Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

Well looks like Martinez then. Would be quite embarrassing if he turned us down :D

Hopefully we will see some swift movement in the transfer window before the Euros escalates prices. We could do with some good quality at decent prices after last summer. Still hope that with a bit of quality we might see more from Downing next season. Adam I don't think should have any future at the club but the rest of last seasons signings I am interested in seeing again this season.

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If? when, why, how? looks to me like Martinez is first choice to get the job,.. i think the situation at Liverpool will suit him down to a T... Not like any top class manager with pedigry wants the job currently, prob on par with the England job at the moment, How any one can say Martinez isnt experianced enough because he's not won any thing needs to wake up...

Even if he faisl at Liverpool he will go else where and be a success. I like how the guy conducts himself and he beat all the top teams to keep Wigan in prem, Dalglish couldn't even beat all the bottom teams after spending 100 mill..

(From Facebook)

Montse S Benitez

Sorry to say but LFC has not been in touch with Rafa at all. I'm afraid they have a different idea.

Not on facebook so can't check but apparently it is legit :(

I just hope FSG know what they are doing here.

Even if he faisl at Liverpool he will go else where and be a success. I like how the guy conducts himself and he beat all the top teams to keep Wigan in prem' date=' Dalglish couldn't even beat all the bottom teams after spending 100 mill..[/quote']

problem is, if he does get the job and fails who do we go for next? a championship manager? no one above martinez stature will go anywhere near us and it really will become a poisoned chalice if he fails and we'll be screwed!

Dont start thinking about him failing before he even gets the job...

Take Moyes at Everton, little money to spend, always starts slowly but ends the season well. on a couple of occasions Everton finished low and he could of got the boot, but at times he is touted a possible candidate for The Utd job when Fergie retires. he came from Preston with little experiance.

If the roumours are correct, Liverpool dont have much cash to spend and when they eventually start the stadium expansion or move away they will have even less cash to sepnd on players, to be a top 4 team to generate the revenue we are going to need a 60000 + stadia..

If Martinez comes in and doesnt spend much and he finishes over 3 seasons 7th, 6th and 5th would that be a failure.? Unless Liverpool can go out and buy the best players and do exactly that, no manager on the world would challenge top 4 season after season and we can to be realistic and realise that now.

we are no longer a big club we are a club that relies on out past history, we are still a big brand and well known but we are close to losing that if we dont keep up with the changes in football. the glory of the 70's and 80's are gone. The Liverpool Board have lived in the past for years, they even wanted houllier to be the same as the past and he refused, he wanted to change the style of the club..

The people that have owned Liverpool over the past 10 years are to blame for where we are now...

Martinez will be a success providing we all get behind him, with his young age he could go on to be the fergie of Liverpool over the next 20 years who knows. he's young enough after all..

unless Carrol can start playing as well as we know he can, all we need for next season is a quality wide man and a goal scoring striker, oh and possible cover incase Lucas cant play or doesnt regain his previous form.. it's a shame we cant go for Hazard he looks class..

i think we had the belief last season that we would be competing for hazard this summer if we gained what we set out to achieve (CL) unfortunately that didnt happen.

im not thinking martinez will fail im just saying if he did it could get very bad for us. ive already said he's my No1 candidate out of the ones we know of and i stick by it, he could be great but if it fails it will damage us more than if we'd signed a 'top' name instead.

Wow, We've started talking ourselves down. We are the 8th richest football club in the world, still.

Talking about finishing 5-8th been acceptable for 2 or 3 years is silly. It might be were we end up but its not where we should be aiming for.

I guess whoever gets it has to do a good job. The thing is now whatever you think of him the ghost of Rafa is going to hang over any other manager if they have a bad patch, Kenny got a pass no one else is going to.

Not saying we should aim for 5th to 8th, we finished 7th in Benitez's last season followed by 6th and now 8th.

The facts are City, Utd and Chelsea are miles ahead of us in terms of money they can spend on players and currently are attracting better players, as for Arsenal they have a 60000 stadia generating more cash and with money but we could catch them if they dont buy wisely, still my favorute team to watch despite supporting Liverpool. As for spurs their attacking options last season looked better than our team, on a down side for them they only get small gates so they are catchable..

basicly we are left in a fight for 4th spot but could leave us finishing 5th or 6th if we dont succed.

People say we should be aiming for champions league qualification, i want to challenge for the league but the trouble we have which to be fair we didn't have in the 60's 70's and 80's where 3 teams with more spending power in the transfer market than us..

But just to reiterate i think with the current squad we are capable of 4th with a couple new additions..

Reina is reliable

Agger is one of the best ball playing defenders in the Prem and has stayed injury free more oftern.

Skytel is getting better every season

Lucas was awsome beofr he got injured

Gerrard isnt what he used to be in an attacking sence, but he is class in a slightly different role and a leader.

Suarez is class but he isnt a prolific scorer and we need to stop relying on him to score 30 goals a season.

carrol would be unplayable at his best and is still very young.

Downing has a left foot ;)..

both full backs are decent enough..

the rest are just there to make the squad up really...

Just out of curiosity, why hasn't Pardew been talked about more oftern after what he has done at newcastle this year? remarkable really what they did last season..

Liverpool FC & Everton FC two rival clubs with a "special" friendly rivalry (or so we seem to be often told). Two Clubs who should / deserve to be doing better, two clubs both in need of a new stadium - a stadium both have struggled to finance & make a reality. Isnt there an obvious solution to this that would help both clubs and cement the view that Liverpool is a special place where community can make the unlikly actually happen?. Think Alianz Arena.

No, it merely tells you that your history of poor posts means I'm not prepared to elaborate on it further. There's a ton of resources out there on the web about various proposals regarding a ground, and I can tell you that groundsharing has been bottom of the pile of every single one of them. Stop pretending it's a fan mindset that's caused the club's issues, you only come across as an ignorant fool then.

e: I love the way you bring up the Allianz Arena though, given 1860 sold their stake in the stadium to Bayern within what, 2 years of it being built?

No, it merely tells you that your history of poor posts means I'm not prepared to elaborate on it further. There's a ton of resources out there on the web about various proposals regarding a ground, and I can tell you that groundsharing has been bottom of the pile of every single one of them. Stop pretending it's a fan mindset that's caused the club's issues, you only come across as an ignorant fool then.

e: I love the way you bring up the Allianz Arena though, given 1860 sold their stake in the stadium to Bayern within what, 2 years of it being built?

Silly response, clearly you think its always "someone elses fault" - Good luck with that, you cant move on until you understand where you are. Your club I appreciate were stitched up by a bad bunch (previous owners), and a lot of us older fans of other clubs really want a strong LFC especially if it is built on the historical traditions. It seems you are "selectively" well read, I didnt know about the 1860 thing (am assuming you didnt just discover that by Googling it just to make a hollow point), but all that proves is that that Clubs ambitions will innevitably get as badly derailed as LFC's are right now. To be fair the difference in stature between Bayern & 1860 is vast compared to that between Everton/ Liverpool which may have been a factor.

Seeing those videos of 1970's Anfield big matches (especially v's St Etienne) move me and make me see your club as special and want to wish well on them but your fans blinkered attitude (epitomised by your Posts), along with that of Dalglish, those fans who say Martinez is "not big enough" and the behaviour and support for Suarez over Evra-gate make it very difficult to be supportive.

I'm trying to decide if you're intentionally being obtuse, or you really are just that ignorant you've waded in here and regurgitated that both believing it, and having not actually read up on anything relevant to what you're attempting to discuss. Convince me either way.

I'm trying to decide if you're intentionally being obtuse, or you really are just that ignorant you've waded in here and regurgitated that both believing it, and having not actually read up on anything relevant to what you're attempting to discuss. Convince me either way.

Its not my job to convince you of anything. I cannot though understand why 2 clubs in need of a new ground cannot join forces to make the sensible outcome occur. Financially in FFP times it makes financial sense. Of course the fans views are important but the Merseyside situation is unique (they tell me),and in Manchester & N London a communual new stadium is not required, but if it were I would make the same arguement in those cases too. I have still to hear any arguement that is based on anything other than small mindedness or bigotary that proves a shared stadium built by both clubs for both clubs is not a sensible solution to the problem that holds both clubs back presently. My last Post on the matter so contradict away if you must.....

Ok take away the "attitude" both sets of fans have and pretend that isn't an issue.

The practical issues alone mean its somewhat pointless. Unless say LCC where to be the driving force behind it, who leads the build ?

Both clubs want different things from a new stadium Neither would be happy with what the other want.

Shared stadiums really don't work unless a third party owns it or one clubs agrees to rent from another.

Actually if we are going to use the small mindedness argument then the "practical" thing would be for Liverpool to build a new stadium and Everton to buy Anfield..... i'm sure that would go down well :)

Silly response, clearly you think its always "someone elses fault" - Good luck with that, you cant move on until you understand where you are.

same breath:

a lot of us older fans of other clubs really want a strong LFC especially if it is built on the historical traditions.

So you want us to move on, but build a club based on it's history? And you wonder why it's hard to take you seriously? And that's before your complete ignorance in here as to what people have posted regarding Martinez (clue: most wouldn't have a problem with him, including me, despite you saying it was a viewpoint shared by "your fans blinkered attitude" and that it was "epitomised by my posts"), and then you bring up Suarez, to further illustrate your complete and utter ignorance as to what people in here have actually written. So yes, you're an ignorant fool, and your aspersions about the followers of this club, posting in here, couldn't be further wide of the mark. Don't claim to know what you're speaking about and then try and lecture me/us.

same breath:

So you want us to move on, but build a club based on it's history? And you wonder why it's hard to take you seriously? And that's before your complete ignorance in here as to what people have posted regarding Martinez (clue: most wouldn't have a problem with him, including me, despite you saying it was a viewpoint shared by "your fans blinkered attitude" and that it was "epitomised by my posts"), and then you bring up Suarez, to further illustrate your complete and utter ignorance as to what people in here have actually written. So yes, you're an ignorant fool, and your aspersions about the followers of this club, posting in here, couldn't be further wide of the mark. Don't claim to know what you're speaking about and then try and lecture me/us.

Oh dear!

Good luck with all that.

Northeu, thanks for an intelligent reply. I am starting to think you are right - it cannot happen in England. I guess the problem is that ideally the City would own the Stadium but then a lot of the potential revenue does not get to the Clubs anyway. For what its worth I cant imagine LFC anywhere but Anfield even if it looks nothing like the Anfield of today.

Ground share will never happen. This 'friendship' between the clubs is long gone. The derby is no longer friendly I can promise you that. Could never imagine sharing a ground with them wouldn't feel right.

Also we'd have to waste money on a trophy cabinet for them which just wouldn't get used :D

Lets be honest based on finances and other things a ground share would benifit Everton more than Liverpool..

Why dont Arsenal and Spurs ground Share.? why dont City and Utd share? why dont Chelsea and Fulham Share? it's not really a british trait to share, Yes maybe the Milan clubs do but doesnt mean Liverpool and Everton should share. Everton has been skint for years, Liverpool not building a new staidium doesnt come down to funds, if anfield could be Developed it would have been done by now and spending over 300 mill just to increase the capacity in a new stadia by 15000 isnt worth the out lay..

The reason Anfield hasn't been redeveloped is because the sarounding houses would lose daylight etc.. Every one wants to redevelope Anfiled and getting permission from the council isnt an easy thing..

As a Brighton fan I can tell you that ground sharing takes the soul out of your club, even crappy Withdean beat sharing.

I don't see LFC ever needing to do it and I sincerely hope it stays that way.

It's very much an Italian thing is this ground-sharing and its usually because the stadium is owned by the local council.

A redeveloped Anfield could generate further cash for the club with concerts and if it is built to the highest standard it could even host major European finals.

Actually if we are going to use the small mindedness argument then the "practical" thing would be for Liverpool to build a new stadium and Everton to buy Anfield..... i'm sure that would go down well :)

Don't see that being a problem - they'd be returning home :)

Lets be honest based on finances and other things a ground share would benifit Everton more than Liverpool..

Why dont Arsenal and Spurs ground Share.? why dont City and Utd share? why dont Chelsea and Fulham Share? it's not really a british trait to share' date=' Yes maybe the Milan clubs do but doesnt mean Liverpool and Everton should share. Everton has been skint for years, Liverpool not building a new staidium doesnt come down to funds, if anfield could be Developed it would have been done by now and spending over 300 mill just to increase the capacity in a new stadia by 15000 isnt worth the out lay..

The reason Anfield hasn't been redeveloped is because the sarounding houses would lose daylight etc.. Every one wants to redevelope Anfiled and getting permission from the council isnt an easy thing..[/quote']

People should be encouraged to bulldoze Anfield as much as possible. It's a **** tip.

The reason those clubs don't share is cause they don't need to. Nothing seems to be getting done about a new ground for Liverpool and they need that to compete so I guess that's why people mention ground sharing. If they just got on with it and there wasn't concerns about price and sites, etc then I doubt anyone would mention it. You have Liverpool 'putting a spade in the ground in weeks' and Everton found a new site at Kings Dock yet nothing has happened hence people bringing up ground sharing.

Liverpool need a new ground, all the new VIP and executive stuff that goes with that too, get that matchday revenue up, screw developing Anfield

Every city in this country is an ugly pile of ****. I'm not reserving special critique just for Liverpool.

i suggest you go and visit cambridge then, absolutely beautiful city

I suggest you travel abroad more.

ive been abroad plenty thanks, cambridge is a beautiful city, plenty of open parks, loads of historic buildings, its an amazing place to live

On a more football related note, today's RAWK comment of the day

Though Martinez is a decent manager ......but he's not the right choice for managing a team like Liverpool....gotta say really disappointed by the way Henry and Company are managing affairs at Liverpool....probably has something to do with being American....lol.... i mean those guys run around holding a ball and call it football...is dat dumb or what......I just dont understand why they don't go for guys like hiddink or Rijkaard...managers who can handle and have a reputation at stake.....Maritinez...well he can come and take over but he's got no reputation to live up to.......FSG should have mercy on liverpool fans and just go away

The reason those clubs don't share is cause they don't need to. Nothing seems to be getting done about a new ground for Liverpool and they need that to compete so I guess that's why people mention ground sharing. If they just got on with it and there wasn't concerns about price and sites, etc then I doubt anyone would mention it. You have Liverpool 'putting a spade in the ground in weeks' and Everton found a new site at Kings Dock yet nothing has happened hence people bringing up ground sharing.

Liverpool need a new ground, all the new VIP and executive stuff that goes with that too, get that matchday revenue up, screw developing Anfield

quite clearly the fact a new stadium has been the talk since moores was around and no shovel has been put in the ground must highlight the fact that it is not easy to do. ayres recently mentioned that the additional 15k seats would cost 300m in an anfield redevelopment.

i seem to remember some years back a similar number being bandied for a new stadium on stanley park. imagine that figure now with inflation in construction costs.

Take for instance that Soccer City for the WC10 final was roughly $440mio depending on exchange rate used at a point in time. And that the land was already owned.

the cost is immense. i would rather fsg did a proper job in evaluating the best option.

because while the associated costs don't count against ffp; the impact will be that transfer funds will be impacted and thus ability to improve the team. so if we believe that fsg think that gaining returns out of their liverpool investment means getting in more than 44k people to watch a match; than they are very much invested in getting a larger stadium.

like them, as fans we are also highly invested in them getting the cost of a new stadium (or redevelopment) at the lowest possible cost.

we may have divergent end interests to the owners. but unlike the glazers at united, these owners haven't walked into a gold mine. so the means to get to the ends we both want pretty much fall in the same path.

Archived