The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

Pretty much :D Still a decent player though, and great to watch! Probably in my top 5 Pompey players.

Well he's not replacing Keogh or Cranie at CB. Unless this means we're selling Keogh or Cranie :(

Keogh especially has been fantastic this season and is easily my favourite player, still not missed a single minute of a league game since joining in the 10-11 pre season. Which for a CB who loves to get stuck in is pretty impressive :D

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was it the corner routine where you pull it back across the edge of the box for someone to fire in? Seen you attempt that against us several times and on telly as well, though your striker always seems to misfire and put it wide.

Yeah, we've tried it alot under Eddie Howe. I think the first time it came off was against Middlesbrough.

In the past when we had Fox, somebody stood right next to Fox, Fox passed the ball to the player, he then passed it straight back to Fox who whipped it in low and hard.. somebody steps over the ball and lets it run, and Rodriguez smashes it as hard has he can.

Since we sold Fox, either Wallace or Stanislas attempts the ball across the box. We also have a few other 'unusual' corner routines, that have been successful against Forest and Blackpool I think.

Eddie Howe puts alot of work into the corner routines.

Yeah, we've tried it alot under Eddie Howe. I think the first time it came off was against Middlesbrough.

In the past when we had Fox, somebody stood right next to Fox, Fox passed the ball to the player, he then passed it straight back to Fox who whipped it in low and hard.. somebody steps over the ball and lets it run, and Rodriguez smashes it as hard has he can.

Since we sold Fox, either Fox or Stanislas attempts the ball across the box.

Yeah that's exactly the routine I was thinking of! Fooled us every time but you never actually hit the target with the shot :D

Great point at Palace. We just can't score goals. We also need a creative midfielder. Robert Koren's contract is up at the end of the season. Bring him in.

leeds can't score goals?! you don't even know what "CAN'T SCORE GOALS" means... i haven't seen forest score in 10 and a half hours now

leeds can't score goals?! you don't even know what "CAN'T SCORE GOALS" means... i haven't seen forest score in 10 and a half hours now

Least you aren't the lowest scores in the league and who have just sold HALF their goals.

:D

It looks good when we pull it off.

You really should score from it more! Every time it dropped to your striker at the backpost it seemed he had to score and never did :D

I swear we only do the one corner routine, hardly surprising we rarely score from them. Wood start at front post wheel back round the box to the back post where the ball has been hung up for him to win the header and hit the bar/have it cleared off the line/head it into the keepers arms/head it wide. We do it EVERY SINGLE time fgs :D

Well and truly bossed that game against Forest. Lallana, Cork, Hammond and Morgan (Scoring ffs :D) dominated.

The red card is debatable. Can see why he's sent off but it's a little harsh.

Winning away ftw!!

Lallana and Cork impressed greatly for me, although, what the hell happened with the open goal miss in the last minute??

Thought Camp had a good game despite conceding 3 goals, and judging by the texts I got shortly after the incident, the sending off was a bit harsh.

Yet another game where we are dreadful and Kasper is the only thing stopping us from getting hammered. :thdn:

This side is as bad as the Levein era, the only difference is we were skint back then, so it was understandable, whereas now we've spent millions to assemble utter mediocrity.

I actually started clapping, very rare I do that for an opposition goal. stopped myself quickly though.

Must have been a good one then. :D

You really should score from it more! Every time it dropped to your striker at the backpost it seemed he had to score and never did :D

I swear we only do the one corner routine, hardly surprising we rarely score from them. Wood start at front post wheel back round the box to the back post where the ball has been hung up for him to win the header and hit the bar/have it cleared off the line/head it into the keepers arms/head it wide. We do it EVERY SINGLE time fgs :D

:D Under Owen Coyle we rarely scored from corners, I know in our Premier League season we went all season without scoring a single goal from a corner.

There was actually chants in the end, everytime we got a corner 'score from corner, we're gonna score from a corner, score from a corner'

We scored the odd ones under Laws last season in the Championship, but like you, the corners were always the same, aimed towards the centre where either Bikey/Amougou or Iwelumo headed them in.

Since Howe as come in, we have much more variety/invention to our corners.

Can we expect a massive smug response of from the Pompey fans? After all they did predict exactly this :D

yes, i seem to remember them saying every game he just hopes we'll snatch a goal somewhere. that's what it looks like. we are DIRE.

SC teams never do score many goals, but normally they don't concede many either.

I've said it a few times in this thread before, the style of Football under him at Burnley was like watching paint dry.

He'd rather kill the game, take a point or hope to nick the win. The main aim under SC is just to kill the game, and not get beat.

Don't ever expect to see regular entertaining free flowing football under Cotterill, I didn't think he would take you down, and I still think he will keep you up.

But with most other clubs, he's come in at the start of the season, and had the chance to bring in his own players.

tbf at first' date=' it was funny but I genuinely feel sorry for Forest fans. I thought he'd be defensive, but not this defensive :([/quote']

i am seriously beginning to think cotterill was appointed as a favour for a mate by frank clark. everything about his appointment is baffling.

we are an omni-shambles.

he doesn't push any players to attack. he plays with two static defensive midfielders. every ball goes back to lee camp to hoof. we barely ever create chances and it has been getting worse and worse and worse...

But with most other clubs, he's come in at the start of the season, and had the chance to bring in his own players.

We'll probably see a little bit of dealing, but the fact we have no budget will mean we'll have to see either loans or frees..

baffling things to do with his appointment:

THREE AND A HALF YEARS?! if we're skint why do we get him in for three and a half years?

he was failing at portsmouth and we decided to appoint him WHY?

if we're going to give him three and a half years wtf are we doing not letting him bring his own staff in?

:confused:

and i'm sick of us not scoring. i'm bloody sick of it.

portsmouth and burnley fans - what did he do with throw ins at your place? our throw ins are completely completely inept.

Haven't you got a pretty big squad from which you sell a few players to raise funds for any signings?

Not really. We've got about a dozen strikers, so expect the likes of Matt Derbyshire and Ishmael Miller to be sold to raise money.

baffling things to do with his appointment:

THREE AND A HALF YEARS?! if we're skint why do we get him in for three and a half years?

he was failing at portsmouth and we decided to appoint him WHY?

if we're going to give him three and a half years wtf are we doing not letting him bring his own staff in?

:confused:

and i'm sick of us not scoring. i'm bloody sick of it.

portsmouth and burnley fans - what did he do with throw ins at your place? our throw ins are completely completely inept.

From a Forest point of view, the most interesting thing he did all game was threaten to chin Nigel Adkins.

Halford has a good long throw, but instead of getting players to run onto the ball as it comes in we had Kitson just stand on a spot and hope we miraculously get a flick on.

The first day on the job, he lined everyone up and said "Right Lads I want you to throw it as far as you can."

Then he gets his guy who can throw (Halford) and then has ONE person stand in the box, and hope to get it on his head.. Nobody anywhere near this guy, nobody attacking the ball just one guy stood there.. :D

Horrendous, we scored a couple tbf, but generally not because they worked well, because we got a lucky flick.

Yeah I think I just got confused by the amount of strikers you have. I mean do you really need all of McGoldrick, Harewood, Tudgay, Derbyshire, Miller, Blackstock and Findley?

we have more strikers than defenders.

the thing that confused and annoyed me the most about today was the fact that in the last two games, we've played a 4-2-3-1, looked decent, created plenty of chances and scored 3 goals ( ok they were all against ipswich, but still :D ) and only conceded the 1 goal, McGugan was being played in his best position and reid has played well, so despite all that, he goes back to a 4-4-2, puts lewis back on the left wing and drops reidy completely

I think sticking with only 3 strikers might be pushing it a bit.

I'd bring Bamford in from the academy, as well as Jack Blake. Both are cracking footballers, and although pitching them into a relegation battle is a bit harsh, they'd fit in well.

Archived