Chelsea 2011/12 Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't Kalou leaving on a free?
Yet to announce that he's signed a new contract, as far as I know, but I expect him to sign a new deal.

On another note, do we have some sort of buy back clause or something similar to that with regards to Rajković? I recall hearing that we've still got rights to him.

I wonder if Anelka has been saying good things about the club (it is the same one isn't it) to him?

Hopefully no-one accuses him of just going for the money like everyone seems to do with players who move outside Euroe.

Gudjohnsen :cool:

One of my favourite players, would have loved seeing him up there.

Sad news about Drogba. Inevitable, but still sad. I do think it might be best for both him and us that he leaves like this. Utter legend of the club now, and nothing can take that away.

Just got back from Munich, WHAT A TRIP. Champions of Europe. Need to watch about 50 hours of coverage, reaction, highlights just for it all to sink in. Haven't looked yet but hope someone has upped that thread from AvB sacking and what a terrible decision it was :lol:

What matt said.

It's interesting how much Cech has improved at penalties - when he first joined us he seemed to just slowly collapse to one side, but now he's so dynamic. Any stats on his percentage saved over his seasons here?

Not sure of the stats, but I've noticed over the last two or three seasons that he comes off his line a lot more for penalties, which obviously helps as he has less distance to travel to get to the ball.

On another note I find the amount of vitriol John Terry has received for having the temerity to lift the trophy quite astounfing. For one thing he's club captain but we didn't win the CL from one game, we played 13, with Terry playing 12 (unless he missed one in the groups? Genk perhaps?) yes he made a stupid mistake in the 12th, but there's no way in hell we'd have got to the final without him. Yeah, maybe going up in the kit wasn't the classiest thing to do, but Rambo, Meireles and Ivanovic did as well they just seem to have conveniently forgotten so they can stick the knife into footballing enemy no. 1.

I know quite and obvious point to make, and something stupid to get wound up over but it's bloody annoying.

I don't care one little bit, I'm not gonna change people's minds but nobody can change the fact that we're CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE.
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

The question is where does Roman go from here,

He has achieved what he set out to do, but now the Chelsea backbone is old and needs replacing, which will be expensive. Somewhere in his inner circle someone is whispering enough.

And with financial fair play coming in it's not like he can just throw in more money to replace the likes of Terry, Cole, Lampard and Drogba all of whom have at best one more good season in them

So, if you could pick any player from the past to have been there with us in Munich and win the CL, who would it be?

Would have to be Ballack for me.

Dennis Wise for me, can't think of another former player I've seen that would have meant more to.

Not sure why getting the CL means Roman will quit. Clearly he has plans for a new stadium and to make Chelsea one of the best clubs in the world. It's fantastic that we've won the CL but obviously we have not near the prestige of Madrid, Barcelona, etc. It's the beginning of an even bigger era.

So, if you could pick any player from the past to have been there with us in Munich and win the CL, who would it be?

Would have to be Ballack for me.

Dennis Wise, Gus Poyet, Franco Zola, Joe Cole. Any of those.

I wonder if Anelka has been saying good things about the club (it is the same one isn't it) to him?

Hopefully no-one accuses him of just going for the money like everyone seems to do with players who move outside Euroe.

Why not? Takes nothing away from what he's done for us but you do know it's the truth if he does go to a club like that, right? Even he has said before he might go where the biggest paycheque is.

He has achieved what he set out to do, but now the Chelsea backbone is old and needs replacing, which will be expensive. Somewhere in his inner circle someone is whispering enough.

And with financial fair play coming in it's not like he can just throw in more money to replace the likes of Terry, Cole, Lampard and Drogba all of whom have at best one more good season in them

Didn't he say "this is just the beginning"? And there was a quote from one of the executives that we're not done because "there are many clubs with three or four stars on their shirts. we have only one."

I like Kagawa. Would cost less in wages too, but every club in the frame who is going for one are probably also going for the other "just in case". Happy that we did some work early and quietly to get Marin so even if we miss out on both it wouldn't be a disaster.

• Administrators

He's achieved what people have speculated he's out to do. He's never given a public interview, people have just assumed.

Keep trying to convince yourself though :thup:

my guess is he didnt just want to win cl he wanted to make us the best club so to do that we need:

1- to be financially self sustaining

2- get a better stadium

3- have a youth system that brings enough youth through so we dont HAVE TO BUY (obviously we will still need to buy some)

Thats what i think are the main points off the field on field would be to chase down man u and liverpool trophy cabinets which is still some way off. people say we have no history fact is unlike liverpool who are history we are creating it now

How about rdm playing himself

Archived