The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone will pay close to it. He's better than any of your players for a start, so I'd hate to think how you rate your squad.

Blackpool have apparently bid 650k or so. We won't be backing down too far. If he goes, we'll get a decent price.

Leon Cort has gone, recalled from his loan at Charlton, and they came to a mutual agreement to terminate his contract.

He still had 1 & year left on his contract.

Has to go down has a poor signing by Laws, £1.5 million for the 30 year old from Stoke. Just think what that money could have been used on.

No doubt, with him being signed when we were still in the Premier League, he was on big wages aswell.

just seen this on the leeds utd fans group on facebook

ignoring ken bates ridiculous comments, this is surely jason puncheon right southampton fans?

Ken Bates "The player who signed with us on deadline day by fax only to turn up at another club at 11pm and sign for them is fed up on the bench in the premier league and his club contacted me this week to see if we would like to now sign him , but i told them to stick there offer up there jumper he is not the kind of person we want at leeds united "

can't think of many others that it could be at our price range

just seen this on the leeds utd fans group on facebook

ignoring ken bates ridiculous comments, this is surely jason puncheon right southampton fans?

Ken Bates "The player who signed with us on deadline day by fax only to turn up at another club at 11pm and sign for them is fed up on the bench in the premier league and his club contacted me this week to see if we would like to now sign him , but i told them to stick there offer up there jumper he is not the kind of person we want at leeds united "

can't think of many others that it could be at our price range

I don't know, could be him. Just the way he says fed up on the bench in the Premier League makes it sound like he is still there.

Ipswich manager Paul Jewell criticised female assistant referee Amy Fearn after the 2-1 defeat at Birmingham.

Jewell was furious Ipswich were not awarded a penalty for Steven Caldwell's challenge on Lee Martin.

"To every man, but not a woman [it was a penalty]," he said when a journalist suggested "everyone to a man thought it was a penalty".

"Although the referee didn't have a good view, the lineswoman, or whatever she's called, had a great view."

Wow.. He's got to go surely, terrible manager. Ipswich just have a knack of getting a poor manager in, spend aload of money then they recycle the process.

Wow.. He's got to go surely' date=' terrible manager. Ipswich just have a knack of getting a poor manager in, spend aload of money then they recycle the process.[/quote']

He's an arse tbh. She did nothing wrong all game and it was the ref's fault the penalty wasn't given. The male linesman flagged King offside when he ran through to nick a back pass off them ffs, she were much better than him.

Haven't ever had any confidence in the referees at this level though tbf.

Hate Jewell, complete ****.

looks like we're definitely saying no to puncheon now. got some austrian winger from hull on trial, if he's a left winger he's worth a look for us. also fighting over the transfer fee for Haynes from Barnsley, they only bloody want 150k and we wont pay it FFS

Yeah seems likely. Southampton seem to have moved on to other targets/never wanted him in the first place. Just in time for him to score against us next week.

What is Nimley like Powlay? Didn't you have him on loan earlier in the season?

MLG - don't suppose Southampton are looking for a left-back? I'm possibly adding 2 and 2 together and getting more than 4 mind...

Highly doubt it tbh, we have 2 LB's in Fox and Harding who both have looked very capable this season, plus the youngster Luke Shaw who is reportedly attracting attention from the top teams.

Leeds can FO. £36 for a Tuesday night Champs game is pathetic.

welcome to our world

do you think it's coincidence that 1 of the biggest teams in the championship (on history and attendances) has one of the ******** average home attendances in a long time despite being at the right end of the table?

no offence but if leeds had £15 tickets we'd be on 33k or above home gates not 25k or below

we don't even have cheap areas for students and oaps ffs

MLG - don't suppose Southampton are looking for a left-back? I'm possibly adding 2 and 2 together and getting more than 4 mind...

I doubt it, left back is the one position where the club have the most depth. They signed Danny Fox in August, have Dan Harding as backup and have loaned out Ryan Dickson. Also have a very highly rated 16 year old left back Luke Shaw coming through who is being linked in the press with Man City and Arsenal.

Why what were you thinking?

• Administrators

Van Aanholt was keen to speak to Jack Cork about something yesterday and the two aren't particularly social on Twitter (rarely at Chelsea together, understandable). My ambitious leap is that he's off to the Championship on loan and wanted to ask Cork's opinion about an interested club. Could be Burnley I guess.

As I say though, that's my weird head at work.

looks like we're definitely saying no to puncheon now.

I think this is the first media report (rather than forum rumour) I've seen of Blackpool's Matthew Phillips linked to Southampton. I guess Adkins/Cortese may try to make Puncheon part of any Phillips deal if it is true.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/7425350/

Van Aanholt was keen to speak to Jack Cork about something yesterday and the two aren't particularly social on Twitter (rarely at Chelsea together, understandable). My ambitious leap is that he's off to the Championship on loan and wanted to ask Cork's opinion about an interested club. Could be Burnley I guess.

As I say though, that's my weird head at work.

We could really do with a left back, since selling Fox.

Easton is not the greatest left back at this level, and with no other left back, apart from Mee who's played their a couple of times... it could be us.

L

welcome to our world

do you think it's coincidence that 1 of the biggest teams in the championship (on history and attendances) has one of the ******** average home attendances in a long time despite being at the right end of the table?

no offence but if leeds had £15 tickets we'd be on 33k or above home gates not 25k or below

we don't even have cheap areas for students and oaps ffs

No offence taken pal, you're right. I offerered to take my best mate who lives in Leeds to her first football game and thought I'd pay for the both of us... Add on top of that the £40 return for the train, I'm now looking at £120 just for that game. Takes the ****ing ****.

Just gonna take her to Barnsley instead.

I didn't really rate van Aanholt when he was here, looks good going forward, but was dreadful defensively and we lost so many goals down the left-hand side when he was here. Mee looked a much better left-back when he played there a couple of times for us too.

L

No offence taken pal, you're right. I offerered to take my best mate who lives in Leeds to her first football game and thought I'd pay for the both of us... Add on top of that the £40 return for the train, I'm now looking at £120 just for that game. Takes the ****ing ****.

Just gonna take her to Barnsley instead.

Don't blame you, loads of people I know decided to miss the Leeds game the other week due to the ticket price.

I refuse to pay £36, no doubt it will be increased again next season by Mr Bates.. I feel sorry for the Leeds fans.

On a brighter note, already got our Nottm Forest tickets though, £10 is more like it. :D

A Tuesday night, but at that price it would be rude not to, 5 of us going so far, a couple more are trying to get the afternoon off work.

Go pay Stevie Cotterill's new team a visit. ;)

I didn't really rate van Aanholt when he was here, looks good going forward, but was dreadful defensively and we lost so many goals down the left-hand side when he was here. Mee looked a much better left-back when he played there a couple of times for us too.

Ah, on that note I hope it's not us then. :D

Mee has done ok for us at left back, more solid than Easton.. but he does look out of his comfort zone at left back at times. You can tell he'd rather play at centre back.

I thought Mee looked pretty good at left-back, though he was definitely better as a centre-back. It's a shame Mee and Vitor got so little game time together, that would have been a great partnership.

Vitor was so underrated while he was here, he was class and is breaking into the Benfica side now, wouldn't surprise me if he ended up playing for Portugal. Still find it hard to believe he was a Paulo Sousa signing.

Ah, on that note I hope it's not us then. :D

Mee has done ok for us at left back, more solid than Easton.. but he does look out of his comfort zone at left back at times. You can tell he'd rather play at centre back.

Would definitely like to see us bringing a left back in this transfer window, whether on loan or permanent. I was fine with Easton as back up to Danny Fox, but he just doesn't cut it as a first choice full back in the championship. A back four of Trippier, two of Edgar, Duff or Mee and then a new left back would look much better. Hopefully getting Leon Cort off the wage bill will free up some money. As much as I love the man, I'd also hope that we find a way to ship Amougou out as well. He's obviously not part of Eddie's plans and I expect he's picking up a pretty hefty wage for doing next to nothing.

What happened to him?

I really liked him. We've moved on now but didn't he end up on loan at Colchester? Obviously didn't work out so well..surprising as I thought with a bit of work he'd be pretty good at that level at the least.

Edit: 4 goals in 15 for Colchester accordring to Wiki. Did pretty well then. Surely someone will have him? You have no interest in keeping incase Kebe goes?

You've given Jukebox pretty much a 5 year deal? :eek: Reports in these parts suggest the fee was in the region of £2 million but the fee you're suggesting makes much more sense given our situation. Massively under selling Turner and Jukebox ftl :(

God knows who'll be starting up front tomorrow for us. Our list of strikers available currently is a partially fit O'Donovan and Nimley who's only just joined. Jukebox had played almost every minute of every league game so far this season. :( Least I no longer have to worry about us burning him out though.

None of the Southampton fans were. :D Get the impression that the link was just because he was from Southampton and a boyhood fan and was nothing concrete at all.

Gary McSheffrey now our top scorer with 3 goals. In fact our entire squad has 11 league goals between them without Jukebox. Whichever way you look at it we're done for now.

Yeah but who does he play alongside? We've just sold our striker with some physical presence. Got to see a first taste of life without Jukebox in the FA Cup last week against the Saints reserves and it's just really hard for us to keep the ball with such light weights up front.

Archived