The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lions Player not happy with the referee. and the person reporting for final score on the BBC has said on numerous occasions that the referee ruined the game. he said that after the first sending off as well.

don't care now. can't fault the players at all. played their hearts out. it never rains it ****ing pours etc.

Lions Player not happy with the referee. and the person reporting for final score on the BBC has said on numerous occasions that the referee ruined the game. he said that after the first sending off as well.

don't care now. can't fault the players at all. played their hearts out. it never rains it ****ing pours etc.

First red was a definite sending off. Haven't heard about the second. You've had a few petty decisions go against you though and that riled your fans so....

But hey ho, I'll take it.

I'll wait until I've seen them before commenting, missed the first one anyway because I was out. Got back with about an hour gone...turned on Blues Player and first thing I heard was the sending off, I certainly got home at the right time :D

The Riverside sounds deserted now, they said it's nearly empty now on the Radio, apart from the 1'300 Burnley fans. About a minute of stoppage time left.

Another good away win, they were one of the best teams to beat us at Turf Moor... they looked a very strong outfit that day.

I never thought we would go up there and take a fine win.

7 wins out of 9 in the League now for Burnley. :thup:

The Jukebox is on the bench for Boro.

Interesting choice in goal, we were all expecting our former goal keeper Danny Coyne to be playing.

But it says Ripley on the team sheet, never heard of him.. but I just did a quick google search

'18 year old Connor Ripley plays as a goalkeper for Middlesbrough in the English football league Championship, he's the son of former player Stuart Ripley.'

I see that he's played for the England U'19's, is this his first start in a League game?

(Former B****rd Rovers player too :D)

If he has any nerves, they will show with Paterson closing him down at every chance he gets.

was his first start, he came on as sub once last season. at fault for the 2nd goal, let a long range shot go underneath him, though we should have closed it down better. it certainly looked like the burnley players had been told to shoot on sight.

we were abysmal today, but we never recovered from the two goals (the first was excellent btw, great corner routine, we didn't have a clue what was going on). 2nd half we didn't even remotely threaten and you were happy for us to have the ball, since we never looked like doing anything with it. our best chance was to Jukebox and that was thanks to your keeper.

I hope I'm not the only fan to see West Ham and think what a horrendous football team it is. Some real good quality players there and absolutely no interest in good football or even looking like scoring. Apart from Halford nearly putting in his own net, that was the only goal mouth action at all today. So sad seeing a team spend so much and return so little. I'd rather them than us though, we never looked like breaking them down and Norris flying into tackles and Kevin Friend not being our friend didn't help us. Infact "Friend" was abysmal.

Chop you just bitter at the fact we stole Adam Matthews and Joe Ledley for next to **** all off you .

Btw your board must be thick to let a talent like Adam Matthews walk away.

The lad will be in the prem with a big club in a year or two for a bumper fee.

shut up you clown :D they went for money and no ambition what so ever, playing in a tin pot league with the occasional game in europe every season. will look back on it regretting it at the end of their careers. sacrificing the chance to play in the prem for extra £££

You think Hooper is worth £3m now? Celtic signed him from Scunthorpe for £2.4m. He'd never leave if they only get a £600k profit.

if he was worth 2.4 and all he's done is score a few goals in a **** poor league my nan could score in then i dont think his price should rise by that much.

I hope I'm not the only fan to see West Ham and think what a horrendous football team it is. Some real good quality players there and absolutely no interest in good football or even looking like scoring. Apart from Halford nearly putting in his own net' date=' that was the only goal mouth action at all today. So sad seeing a team spend so much and return so little.[/quote']

This is one of the rare occasions I will agree with you. For all their good players, when they came to St Mary's all we saw from them is the typical Big Sam hoof to the striker time after time. To be fair to them, it is working as the league shows - but it really isn't pretty.

Appleton confirms Hermann Hreidarsson expected to complete move to Coventry over weekend. Permanent deal.

Gutted he's going, but just isn't good eniough anymore :(

Awesome bloke deserves better than to be sitting on the bench. Coventry will love him hopefully. Excellent character to have around the club..

Awesome

was his first start, he came on as sub once last season. at fault for the 2nd goal, let a long range shot go underneath him, though we should have closed it down better. it certainly looked like the burnley players had been told to shoot on sight.

we were abysmal today, but we never recovered from the two goals (the first was excellent btw, great corner routine, we didn't have a clue what was going on). 2nd half we didn't even remotely threaten and you were happy for us to have the ball, since we never looked like doing anything with it. our best chance was to Jukebox and that was thanks to your keeper.

They said on the radio it look's like Eddie Howe had give the players the message to shoot on sight, and test the young keeper.

Yeah they also mentioned something about the 2nd goal, I think I posted about it in the Soccer Saturday thread.

That with Trippier's reaction after he scored, he looked like he didn't expect it to go in either. The guy on the radio said 'maybe I'm being harsh on the young keeper, Trippier's hit it as clean as a whistle. But I'm not expecting that to find the corner. '

What was the corner like for our goal? Was it played across the box, somebody stepped over it, let it run and Rodriguez smashed it in?

We scored one like that against you last season at home when we beat you, I think 2 of our goals came from corners against you that night.

Sounds like we played really well in the first half on the radio, and nothing much in the 2nd half with Boro having the better of the play... like you said, Lee Grant worrying us yet again... trying to do a clever turn on the ball.. giving the Boro player an empty goal, but he hit it over according to the radio.

Great win but a a cost, Paterson injured again. :thdn:

He runs himself into the ground, no wonder he keeps getting injured. His hamstring apparently, could be out for 6 weeks. Shame that, because Pato has made a difference since coming back from injury. Apparently Stanislas has also done his hamstring in todays game.

Did they look bad injuries on the game?

This is one of the rare occasions I will agree with you. For all their good players, when they came to St Mary's all we saw from them is the typical Big Sam hoof to the striker time after time. To be fair to them, it is working - but it really isn't pretty.

Yeah, atleast with your team you have some nice football. Admittedly mostly from Lallana but they are just limping at the top, that'll get them nowhere next season.

Both apparently out for six weeks. The prospect of Keith Treacy starting on a regular basis until then fills me with dread.

Edit: In reply to Barker's post.

Oh dear, Treacy needs to lay of the booze and get rid of that beer belly.

Treacy wasn't in the team at all today.

I hope both Pato and Stanislas recover soon.

Frank Fielding with a world class save to potentially deny us 3 pts. **** off football.

Appleton confirms Hermann Hreidarsson expected to complete move to Coventry over weekend. Permanent deal.

Gutted he's going, but just isn't good eniough anymore :(

Yeah I saw something about this earlier. Have to say it's rather out the blue! I don't see how he addresses our chronic goal scoring problems at all or where he fits into the side. Hopefully he can provide that bit of leadership we need in a ridiculously young team though. I just hope this doesn't mean Hussey is a long term injury and we're looking for him to play LB as I can't see why else we would want him.

On the plus side we have an Icelander in the team again :cool:

I hope I'm not the only fan to see West Ham and think what a horrendous football team it is. Some real good quality players there and absolutely no interest in good football or even looking like scoring. Apart from Halford nearly putting in his own net' date=' that was the only goal mouth action at all today. So sad seeing a team spend so much and return so little. I'd rather them than us though, we never looked like breaking them down and Norris flying into tackles and Kevin Friend not being our friend didn't help us. Infact "Friend" was abysmal.[/quote']

Yeah West Ham really do seem to be a proper Fat Sam team. When we played them we ended up with David Bell marking Papa Bouba Diop from set pieces due to a serious mismatch in height and physicality.

They said on the radio it look's like Eddie Howe had give the players the message to shoot on sight, and test the young keeper.

Yeah they also mentioned something about the 2nd goal, I think I posted about it in the Soccer Saturday thread.

That with Trippier's reaction after he scored, he looked like he didn't expect it to go in either. The guy on the radio said 'maybe I'm being harsh on the young keeper, Trippier's hit it as clean as a whistle. But I'm not expecting that to find the corner. '

What was the corner like for our goal? Was it played across the box, somebody stepped over it, let it run and Rodriguez smashed it in?

We scored one like that against you last season at home when we beat you, I think 2 of our goals came from corners against you that night.

Sounds like we played really well in the first half on the radio, and nothing much in the 2nd half with Boro having the better of the play... like you said, Lee Grant worrying us yet again... trying to do a clever turn on the ball.. giving the Boro player an empty goal, but he hit it over according to the radio.

Great win but a a cost, Paterson injured again. :thdn:

He runs himself into the ground, no wonder he keeps getting injured. His hamstring apparently, could be out for 6 weeks. Shame that, because Pato has made a difference since coming back from injury. Apparently Stanislas has also done his hamstring in todays game.

Did they look bad injuries on the game?

It bounced in front of Ripley so was a bit awkward, but he should have saved it. Yeah, the corner was exactly that, we didn't know what hit us. Disappointing really if that's something you've done before against us, Mogga is usually meticulous with his preparations so I'd be surprised if he hadn't talked to the players about that.

You were definitely the better team 1st half, we were lucky to be 0-2, you missed a couple of other chances as well.

Didn't see what happened with Paterson, but Stanislas definitely looked like a hamstring he was running at our defence and suddenly pulled up holding the back of his leg.

Yeah I saw something about this earlier. Have to say it's rather out the blue! I don't see how he addresses our chronic goal scoring problems at all or where he fits into the side. Hopefully he can provide that bit of leadership we need in a ridiculously young team though. I just hope this doesn't mean Hussey is a long term injury and we're looking for him to play LB as I can't see why else we would want him.

Well we chucked him up front a few times, so you never know ;) But yeah he really is an awesome guy should hopefully increase the morale for you guys :thup:

What is he like at LB nowadays? Imagine he's ridiculously slow :D

We actually have good CB's so we don't need him to play there tbh. Our back 4 probably the one area of the team I'm happy with, we haven't conceded that many for a team bottom of the table and a lot of the goals we do concede are normally down to the midfielders.

It bounced in front of Ripley so was a bit awkward, but he should have saved it. Yeah, the corner was exactly that, we didn't know what hit us. Disappointing really if that's something you've done before against us, Mogga is usually meticulous with his preparations so I'd be surprised if he hadn't talked to the players about that.

You were definitely the better team 1st half, we were lucky to be 0-2, you missed a couple of other chances as well.

Didn't see what happened with Paterson, but Stanislas definitely looked like a hamstring he was running at our defence and suddenly pulled up holding the back of his leg.

Yeah it was against you.. I know we have scored a goal like that before against someone.

But I just double checked the match report from that game and it was against you... Rodriguez scoring that goal aswell.

I bet Eddie reminded the players and Rodriguez of that corner routine before the game. :p

It was a lovely goal when we scored it at the Turf against you, we didn't know that was coming... the Boro players looked confused as to what had just happened at the time then aswell.

The first half was packed full of fluent football, tenacious tackling and persistent pressing. It had been a long time since I had witnessed Burnley play such lovely stuff. Like most of the season, chances were being created - and plenty too - but not a finish in sight. Until the 22nd minute. After pressure on the edge of Middlesbrough's box, Chris Eagles forced a clever save from Paul Smith and Danny Fox stepped up to take the resulting corner ball. Fox, hitting the ball into the penalty area hard and low, seemed to have found Eagles. However, with an intelligent move and one I've been a witness to before, Chris Eagles drew the defence with a dummy leaving Jay Rodriguez to fire home his 14th goal of the campaign . After finally finding the finish the team were pushing for, the Burnley fans only had time to seat themselves.

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/rprt/mtch/keeping_the_dream_alive_670125/index.shtml

Was it the corner routine where you pull it back across the edge of the box for someone to fire in? Seen you attempt that against us several times and on telly as well, though your striker always seems to misfire and put it wide.

How Cardiff managed to hang on to a point I don't know. We wasted some great chances and kept their main players pretty quiet. Also it looks like Sharp is to stay with us unless a Premier League team comes in for him. It seems that he doesn't want to go to Leicester at present.

Archived