FM12: What Team Should I Be?

SRL88

FM12 - What Team Should I Be?

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Ladies & Gentleman, Boys & Girls, Children of all ages, the Good Player Team Guide, proudly brings to you, the What Team Should I Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Thread :D.

Last year the template was based more on who people would recommend other users to be, but from what I saw, especially as we got into 2011, users came in with posts asking who they should be. So what I have decided to do is give TWO layouts for users. One will be for users who would like to recommend a team for us to embark our save as, and the second will be for users who arent quite sure who to be, but have an idea of what level to be at etc for others to offer their suggestions afterwards.

Template One - For users who would like to recommend a team

Using a similar layout to last year:

Club:

Division:

Transfer Budget:

Wage Budget:

Finances:

Board Expectation(s):

Key Players:

Pros:

Cons:

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult):

Additional Information:

Template Two - For users who arent quite sure what team to be and would like some advice.

Nation:

Division:

European Competition:

Media Prediction:

Board Expectation(s):

Transfer Budget:

Wage Budget:

Finances:

Other:

Simply copy and paste the template above into your post box and enter the information required and the fine people on the GPTG Thread will do the rest!!! Happy gaming fella's :thup:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Club: LOSC Lille Metropole

Division: French Ligue 1

Transfer Budget: £7.25m (Title challenge)

Wage Budget: £450k p/w (Title challenge)

Finances: Secure

Board Expectation(s): Minimum of top half finish, french cup quarter final, champions league group stages.

Key Players: Eden Hazard, Moussa Sow, Benoit Pedretti, Rio Mavuba, Mickael Landreau

Pros: A lot of good players, champions league football, reigning champions.

Cons: A lot of old players, smallish squad, not as good a squad as last season, competitive league, tough to retain title now that PSG are so strong.

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): 5. It may not be that hard to win the league but to become a european powerhouse will take a lot of work.

Additional Information: Wonderful team guide here

Club: CSKA (Sofia)

Division: Bulgarian A PFG

Transfer Budget: N/A (Will add this when the whole game is released because it's not available to play in Bulgaria on the demo)

Wage Budget: N/A (-ll- -ll-)

Finances: N/A (-ll- -ll-)

Board Expectation(s): N/A (-ll- -ll-)

Key Players: Ianis Zicu, Spas Delev, Todor Yanchev

Pros: For the Bulgarian standards CSKA is the best club out there to play. A very young squad and very verastile too. Your key players, excluding Todor Yanchev, still have at least 10 years to play and they are very good prospects. Great young players with very good potential and very low competition in the domestic league for the gold medals. With only two or maybe three serious rivals the 1st place in the league should not be a problem. The difficult part comes with the European competitions.

Cons: The cons come generally because of the country not that much because of the club. Bulgaria is a small country and therefore not many big stars want to come and play. The salaries are small and the transfer budgets are below a million. That's the main reason why clubs in Bulgaria depend mainly on freebies. That is what you're going to do if you start a game with CSKA (Sofia)

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): 9 for domestic championship and 2 for European competitions

Additional Information: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/277113-FM12-CSKA-%28Sofia%29-The-Bulgarian-giant-hungry-for-European-glory. Follow that thread to find useful information as soon as the full game is released.

Nation: Any (ideally a top nation but not England)

Division: Top

European Competition: Doesn't matter

Media Prediction: Top half finish at least

Board Expectation(s): Top half at least

Transfer Budget: Any, but with chairman/club status high enough so funds can increase significantly with success

Wage Budget: Same as transfer

Finances: At least secure

Other:

Essentially what I'm after is a non-UK version of FM11's Aston Villa. I did think Fiorentina or PSG?

Club: Rangers

Division: Spl

Transfer Budget: 1.5M

Wage Budget: 250K

Board Expectation(s): Win The League And League Cup, Champions League Group Stage

Key Players: McGregor, Whittiker, Davis, Jelavic, Naismith, Wylde

Pros: Good Challenge As It Is In The Spl Domestically You Should Be Able To Do Well Although Tactical Tweeks Will Be Needed For Euro Succsess

Cons: Week In Some Areas Like Right Wing Left Wing And Up Front Although You Have The Resourses To Fix :)

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): Domestic 2/10 Europe 7,8/10

Additional Information: Try And Get 10 League Titles In A Row The Current Record Is 9 With Celtic And Rangers :) Rangers Are Also The Most Succsesfull Club In The World Domestically :) 54 League Titles 27 League Cup Titles 33 Scottish Cup Titles

The Won There 100th Major Trophy In 2000, The First Team Ever To Get 50 League Titles & Currently Boast 115 Major Titles :D

Transfer Budget: Any, but with chairman/club status high enough so funds can increase significantly with success

Other:

Essentially what I'm after is a non-UK version of FM11's Aston Villa. I did think Fiorentina or PSG?

Think alot of people may go for PSG this year because of there money.

Other:

PSG, Malaga & Hoffenheim are the saves for this year me thinks :)

Nation: No preference (any of the top 8 European leagues)

Division: N-Power Championship or Foreign Equivalent

European Competition: No

Media Prediction: around mid-table

Board Expectation(s): around mid table

Transfer Budget: fairly large considering league, enough to develop weak areas

Wage Budget: fairly large to allow for investments

Finances: pretty good to allow for youth investments and transfers

Other: generally youthful squad with decent strength in depth, good youth academy (considering league)

thanks in advance

England: Brighton, Southampton, Blackpool, Coventry (are very good for a patient chairman), Burnley.

Spain: Hercules, Elche, Barcelona 'B' & even though they might not have much money, Deportivo could be a good save actually.

Italy: Ascoli (start on -7pts but predicted 7th)

France: Le Harve, Bastia.

Nation: No preference (any of the top 8 European leagues)

Division: N-Power Championship or Foreign Equivalent

Media Prediction: around mid-table

Board Expectation(s): around mid table

Transfer Budget: fairly large considering league, enough to develop weak areas

Wage Budget: fairly large to allow for investments

Finances: pretty good to allow for youth investments and transfers

Other: generally youthful squad with decent strength in depth, good youth academy (considering league)

thanks in advance

I'm going to be biased (of course ;) ) and suggest Granada CF, Liga BBVA in Spain.

Media and board expectations will possibly see them battling to avoid relegation, but they have a squad that's capable of a mid-table finish at least.

The bonus for improvement is the increase to all facilities for FM12, to reflect the new training complex the club moves into in December. This will rival the facilities of many of the top clubs in Europe.

Finances are strong, with a transfer budget of over €25 million to spend if you need to, with the wage budget about average for a mid-table La Liga side. This is in stark comparison to many Spanish clubs, who are crippled with debt.

With a bit of good management and maybe another player or two, you could have a team capable of finishing in a European qualification spot, within the first season if you play your cards right. The chairman is also ambitious, so if you've not spent all the money on players, you may be able to improve the already excellent facilities, to be amongst the best in the world.

Have fun and good luck!

I'm going to be biased (of course ;) ) and suggest Granada CF, Liga BBVA in Spain.

Media and board expectations will possibly see them battling to avoid relegation, but they have a squad that's capable of a mid-table finish at least.

The bonus for improvement is the increase to all facilities for FM12, to reflect the new training complex the club moves into in December. This will rival the facilities of many of the top clubs in Europe.

Finances are strong, with a transfer budget of over €25 million to spend if you need to, with the wage budget about average for a mid-table La Liga side. This is in stark comparison to many Spanish clubs, who are crippled with debt.

With a bit of good management and maybe another player or two, you could have a team capable of finishing in a European qualification spot, within the first season if you play your cards right. The chairman is also ambitious, so if you've not spent all the money on players, you may be able to improve the already excellent facilities, to be amongst the best in the world.

Have fun and good luck!

You certainly have me desperate to develop the newly promoted side, sounds very fun, I will give it a go right now on the demo, thanks !

EDIT: where do you get the 25M transfer budget ? I am only being given 2M ?

England: Brighton, Southampton, Blackpool, Coventry (are very good for a patient chairman), Burnley.

Spain: Hercules, Elche, Barcelona 'B' & even though they might not have much money, Deportivo could be a good save actually.

Italy: Ascoli (start on -7pts but predicted 7th)

France: Le Harve, Bastia.

thanks shall check them out and try a few on the demo before deciding one to continue on the full version

You certainly have me desperate to develop the newly promoted side, sounds very fun, I will give it a go right now on the demo, thanks !

EDIT: where do you get the 25M transfer budget ? I am only being given 2M ?

Not sure without having the demo. It might not have selected the pre-season budget in the demo version.

€25m should be the transfer budget in the full game. ;)

Thanks for the Ajax/PSV suggestions, another one to try on the demo before a final decision for full game, already played out 2 teams (yes, I do have a life, on school holidays at the moment though)

ajax is obviously the most interesting choice as far as youth is concerned. but the other two are equally interesting as far as the challenge goes... personally id go for ajax though.. a chance to work with those youngsters is too hard to pass over
My thoughts as well. I decided that my wheeler-dealer skills wouldn't be utilized well in the demo's limited playerpool, so I would try PSV in the demo before deciding between them and Ajax when the game comes out.

Dries Mertens is a BEAST!

Club: Málaga CF

Division: Liga BBVA

Transfer Budget: Atleast £17.5 million ranging to £25 million

Wage Budget: Atleast £750k ranging to £950k

Financial Situation: Very good; especially with the introduction of Qatari ruling family member Al-Thani. Branded as the 'Manchester City of Spanish football'.

Board Expectation(s): a Top-Half finish is the least that they expect. Quite an easy achievement given their financial muscle.

Key Players: Martin Demichelis, Santi Cazorla & Júlio Baptista; all very important figures to the progression of this great club.

Pros: Málaga are a team with massive potential; Participate in one of the best leagues in the world [Liga BBVA]; Their financial strength would entice anyone to Málaga.

Cons: No European competition in the first season, although that could be a good thing.

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): 7 - To survive as the manager in the long-term, you will have to overhaul the powers of Barça & Real which, by all means, is an incredibly hard challenge.

Additional Information: Just make a demo save to try them out; they're a fantastic team. If you like teams who have unlimited potential, Málaga is the save for you!

VAMOS MÁLAGA!

:cool:

Club: Leeds United

Division: Npower Championship

Transfer Budget: 300-400k

Wage Budget: 175-200k

Finances: Decent, starts with a 5mil bank balance

Board Expectation(s): Playoff Place, as they just missed out last year, they came 7th.

Key Players: Rob Snodgrass, Jonny Howson, Andy O'Brien and Luciano Becchio

Pros: Great squad to start with, Decent balance

Cons: Play in a tough league, not a great transfer budget

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): about 3 for the first season and gets harder if you get promoted

Additional Information: Bring them Back to the glory days of Don Revie and dominate the league.

Thought of Malaga myself due to some good hols in Spain-I love the place.Are there any work permit problems in Spanish football?I like the idea of signing South American players. It is so frustrating to find a gem from overseas when managing in England and not being able to get a work permit for him.

Thought of Malaga myself due to some good hols in Spain-I love the place.Are there any work permit problems in Spanish football?I like the idea of signing South American players. It is so frustrating to find a gem from overseas when managing in England and not being able to get a work permit for him.

I am pretty sure that the UK is the only country where work permits are an issue.

No problem with getting a WP - the issue is that you are only allowed 3 (or is it 2?) foreign players in your team, so in order to progress through using south americans, you will need to get them aged 16, so by the time they are worthy of first team football they have citizenship and pass for registration without taking up a space in your foreign allowance.

Help on who to start with on the full version greatly appreciated! Game will be a long (journeyman) game!

Nation: Outside UK/France/Germany/Italy or Spain - Preferably Scandinavia

Division: First or Second Tier

Media Prediction: Mid Table/Promotion candidates - should be achievable without transfers

Board Expectation(s): Nothing overly ambitious

Transfer Budget: Between €2 to €8 mil

Wage Budget: Not bothered

Finances: Not bothered

Other: Good (compared to league) youth facilities would be a big bonus. I really would love a club with some character e.g. playing on an island/ have a stadium in a castle type of uniqueness. Something that can really make me fall in love with the club. This football ground is a great example!

Nation: Anywhere in Europe, but not UK, Spain, Italy or Germany

Division: Any tier, preferably 2nd/3rd tier

European Competition: Not important

Media Prediction: Any, but not expected to challenge for title in 1st season

Board Expectation(s): As per media prediction

Transfer Budget: #£250k to £1m

Wage Budget: Not important

Finances: Wth potential to rise (with attendance and European football)

Other: Looking for a team that is a bit 'sleeping giant' outside of the big countries. Ideally would have the potential for an average attendance of as close to 35,000 or more to take a club and it's league rep as high as I can get.

Help on who to start with on the full version greatly appreciated! Game will be a long (journeyman) game!

Nation: Outside UK/France/Germany/Italy or Spain - Preferably Scandinavia

Division: First or Second Tier

Media Prediction: Mid Table/Promotion candidates - should be achievable without transfers

Board Expectation(s): Nothing overly ambitious

Transfer Budget: Between €2 to €8 mil

Wage Budget: Not bothered

Finances: Not bothered

Other: Good (compared to league) youth facilities would be a big bonus. I really would love a club with some character e.g. playing on an island/ have a stadium in a castle type of uniqueness. Something that can really make me fall in love with the club. This football ground is a great example!

Have you seen Braga, in Portugal? Their stadium is quarry walls at both ends behind the goal. Though they might start as too ambitious for what you're looking for?

http://www.stadiumguide.com/braga.htm

Nation: Anywhere in Europe, but not UK, Spain, Italy or Germany

Division: Any tier, preferably 2nd/3rd tier

European Competition: Not important

Media Prediction: Any, but not expected to challenge for title in 1st season

Board Expectation(s): As per media prediction

Transfer Budget: #£250k to £1m

Wage Budget: Not important

Finances: Wth potential to rise (with attendance and European football)

Other: Looking for a team that is a bit 'sleeping giant' outside of the big countries. Ideally would have the potential for an average attendance of as close to 35,000 or more to take a club and it's league rep as high as I can get.

Try Nantes or Monaco in France Ligue 2, River Plate or Rosario Central in Argentina Primera B Nacional, Sparta Rotterdam in Netherlands Eerste Divisie...

Club: Hearts FC

Division: SPL

Transfer Budget: 250K

Wage Budget:140K

Board Expectation(s): Controversial owner Romanov will expect European qualification 1st season but will get rid of you if you dont challenge the old firm ASAP.

Key Players: Goalkeeper Kello and wingers Templeton and Driver

Pros: Good squad with plenty of potential and the massive challenge of toppling the ugly brothers from Glasgow...Celtic and Rangers.

Cons: Hard to keep your players away from the big English clubs and hard Board to please.

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): 7/8

Additional Information: Don't ever let the other (smaller) team in Edinburgh Hibernain beat you!!!!!!!!

Have you seen Braga, in Portugal? Their stadium is quarry walls at both ends behind the goal. Though they might start as too ambitious for what you're looking for?

http://www.stadiumguide.com/braga.htm

That is one amazing stadium! But yeah Braga is a bit too big of a team for me. I was personally thinking of Tromso in Norway because of their title as "The northernmost premier league team" and their reputation on their homeground/ Lechia Gdansk because of their amazing new stadium but lack of success/ IFK Mariehamn because they play on an island in front of the coast of Sweden (yet are Finnish). Those were three teams I've looked into a little and would be in the right direction, but somehow don't "feel" right.

France. Had not thought of that. A league with the potential as well.

Or you could even try Real Oviedo in Spanish Second Division B2, they are really a sleeping giants, long years ago they went bankrupt and just can't find the way back to top. They have a big stadium and a massive crowd of supporters, even in Second Division 2 (which is third division) they have attendances of 15-20000...

NATION: any

DIVISION: top league in their country

EUROPEAN COMP: no

MEDIA PREDICTION: anything that isn't a title challenge

BOARD EXPECTATION: same as above

TRANSFER BUDGET: £0

WAGE BUDGET: around 10-20k spare for a couple of freebies

FINANCES: prefer a club with debts

OTHER: a club with a 20k+ stadium and a reasonable squad to start with for the country that they are in. basically looking for a club that is similar to everton at the start

Or you could even try Real Oviedo in Spanish Second Division B2, they are really a sleeping giants, long years ago they went bankrupt and just can't find the way back to top. They have a big stadium and a massive crowd of supporters, even in Second Division 2 (which is third division) they have attendances of 15-20000...

Nice one thanks, definitely what I'm looking for (albeit in the Spanish league). I am going for Malaga first time round (for different reasons), but Oviedo sounds a good 2nd save idea.

:D I've changed my mind on starting with Malaga thanks to this. Having just read some brief history of Real Oviedo and their mad spectactular fall, football politics in the town and great fan base; Oviedo sounds like a cracking game to take on.

Nice one Chulito, thanks.

Here's a brief rundown on the money woes, politics and fans from recent seasons:

http://www.worldsoccer.com/uncategorized/rebirth-of-oviedo

Club: FC Twente

Division: Eredivisie

Transfer Budget: £3m - £5m

Wage Budget: £180k

Board Expectation(s): Qualify for Europe

Key Players: Luuk de Jong, Nacer Chadli, Douglas,

Pros: Good squad with plenty of potential. Man Utd, your parent club will send you Danny Welbeck and Mame Biram Diouf.

Cons: Hard to keep the key players, hard to tempt good Dutch players.

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): 5

Additional Information: N/A

Club: Athletic Club Bilbao

Division: Spanish La Liga

Transfer Budget: $4.2mil-$6mil (USD)

Wage Budget: $600k-$625k p/w (USD. Currently spending $467,451)

Board Expectation(s): Mid-table finish

Key Players: Fernando Llorente, Javi Martinez, Iker Muniain

Pros: Good prospects and facilities make for excellent youth development, solid starting squad, club turns a profit most months and should move into a new stadium in about 2014

Cons: Only allowed to sign Basque players (though this could also be seen as a pro), it may take a while to supplant Madrid and Barca, most of the better Basque players are unavailable at the start or refuse to negotiate

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): 6 or 7

Additional Information: Athletic is my favorite club so I've got to plug for 'em! Their transfer policy makes them one of the most unique challenges in the game and forces you to focus on youth development. However, the excellent facilities Athletic has in place means that you can train up youngsters fairly easily. This team makes for an excellent long-term save!

:D I've changed my mind on starting with Malaga thanks to this. Having just read some brief history of Real Oviedo and their mad spectactular fall, football politics in the town and great fan base; Oviedo sounds like a cracking game to take on.

Nice one Chulito, thanks.

Here's a brief rundown on the money woes, politics and fans from recent seasons:

http://www.worldsoccer.com/uncategorized/rebirth-of-oviedo

That story is a very inspiring one! It makes me think.. Should I?

Club: Plymouth Argyle

Division: League 2

Transfer Budget: £0

Wage Budget: £25k per week

Finances: Terrible. Truely awful!

Board Expectation(s): Midtable Finish

Key Players: Simon Walton, Carl Fletcher & Curtis Nelson should all be kept and should all be put on new longer contracts with a lower weekly wage.

Pros: It's a challenge, some very good Under 18 players

Cons: No money to spend, starting over budget, dismal club morale, only 16 players over 18, lots of players in the last year of their contracts, chairman looking to sell, debt repayments each month, dwindling support, huge ground to maintain.

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult):9 - I don't think there are many challenges bigger than this in FM12, just to hit a mid-table finish will be tough. A takeover is needed as soon as possible when you start but there's no guarantee's who it will be or how quickly it will arrive.

Additional Information: A quick tip, the 3 biggest earners (Walton, Larrieau and Fletcher) will re-negotiate their contracts onto half what they currently earn. Then, it's time to hit the free transfers!

Looking for a lower league team (any country) or a relegation threatened top division team (not in England, France, Italy or Spai)

Nation: Any

Division: Lower league in any country or top division team predicted for relegation (except England, France, Italy, Spain)

Media Prediction: Anything

Board Expectation(s): Anything

Transfer Budget: Anything

Wage Budget: Anything

Finances: Okay - Secure

Other: If possible either a large stadium for the division they are in or good youth facilities

Looking for a lower league team (any country) or a relegation threatened top division team (not in England, France, Italy or Spai)

Nation: Any

Division: Lower league in any country or top division team predicted for relegation (except England, France, Italy, Spain)

Media Prediction: Anything

Board Expectation(s): Anything

Transfer Budget: Anything

Wage Budget: Anything

Finances: Okay - Secure

Other: If possible either a large stadium for the division they are in or good youth facilities

I am definitely biased toward Basques, but I'd suggest Real Union or Alaves in Spain's Segunda B. Both are clubs with long histories, and Alaves definitely has a large stadium for that level (nearly 20,000 seats).

Looking for a team for the full game

Nation: European (not EPL)

Media Prediction: Top-half at least

Board Expectation(s): European football

Transfer Budget: Don't really mind, anything >£10m is fine

Wage Budget: >£1.1m

Finances: Healthy enough to reward future success with increasing transfer budgets

Other: My desired formation is a 4-2-3-1 so I'm after a team which already has players capable of that system. Not looking for a top-top team like Real Madrid/Inter etc.

Archived