Football Manager 2011 demo information

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, what's the difference between them uploading the strawberry demo to steam and them uploading it via torrent or direct download? Surely the strawberry demo is the strawberry demo? Or are the steam and other versions totally different?

Not really bothered, I don't mind installing Steam for a few days, just wondering.

Ter already covered this. In our opinion, the easiest way to make the demo widely available to the most people at once is via Steam. It's also likely to be the most reliable method given our track record of breaking our own, and numerous other, websites on demo release day via volume of traffic.

Enjoy it...:)

Having Steam ads when leaving the game, or a big link : "Buy this game" when closing the demo grabbed on Steam... is just deeply unfair for those who sell the digital version of the game (like me). I don't understand why other digital platform are letting that happen... and not only on FM. The principal is scandalous.

Some day maybe it'll change...

Ok fair play, it was just the talk of 'different versions' and not being able to get them ready & tested on time to release on the same day that confused me, seeing as the Strawberry demo, whether uploaded on Steam, torrent or direct download is basically the same thing.

Ter already covered this. In our opinion, the easiest way to make the demo widely available to the most people at once is via Steam. It's also likely to be the most reliable method given our track record of breaking our own, and numerous other, websites on demo release day via volume of traffic.

Enjoy it...:)

Ok fair play, it was just the talk of 'different versions' and not being able to get them ready & tested on time to release on the same day that confused me, seeing as the Strawberry demo, whether uploaded on Steam, torrent or direct download is basically the same thing.

There are numerous different vanilla versions. Not sure about the Strawberry.

• SI Staff
Whats so hard with uploading the torrent on thursday. Looks like STEAM is paying you for that. :p

If you read the first post, it's pretty clear in there.

No, they aren't. All different versions need testing. Same way as a DVD with just the English language on it, and one with just French, are essentially the same game, with one file different, they both need to go through the same testing process separately.

Having Steam ads when leaving the game, or a big link : "Buy this game" when closing the demo grabbed on Steam... is just deeply unfair for those who sell the digital version of the game (like me). I don't understand why other digital platform are letting that happen... and not only on FM. The principal is scandalous.

Some day maybe it'll change...

I understand what you mean. Those pop-ups can be annoying sometimes, would be nice to have an option to disable them...I'll still use Steam though.

I'm all for complaining when it's due but WTF people?! How is it so hard to just download Steam and get the demo? I just... I really can't see the problem. I get that the torrent-way also is a good idea but still what the hell? Cake or Candy, they're both good. And to those pushing for an upload on the website I say: is this your first time?

If you read the first post, it's pretty clear in there.

No, they aren't. All different versions need testing. Same way as a DVD with just the English language on it, and one with just French, are essentially the same game, with one file different, they both need to go through the same testing process separately.

I did read the first post. But what is different in the STEAM strawberry and Direct/Torrent Strawberry.

Why can't you just download it through Steam and be happy? Didn't know bitches played FM.

Why don't you just calm down? It's each to their own. We can all moan etc. If you're fine with STEAM, just be cool and play it that way. I'm not fine with STEAM, but will wait and download Strawberry DEMO on Friday. And play in on Friday and weekend. Everybody's happy and if I waited this long I'll wait for one more day. PES11 will keep me entertained until Friday. :D

Guest roberto922
One quick question, I've only ever played top flight in the demo so never thought to check, is the BSP included in the English quickstart?

Anyone. ?

It would be hard, or we'd be doing it.

You need the net connection to download and install Steam's client (it's tiny) and to download the demo (that will be bigger). After that, you run Steam once, set it to "Offline mode", and never need to use it online again - so no issues on trains etc.Simples.

Unless it breaks due to no your fault of your own and that Steam can't fix and then your left with a game you own and can't play. Or was that me with FM09 on Steam. Oh yeah thats right. I'll wait til Friday thanks.

• SI Staff
I did read the first post. But what is different in the STEAM strawberry and Direct/Torrent Strawberry.

The methods for building them are different, as one is played through Steam's system, and the others aren't. So one has integration, and the others don't.

The difference between direct/torrent is just the delivery method, but torrents need to be made and tested, and then the installation of those tested too. There's a lot of work that goes on with these processes!

How would a Torrent download of the game be any less effective than Steam? Isnt the Steam version of the demo just the same as all the others but it installs to a different path and steam add some files? So if that one is ready, why cant all the Steam stuff just be left out and release via torrent also? A torrent isnt going to make any sites crash is it?

Edit: Sorry already answered by Miles.

After reading that though, I would have thought it would be quicker to set up a torrent and do the testing on that than it would with Steam with having to sort out the integration? And not to mention the fact it installs to a completely different path compared to a torrent or direct download.

• SI Staff
How would a Torrent download of the game be any less effective than Steam? Isnt the Steam version of the demo just the same as all the others but it installs to a different path and steam add some files? So if that one is ready, why cant all the Steam stuff just be left out and release via torrent also? A torrent isnt going to make any sites crash is it?

Please read my original post, Steve. We cannot get both done in time. Steam is a MUCH better option for us than torrent in getting the demo out to as many people as possible.

The other option, of course, is for us to just pull the whole thing, and just go with all of them on Friday instead. But I don't think that will be very popular.

Please read my original post, Steve. We cannot get both done in time. Steam is a MUCH better option for us than torrent in getting the demo out to as many people as possible.

The other option, of course, is for us to just pull the whole thing, and just go with all of them on Friday instead. But I don't think that will be very popular.

Well obviously thats not an option now, but if you hadn't done your Steam exclusive thing you could have released them all on Friday with nobody having to feel left out.

It doesn't really bother me, I have to work all day Thursday and Friday but it does seem that every iteration of FM is pushing people more and more into the Steam camp, possibly against their will.

Just my opinion, the minute we are forced to take the Steam only route is the minute you lose me as a customer unfortunately.

Can't wait!

Even going to download steam for the demo, will be pre ordering my game shortly after! :)

But I have a couple of questions about steam that id love someone to answer please...

1) After downloading Steam and FM11 demo, do I have to play the game via Steam?

Or will it be on my desktop as an icon I can just click and play?

2)After downloading Steam will it download the FM11 demo automatically for me whilst im at work!?

Thanks guy's and gal's! :D

Have to say I have already installed Steam and just cannot wait for the new FM.

Having spent 4 months of cleaning up Championship Manager and releasing patches to the community over there it feels great to come here and read such great news.

I really do hope that you guys at SI have made a game that I can really enjoy and hope it becomes as big as the other games you have released:thup:

some people are never happy. the choice is there for you to decide

what's 1 extra day ffs

excellent news SI can't wait for thursday, never had a problem with steam myself, i get excellent download speeds from them sometimes 1.7 mb/ps !!! (i'm on fibre optic from virgin)

not sure if i've missed it but when on thursday will it be live?

What makes it easier to get the Steam demo out first over the Torrent? I was baffled last year when it was first announced that only Steam users would be getting the 2009 Skin.

Most people who bought the boxed version paid the same amount for the game, but we did get the Skin a couple of Months later.

I guess Steam users save SI a little money on making Disks/manuals and boxes etc. So they get all the little treats. :D

I guess releasing the Torrent first would sway Steam users away, as i bet some Steam users would download the torrent instead of waiting another 24 hours and we can't be having that.

Like some people have said, it would have just been better to release them all on Friday and not mentioned anything in the first place.

Then there would have been nothing to complain about, nobody would have known any different.. but it's too late now.

Anyways, roll on Friday, something to look forward to. :thup:

some people are never happy. the choice is there for you to decide

what's 1 extra day ffs

excellent news SI can't wait for thursday, never had a problem with steam myself, i get excellent download speeds from them sometimes 1.7 mb/ps !!! (i'm on fibre optic from virgin)

Agree downloaded FM10 last year and the download flew.

I don't understand why people have such a problem with it but really if you don't like steam then just wait that extra day an be done with it

Well obviously thats not an option now, but if you hadn't done your Steam exclusive thing you could have released them all on Friday with nobody having to feel left out.

It doesn't really bother me, I have to work all day Thursday and Friday but it does seem that every iteration of FM is pushing people more and more into the Steam camp, possibly against their will.

Just my opinion, the minute we are forced to take the Steam only route is the minute you lose me as a customer unfortunately.

Im in the same boat as you here :thup:

What makes it easier to get the Steam demo out first over the Torrent? I was baffled last year when it was first announced that only Steam users would be getting the 2009 Skin.

Most people who bought the boxed version paid the same amount for the game, but we did get the Skin a couple of Months later.

I guess Steam users save SI a little money on making Disks/manuals and boxes etc. So they get all the little treats. :D

I guess releasing the Torrent first would sway Steam users away, as i bet some Steam users would download the torrent instead of waiting another 24 hours and we can't be having that.

Like some people have said, it would have just been better to release them all on Friday and not mentioned anything in the first place.

Then there would have been nothing to complain about, nobody would have known any different.. but it's too late now.

Anyways, roll on Friday, something to look forward to. :thup:

wouldn't have made a difference as the common thing on this forum seems to be moaning or complaining about little things

Once I have downloaded via steam, do I still have to be connected to the internet to play? The reason I ask is I like to play on my lunch hour where there is no wifi connection?

Thanks.

this is a myth and a bad one at that, on steam once you've payed for and installed a game, you can click offline settings and you never have to connect to steam for that game again

Can't wait!

Even going to download steam for the demo, will be pre ordering my game shortly after! :)

But I have a couple of questions about steam that id love someone to answer please...

1) After downloading Steam and FM11 demo, do I have to play the game via Steam?

Or will it be on my desktop as an icon I can just click and play?

2)After downloading Steam will it download the FM11 demo automatically for me whilst im at work!?

Thanks guy's and gal's! :D

1) You can set an icon on your desktop for the FM11 demo but Steam will open in the background when you click the icon before the demo does. Whilst playing the demo Steam will run in the background and be shown on your task manager.

2) You'll need to start the download off, after that you can leave it until its complete.

personally, I am 50/50 as to using steam or not. I know most of you think it works great, but I've also heard horror stories about it. My parents are those that are very anti-steam, and they've pretty much told me if I install steam and use it to play games, I'm an idiot because it will end up destroying my computer. Personally I know jack about computers, and I get tired of having my parents bitch and moan every time they have to work on my computer. That being said this game sounds really cool. I got no problems waiting till Friday for the demo, but if I really like this game and want to buy it what happens then? Is the full version going to require you to have steam to play it? If so, then I agree with some others on here, you'll lose me as a customer. I still liked WWSM 2007 the best, and I hope that SI doesn't force us to use steam to play this game. So can we use the full boxed version without steam? And why do some people hate steam while others love it? Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Guest roberto922
My parents are those that are very anti-steam, and they've pretty much told me if I install steam and use it to play games, I'm an idiot because it will end up destroying my computer

That's priceless, absolutely priceless :D, seriously mate take the testimony of the millions that are playing with and enjoying steam with no problems over the hundreds that have had trouble.

personally, I am 50/50 as to using steam or not. I know most of you think it works great, but I've also heard horror stories about it. My parents are those that are very anti-steam, and they've pretty much told me if I install steam and use it to play games, I'm an idiot because it will end up destroying my computer. Personally I know jack about computers, and I get tired of having my parents bitch and moan every time they have to work on my computer. That being said this game sounds really cool. I got no problems waiting till Friday for the demo, but if I really like this game and want to buy it what happens then? Is the full version going to require you to have steam to play it? If so, then I agree with some others on here, you'll lose me as a customer. I still liked WWSM 2007 the best, and I hope that SI doesn't force us to use steam to play this game. So can we use the full boxed version without steam? And why do some people hate steam while others love it? Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

cassettes>floppy disks>cartridges>cd's>dvd's>downloads it's ever changing

i reckon in 10 years time all games will be downloads anyway, it's just the way the world moves on

nothing wrong with steam and it certainly doesn't "destroy" computers

What exactly don't they like about steam? Also ive used steam now for 6 years buying about 2 or 3 games from them each year sometimes even more without any problem. Obviously the odd people will have problems with them as no company is perfect sometimes there will be problems but i suppose it depends how those problems are dealt with that will determine whether you like them or not.

wouldn't have made a difference as the common thing on this forum seems to be moaning or complaining about little things

Yeah, so if they released them both at the same time, then there would have been no complaining or moaning.

As Friday will be 2 weeks before release day anyway, which is when SI said the Demo will probably be released.

Archived