So, it's the second week of March...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the big mistake that SI did was the announce that would be 3 patches.

If they say... "there will be 2 patches and one database uptade in february" the large majority of people that are saying that the game is broken would said that.

This happens every year! Untill the last patch is release...."the game is broken"... after that everybodys plays the game! Then the next version is release... and again the "usual suspects" comes to the forum saying that the game is broken...

The game is great! Could be better? Of course it could! Will be better with patch 11.3? Of course! Will be perfect? No! But then again, it will never be! :D

I would therefore suggest that the patch and data update will likely be released next week (week of 8th March)

I'm still hopeful for next week, but it's more likely to be towards the end of the week.

unless its the end of the week, why are people complaining? :D

ok i am sorry if that is not what you ment, out of interest what do you you mean the transfers are easy?

Well in theory the transfer update should be ready no later than a week after the window closes. It should be updated on a daily basis adding the previous days transfers. Add another week at the end to include any late deals and get the files back from researchers. People in the editors forum have updated databases out the day after the window closes. Look at Metal_Guitarists update. He's one bloke on his own and managed to do a normal update AND a update which included future transfers. Im sure a team of people at SI could have the transfers done in a similar time scale.

They're not obliged to bring a patch out are they?

The bugs are very annoying, but it's still playable.

I think most problems are created when we mess about with the editor or install XML files from the forums.

Could be wrong though..

First, I'd have to disagree with those who think that this thread is a waste of time.

However, I've loved the Football Manager (nee Champ Man) games for years now, and I think SI do a really good job of customer service.

There's been one year (about 3 or 4 years ago I think) when I thought they brought the game out prematurely, and it was, to use the commonly used word, 'unplayable', but since then they seem to have good policies in place for

a) finding the balance between releasing the game too early and never releasing it at all

b) informing their customers what's going on. They have a solid schedule and strategy in place for when they will release patches, with 3 stages, quick fix, detailed fix and final fix. I suppose this third patch must be the most nerve wracking.

I've played the game - a lot, and in my personal experience haven't encountered one single major problem with it from the launch date. However I know there are serious problems, not least the crashing issue, and I've been backing up my game like a mad man. I realise that others have major problems, because of the leagues / teams they play, or perhaps just bad luck. I'm just stating that my personal and extensive experience of this year's game has been great.

Could or should SI do better? Well, I suppose I don't know, but it's my opinion that they do better than their competitors, and I'm not sure what other standard you can hold them to.

In summary; thank you SI.

The actual game changes and bug fixing requires coding which is difficult and strenous involving much trial and error. But making the transfers from January is fairly simple and could even be done using the data editor

The actual game changes and bug fixing requires coding which is difficult and strenous involving much trial and error. But making the transfers from January is fairly simple and could even be done using the data editor

And ?? The new data still got to be tested with the new fixes to make sure theres no new bugs, The knock on effects from adding new things or fixing older bugs can be massive

SI dont use the same editor as us but the time scale shouldnt really change. It should be quicker if anything. Each researcher updates their own clubs. So its not like one person has to deal with thousands of transfers. Just ones for your club. Then all these files get sent back to SI and compiled into one big database. So depending on how long the merging process takes (I imagine not very long), the datebase update should be ready about a week after the window closes. Even mid Feb just to be nice :p

but their data update has more than transfers, alot more, it has to be tested with the game to make sure it all still works together. Plus there are transfer updates in the editors forum for those who dont want to wait.

What i have heard from inside source via friend that after they fixed that "crash bug" it has caused lot more serious problems with the patch. The reason why SI say patch coming out maybe next week and constantly delaying it by one week is just because they don't want any more anger in forums than it is now. Same source says the most likely release for patch would be maybe at end of March if all goes well. So it looks like that patch will be a real bug fix patch which fixes bugs of bugs. I only wonder what this will do to game source code and for next years game.

Can Miles or and SI team comment on this?

Let's stop trying to wind each other up please, or the big red button will get pressed.

Can you not just close the thread Kriss lol, theres no point in it, and SI arent obligated to release any patches, so these threads are ridiculously pointless!

This forum is designed to help and advise people, not bitch about something the company arent oblidged to do haha

but their data update has more than transfers, alot more, it has to be tested with the game to make sure it all still works together. Plus there are transfer updates in the editors forum for those who dont want to wait.

Kind of a newbie question... but what more than transfer update has the database update?

Can you not just close the thread Kriss lol, theres no point in it, and SI arent obligated to release any patches, so these threads are ridiculously pointless!

This forum is designed to help and advise people, not bitch about something the company arent oblidged to do haha

SI are obliged to release patches as it was outlined in their patch strategy. So you're wrong!

I'm honestly not to bothered about the bugs, I just wish SI would release the official patch for transfers and any player data when the window closes, then perhaps patch bugs up later, it doesn't feel right playing with the unofficial ones! I don't see why they don't do that to be fair, at least I could start a new game then when these bugs are patched I won't need to start again.

The blogs said final patch in feb or march. I won't start bitching til April 1st cos then they've failed to deliver what they promised. Of course I don't expect many to share this particularly reasonable stance.

Even though i'm desperate for the new patch to come out i'm not bothered how long they take as long as it fixes all the problems, and there are alot to fix, its really annoying me that i only get offered the valuation of my players even though loads of teams want them but when i buy a player clubs demand huge transfer fee's much more than there valuation's.

Just release the data update, then release the patch (code) when it's ready...

That would get rid of a lot of moaners (myself included).

I can't understand why they need to bundle up the update with the patch.

It's fine if the patch comes out soon after the transfer window, but it's getting a bit pathetic to wait a month for a data update.

If SI don't understand their market cares about data update, then someone isn't doing their job properly.

If their current code (without patch) cannot handle official data update, then a group of people isn't doing their job properly.

I cannot understand why SI is withholding data that they must have finished weeks ago.

Can Miles or and SI team comment on this?

I don't mind people letting off steam even if they're totally misguided in their assumptions, as long as it stays at discussion and not combat.

Think yourself lucky, you have a choice about reading the thread or not:D

Kind of a newbie question... but what more than transfer update has the database update?

They update basically anything that has happened in the past 6 months, including all contracts, financial changes to any club or league, staff updates, any errors made in the database that have been pointed out, and they update any player profiles that are deemed necessary, which includes changing attributes and or PA, now the transfers themselves may not need to be tested but changing profiles and PA levels do as they can have a huge knock on effect to the game.

SI are obliged to release patches as it was outlined in their patch strategy. So you're wrong!

They stated at the very first start of this new game, that they arent oblidged to release it, so you're wrong my friend :) They do it for people like us who love playing the game, id be willing to guarantee in there official mandate, it doesnt mention they are oblidged to release patches.

I don't mind people letting off steam even if they're totally misguided in their assumptions, as long as it stays at discussion and not combat.

Think yourself lucky, you have a choice about reading the thread or not:D

Lol haha fair play mate! I think i might stick to GPTG where threads seem to be helpful, especially mine :p

Olympique Lyonnais

Feel free to join folks, now or when the patch is out!

• SI Staff
Hey whichever mod moved my post about a new development cycle to this terrible thread, thanks for nothing.

Was going to reply to that then couldn't find it, but licensing would put a stop to what you proposed for a start.

They stated at the very first start of this new game, that they arent oblidged to release it, so you're wrong my friend :) They do it for people like us who love playing the game, id be willing to guarantee in there official mandate, it doesnt mention they are oblidged to release patches.

While not having re-read the official blurb, if what you say is true then fair enough. But to release a patching strategy and not deliver on it is pretty much the same thing. So pretty much however worded they are committed to releasing them.

Let's face it though, if this game wasn't patched, they wouldn't sell any copies next time around.

If you buy a car, and the brakes are dodgy and the car gets recalled you can live with that as the problem has been fixed.

If you sell a product and don't fix it if it's wrong, you won't sell many more products.

Fact is, this game makes a fortune for SI and it isn't like they have a load of other titles. This game is #1 in the charts and they are right to continue patching the game to appease us.

They update basically anything that has happened in the past 6 months, including all contracts, financial changes to any club or league, staff updates, any errors made in the database that have been pointed out, and they update any player profiles that are deemed necessary, which includes changing attributes and or PA, now the transfers themselves may not need to be tested but changing profiles and PA levels do as they can have a huge knock on effect to the game.

I understand what you mean by this to a certain extent but I dont see why its so important. The patches are save game compatible anyway. So they can release the data update to be used with the 11.2 ME. If there are any glaring errors, like Gareth Bales new attributes turning him into some kind of superstar that scores 6 goals a game then fair enough. But I dont think changing a few attributes here and there will massively change things. And if it does, boo hoo. You can just go back to your original save on 11.2 and carry on until the patch is released. Then you can continue your new save using the 11.3 data and the updated ME.

It also makes you wonder, if all these changes have such a big effect in relation to the ME, why do people that start a save with the original database (which has been tested and configured with the original ME) but then have absolutely no problems whatsoever still using that database with the updated and tweaked .3 ME? Ok their Jose Mouinho tactic may not work the same but only slight tweaks need to be made. Just look at Mr Hough's tactics. Starts off with one for the original database and then just tweaks as and when patches are released because of the new ME.

While not having re-read the official blurb, if what you say is true then fair enough. But to release a patching strategy and not deliver on it is pretty much the same thing. So pretty much however worded they are committed to releasing them.

They will deliver on it though mate, its like any company, timescales change as problems occur.

For example i work in hospitality right, and youve booked a table with me for 7.30, and i know we run a busy shop, so i always advise my customers that in the case of the restaurant being busy, to order a round of drinks and take a seat in our bar area, because all of a sudden things could go wrong in the kitchen, or i could have a rush coming in the door, and no tables left, and as much as i could plan ahead for it, sometimes theres going to be a delay and people have to accept it.

Not so sure if thats the best example, but its all i could be bothered thinking of atm haha

There's too much throwing toys out of the pram and not enough rational thinking going on in this thread, it's annoying that gamers have transcended into spoilt whiners who demand perfection and can't overlook the odd problem without condemning the entire game (including all that's good about it) as well as the company who makes it. It's incredible to think that 20-30 years ago we'd be paying £40 for (literally) broken Nintendo games that had an hours worth of content, or was impossible to finish and had 0 patches, but people were still happy and we all enjoyed video games. You really need to show some perspective and try to appreciate what you

They will deliver on it though mate, its like any company, timescales change as problems occur.

For example i work in hospitality right, and youve booked a table with me for 7.30, and i know we run a busy shop, so i always advise my customers that in the case of the restaurant being busy, to order a round of drinks and take a seat in our bar area, because all of a sudden things could go wrong in the kitchen, or i could have a rush coming in the door, and no tables left, and as much as i could plan ahead for it, sometimes theres going to be a delay and people have to accept it.

Not so sure if thats the best example, but its all i could be bothered thinking of atm haha

I've got no issues with release date, was just responding to your initial comment.

Not sure I agree it would have a huge knock on effect to the game.

Any software, especially one that has gone through multiple iteration, should be able to handle valid (according to schema) data.

As the official updates can only contain valid data, I would be very surprised if the code can't handle the new updates without a patch - if this is true, someone is REALLY not doing their job with boundary checks.

The fact that SI provides an editor implies they are confident enough about their framework that you can put any valid in there and the game will handle it.

As such, there should be no reason why the update cannot be released without rigorous testing.

In fact, I'm not sure SI can or will specific test data updates - how do you single out a particular data update to test?

I agree with this, but I still love the game. I think that any bugs should really be worked on in the time period between the game's release and the beginning of the January window. Then if a few people at SI are designated with transfers, they can alter the database as the transfers go through in real life. Any attribute adjustments could be made as the season goes on too. It feels as if everything is left until the 1st of February.

I understand what you mean by this to a certain extent but I dont see why its so important. The patches are save game compatible anyway. So they can release the data update to be used with the 11.2 ME. If there are any glaring errors, like Gareth Bales new attributes turning him into some kind of superstar that scores 6 goals a game then fair enough. But I dont think changing a few attributes here and there will massively change things. And if it does, boo hoo. You can just go back to your original save on 11.2 and carry on until the patch is released. Then you can continue your new save using the 11.3 data and the updated ME.

It also makes you wonder, if all these changes have such a big effect in relation to the ME, why do people that start a save with the original database (which has been tested and configured with the original ME) but then have absolutely no problems whatsoever still using that database with the updated and tweaked .3 ME? Ok their Jose Mouinho tactic may not work the same but only slight tweaks need to be made. Just look at Mr Hough's tactics. Starts off with one for the original database and then just tweaks as and when patches are released because of the new ME.

But those little changes can make a huge difference, ill use one example Wilshire, everyone on here says he should be bumped up a few notches, some even say he should be rated as one of the worlds top midfielders, so lets say SI listened to the crazy people and bump him up to say 185PA, he then, to the AI, becomes more attractive than Xavi, so Barca go out and buy Wilshire, and drop Xavi, can you imagine the out cry on here if that happened, Or say they decide ok his PA looks ok but current stats are maybe too high, so they downgrade him a bit, he then becomes worthless to the AI, who in turn sell him to Wolves (no offence ment) and he sits on the bench there for x number of seasons before moving on to play for hibs for the last 5/6 years of his career. These things have to be balanced and tested to make sure what they have changed works, no point changing a player radically only to find what you have changed ruins something about the game. Balance is the key word, the whole database has to be balanced. That one small change to one players profile can have a knock on effect throughout the game no matter how big or small they are.

Not sure I agree it would have a huge knock on effect to the game.

Any software, especially one that has gone through multiple iteration, should be able to handle valid (according to schema) data.

As the official updates can only contain valid data, I would be very surprised if the code can't handle the new updates without a patch - if this is true, someone is REALLY not doing their job with boundary checks.

The fact that SI provides an editor implies they are confident enough about their framework that you can put any valid in there and the game will handle it.

As such, there should be no reason why the update cannot be released without rigorous testing.

In fact, I'm not sure SI can or will specific test data updates - how do you single out a particular data update to test?

The game will not handle you doing anything to the editor, infact you can ruin a game or database unless you edit it correctly.

The point is like i said in the post above, balance, the database has to be balanced after its released so testing what changes they have made is very important, no on wants to see SI change a players attributes only to find he then dominates the game because the change was unbalanced when compared to the original database.

StevoRobbo, are you saying that a tactic build to work with ME 11.3 but with database from 11.2 will not work the same way in ME 11.3 and database 11.3?

I think that the tactic efficiency is only affect by the ME.

For example i thinking od starting a nwe save with the patch 11.3, but still using the database (transfers and so on) from 11.2.

I will make a tactic that, lets say, it will work just perfectly.

If i start another save but with the database from 11.3, will my tactic effect be different?

lol. if SI don't publish a patch they are basically screwed.

Imagine players buying the game and realising messi ronaldo can be bought at their face value. and a ME that sucks.

Yea im sure alot of people are going to continue buying FM. lol. jog along now. Based on the standard of the game. they are pretty much OBLIGED to release a patch.

But those little changes can make a huge difference, ill use one example Wilshire, everyone on here says he should be bumped up a few notches, some even say he should be rated as one of the worlds top midfielders, so lets say SI listened to the crazy people and bump him up to say 185PA, he then, to the AI, becomes more attractive than Xavi, so Barca go out and buy Wilshire, and drop Xavi, can you imagine the out cry on here if that happened, Or say they decide ok his PA looks ok but current stats are maybe too high, so they downgrade him a bit, he then becomes worthless to the AI, who in turn sell him to Wolves (no offence ment) and he sits on the bench there for x number of seasons before moving on to play for hibs for the last 5/6 years of his career. These things have to be balanced and tested to make sure what they have changed works, no point changing a player radically only to find what you have changed ruins something about the game. Balance is the key word, the whole database has to be balanced. That one small change to one players profile can have a knock on effect throughout the game no matter how big or small they are.

I see what your saying. Its just when people use an example of their testing like that I cant help but think back to release where players were getting upset and leaving and this wasnt picked up in testing. If they tested the data for that long (over the length of Wilsheres career) they would have picked up on that before release. But thats another argument thats already died a death so I'll leave that there.

Using your example though, who's to say that a manager would be wrong if the bought Wilshere and dropped Xavi. If the manager thinks thats the best thing to do then isnt that their choice? After the Arsenal/Barca game, all the talk was about Wilshere to Barca and forget Fabregas. If Wilshere did go to Barca, who would he replace? Who would be dropped to make way? Maybe if your example did pan out in the game, who's to say that would be way off the mark?

Also if Wilshere does deserve an upgrade, and all the data is correct, attributes are spot on and the majority agree, so what if Barca buy him and Xavi gets dropped. If Wilsheres data is correct and attributes are more realistic and agreed, that is all that matters. Not what an AI Guardiola chooses to do with his team. You cant hold Wilshere back because AI Pep drops a clanger. And thats not really the ME's fault. Thats the AI managers fault and that side of the game. And we all know that no matter how much they test this patch, you will still get the usuall awful AI management anyway.

If we could control the choices of the AI. The game would get very boring very quickly. It would be too predictable. Which shouldnt be the case. As far as the actuall ME goes and the effect it will have on results of games and how teams/players play, the database changes to player attributes and such will have minimal effect either on the new ME, 11.2, 11.1, or 11.0 ME. If it changed that much, if you started a save with the original database but using the 11.3 ME there would be chaos wouldnt there? No of course there isnt. Because the changes dont drastically change anything.

If they knew the patch was going to take this long, SI could and probably should have released the database a long time ago. People could have been happily playing now. But instead everybody is unhappy (sweeping statement :D ) rather than just the people wanting the patch/bug fixes. It doesnt make sense. Not to me anyway.

lol. if SI don't publish a patch they are basically screwed.

Imagine players buying the game and realising messi ronaldo can be bought at their face value. and a ME that sucks.

Yea im sure alot of people are going to continue buying FM. lol. jog along now. Based on the standard of the game. they are pretty much OBLIGED to release a patch.

I've genuinely not noticed any problems in the game - some of the exagurations in this thread are fantastic.

SI would sell as many games next year patch or no patch. And you would buy it.

The initial incarnation of FM11 was obviously crap, but with the patches, i honestly do not see how the game is unplayable. It's very enjoyable in my mind, however, i have not played since the last days of CM, and only returned briefly with FM 10, and fully with FM 11, and therefore am not really a vet of the game. So i may not notice the bugs that others do.

My only gripe with the game is that the AI is lagging behind the brilliant innovation that makes the game. I really, really do dislike the managerial merry-go-round, the fact that useless managers get top jobs, essentially the whole AI management side of the game. And of course the the transfer system is not working properly, but hopefully this can be somehwat redeemed with the final patch. The ai's inadequacy has knock on effects, such as an easier gameplay 2-3 seasons in, poor opposition squad building etc...

I personally feel that an overhaul of the game's infrastructure should be considered. But, the game is clearly far from unplayable. That is a baseless accusation. I have not played since early january, but in any case, people get through a season in a month or two, some even in a few days, so what is the problem with the season being in it's last quarter?

I see what your saying. Its just when people use an example of their testing like that I cant help but think back to release where players were getting upset and leaving and this wasnt picked up in testing. If they tested the data for that long (over the length of Wilsheres career) they would have picked up on that before release. But thats another argument thats already died a death so I'll leave that there.

Using your example though, who's to say that a manager would be wrong if the bought Wilshere and dropped Xavi. If the manager thinks thats the best thing to do then isnt that their choice? After the Arsenal/Barca game, all the talk was about Wilshere to Barca and forget Fabregas. If Wilshere did go to Barca, who would he replace? Who would be dropped to make way? Maybe if your example did pan out in the game, who's to say that would be way off the mark?

Also if Wilshere does deserve an upgrade, and all the data is correct, attributes are spot on and the majority agree, so what if Barca buy him and Xavi gets dropped. If Wilsheres data is correct and attributes are more realistic and agreed, that is all that matters. Not what an AI Guardiola chooses to do with his team. You cant hold Wilshere back because AI Pep drops a clanger. And thats not really the ME's fault. Thats the AI managers fault and that side of the game. And we all know that no matter how much they test this patch, you will still get the usuall awful AI management anyway.

If we could control the choices of the AI. The game would get very boring very quickly. It would be too predictable. Which shouldnt be the case. As far as the actuall ME goes and the effect it will have on results of games and how teams/players play, the database changes to player attributes and such will have minimal effect either on the new ME, 11.2, 11.1, or 11.0 ME. If it changed that much, if you started a save with the original database but using the 11.3 ME there would be chaos wouldnt there? No of course there isnt. Because the changes dont drastically change anything.

If they knew the patch was going to take this long, SI could and probably should have released the database a long time ago. People could have been happily playing now. But instead everybody is unhappy (sweeping statement :D ) rather than just the people wanting the patch/bug fixes. It doesnt make sense. Not to me anyway.

you last statements sums it up. IF they knew. clearly they didn't anticipate the issues they are dealing with.

Archived