Liverpool Thread 2011/12

Rafalution

• Replies 13.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although that table is a bit pointless as Rafa was here for 6 years so only a few of the people on his side can be considered regulars it does show how far kenny has brought us in a relatively short period of time. We are much stronger now than we were under Hodgson. But we are still some distance off where we were with Rafa. I think given time we could get somewhere close. I think Kenny was always seen by most as a great choice to have to come in, rebuild the squad, improve the style of football and basically pass over the club in a few years to a younger manager in a very good shape.

I don't think we're much stronger at all. Weaker in midfield, weaker up front, pretty much the same defence with only one new face. The things Kenny has in his favour over Woy are a great new board and a team that wants to play for him.

no he didn't, he was still hitting everything in to the first man or way over everybody's heads. Adam was brought in to do one thing and he's been rubbish at it.

I really hope when DC says there won't be the same level of transfers as before he just means we'll bring in one great CM, winger and ST and no one else, as opposed to that there will be £20m to spend or something. If it turns out we put nearly all our eggs in the Carroll/Adam/Henderson basket I will not be happy.

It goes back to what I was saying both last January and in the summer. Its all well and good spending big money on the players we did, but even at the time the majority of us could see that these buys are only good enough for consolidation. If there is a similar amount of money available we can maybe push on and buy the couple of top players we need. If there isn't, we're no better off than we were.

We still badly need investment on some new players. This lot can't cut it.

I thought he had two great games at both at Chelsea before Lucas was injured in the second one. His set pieces weren't great but his all round passing was a lot better and I think that came with the freedom Lucas gave him. Don't get me wrong I don't think he is anywhere near good enough for us. I just thought he looked a lot better when he had Lucas to back him up.

For me Adam was miles better when Lucas was fit and before Gerrard was back.

Also are we not buying for certain positions as we believe some of the youth will step up? Like not buying a right winger for example.

I can see Kelly, Flanagan and Robinson making it. With the right work of course.

Shelvey could make it at PL. Probably needs to work on his strength and defensive part of his game. Henderson needs to be more confident and adventurous.

From what i have seen from Sterling/Suso i think they would need to be tried at a higher level to comment much further.

maybe the same line up as sunday but with either bellamy or kuyt coming in for henderson on the right. i'd prefer kuyt as he always comes up good in the big games and downing has been much better on the left.

as for the youth coming through, i dont think any of them are ready to step up tbh, even kelly has been shown up this season and hes about the best of them. problem is we've got too many square pegs in round holes, defence is ok but we've got too many mids who are too similar in that they cant put a tackle in to save their lives with adam, hendo and shelvey all atrocious at any kind of defensive responsibility and gerrard simply not wanting/unable to do it anymore. spearing had his chance and fluffed it imo although if we were to play a DM it means dropping carroll to accommodate.

Maxi been showing off new boots on twitter so maybe hes getting a runout.

No agger, prob no Gerrard so can't see same team really.

I reckon Reina, Johno, Skrts, Carra, Enrique, downing, Adam, Hendo, maxi, Suarez, then Either Carroll starts or Bellamy for the last spot imo.

is gerrard out tomorrow then, heard nothing about his injury (or even if he was injured tbh)?

going with a midfield without an out and out dm in there against arsenal is asking for trouble, the thought of adam/henderson/gerrard chasing the ball around against arsenal is not a good one. spearing should play as should kuyt. i'd still play two up front though as arsenal are soft as **** in defence and i'd be gutted if we didn't go after them at home, both carroll and suarez can cause them all sorts of problems. stick bellamy on the left, kuyt right, press high up and let them and suarez hussle the defenders like mad.

He had a tight hamstring when he went off for England. afailk nothing else has been said by the club about it. I guess he won't be risked.

Reina

Johnson

Enrique

Skrtel

Carra

Spearing

Adam

Henderson

Downing

Suarez

Carroll

is how I expect us to line up. I know its a long shot seeing Downing and Carroll within 100 yards of each other though, yet alone on the same pitch.

Personally I'd like to see Kuyt and Bellamy starting, but that won't happen.

Yep it's a six pointer. Arsenal will be on a high after their triumph last weekend, and I think they will attack us much harder than Spurs did in our previous home league match. We haven't lost at Anfield yet. Should be a real cracker, especially if we defend as well as we have done and can hurt them on the counter. Skrtel to be a key player for us, as always.

Just seen the Arsenal team and i've been harsh on their centre backs there. Both are excellent. But again, neither are particularly dominant in the air and he could have had some joy.

Also just generally think Suarez is ****ing crap too so really want Carroll to play games and build on the promising form he had. Definitely has goals in him that lad.

I've decided I'm never going to judge our offensive players until a new manager comes in. I refuse to accept all of our players are that inept at playing football up front. There has to be something in the things they are told during tactics.

I genuinely just think Suarez is a bag of ***** in front of goal.

I genuinely just think Suarez is a bag of ***** in front of goal.

He's a strange one. Can do the impossible but can't knock in a tap in. He seems to boss it for Uruguay and Ajax, so who knows. He probably just needs more support creatively from midfield so he can relax a bit. I could see him shifting to the right of a front three. He'd be more effective, I reckon.

I don't know if he's good enough tbh. It's all relative. Obviously he's definitely good enough to play for Liverpool, and is one of our best players. But I don't know if he's good enough to keep in the knowledge that he's probably worth about £35m, scores no goals and tends to miss 8-10 games per season in ludicrous suspensions.

Sometimes I lean towards 'sell'. But I accept it may be a bad shout. Haven't come across too many who agree with me.

I don't know if he's good enough tbh. It's all relative. Obviously he's definitely good enough to play for Liverpool, and is one of our best players. But I don't know if he's good enough to keep in the knowledge that he's probably worth about £35m, scores no goals and tends to miss 8-10 games per season in ludicrous suspensions.

Sometimes I lean towards 'sell'. But I accept it may be a bad shout. Haven't come across too many who agree with me.

Regardless of his obvious issues, you can probably argue he's in the top 10-15 strikers in the world. There really isn't that many decent strikers these days. It's a scarce market. Can we really afford to not have him in the team?

Keep him and wait until a new manager comes in. Which I believe could be the end of the season.

Archived