Football Manager 2011 demo information

last year i think the demo came out around 11:00 pm of the day before the announced release day, so i think i'll stay up and wait for the release!

Last year it was released at 16:00h UK time. Miles said he will say at midnite at what time exactly is the demo going to be available for download.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course it's pure speculation, given nothing of what I had said has happened yet!

It is simply educated guesswork. I think it's pretty hard to deny that SI has made a conscious push towards Steam - whilst I'm not particularly bothered about how they distribute the demo (I'll wait the extra day, although it is a nuisance - I actually can't understand why they didn't release the demo on the Friday on all platforms if they weren't doing this in order to favour Steam... for all those saying "it's only an extra day, wait for the torrent", if it's only an extra day, why release the Steam one earlier??), I am concerned about the prospect Steam will be used to release the actual game ahead of the DVD release in the future. Or, heaven forbid, release it Steam only, which would cut down on manufacturing costs.

I'm talking years down the line, but I'd prefer if the trend was nipped in the bud now to be honest. My personal opinion on Steam, since it repeatedly stalled my system years ago, is about as low as you can go and I won't be using it.

The fact is that the general trend of PC games is towards digital download for several reasons with Steam being in pole position as it stands.

I have no doubts that in years to come boxed PC games won't exist and all will be digital download in some form, either direct or through a client.

As for your comment about Steam stalling your system years ago well technology moves on and you should be mature enough to recognise that and be able to evaluate the product as it is now rather than years ago.

with the details being released at midnight on what time it will be avaliable. i am guessing we wont be able to download it until thursday morning 9am onwards

unlikely the will have it ready for download at something like 3am is it

People's years old impression of Steam is a really interesting point.

I remember downloading it on the day it came out - as I recall, it was integral if you wanted to keep your Counter Strike client up to date.

It was crap. Slow, buggy, crashed a lot.

That was 10 years ago. As a comparison - take a look at the PC or the mobile phone you had 10 years ago. I'd wager the one you have now is probably better. Think of Steam like that. I tried it again when I wanted to investigate it as we were considering using it for Total War and FM. It was a hugely surprising experience. Better usability, less PC-intensive, better services available, and on FM - and this is absolutely true - completely uninvasive.

Last year, here's what I did;

- Installed the game via the boxed copy I got from work.

- Registered with Steam - it's the easiest way of ensuring you have the right patch and that you're up to date.

- Set Steam to offline mode.

- Didn't turn Steam on again until I knew the patch was available.

- Downloaded the patch.

- Set Steam to offline mode.

- Rinse and repeat.

It's easier, for me, than trawling around websites looking for patches etc etc. It's not invasive. It's not difficult to use.

I appreciate and respect that it's not everyone's cup of tea. But it's a constantly evolving and improving service, so it's worth keeping an eye on.

miles or matt, quick question.. a friend of mine still got Tiger OS running his mac.. will FM2011 run on Tiger or only Leopard for mac?

Yikes. I know nothing about Macs.

I am, however, reliably informed that it's Leopard or Snow Leopard only. Does that mean anything useful...:)

Hopefully the demo will be put up around midnight and it can be downloaded around that time, the thing is, would I be able to play it at school away from the Internet? I'm thinking of taking my laptop in and playing FM in my first lesson as I have a free period and have nothing better to do than plays games really. Is it possible to play it offline like this and would I be able to download it within say, 30 minutes?

Last year I brought a boxed copy for £18 and typed in its code into steam and downloaded the game without ever putting the disc in my laptop.

After that Ive been able to play the game on and offline whenever I want. Plus the patches were updated automatically and I've still beeb able to add face packs etc. :]

Demo????

THIS IS FOOTBALL MANAGER!!!

(Kicks Pim1984 to the hole)

Exactly!

I wont be having the day off to "play". I will start a new career as the manager of one of the most successful football clubs in the world, on tens of thousands of pounds per week....I think I will need a whole day free for that :p

If Fergie drops Rooney til Jan, he can at least play the Football Manager 2011 demo - exclusively available on MirrorFootball from midnight!

Oooo does that mean it's the torrent version? Or will it just be exclusively a download link leading to the Steam download link?

Archived