years", or, better, it must take something more than just "competent management" to achieve that goal.

Clubs with restrictive transfer policies (ie. Athletic), with transfer embargos or with balance in the red, clubs with tiny stadium or with small fanbase, clubs in need of radical rebuilding...

hmmm, well, how about HSV? they don't have a particularly great squad but are expected to be in and around the European qualification spots. they've got next to no funds for transfers or wages and they don't have Europe in season 1. they are one of the biggest clubs in Germany, though, and have a huge fanbase with a great stadium.

and how about Monaco? recently relegated down to Ligue 2 having been a massive club not too long ago. in need of huge rebuilding, I would suggest. again, they have a great stadium and a good fanbase but would certainly be interesting. I'm unsure of their finances, unfortunately.

and finally, although you said preferrably not Italy, I'm going to suggest Fiorentina. they're expected to be challenging for Champions League spots but have no money to spend on wages or transfers and an aging squad with only a few promising players such as Babacar and Jovetic. they also don't have European football after finishing 9th last season. they've not got a glorious history although they've not got a bad one either. relatively big fanbase but not compared to the other Italian teams and a reasonably big stadium capacity of 47k.

well after last night i accidently went to save over a game i had, i panicked and switch my laptop off, in the end this not only messed up that game save (my original from day of release :() but also caused so many xml codes that eventually my laptop just blue screened every time i opened up FM. now that it is reinstalled and working again i have no game saves anymore so im open for a new save :)

the only preference is i prefer not to be a manager of a team with alot of money to spend, im open to most suggestions though :)

Hi Guys, like most of the posters here, I am having trouble getting into a game, I am looking to play a long term fun save, hoping to start out at a smaller club and making a name for myself but I do not want a true LLM gam per se, I dont mind a journey man career.

Nation: Pretty much any in any country but my eventual goal will be to win the champions league.

Division: Would like to avoid bottom league clubs unless they are of a decent rep

European Competition: Eventually yes but not needed at the start.

Media Prediction: Doesn't matter.

Board Expectation(s): Prefer somewhat low or modest expectations, I would like to try and over achieve.

Transfer Budget: Doesnt need to be loads but some decent dosh will be good, wage is more important IMHO

Wage Budget: This is one thing I would like is room in the wage department.

Finances: No debt please!!

I have pretty decent computer and I can easily run a fair few leagues.

Hi Guys, like most of the posters here, I am having trouble getting into a game, I am looking to play a long term fun save, hoping to start out at a smaller club and making a name for myself but I do not want a true LLM gam per se, I dont mind a journey man career.

Nation: Pretty much any in any country but my eventual goal will be to win the champions league.

Division: Would like to avoid bottom league clubs unless they are of a decent rep

European Competition: Eventually yes but not needed at the start.

Media Prediction: Doesn't matter.

Board Expectation(s): Prefer somewhat low or modest expectations, I would like to try and over achieve.

Transfer Budget: Doesnt need to be loads but some decent dosh will be good, wage is more important IMHO

Wage Budget: This is one thing I would like is room in the wage department.

Finances: No debt please!!

I have pretty decent computer and I can easily run a fair few leagues.

Montpellier herault in france.. They got some GREAT players.. Ait Fana , Belhanda, Yanga Mbiwa, Bocaly, Jourdren, El Kaoutari etc.. Real challenge is to win the big clubs: OM, Lyon, Psg.. In real life they are having pretty good season: 1st at the moment ;)

Montpellier herault in france.. They got some GREAT players.. Ait Fana , Belhanda, Yanga Mbiwa, Bocaly, Jourdren, El Kaoutari etc.. Real challenge is to win the big clubs: OM, Lyon, Psg.. In real life they are having pretty good season: 1st at the moment ;)

Ahhh....good ol France!...nice suggestion mate, will keep it in mind! thanks!!

Nation: Europe, outside of the 'Big 5'

Division: Ideally not the top Division of that nation.

European Competition: No

Media Prediction: I don't mind

Board Expectation(s): I don't mind

Transfer Budget: low

Wage Budget: low

Finances: Preferably not disastrous, but I don't mind too much.

Other: I'm looking for a club in one of the smaller European Leagues that I can start a longer term save with once the next patch arrives. I'm really looking for a league that isn't dominated by one team as hopefully, once my team is challenging for the title and European spots it won't become stale. Other than that, I'm pretty open to ideas!

Nation: Europe, outside of the 'Big 5'

Division: Ideally not the top Division of that nation.

European Competition: No

Media Prediction: I don't mind

Board Expectation(s): I don't mind

Transfer Budget: low

Wage Budget: low

Finances: Preferably not disastrous, but I don't mind too much.

Other: I'm looking for a club in one of the smaller European Leagues that I can start a longer term save with once the next patch arrives. I'm really looking for a league that isn't dominated by one team as hopefully, once my team is challenging for the title and European spots it won't become stale. Other than that, I'm pretty open to ideas!

AaB Aalborg from Denmark

I am really struggling with a new game. I rarely do England, also not really done LLM ... so I would like a fun LLM save in England but the club must be in a big city, preferably without a big team already in it... i.e. Milton Keynes but lower league.... if anyone can think of one?

I am thinking Weston Super Mare ... any better ideas?

I am really struggling with a new game. I rarely do England, also not really done LLM ... so I would like a fun LLM save in England but the club must be in a big city, preferably without a big team already in it... i.e. Milton Keynes but lower league.... if anyone can think of one?

I am thinking Weston Super Mare ... any better ideas?

How about Lewes? Ok they are not in a big city but they are on the outskirts of Brighton and have only Brighton as any sort of competitor in a rather large radius

i'm looking for a lower league english club that has a pretty decent squad and pretty decent chance of promtion (league 2 or conference prem). decent chairman that willing to back the team too??

Gateshead, Mansfield or York might be good. Not among the very cream of the BSP on FM (Fleetwood, Grimsby, Luton) but solid promotion-chasing sides with good players for that level.

Nation:England

Division:Championship

European Competition: -

Media Prediction: Top Half to Promotion

Board Expectation(s): Same as Above

Transfer Budget: < 3 million

Wage Budget: Decent

Finances: Secure/ Stable

Other: Good youth setup with some decent youth prospects to throw in the First XI immediately

I was thinking of Leicester City or Southampton as I want a fun and long term save ok lads Cheers in advance :thup:

Nation:England

Division:Championship

European Competition: -

Media Prediction: Top Half to Promotion

Transfer Budget: < 3 million

Other: Good youth setup with some decent youth prospects to throw in the First XI immediately

I was thinking of Leicester City or Southampton as I want a fun and long term save ok lads Cheers in advance :thup:

Ipswich have been the most enjoyable championship team for me. £4m to spend. Low expectations, jay Emmanuel Thomas, chopra, joe whight is a great prospect. Decent sized stadium with big crowds. Bit of a sleeping giant with a fiery local derby with Norwich if you can get promoted and they stay up.

No, No, No, No. You should be Forest even though they don't meet many of those requirements. Blackpool could be a good shout. Have lots of money.

:D I was thinking of starting a Nottingham Forest save but not sure should I use the original data or the updated one with the new transfers ..... :confused:

:D I was thinking of starting a Nottingham Forest save but not sure should I use the original data or the updated one with the new transfers ..... :confused:

Wait until the new update, Rob the Forest Researcher has said it should be an interesting save. We should have the loan signings as well. I'm holding out for the new update, and whilst it's annoying at the minute, it should hopefully be worth it.

Me again :o Anyway, I've lost all my saved games after my laptop's motherboard took an unexpected turn for the worst. As of now, I've got a new laptop and the 'computer man' managed to salvage my graphic folder, which contained over 200,000 separate items, so I don't have too much downloading to do.

So, with all of my saved games gone, I'm currently looking for a new save and I'm having difficulty in choosing a club that will fulfill my needs. I just want a good, fun save which will last me until the new patch, where I will begin a whole host of saves that I've already pre-determined.

I have no substantial needs in terms of Leagues, Countries etc. but I would like a recognised, established league which is competitive. Ultimately, I would like to avoid the Barclays Premier League but that's not essential. The proposed club's fiances must be in decent enough shape too, allowing me to improve the squad on a consistent basis. As of now, I've been thinking of teams like Montpellier, Hannover 96, Genoa or Real Sociedad, but I'm unsure on what other challenges there are. Suggestions please :D

Please don't suggest Arsenal, Málaga, Gladbach or Dortmund as I have these lined up as my future saves once the new patch is upon us.

Me again :o Anyway, I've lost all my saved games after my laptop's motherboard took an unexpected turn for the worst. As of now, I've got a new laptop and the 'computer man' managed to salvage my graphic folder, which contained over 200,000 separate items, so I don't have too much downloading to do.

So, with all of my saved games gone, I'm currently looking for a new save and I'm having difficulty in choosing a club that will fulfill my needs. I just want a good, fun save which will last me until the new patch, where I will begin a whole host of saves that I've already pre-determined.

I have no substantial needs in terms of Leagues, Countries etc. but I would like a recognised, established league which is competitive. Ultimately, I would like to avoid the Barclays Premier League but that's not essential. The proposed club's fiances must be in decent enough shape too, allowing me to improve the squad on a consistent basis. As of now, I've been thinking of teams like Montpellier, Hannover 96, Genoa or Real Sociedad, but I'm unsure on what other challenges there are. Suggestions please :D

Please don't suggest Arsenal, Málaga, Gladbach or Dortmund as I have these lined up as my future saves once the new patch is upon us.

Montpellier might be a better option once the patch is out as many of their best players are pretty young and will take a few seasons to fully develop. Doing very well in real life too so could see a boost to some players. Never been them. Looks a fun save though, particularly with Olivier Giroud who is a goal machine.

I've never been Genoa but they've got some very good players and healthy bank balance, could be a fun short-termish save.

I've been both Hannover and Sociedad and have to say i preferred Hannover. Lots of people have enjoyed Sociedad as you can probably tell as they get suggested a lot in this thread but Hannover appealed to me because their team lends itself towards a very fast-paced, direct, counter-attacking style of play that I rarely get to play with and I enjoyed having the change. Plus they have a great keeper and two fantastic strikers which is a nice foundation for your team.

Nation:Any Where but england

Division: Top Division

European Competition:

Media Prediction: Mid Table

Transfer Budget: fairly decent budget to bring in a few players

Other:a team that has some good players already in the squad and can produce some good prospects

I'm looking to start a save after the new patch, so inclusive of any new transfers the clubs have:

Nation: Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, USA, South Korea or Japan with Widehawk's update. NO EUROPEAN CLUBS

Division: Any, but not the huge clubs (ie the likes of Boca, Santos, Jeonbuk or Kashima Antlers). Don't mind lower league, but will need club with a chance of growth

Continental Competition: Preferably not

Media Prediction: Mid-table/relegation candidates if top division, mid-table or outsiders for promotion if lower league

Board Expectation(s): Same as above

Transfer Budget: Fairly good, but not dominant for the division. Don't want to start with nothing in a league I know nothing about

Wage Budget: Reasonable

Finances: Stable/Secure

Other: Team with good youth facilities is very preferable as this is what I like to focus on. Also like a club with a few derbies/rivalries to enjoy

Thanks.

Any help much appreciated

Nation: A main European league but not Germany

Division: Top division

European Competition: Prefer to be in at least Europa League

Media Prediction: Top Half-Europa League qual

Board Expectation(s): top half

Transfer Budget: A few million at least, £5M minimum really

Wage Budget: Some space but don't mind

Finances: At least Okay

Other: Looking for a team with a rich domestic and european heritage maybe 20+ years ago but fallen from the limelight. I want to bring the glory days back.

Many Thanks

Any help much appreciated

Nation: A main European league but not Germany

Division: Top division

European Competition: Prefer to be in at least Europa League

Media Prediction: Top Half-Europa League qual

Board Expectation(s): top half

Transfer Budget: A few million at least, £5M minimum really

Wage Budget: Some space but don't mind

Finances: At least Okay

Other: Looking for a team with a rich domestic and european heritage maybe 20+ years ago but fallen from the limelight. I want to bring the glory days back.

Many Thanks

Ajax

Juventus

Liverpool

Valencia

Nation: Europe, not England

Euro Cont: Europa League atleast

Media Prediction: Top Half

Transfer Budget: Above £5M

Finances: Secure/Rich

Other: An interesting challenging save with a team that has and produces quality youngsters

Nation: Europe, not England

Euro Cont: Europa League atleast

Media Prediction: Top Half

Transfer Budget: Above £5M

Finances: Secure/Rich

Other: An interesting challenging save with a team that has and produces quality youngsters

Ajax perhaps?

Nation: Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal. Last option England

Division:Highest

European Competition:

Media Prediction:

Board Expectation(s):

Transfer Budget:

Wage Budget:

Finances: Stable/Rich

Other: Dont wont a top team like Man Utd, Man City, Spurs, Napoli. I need a team with players that have good passing and technique skills.

Nation: Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal. Last option England

Division:Highest

European Competition:

Media Prediction:

Board Expectation(s):

Transfer Budget:

Wage Budget:

Finances: Stable/Rich

Other: Dont wont a top team like Man Utd, Man City, Spurs, Napoli. I need a team with players that have good passing and technique skills.

Wolfsburg have a healthy bank balance and a few technical players, plus Diego to come back from loan after season 1. Sociedad also fit the bill.

looking for a team that has the potential to have players from the youth academy getting into the first team and making some money, preferably not a top division club. not fussed about country

Sheffield United once you get back into the Championship. They start with a strong squad in League one and is probably stronger that 995 of the Championship sides. Good youth facilities and a few decent youths in the ranks like Long, McFadzean, Kennedy, Irons, Whitehouse.

Just as a word of warning, I wouldn't look to make a new save at the moment unless you want to carry on with the current patch. I say this because, today, the newest 'January Update' patch is coming out, or 12.2.0 patch. You can find all information on installing the patch in here.

In short, your 'Steam' account should install the new patch automatically. One thing: the patch isn't save-game compatible, so you will have to make a new save. Enjoy! :D

Anyone who is looking for a new save for the latest patch, I'm recommending Borussia Mönchengladbach & Málaga :cool:

Tempted to do an Arsenal save, not managed them on this FM as I wanted to wait unti this patch, but then I have the Borussia Dortmund thread so I want to manage them also, and then my Spanish team Malaga CF, any ideas on which one to do first?

Archived