FM12: What Team Should I Be?

SRL88

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PSG & Malaga seem to be the teams to be this season on FM. PSG are a sleeping giant in retrospect and have an arab owner so the finances are there to go crazy with. Malaga on the other hand arent a giant. Just a mid-table club really, but again have a wealthy owner with cash to burn depending on how you acheive. Their thread is very, very active as well so you will get loads of help.

I would also like to plug Hoffenheim. Ive done the thread the last 2 seasons and the save is really enjoyable. Im sure you know what the German league is like based off Dortmund, but I find it very fun so I find them really good to start a save with. Loads of money coming in due to Hopp, and a good young side.

I keep starting new saves with Man United and keep losing interest around half a season in. I think the problem is that I have not had a save with any other team for the past 3 years and am just burnt out playing with Man United every iteration of FM. Could someone please suggest a different team for me to have a go with? All I want is for the save to capture my interest. Also, it would be nice if it was a team that was suited to a one-striker formation :D

I've always liked Valencia, will give the club thread a read and then decide. Cheers!

I can only suggest the mighty force of Málaga CF :D Definitely a team with potential, the challenge of knocking Barça off their perch can only entice any FM'er and, as you asked for, their perfect for a one-striker formation :D

So far i'm on my 4th start in FM2012. First of all i went with Man Utd (my team) but with very little need to add to the squad i lost interest as i wanted to really use the transfer features of the game and didn't have much need to. Next i tried Sampdoria for the "sleeping giant" appeal, but i find the loan/co-ownership stuff in Italy an unwelcome distraction and again lost interest. Next was Malaga after reading this thread and again i lost interest, just didn't feel any affinity to the club and the squad.

So, finally i've settled on Newcastle, who i've stuck with longer than any other save so far and am really enjoying. They just about fit a "sleeping giant" with great potential and an already a decent, competitive team, but with real need for improvement and a budget to do it with, albeit over time. I recommend it.

Struggling to decide which Spanish team to begin with, not really interested in a Malaga save and dont want to be the big 2. Considering Atletico, Sevilla or Valencia atm but would consider others like Betis etc.

Thanks

If you're not interested in a Málaga save, I would recommend Valencia, Athletic Bilbao or Espanyol.

All play very good football an have their own challenges; Valencia have their financial difficulties, as do Espanyol, and Athletic Bilbao have the difficulty of signing only Basque born players. Also, imagine the feeling of taking over the city of Barcelona from Pep Guardiola's men.

Yeh I just prefer to build a team think it would be a bit harder to do that with a few members of the squad going back at the end of the season. Although it could be interesting rebuilding each year. Watched them play Barca and Atletico this year and they seem to have really good fans aswell.

Nation: Somewhere in Europe

Division: 1st or 2nd

European Competition: None

Media Prediction: Bottom Half

Board Expectation(s):

Transfer Budget:Nominal

Wage Budget:Nominal

Basically I fancy somewhere like Holland Second Division or Belgian, Croatia, them sort of teams.

EDIT: Somewhere I could build a team, so could even be something like Real Sociedad

Evening lads,

I am enjoying a great Málaga save at the moment - It will be my long-term save for FM12, I am sure. Although, I feel like having a break for a bit, until at least the thread perks up a little more back to former glory, and I've got a dilemma on my hands - What team should I be?

I've singled out 3 potential saves;

Paris Saint-Germain - Enjoyed a short save with them on FM11 and, in all honesty, they are very similar to Málaga in many an aspect.

Arsenal - My beloved team and usually, on previous FM's, I'd have already made a save with them at this point. Would love to return to The Emirates but...

Newcastle United - I'd like to join the Newcastle French revolution although, this would be the least likely of the three.

If any of you want to recommend me a team, I'm all ears.

:thup:

I would advise PSG. Iv just started a PSG save and they tick all the boxes. Quality players like Pastore, Menez, Gamiero, Sakho etc, loads of great youngsters and plenty of money. France have a lot of good young players and I'm really enjoying trying to take them to another level. The only problem is, as you said, it is very similar to the challenge at Malaga.

Nottingham Forest we have one French player at the club already. Why not build on that :thup:. I swear you started a save as Forest with an edited database on FM11. Come back for FM12 with the proper thing.

At the moment, a Championship side isn't on the cards :thup: Yes, I did. I couldn't really get into it - that's the case with most of my 'attempted' Lower League saves; start well but, it goes off the boil. Anyway, I hope your enjoying your save, NF :)

I would advise PSG. Iv just started a PSG save and they tick all the boxes. Quality players like Pastore, Menez, Gamiero, Sakho etc, loads of great youngsters and plenty of money. France have a lot of good young players and I'm really enjoying trying to take them to another level. The only problem is, as you said, it is very similar to the challenge at Malaga.

As I said above, I had a great FM11 save with PSG. It would also give me the opportunity to sign players like Marvin Martin, Ryad Boudebouz etc. Although, I would be able to make signings like that with my beloved Arsenal...

Since my Liverpool save won't load I'm looking a new team to manage. Only requirements I have are that they're in the top league as I fail to get into lower league games. Current options are:

Arsenal - their youth appeals to me as an aim of mine in most saves is to provide the senior team with a conveyor belt of talent.

Newcastle - impressed with their start IRL and there is a good squad base to build on.

PSG - had a save with them on FM09/FM10 when they didn't have the money they do now and really enjoyed it.

Open to suggestions from the other major leagues - Italy, Germany, Spain, etc.

Thanks

Since my Liverpool save won't load I'm looking a new team to manage. Only requirements I have are that they're in the top league as I fail to get into lower league games. Current options are:

Arsenal - their youth appeals to me as an aim of mine in most saves is to provide the senior team with a conveyor belt of talent.

Newcastle - impressed with their start IRL and there is a good squad base to build on.

PSG - had a save with them on FM09/FM10 when they didn't have the money they do now and really enjoyed it.

Open to suggestions from the other major leagues - Italy, Germany, Spain, etc.

Thanks

Well, seeing that you have chosen the same options as me, why don't you follow me? :D I'm making a Arsenal save due to them being my favourite team but, the other options would be great. May not be as much of a challenge with PSG, due to the lack of challenging teams competing against them but, they, as I found out on FM11, are a great save to have. Newcastle would be great too.

As for recommended teams, I would offer Dormtund, Málaga or Juventus - mainly because they are my favourite teams apart from Arsenal :D Join me with Arsenal mate...

Well, seeing that you have chosen the same options as me, why don't you follow me? :D I'm making a Arsenal save due to them being my favourite team but, the other options would be great. May not be as much of a challenge with PSG, due to the lack of challenging teams competing against them but, they, as I found out on FM11, are a great save to have. Newcastle would be great too.

As for recommended teams, I would offer Dormtund, Málaga or Juventus - mainly because they are my favourite teams apart from Arsenal :D Join me with Arsenal mate...

Yea, I seen that they were the same teams as you although they are entirely different reasons for Arsenal and PSG :D I won't consider Malaga until the final patch as I'm a frequent visitor to Malaga and when I went over last year and went to two of their games while I was over and so, I'm going to leave them to the final patch as my long term game. Hmm think I'll fire up a save with Arsenal then!

Club: Real Sociedad

Division: La Liga BBVA

Transfer Budget: €500k

Wage Budget: €300k/week

Finances: Secure

Board Expectation(s): Mid-Table Finish

Key Players: Xabi Prieto, Claudio Bravo, Antoine Griezmann, Carlos Vela (loan) and Vadim Demidov.

Pros: Excellent attacking options and a loyal/professional squad. Decent enough budget for an experienced manager. Like all La Liga clubs there is the advantage of a league with a high reputation and the ability to sign foreign players easier than English or Italian clubs.

Cons: Average central midfielders and lack of depth at GK/LB/CM positions.

Level of Difficulty (1-10 with 10 being difficult): Depends of your ambitions. Mid table should be easy. European qualification is a bit more challenging. Maybe 6 or 7? (I was able to finish 3rd without any summer transfers)

Additional Information: It’s possible to field a starting XI of entirely homegrown players and still get decent results. Unlike their rivals (Atlethic Bilbao) you can buy and field non-basque players but it makes for a more interesting game to try and keep a core of local players. The B team and upgradable facilities help with that. In real life, Real Sociedad have one of the most prolific youth-setups in Spain.

Hiya guys just in my 3rd season as Coventry manager and enjoying it but I think Ive taken them as far as I can and in a lot of debt, so I was wondering if there is another team similar to Coventry maybe better finances, also might think about takeing a club in the lower leagues of the english leagues up to champions league glory, just wondering if you guys have any reccomendations for a decent team in the lower leagues maybe with a bit of money or good facilities.

Hiya guys just in my 3rd season as Coventry manager and enjoying it but I think Ive taken them as far as I can and in a lot of debt, so I was wondering if there is another team similar to Coventry maybe better finances, also might think about takeing a club in the lower leagues of the english leagues up to champions league glory, just wondering if you guys have any reccomendations for a decent team in the lower leagues maybe with a bit of money or good facilities.

Brighton - I know they're only in the Championship but, they're still a good footballing side who have decent finances.

MK Dons - Good infrastructure and a good squad to build upon.

AFC Wimbledon - Take them back to the glory years - The Crazy Gang. You could always take them that step further and conquer England and Europe.

:thup:

Cheers guys, I think I'm going to be Stoke. I don't think I'd be able to emulate Newcastles real life form and I will also enjoy putting Pulis out of a job. I'm sure the players will be delighted that there will no longer be the threat of a naked headbut after a match. Also I haven't been stoke on Fm since CM 01 so would be something different.

Nation: England

Division: Championship

European Competition: /

Media Prediction: top half

Board Expectation(s): play-offs / promotion

Transfer Budget: any

Wage Budget: any

Finances: any

Other: I'm looking for a team in the championship. I want to get to the premier league and build a good team. And if possible let the club build a brandnew stadium.

Nation: England

Division: Championship

European Competition: /

Media Prediction: top half

Board Expectation(s): play-offs / promotion

Finances: any

Other: I'm looking for a team in the championship. I want to get to the premier league and build a good team. And if possible let the club build a brandnew stadium.

Thats tough because there are quite a few who have 'newish' stadiums. If I am sticking to that line of thought, I would go for:

Nottingham Forest

Ipswich Town

Portsmouth

Burnley

Finances will be very tight at Notts Forest & Pompey, but Ipswich get about £4m to spend in the 1st window.

If you want teams with a stadium in place, I would go:

Southampton

Leicester

Cardiff City

Notts :mad: Forest, it is Nottm or Nottingham or Forest :thup:.

May I link you to my FM12: npower Championship Team Guide. Have a read of the opening post as there is enough information to possibly help you decide which team to be.

Realistically with shrewd signings and well worked tactics, about 20 teams have a chance of being promoted. Don't listen to SRL as he doesn't know nothing.

Clubs with tight financial situations: Hull City, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City, Coventry City, Crystal Palace, Millwall and Doncaster Rovers. Out of those Hull have a fairly new stadium as do Coventry and Doncaster. Forest's stadium is good but is over 110 years old.

Clubs with money: Southampton, West Ham, Ipswich, Blackpool and Leicester.

Clubs with newish stadiums: Brighton, Leicester, Southampton, Doncaster, Hull and Cardiff.

Nation: Any (Preferably EU)

Division: Any (Preferably not the top league)

European Competition: Not Bothered

Media Prediction: Any

Board Expectation(s): Any (Not a harsh board that sacks you after 1 loss)

Finances: Some Cash

Other: Preferably a small club with quite a smallish stadium with SOME cash to spend.

Nation: Any (Preferably EU)

Division: Any (Preferably not the top league)

European Competition: Not Bothered

Media Prediction: Any

Board Expectation(s): Any (Not a harsh board that sacks you after 1 loss)

Finances: Some Cash

Other: Preferably a small club with quite a smallish stadium with SOME cash to spend.

England: Blackpool, Wimbledon, Lincoln City

France: Amiens, Angers, Bayonne, Paris FC, Red Star (and Sochaux could be lots of fun in the top division)

Spain: Alcorcon, Real Union, Alcoyano, Girona

Italy: Cittadella, Gubbio

Germany: St. Pauli, Union Berlin, FSV Frankfurt

Switzerland: Vaduz, Bellinzona

Austria: WAC St. Andra

Scotland: Dundee FC

You could take the plunge and go for a smaller nation, maybe try to resurrect a giant? Lots of teams like that in eastern Europe.

Slovakia: FC Petrzalka- used to be a top club in their nation a few years ago but have declined and find themselves in the second tier.

Czech: FC Zbrojovka Brno- won the Czechoslovak league in the 70s

Russia: Torpedo Moscow- were a top team in the 60s, won the Russian Cup in 1993 and have fallen off since

Archived