Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

Conversely -

'France Football correspondent Philippe Auclair tells BBC Radio 5 live he is "surprised" by doubts over the publication's claims that Didier Drogba has told his team-mates that he is to leave Chelsea.

Chelsea and Drogba's representatives poured cold water on the claims but, stressing the "absolute authenticity" of the magazine's quotes, Auclair said the information had come from a diary Drogba had been keeping for France Football.'

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really unsure about starting Sturridge in the final. Been in poor form and would've to put in a big shift in either wing tracking Bayern's wingers, which I'm not overly sure he's capable of. Play Bertrand ahead of Cole imo
el sid is smug

RodgersSmug.gif

xnod .

Conversely -

'France Football correspondent Philippe Auclair tells BBC Radio 5 live he is "surprised" by doubts over the publication's claims that Didier Drogba has told his team-mates that he is to leave Chelsea.

Chelsea and Drogba's representatives poured cold water on the claims but, stressing the "absolute authenticity" of the magazine's quotes, Auclair said the information had come from a diary Drogba had been keeping for France Football.'

well maybe but i think it would be right to leave on top

not a surprise, don't really know what he could do next year to top scoring the winning penalty in the Champions League Final

perfect ending for him though, last kick for Chelsea ends 8 years trying to win the competition

Unplayable on his day, impossible not; a true great. The histrionics that everybody got so pissed off by just enhanced him to me. We're not getting anybody better, just have to hope that we can get Lukaku up to his level. Relying on Torres (possibly Sturridge?) for next season does not fill me with confidence.

STATUE HIM UP

This as well, the right thing to do without doubt.

Sad that he's gone, but he's gone out in the perfect way at the perfect time IMO. He'll never be forgotten, a true club legend, definitely deserves a permanent statue or something at the Bridge or the new ground, or at least name something after him. At his best, he was just unplayable, I doubt we'll see someone like him again for a long time (come on Lukaku, prove me wrong), it's a privilege to have been around to watch him all these years

Fantastic player for us (after the first 18 or so months :D), and one of the best around. Premier League defenders will sleep a lot better tonight hearing news of his departure.

I do feel calls to name stadium/retire number are a bit over the top.

PL is gonna be different without Drogba. Even as a Leeds fan I think I'll miss him. Unbelievable player on his day and his record in big games is just insane (9 goals in 9 cup finals iirc?)

he will certainly be missed but its the right time to go out on top now a certain mr torres will have no excuses as long as we dont do something stupid like sign another class striker

Yeah it would defo be stupid to sign a top class striker in the Summer. I said this before but I'll say it again, if Torres is that insecure that he doesn't want ANY compeition for a spot in the team then I'm not sure he's the right player for us.

Yeah it would defo be stupid to sign a top class striker in the Summer. I said this before but I'll say it again, if Torres is that insecure that he doesn't want ANY compeition for a spot in the team then I'm not sure he's the right player for us.

i dont think its that i think if you look at the class players that have not quite made it while drogba has been with us you will find that drogba's presence has affected all of them he is so domineering now he has gone i expect the current three and any other backup striker we sign will flourish

I mean no offence, but that is a load of rubbish. There's no way Torres is going to start banging them in just because Drogba isn't there anymore. I hope that Torres swap deal + money for Falcao is true, if not then hopefully we can sign someone like Cavani.

I'd drive Torres to Madrid if I could drive back with Falcao.
And if he flops then what? We're back to square one, hence why, imo, it's not a risk worth taking (ie. trying to go out and sign a big name ST abroad, hopefully the board have learned from their mistakes). Not to mention that a ST isn't top of the list of priorities either.

And if he flops then what? We're back to square one, hence why, imo, it's not a risk worth taking (ie. trying to go out and sign a big name ST abroad, hopefully the board have learned from their mistakes). Not to mention that a ST isn't top of the list of priorities either.

i pretty much agree with all that except if we are sending lukaku out id look at wolfswinkel as backup with studge for torres

I mean no offence, but that is a load of rubbish. There's no way Torres is going to start banging them in just because Drogba isn't there anymore. I hope that Torres swap deal + money for Falcao is true, if not then hopefully we can sign someone like Cavani.

well i think you will see a difference confidence wise because if the new manager says you are n.o 1 it will give him confidence which when at his most confident at liverpool he was told that and was amazing

Falcao is not going to flop at any side he plays for, guy is insane. And if we took that approach we would end up not signing anyone. £20m+ for Ramires and Luiz were both gambles, sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't.

Falcao is not going to flop at any side he plays for, guy is insane. And if we took that approach we would end up not signing anyone. £20m+ for Ramires and Luiz were both gambles, sometimes they pay off, sometimes they don't.
There's a difference between £20m and paying for Falcao (we're not gonna be throwing round £40-50M any more, nor should we do so for him) especially as Falcao isn't a necessity nor should he be a priority in the transfer market. Who knows if Drogba leaving could be the elephant in the room leaving for Torres?

What if he hypothetically does come and doesn't do well? What then? You can't be telling me that you're 100% convinced there isn't a chance he doesn't do well. Going for Falcao is too high risk because we should be looking to strengthen in other areas of the squad before we look into the striker position.

If he flops then it's a balls up, but I'm not talking about signing him to have along with Torres I'm talking about a swap/sell Torres elsewhere. It would be cheaper and he may be on lower wages. Plus Falcao has been unbelievable the last 2 or 3 seasons, where as when we signed Torres he was still off form. We've given the Torres experiment 18 months now and I'm not confident keeping on with it now we no longer have Drogba as an insurance policy. I'm also not sure on the whole Drogba domineering story; Torres had 6 weeks in Jan/Feb where Didier was at the ACoN and he was the main option, Torres did sod all.

Well I think the Striker position is where we are weakest, so I think money should be spent on that. I'm not sure spending £40m+ on Falcao is a good idea, though I'd take the swap Torres + £20m deal that the papers were talking about a few days ago. Someone like Cavani would be £30m odd, am sure there are others that could do a good job for £20-30m. Torres just isn't the answer, hoping that he comes good now because Drogba isn't here is clutching at straws and highly unlikely. There's a chance any player can fail, does that mean we should stop doing any transfers? No. It's all about assessing the risk and if you feel it is the right move then you make it, sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. We can't let the failure of the Torres transfer dictate all transfers in the future.

We don't have a proper RW/RM, a good backup for RB and a good backup for GK which is quite worrying.

We're hoping that if one of Cavani or Falcao sign, they're gonna take like duck to water and have an immediate impact and score plenty of goals. I know we can't let the failure of Torres' transfer dictate future ones but it should, hopefully, dictate a more structured and well thought out transfer plan (ie. transfer targets) - which to the credit of the club, has been in the last few years.

To me, Cavani for £30m would be a well thought out transfer, is strong, would fit our formation, is young, is good. I think Hutch is fine for backup RB, Turnbull and Hilario are fine for backup keepers, we do need a RW though. Striker and RW is priority for me, outside of those two positions our side looks really good.

Agree with what jmr said tbh; Ferreira has hardly let us down when he's played and Hutch can definitely do a job. With regards to the back up keeper situation it really can't be a priority, Cech rarely misses a game and Turnbull/Hilario are decent enough. Only way I'd want a replacement if one was available on a free.

Archived