Stop milking the FM-franchise with new versions every year!!

I think SI should get back to releasing Football Manager with the sequels a few years aparts and with yearly season-packs between them. For example, say Football Manager 2009 was a full game (since it had the new engine) with full price. Then we could have two season-packs FM 09/10, FM 10/11 between with just minor fixes and updated squads. They would cost as expansion packs. Then this year we could have Football Manager 2012 as the full sequel with major changes and new features.

I don´t think it is justified having a full-price new version of the game every year. If Football Manager 2012 included all the changes from FM10, FM11 and this years FM12 it would be a major update, worthy of a sequel and the full price. Also, it would mean less significant more time for SI to come up with changes instead of having to rush out a new version every year!

This always pops up from time to time.

Either there is a FM each year, or there is no FM at all. It's that simple. Not enough income, no game.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every single new release of FM has something new or improved. The amount of time I spend on each FM game means that it is well worth my £29.99 every year. :)

This sums it up for me. We all spend hundreds of hours on the game, my current Darlington save is at about 262 hours. Money well spent if you ask me.

This sums it up for me. We all spend hundreds of hours on the game, my current Darlington save is at about 262 hours. Money well spent if you ask me.

Sure, but I think some of you exaggerate somewhat when you imply that FM is somewhat unique in that. I have played games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Hearts of Iron 2, Civilization 4 and Battlefield Vietnam for hundreds of enjoyable hours too. I think that is what you expect from a great game!

What makes you think SI will go bancrupt if they release versions say every two years with season packs in between? First, I suppose the sequels will sell better than they do now since they are bigger, better and properly tested. Second, many will buy the seasonal updates.

Also, many other companies don´t release new games every year and manage to survive. Would you expect Creative Assembly to release a new Total War game every year? We expect sequels to be a few years apart to take full advantage of proper development time, testing and better technology. Why should football management simulations be any exception?

Probably becuase they are different companies? How you know people would buy the updates? I for one wouldnt pay for updates that were previously free

How will adding a second year help?

Whether they do it over one year or two, the ratio of dev time to test time will still be exactly the same.

Creative Assembly aren't working on a series where a new version is demanded every season. If people have the choice between an updated game or a new game, they'll pick up the new game.

And Civ 4? I've never played a more bugged game on release. Half the people using that game before the patch just had a black screen with characters running around on top of it.

Sure, but I think some of you exaggerate somewhat when you imply that FM is somewhat unique in that. I have played games like Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Hearts of Iron 2, Civilization 4 and Battlefield Vietnam for hundreds of enjoyable hours too. I think that is what you expect from a great game!
I don't know any other game where I've spent 840 hours on or something even close to that number.

Some Scrabble™ games can get a bit tasty.

Monopoly can get pretty tense too, often with the results lasting years. The Chance cards to tend to get a bit repetitive though, they need to change this for next years edition.

God forbid a company that makes great games actually makes some money. Better that they just go out of business, right?

but its not about them making money, their only thought when making Football Manager should be our happines, if they are lucky enough to make money from it then so be it..........;)

Hardly milking, they actually make proper game changes year on year, not like some companies i can name.....*cough*activision*cough*EA*cough*...

Although if they were to scrap FM12 and direct the funds into making FML again, that would make me so damn happy!

God forbid a company that makes great games actually makes some money. Better that they just go out of business, right?

No, but you don´t need to milk a fanbase. Just consider all unncessary sequels in the movie industry. Just because you can make money on something doesn´t mean you always should.

No, but you don´t need to milk a fanbase. Just consider all unncessary sequels in the movie industry. Just because you can make money on something doesn´t mean you always should.

But you can't compare FM 2011 to Saw 7 can you?

Lem, that's poor marketing mate, the company won't survive the hit of half the income for a whole year

They would recoup that selling more copies of the game(and the update) instead of losing customers. Like many people have said they skip years or don't buy anymore. It's actually quite good marketing.

Why? They might not be milking casual FM-players like me, but I think they milk the community. Just like Sims with its expansion packs and Valve with new releases of Left 4 Dead only a year apart.

How can you say the Sims is a milking p*sstake with it's expansions, then propose the same system for FM?

And you know this how?

Because the majority casual football fan gamers play the game or have abandoned it and wait for new release while having a life.Trolls on the other hand sit in the forum all day always bitching about something.Whether is "the game sucks SI are robbing us" or "The game is great and there are no issues even though SI admit there is" they are always here.

How can you say the Sims is a milking p*sstake with it's expansions, then propose the same system for FM?

I didn´t propose the same system. I just think seasonal expansion packs might be better alternatives between the sequels. How is that related to the Sims expansion pack orgy?

And frankly, I don´t think EA is any worse than SI here. It is basically the same commercial idea: release the same game with slight updates and improvements over and over again!

Nobody in their right mind would buy those - as they are currently free for all on the interweb.

Only in an unoffical capacity because fans make them. Who knows what else they've done or how accurate they've made things, or if all they've done is move players without updating their CA/PA and advancing them a year.

But then, nobody in their right mind would purchase FM, when it's available for free all over the interweb....

I think SI should get back to releasing Football Manager with the sequels a few years aparts and with yearly season-packs between them. For example, say Football Manager 2009 was a full game (since it had the new engine) with full price. Then we could have two season-packs FM 09/10, FM 10/11 between with just minor fixes and updated squads. They would cost as expansion packs. Then this year we could have Football Manager 2012 as the full sequel with major changes and new features.

I don´t think it is justified having a full-price new version of the game every year. If Football Manager 2012 included all the changes from FM10, FM11 and this years FM12 it would be a major update, worthy of a sequel and the full price. Also, it would mean less significant more time for SI to come up with changes instead of having to rush out a new version every year!

how about you don't speak for me, thanks

i love a new version every year

surprisingly there is something you can do if you don't like a new version every year........ drumroll............................. don't buy one!

Only in an unoffical capacity because fans make them. Who knows what else they've done or how accurate they've made things, or if all they've done is move players without updating their CA/PA and advancing them a year.

But then, nobody in their right mind would purchase FM, when it's available for free all over the interweb....

Downloading free updates from people using the in game editor is a competely different thing to stealing a game. I think you are also doing a great injustice to the people who make these updates.

And you know this how?

I know this because the majority of people who posted in this thread have said they want a new game every year, and those people are hardcore FM players. Looking through the posts in this thread answers your question.

Downloading free updates from people using the in game editor is a competely different thing to stealing a game. I think you are also doing a great injustice to the people who make these updates.

I'm sure some of them are very good, but an official one would be better. It also shows there's a market for just such an update, and many people take advantage of that freebie instead of buying a new game. Not piracy, but essentially costs sega the same money.

I think most can agree that the original incarnation of FM11 was not really acceptable, and most of the time charging £20-30 every year is not truly justified. However, i keep on buying because i want the company to make enough money in order to make a better product. I want Sega and SI to succeed in bringing us the best game, therefore i back them. Yearly'updates' would be financially perilous and that would mean the game just never evolves. We all want the best sim possible. Back them!

FM is only 30 quid for a whole year and you get 3 patches every time... I spend more than that on a saturday night out....

You get 3 patches so you can get a working game. Not a great advertisement. As for costs, not really the same kind of entertainment is it? I can get a few DVDs for the same price and watch them as much as a like, or a different game. And I probably don't need to wait several months for the 3 patches.

Absoloute idiot! We all love the fact that we get a new game every year, if we didnt, football manager might fall behind rival games (championship manager)!

I think most can agree that the original incarnation of FM11 was not really acceptable, and most of the time charging £20-30 every year is not truly justified. However, i keep on buying because i want the company to make enough money in order to make a better product. I want Sega and SI to succeed in bringing us the best game, therefore i back them. Yearly'updates' would be financially perilous and that would mean the game just never evolves. We all want the best sim possible. Back them!

If the company is getting your money regardless of what they release, how does that encourage them to improve? How many years do you wait to see any improvement? Let's face it yearly updates aren't a lot different from what we already get as they only add a handful of new features each year, but they want full price for the game! And at least updates could build on a successful game, rather than releasing a new half-baked one.

Absoloute idiot! We all love the fact that we get a new game every year, if we didnt, football manager might fall behind rival games (championship manager)!

You are entitled to your opinions as well as I am to mine. I would appreciate if you avoid mean personal attacks, thanks...

Championship manager dont make PC games now, they only make facebook games and a chinese MMO, so no danger of them usurping SI lol.

If the company is getting your money regardless of what they release, how does that encourage them to improve? How many years do you wait to see any improvement? Let's face it yearly updates aren't a lot different from what we already get as they only add a handful of new features each year, but they want full price for the game! And at least updates could build on a successful game, rather than releasing a new half-baked one.

Because i believe that the people who work for SI care enough about the game and our enjoyment of it to make the best game possible. Many of them play the game themselves and therefore have a personal investment in it. How does less income encourage them to improve a game? Do you honestly think the tight bastards round here will pay even a tenner for an update when they can make or dwnld for free from somewhere?

You get 3 patches so you can get a working game. Not a great advertisement. As for costs, not really the same kind of entertainment is it? I can get a few DVDs for the same price and watch them as much as a like, or a different game. And I probably don't need to wait several months for the 3 patches.

Do you realise there is no such thing as bug free software?

I just want to throw out there that I played FM11 from release day, and never found the game to be unplayable. I got the updates, but not because I couldn't play the game without them. I never had any problems before I applied the updates, and applied them just to be on the safe side. I've had a ridiculous amount of hours of fun playing various saves in FM11

(as I did in FM10), and can't wait for FM12 to be released.

I played the last 2 versions of this game without coming onto the forums, i couldnt tell you one single bug from either game, whereas with FM11 i have been on the forums since release and i am aware of heaps of bugs, what does that tell you?

That the game actually has bugs, but you never saw it?

I hope you're actually not arguing that it's OK for games to have bugs as long as a single person isn't aware of them...

Do you realise there is no such thing as bug free software?

Two wrongs don't make a right?

No software is bug-free, but doesn't the botched nature of FM11 worry you? The need for a release patch, then two further major patches and the game still has glaring bugs, and two minor patches to fixed a botched DRM?

I know this because the majority of people who posted in this thread have said they want a new game every year, and those people are hardcore FM players. Looking through the posts in this thread answers your question.

That's not answering my question. You have just made a statement similar to the one that led me to ask in the first place.

So it is only this 'majority of people in this thread' that are hardcore FM players, whatever that means. If you personally know all the people you have conveniently included in this statement, to make your argument appear to have more weight, then fair enough, if you don't, then the same question to you.

Just one ideia... to all the people that think that FM should be release wih a 3 year gap:

BUY THE GAME... EVERY 3 YEARS! :D

Unless SI are pointing a gun to your heads forcing you to buy the game! Ter... Neil.. common... just stop with that!

So, let's say... in 2014... i really hope you'll enjoy FM2014 and all the new features! LOL

You can always decide to buy FM every other year...

thats not the point, the games are never finished when they are released and it takes 6 months and 2 or 3 patches to get it working.

If they were released every other year, the games would be released in full working order.

However the revenue would drop so for me, the best thing to do is take a year out and make sure the following game is perfect for release in the build up to the new season. By the time FM comes out, the buzz of the new season has gone.

Archived