Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

Kenny was the right man to take over from Roy, steady the ship, and clean things up ready to hand over to a proper manager. He's done a good job in that regard. Bought some youth, put some foundations in place, got us a sneaky trophy and restored some positivity on the terraces.

But that's as far as it goes for me. I don't think many people think he's the one to take us to the next level. If we could get someone like that Dortmund manager i'd be over the moon really.

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
End product is still just horrendously bad. Don't understand the logic behind asking for earlier substitutions in that game particularly. Why would you change it? We were on top throughout the majority of the game.

Because Downing is just not good enough and we had Bellamy on the bench who still has some pace and can make things happen. Nice to have some fresh legs on and a plan B in a must win game.

Kenny was the right man to take over from Roy, steady the ship, and clean things up ready to hand over to a proper manager. He's done a good job in that regard. Bought some youth, put some foundations in place, got us a sneaky trophy and restored some positivity on the terraces.

But that's as far as it goes for me. I don't think many people think he's the one to take us to the next level. If we could get someone like that Dortmund manager i'd be over the moon really.

yeah i don't think it was at all a bad idea to bring him in, but agree with everything there. would prefer Rudi Garcia to Klopp but would be happy with either

So surely your position should be for Bellamy to start over Downing. Not complain about a late sub.

No. We all know that Bellamy rarely starts games because of his fitness.

Why is Kenny waiting until the 87th minute to replace a player who has been utterly **** for 95% of his LFC career with (arguably) our best player this season in a game that we had to win? On what planet does that make sense?

No. We all know that Bellamy rarely starts games because of his fitness.

Why is Kenny waiting until the 87th minute to replace a player who has been utterly **** for 95% of his LFC career with (arguably) our best player this season in a game that we had to win? On what planet does that make sense?

What is wrong with Bellamys fitness? :S

Bellamy's knees are knackered basically. Him playing for Wales in midweek meant he was only gonna get 15 minutes maximum.

Another performance typical of this season really. Another missed penalty (plus Kuyt making a cluster **** of the rebound), hit the post twice, Suarez doing something astounding to create himself a chance but not scoring from it, several quality saves from their keeper, and numerous chances to put the game to bed, and end up with sod all.

Definitely one of our better performances, and to be fair to Kenny it felt like there was a 2nd goal coming since the arsenal equaliser, it just didn't happen. Players have to take responsibility for this one i'm afraid.

Anytime I hear a players' knees are 'knackered' I think if they're that knackered they wouldn't be playing. There are no players playing who's knees are knackered in the way we all consider knackered to be and playing Premier League football. Ledley King perhaps and he's an extreme case and he doesn't train by all accounts. Bellamy has his own training regime, I understand.

This is what coaches are for, play him in the big game in which you may need him following the international and then let him rest the following week right through to the next week *shrugs*

Absolutely mullered Arsenal there and lost 2-1. Story of our season.

I would say we were the better side but we certainly didn't muller them. The first half we were by far the better side but second half was much more even and they had the far better chances.

We are a mess under Kenny, really lack any kind of killer instinct or the mental strength to go and actually win a game. Longer he is here, the further we will fall behind the top sides. Time to go Kenny, you were the right man to steady the ship after Roy but you have to hand the reigns over to someone who can take this club back to the top end of the table. Sooner JW Henry gets on the phone to Rafa the better!

Match report from todays game

Boro: Coddington, Bennett, Sirrell © (Garrity), Galpin, Weledji, Osokieme, Waters (Maloney), Edwards, Kneeshaw, Fowler, Warnett (Boagey) - Unused - McGlade

Liverpool: Belford, McLaughlin, Sokolik, Regan, Rafferty, Peterson, Lushey, Baio (Hatch), Dunn, Morgan, Ibe (Ortiz)

Liverpool started the game very quickly and put Middlesbrough straight onto the back foot by winning an early freekick about 25 yards out in the centre of the pitch.

Moments later Ryan McLaughlin burst down the Liverpool right twisting and turning and as he cut inside he was caught by Sirrell, the referee blew and as everyone awaited him to point towards the penalty spot he confused all by giving a free kick on the very edge of the box. The free kick was cleared by Boro but the Liverpool attacks continued but like waves crashing against the rocks the Boro defence time after time held strong.

Middlesbrough’s England U17 goal keeper Luke Coddington was called into action when Adam Morgan cut in from the Liverpool right and struck the ball left footed from 20 yards, Coddington though was equal to it and saved easily.

The weather took a turn for the worse with light drizzle getting heavier, with the pitch becoming a lot slicker the games seemed to flow better.

Against the run of play Boro broke and a corner was worked across the box to Edwards who switched the ball onto his right and struck a low drive from about 25 yards, despite the LFC keeper being at full stretch the ball struck the inside of the post and nestled in the opposite corner of the net.

GOAL BORO – Edwards

Coddington again needed to get down low to save from Lushey as Liverpool continued to dominate possession. Middlesbrough seemed to struggle to keep hold of the ball continually breaking up attacks but themselves not able to get out of their own half much.

For all the visitors possession though they had only amassed 3 shots on target and hadn’t really tested the Boro keeper.

Middlesbrough doubled their lead though, again against the run of play. Fowler getting wide left and pulling the ball back to the edge of the box where Matty Waters took two touches, the first to control the bouncing ball the second to slam the ball into the bottom left of the Liverpool net. 2-0 Boro.

GOAL BORO – Waters

As the first half drew to a close clearly Boro having struck twice against the run of play seemed to tell as both Adam Morgan and Yalany Baio were warned by the referee for arguing among themselves.

Boro’s front two of Kneeshaw and Warnett then seemed to come to life, both using their pace whilst playing off the shoulders of the taller defenders. Both were able to find space in the channels and were able to hold the ball up as Boro’s defence pushed up the field.

Kneeshaw peeled superbly off his man to get onto a Fowler through ball and found himself with only the goal keeper to beat, unfortunately his touch was slightly heavy allowing the keeper to come out and block the shot just as Kneeshaw hit it.

HALF TIME - BORO 2 LIVERPOOL 0

LIVERPOOL SUB – Hatch on, Baio off

Second half started the same way as the first with Liverpool moving the ball about well, but lacking that real cutting edge. As in the first half they seemed to be wide open for counter attacks.

A claver lofted ball down the right by Curtis Edwards found Wilson Kneeshaw on the run, he managed to beat his man and perfect cross between the Liverpool keeper and central defender Sokolik and Warnett was able to stoop down low and head in at the back post!

GOAL BORO – Warnett

LIVERPOOL SUB – Ibe off, Ortiz on.

Ryan McLaughlin continued to be a threat bursting forward from the Liverpool right back position, he drove into the box and struck a powerful shot near post but Coddington was equal to it, saving well.

As Liverpool piled forward Boro were able to find space down their right and it was a quick well places ball by Kneeshaw that found Warnett. The young Boro forward burst into the box and as he turned quickly Regan hauled the player over. The referee blew and points straight to the penalty spot.

Jake Fowler stepped up and calm as you like sent the keeper the wrong way and placed the ball into the bottom left corner of the net. 4-0 Boro

GOAL BORO – Fowler (pen)

Boro’s 4th seemed to kick Liverpool into life and they hit back immediately when a right side Ortiz corner was swung in and met powerfully by Sokolik. 4-1!

GOAL LIVERPOOL – Sokolik

MIDDLESBROUGH SUB – Warnett off, Boagey on, Waters off, Maloney on.

With the goal adding more wind to the LFC sails they continued to press forward, but with Boro playing 3 centre backs they, time after time got their foot in, timed their tackles perfectly, headed clear and blocked shots. Time after time Edge Okosieme stepped out to make sliding tackles, Weledji chansed down players and blocked crosses at source and Galpin was strong in every tackle not allowing Youth International Morgan time or space to set up attacks.

A miss timed tackle in midfield gave Liverpool a central free kick about 35 yards out, the impressive Jack Dunn stood over it and a stinging strike looked goal bound until Luke Coddington amazingly at full stretch went airborne and managed to somehow fingertip it round the post.

MIDDLESBROUGH SUB – Sirrell off, Garrity on

The Boro change meant they moved to a more traditional 4-4-2 with Galpin moving to left back and Garrity coming on up front.

Liverpool came close again when an Edward’s mistake gave the ball away to Morgan but he couldn’t control his effort and slashed it into the side netting.

Coddington again went full stretch to keep the score line the same when Nacho Ortiz jinked onto his left foot 18 yards out and pulled the ball across the goal, Coddington going to his right managed to change direction and get both hands to the ball and force it wide for a corner.

FULL TIME – BORO 4 LIVERPOOL 1

Man of the Match – Jake Fowler.

It’s very harsh to have to pick one player out from the 14 that played because everyone had outstanding games. Especially the 3 centre backs (Oksieme, Weledji and Galpin) who were rock solid. Winning every tackle, every header, breaking up every attack. But Fowler gets the nod because he was always there in the middle of the field to put his foot on the ball and calm things down.

Two assists and a goal for the Sunderland born England Youth International, fantastic performance in picking out passes and continually skipping past opposition players. Back to his best with Edwards alongside him, passing and moving making the game look so simple.

it's the thing that ****ing gets to me. tangible goal scoring opportunities pissed down the drain.

- suarez and the post

- the penalty

- kelly

- downing when the keeper was on the floor outside the box

And there were less obviious ones such as when Adam could have put Henderson through but inexplicably turned back into a defender, and when Downing just had to cross properly to Suarez inside the penalty area but ballsed it up with a lack of finesse.

In summary; ARGGGHHHHHH

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9116926/Liverpool-striker-Craig-Bellamy-is-the-Premier-Leagues-sprint-king-at-the-age-of-32.html - Take of that what you will, but do not think his fitness is that bad :D

Tbf reading it again, does not really back me up on Bellamys fitness what so ever.

That article just highlights the lengths that Bellamy has to go to to keep his fitness up. Fair play to him, it shows an incredible level of professionalism to install an altitude chamber in your bedroom, and to keep the desire to play the game how he does. He'll always give 100% as far as his body will let him, but the pace he plays at and the amount of runs and sprints he does will take its toll eventually. And we don't know the full detail of his fitness levels, the club will keep that private as much as possible. But if you put players into a top-level game when they're not physically ready for it they will suffer, Gerrard on Wednesday being a case in point.

Apparently there was a bust up after the your game today.

Heard Adam was having a pop at Kenny and Suarez?

He aimed his arguments at them but ending up shouting at the wall. :)

Given our current injuries, what would you have done different than Kenny today?

not spent all my money on Adam and Henderson in the summer and/or bought in the jan window. Kenny got himself in this position.

also, played Maxi. Maybe dropped Suarez deeper playing off Carroll too

Last season after 26 league games we had 38 points (first 20 games were under Hodgson)

This season after 26 league games we have 39 points

Amazing progress under "the king"

if Woy was here could you imagine the outrage if he'd spent that much on Carroll/Adam/Henderson/Downing and only got 1more point? He'd probably be getting death threats.

Looking at the rolling league table thread, we've gone from 6 points better off than our corresponding league fixtures last season at christmas time, to 1 point worse off than last seasons games now. Really has been a horrific run in the league.

Last season after 26 league games we had 38 points (first 20 games were under Hodgson)

This season after 26 league games we have 39 points

Amazing progress under "the king"

We played well today and if we had played like that week in week out instead of just against the top 4 we would be in the top 4 ourselves.

I don't know how Liverpool fans slate Wenger and mock him for not winning anything yet say give Dalglish time despite only 4 home wins this seasons, 4 wins in league since start of November, 18 goals in 16 games 3 of which were in 1 game. Cups are great but league is bread and butter and we are falling further away from a title challenge. Liverpool need a manager who is prepared to accept he will lose 2 or 3 games in 10 but win 6 rather than a manager trying not to lose a game and ending with 6 draws 1 win 3 defeats.

I think Adam is getting worse game by game. He started off ok and you thought he would kick on once everyone gels together. I dont know what it is with him every corner or free kick seems be worse than the last one he takes. I expected him to have scored a few free kicks by now.

I dont know if its pressure but there are a few others who are not on top of there game at the minute.

Adam was mixed bag today some play good most of the play wasn't. Downing is improving though he should have set up Suarez in second half for a tap in. Spearing did ok we just can't score and Suarez missed a few more sitters today.

gutted really. we played well though and arsenal couldnt have complained if we'd scored 4 or 5 goals, problem is, we cant.

is adam ever gonna get dropped?? awful again today but he never misses a match wtf?! i'd play every other midfielder we've got at the club ahead of him now and sell him for 2m in the summer the complete waste of space.

coates needs to come in aswell for carra, thought he wasnt too bad today but 2 mistakes cost us dearly and he has to take the blame for them, if agger was fit we'd have probably won 1-0. cant afford mistakes like that anymore.

Still pretty certain that Carragher is getting blamed too easily for both goals. The first Reina should definitely have come for, it was headed in from a yard away from where he was standing. The second RVP just beat the offside trap and again beat Reina too easily imo.

We may have other more pressing concerns atm, but I'm worried about Pepe. He needs to sort himself out a bit, he's been way off top form for the best part of 18 months.

Archived