The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

yeah, will be interesting to see it, but they said he just jumped in to him elbow first, but then again the ref sounded dire all game ( AGAIN :mad: ) think in the last 5 games, the ref has been appalling.

On the positive side, it means we at least have another mid-week game to look forward to.

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
also leicester fans, what happened to schlupp? the commentary made it seem like an innocuous challenge but greening seemed concerned about the player and schlupp had to be stretchered off :/

It was his left knee. Hopefully it's not a bad one, especially for such a promising young player, but the way they described it reminded me an awful lot of a very similar incident with Aleksander Tunchev in the same round of the FA Cup 3 years ago and he's only just coming back to full fitness now, 3 years later. :(

NP said it looks quite bad but they won't know until he has a scan tomorrow. :(

matt mills should have gone. it was right in front of me and a complete horror show. a mate who is a not a forest fan was at the game and agreed (he wasn't sat with me and texted me without me having texted him)

that said leicester bossed the game and i can't believe they didn't win. oh actually, i can, jermaine beckford. he is a waste of space.

matt mills should have gone. it was right in front of me and a complete horror show. a mate who is a not a forest was at the game and agreed (he wasn't sat with me and texted me without me having texted him)

that said leicester bossed the game and i can't believe they didn't win. oh actually, i can, jermaine beckford. he is a waste of space.

Don't let EM hear you say that :D

I wouldn't take anything for granted with Sharp.. he was supposed to have signed for Doncaster.. but then came to Burnley for talks whilst still at Sheff Utd.

Then it was said that he was 99% certain to sign for us... he then signed for Doncaster. :D

Although, Doncaster fans kept saying at the time, that Sharp had just bought a new house in Yorkshire and wanted to stay closer to home with his partner and start a family in his new house, so he would be going nowhere but Doncaster.. but he still came to Burnley afterwards for talks, and was said to have been requesting a 'big' offer to change his mind.

Haa you won't get a big offer from us, we appointed Brian Laws because he was cheap and free at the time. :D

We were also so willing to sell Danny Fox mainly because of his wages, and to get him off our wage bill.

i wouldn't say he was lazy exactly, he's horrifically out of form and has a propensity to give away fouls by clinging onto defenders too much.

Beckford is absolutely is lazy as hell, but it's not that about him that I find so frustrating, it's that he's also the most indivdualistic player I have ever seen in my life. He doesn't seem to have any sense of team play whatsoever, only plays for himself.

Every time he gets the ball he just gets his head down and runs, if there's an option of a clear pass feeding one of his team mates through or an option of him trying to beat 5 men and then to score, he'll always pick the latter. Honestly, I've never seen a professional player like him, he plays the game like an 8 year old. If it were in Primary school he'd have chants of "ball hogger, ball hogger" aimed at him too.

Saying he's a waste of space is kind. He's not just a waste of space, he actually has a large negative influence on our attacking play, because every time he gets the ball he doesn't care about his team keeping it, he only runs with it and inevitably gets tackled and gives the ball away. We look so much better when he's not playing and the statistics of when he is playing and when he isn't are ridiculous (I posted them a couple of pages back).

He's been a worse signing for us than Akinbiyi so far, at least Akinbiyi actually tried.

Really?

He was utterly terrible fgs :lol:

His confidence is probably shot to pieces because of the Blackpool game. He's played in all our cup games under Adkins I think so that's why he played and more often than not he's been good. To the point that before the Blackpool game people wanted him to be our No 1.

Called Beckford being a horrific signing when it happened. Just really hoping we don't go for him.

We clearly don't want Sharp either. Loads of rumours about us being his first choice but we've made it pretty clear through local media we don't want him. Hopefully this Japanese lad won't be our only signing in the striker department.

Fair enough, but I hope we don't do the same as I don't know why we'd want to build our team around such a poor all round player. Can't head the ball, can't tackle, dreadful first touch, doesn't work, doesn't pass and most of all dreadful attitude. His arrogance and now infamous line in his first interview here: "weak people feel pressure" have only piled on the pressure, which apparently he doesn't feel, even more. I do honestly think it's a lot more than just a loss of confidence, I'm happy to be proven wrong and I hope he does come good, but I honestly think he's just a League One standard player, simple as that. It just mirrors so much Akinbiyi's stint here in the Prem when he just looked so far out of his depth, just a division lower, that it makes me think it's more than just a lack of confidence or whatever.

are you talking about beckford? the biggest bottle job in league one circa 2008/9/10...
TBF we've always struggled in playoffs.

But he was a big game player. Bristol Rovers, Spurs, Man U. That's all I can think of from the top of my head. Just because he didn't do much against Millwall, doesn't mean he wasn't a big game player.

**** off for what? Fairly trying to bid for a player? How many times have you heard chairmen/managers say something similar to that before to try and make out to their own fans they've done everything they could to keep the player and then end up selling the player anyway?

The way the Hull chairman keeps coming out and saying this publically rather than privately just smacks of bitterness with regards to NP tbh. Earlier in the week he said "If there is one club on Earth we wouldn't do business with it would probably be Leicester ."

Someone's riled.

You recently bought him for £300k. He's made 14 league appearances since then. A £1mil bid doesn't seem ridiculous to me.

I don't see any mind games, a player's value doesn't go up that much in 14 appearances. Just seems like a team trying to bid for a player to me. Adam Pearson doing these silly thinly-veiled anti-NP slurs in public is pretty embarrassing for a club chairman tbh.

You recently bought him for £300k. He's made 14 league appearances since then. A £1mil bid doesn't seem ridiculous to me.

Just seems like a team trying to bid for a player to me. Adam Pearson doing these silly thinly-veiled anti-NP slurs in public is pretty embarrassing for a club chairman tbh.

Forgetting his loan spell prior to buying him there? He's made 14 appearances since then due to his knee injury, and he's changed games since he's come back. The club made it well known we wouldn't be selling anyone cheap, especially not a player who's so important to the team. NP will also know how good he is, how important he is to the team, so yes, £1mill is ridiculous.

And if you honestly think it's just a team bidding for a player, you're being naive towards NP, you of all people should know his games.

AP is quite evidently frustrated at the situation, but he's entitled to his opinion. Since he's been at the club, he's been the height of professional and someone who would be an asset behind the scenes at any club.

Forgetting his loan spell prior to buying him there?

Not at all, because that was, as you say, before you spent that money on him and has nothing to do with adding to the value since you've bought him.

He's made 14 appearances since then due to his knee injury, and he's changed games since he's come back. The club made it well known we wouldn't be selling anyone cheap, especially not a player who's so important to the team. NP will also know how good he is, how important he is to the team, so yes, £1mill is ridiculous.

What does the fact he missed so many games out through knee injury have to do with anything? If anything a lengthy injury would detract from a player's value.

And what does what your chairman says have to do with anything? Just because he says he doesn't want to sell cheap, doesn't make it a ridiculously small bid.

14 games is form, it doesn't make paying 2 1/2 times the price he was worth 14 games a go ridiculous (if anything it's ridiculously overpaying, not underpaying).

And if you honestly think it's just a team bidding for a player, you're being naive towards NP, you of all people should know his games.

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about. I have never known NP ever playing any "games" with regards to transfers.

AP is quite evidently frustrated at the situation, but he's entitled to his opinion. Since he's been at the club, he's been the height of professional and someone who would be an asset behind the scenes at any club.

The fact he's been the height of professional just makes it sound even more like bitterness. If he simply just frustrated at the situation, he'd be so in private. Coming out and saying all these thinly veiled slurs in public is quite clearly bitterness towards NP tbh. No way would he come out and say such things if it were say, West Ham, bidding for one your players.

This is the most pointless argument ever though, so I'm not going to keep replying, but there's no way we're playing mind games in our bidding, £1mil is a perfectly reasonable bid for a player who was worth £300k 14 games ago.

Not at all, because that was, as you say, before you spent that money on him and has nothing to do with adding to the value since you've bought him.

Will just reply to this bit as you aren't replying anymore. But of course it does, it adds to the value we have for him.

The value you have for him does not mean it's a ridiculous bid or that we are playing mind games though.

We bid £6mil for Nicky Maynard in the summer, but Bristol City didn't think it was good enough to meet their valuation. It certainly wasn't a ridiculously small bid or playing mind games though.

The value you have for him does not mean it's a ridiculous bid or that we are playing mind games though.

We bid £6mil for Nicky Maynard in the summer, but Bristol City didn't think it was good enough to meet their valuation. It certainly wasn't a ridiculously small bid or playing mind games though.

Surely, you can see how this is a different situation?

In terms of the situation with NP, sure. But in terms of the valuation, not really. I can bet if it was another team bidding, they'd have bid a similar amount and it wouldn't have been written off as mind games or ridiculous. Whatever you or your chairman think about his valuation, teams aren't going to suddenly start bidding £2-3mil for a player who was bought for one-tenth of that and has only played 14 games since then, even if you incredibly underpaid for him, you've still set the benchmark for where other clubs would bid.

i think once a player has been bought his valuation could rise, perhaps tenfold, quite easily. surely he still has a long contract at hull city and if he were bought towards the end of a contract at another club then his value could shoot up dramatically, especially if he is highly prized by the buying club.

i agree that another team bidding may have had less of a rebuffal, but im sure with leicester it's also the case that teams are out to get as much as they possibly can. i'd be disappointed if forest didn't do it if you were in for one of our players.

Archived