Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A direct counterattacking striker is always going to struggle when put into a team playing possession football. Granted he's taking longer than anyone's expected to fit into this style of play, but he makes his runs without his teammates playing the needed direct passes. He makes himself available to his teammates, sometimes losing the ball in certain positions because his whole career he's never had to play with his back to goal, but he does not hide and that's important when lacking confidence. He fights for possession when it looks like the rest of team look only to soak up the pressure, frequently winning the ball before the opposition start their attacks; so yes, I think he can be of use to the club. He may not be the 50m pound world beater we thought we signed, but he didn't decide his own price tag now did he?

Nope. Pretty sure everyone here will be over the moon if we end up getting him. I think we may well do it and end up getting him (due to being able to pay his wages, the amount of playing time he'll get - and he'd be a focal point of our side if he were to going - all add up in our favour).

Should dig up the EXCUSE LIST
It stops becoming an excuse when there's elements of truth to the points. Rolfe is going so overboard about Torres, it's quite ridiculous.

Nope. Pretty sure everyone here will be over the moon if we end up getting him. I think we may well do it and end up getting him (due to being able to pay his wages, the amount of playing time he'll get - and he'd be a focal point of our side if he were to going - all add up in our favour).

It stops becoming an excuse when there's elements of truth to the points. Rolfe is going so overboard about Torres, it's quite ridiculous.

There is very little truth to most of what Whirlwind says :confused:.

Anyway I must revise.

Anyway I must revise.

I was referring to the 'excuse list' which if you were to find, you'd probably see there is an element of truth to points made on said list.

The bottom line with Torres thus far is, we overpaid for an out of form striker who continued that poor form till the end of that 1/2 season (where he looked poor but at the same time Ancelotti never really knew how to utilize him - or him and Drogba together as it turned out to be). This season he's shown both the poor and the good, with him being very sharp and showing some promising form since Di Matteo arrived which has led to him restoring some of his confidence, which has been an issue, and has managed to score. If you're trying to tell me that you've not seen improvements since Di Matteo's come in and that Torres has actually looked decent/good since his arrival, then you're being too subjective.

I would go more in depth about his performances and how he isn't the same player he was in the sense that he's become more of a team player (most likely due to the mental block he was having and not having the confidence to be greedy) and the fact that he has to drift out wide to get the ball on many occasions because of slow build up play or whatnot but you get my point. I just think some of the comments made about him are absurd (like would rather want Carroll than Torres)

My only concern is that we aren't going to replace the numbers leaving with numbers coming in.

Squad squad squad.

I agree with you there, we need a couple more players anyway that would be squad type players. I really think it would be worth us looking at players like Dempsey and Ba as I think they could be great signings for us. Dempsey can play in a number of places and Ba is a good striker to have. Especially as Dempsey is in the last year of his contract and Ba supposedly has that £6mill release clause. Or was this not true in the end?

I think we need to replace the players we get rid of with younger, better quality players but the problem is to do that would cost a lot. Still think if we got someone like Hazard we should go for someone like Kagawa as then our creative options would be brilliant. Also think we need a backup right back as I doubt Hutch/Ferreira could stand in as many times as Brana needed to. I hope to be proved wrong though.

In terms of Torres. I think you all know where I do stand on him but I have to say even I would accept a decent offer based on his form since he's been with us. If he can get back to his old form then yes, I will love him (and already do) but I would take a few strikers over him if we had the option to sell him and then buy them. Really, really, really want Falcao.

Anyway I must revise.

Not the truth you'd want to see anyway.

As for the squad, Kalou and bosingwa aren't starters, so even if we sign no one and simply replace them with, say, Kakuta and Hutch, it wouldn't be a big problem.

Saunders is a ****, Bogarde is a ****, Torres is just a joke. I don't hate him, I hate the footballer he is and the idea that he can be anything of use to the club.

Well he was of use for 11 goals and 11 assists this season as Drogba cannot play every match.

i haven't been particularly serious since that first post :D

club would be served moving on this turnip this summer. chalk it off as another loss. but we won't.

Precisely. I honestly do not see the need to be so extremely prejudiced against him, he's here to stay, and we should be hoping, for the good of our club, that he comes good, and improves upon what he has shown this season. Even if we can get another striker in who is much better, there's no chance of moving him on, keep him as a rotation/backup/wing option, and if he contributes to another 20+ goals like he did this season, it's not a terrible statistic ffs. If he was some random footballer that came for like 5 million, you would have said he has had a decent/good season. Roman decided to put a 50 million price tag on his head, which honestly is not his fault if someone decides to hurl a big load of cash your way. Anyway Roman can afford it, so there's no point merely slamming Torres all the time.

Precisely. I honestly do not see the need to be so extremely prejudiced against him, he's here to stay, and we should be hoping, for the good of our club, that he comes good, and improves upon what he has shown this season. Even if we can get another striker in who is much better, there's no chance of moving him on, keep him as a rotation/backup/wing option, and if he contributes to another 20+ goals like he did this season, it's not a terrible statistic ffs. If he was some random footballer that came for like 5 million, you would have said he has had a decent/good season. Roman decided to put a 50 million price tag on his head, which honestly is not his fault if someone decides to hurl a big load of cash your way. Anyway Roman can afford it, so there's no point merely slamming Torres all the time.

you see i see this the complete opposite way

we signed claudio pizzarro (first name to come to mind, sure there much better examples) and he basically performed as well as torres has done but cos he's

- free

- not a huge name

- also think there is an element of support overcompensation (almost desperation) cos as fans we're embarrassed at being mugged once again...

the supporters say 'yeah he's not been doing it, not good enough, get rid'. no problem.

Well we can all call for Torres to be sold if we had Drogba, Anelka, Shevchenko again. When Drogba goes, and even if we can get a worldclass striker in, we still need Torres as we're short upfront, plus Roman likes him, so he's here to stay. And Pizarro only scored like 2 goals didn't he?

Not sure what Rolfe's point is by posting a picture of an older, worse player who has others that can play in the position? Like I said, Torres is all we've got, and even if we get someone else in, he still has to stay because 1) Roman loves him and 2) we can't possibly only have 1 striker. Yup.

This might be controversial, but surely it's lunacy (if the link on the previous page is correct) to offer Lampard even more money than he's currently getting on the contract extension? I can understand why we offer him a new contract unlike Essien or Malouda though.

My point is most of you are as prejudiced against Malouda as I am against Torres

Nope we aren't. He's extremely poor now but we recognise and acknowledge the good he has done in the past, many just feel it is time for him to go due to his age and other options we have. We give credit and stick where it is due. a quick look back at the game where Torres was fantastic against QPR and the best "praise" you gave is that we're in danger of breaking reality, whereas we have no trouble with saying Torres is crap when he is.

This might be controversial, but surely it's lunacy (if the link on the previous page is correct) to offer Lampard even more money than he's currently getting on the contract extension? I can understand why we offer him a new contract unlike Essien or Malouda though.

Maybe he had a clause of getting more money by winning CL :D

My point is most of you are as prejudiced against Malouda as I am against Torres but a) it appears he's here to stay as well and b) he's contributed far more to this club than Torres ever will.
Not really because whenever Malouda plays, he puts in 0 effort and looks/plays like he couldn't give a **** anymore tbh. Your point would be valid if everyone was prejudice against Malouda when he signed for the club and within his 1st year at the club

Oh come off it, Torres has been granted huge amounts of patience given that - by his price tag - he's been (so far) one of the all-time worst signings.

I'm not at Rolfe like levels of resignation, but find it unlikely he will ever be good enough to start for a title-winning team again, and would certainly take £20(ish) million for him. Really hope he proves me wrong thoug.

My point is most of you are as prejudiced against Malouda as I am against Torres but a) it appears he's here to stay as well and b) he's contributed far more to this club than Torres ever will.

I agree, Malouda is not that bad in puts in a decent shift when he plays, scores the odd goal and adds a different dimension to which the coach even said he considers Malouda a key part of his Euro 2012 plans

Oh come off it, Torres has been granted huge amounts of patience given that - by his price tag - he's been (so far) one of the all-time worst signings.

I'm not at Rolfe like levels of resignation, but find it unlikely he will ever be good enough to start for a title-winning team again, and would certainly take £20(ish) million for him. Really hope he proves me wrong thoug.

Who wouldn't? :D

Too much.

He's quite average, would be very, very pissed off if we got him. Hopefully we get Hazard or Lavezzi as a sign that we don't want him/won't be getting him

Hazard will go for the money, I'd imagine. Possibly makes City a more likely destination for him. Not sure if Lavezzi or Cavani will be allowed to leave Napoli this summer either, will they? Napoli are going onto bigger and better things now. They just won the cup for the first time in years and I think they've got the chance to build on something and surely the board/manager can see that, too.

Archived