1/4 Final: Argentina vs Germany - 3rd July @ 3pm

gillsminnow

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i've actually heard no one say that.

The Argentinian media and their general population to start.. Various other media outlets praising the teams "scintillating" displays :rolleyes: leading to a creation of hype of their chances.

What do Kaká, Rooney, Ronaldo and Messi all have in common this wc? :D

Fixed. :D

Germany vs The Netherlands would/will be an awesome final, although I am hoping the final will be between Uruguay and Paraguay (but Spain should beat them). :cool:

Spain. They keep the ball better, so Germany won't have the opportunity to attack them as often. And they are better defensively too.

I agree with this. But there will be chances to counter attck them and the Germans will make the most of them as they have shown so far

What team is capable of stopping the German counter-attacking blitzkreig?

A team that can choke the midfield of Germany - limiting the distribution of Schweinsteiger and tracking the runs of Oezil. I'm seriously doubting now if Xabi, Xavi, Iniesta can do that..

A team that can choke the midfield of Germany - limiting the distribution of Schweinsteiger and tracking the runs of Oezil. I'm seriously doubting now if Xabi, Xavi, Iniesta can do that..

They play with alot of width and are hard to close down, get men in support on the counter and are fluid in their passing. A joy to watch.

Lets see if Spain beat best-guay first though ^_^

those german players in fm11 will be so good

I still think that as individuals they're a long way from being at the very top level, and it's their strength as a team that makes them so good. Hopefully that will be reflected in the game.

Ballack being out has been great for Germany. It means that they've got the energy of Khedira and Schweinsteiger's been allowed to run the show. I think Ballack would have slowed it down too much.

exactly what I was getting at earlier on the page. would ballack have been in the starting XI? I presume so but just want to make sure.

i've actually heard no one say that.
Finally, Argentina played a team that was organized and tactically astute. Up until this game, I felt that too many people believed Maradona had created a team capable of winning the World Cup overnight. What many people failed to realise is that the teams Argentina faced were all relatively low calibre opponents. It seems only right that they got a beating from a team that has shown great defensive organization and counter attacking abilities.

I hate Maradona and I'm damn happy I don't have to see him again on my TV anymore.

This is very reminiscent of the last World cup, when Argentina with Riquilme pulling the strings were everyones favorites, until they fell to Mexico I believe in the previous round.

Can I ask what that celebration is about? Been bugging me lately.

how many goals he is to Ronaldo's record possibly? no idea where his "head over heels" thing comes from though, been a signature move for years that he does

This is very reminiscent of the last World cup, when Argentina with Riquilme pulling the strings were everyones favorites, until they fell to Mexico I believe in the previous round.

they beat Mexico with that brilliant Maxi Rodriguez volley, fell to Germany in a penalty shoot out involving rammies in the QFs

iirc some idiot on the bbc said "you wouldn't swap a single german player for any english" :D

They were probably saying the same thing in Argentina. Proves a team will nearly always come out on top against a bunch of individuals, however skilled they maybe.

how many goals he is to Ronaldo's record possibly? no idea where his "head over heels" thing comes from though, been a signature move for years that he does

I've seen him do it after other goals in this World Cup as well. Not sure what it's about, to be honest, and can't find much from my somewhat perfunctory attempts to Google it, having felt a little guilty about snarking minisav. :D

they beat Mexico with that brilliant Maxi Rodriguez volley, fell to Germany in a penalty shoot out involving rammies in the QFs

You are correct, but like this time it was a surprise when they went out. I personally thought the previous team was the better one, & thought they would have been better off staying with the manager.

I'll just have to change my underwear several times during the final 20 minutes :D

Delightful to watch Maradona's "managerial skills" being exposed for what they truly are... those of a 9 years old boy who picks his favourite team, mostly consisting of attacking players...

Defensively embarrassing, with Otamendi lucky not to get a red card, and often struggling in a position he isn't verty good in.

Burdisso and Demichelis are like a baby with a gun... you just KNOW something horrible is gonna happen, it's just a matter of when, not of if...

Mascherano doesn't deserve half of the praise he's been getting, and was left alone in midfield.

The attacking lot fell victim of the "Ronaldo syndrome", as they kept on trying to dribble the ball into the net, instead of trying something more quick and incisive.

Baffling how Tevez didn't get booked for all his moaning and complaining.

Higuain once more proved he's a good poacher but otherwise he's a waste of a starting eleven spot. While Messi has been so lackluster and meek I almost felt sorry for him.

And Pastore... good God... with the team down by 2, why throwing into the fray one of the worst example of "slow one-trick pony"... Kinda like taking a cup of coffee to fight insomnia... Not to mention Maxi Rodriguez serving as wingback...

That's pretty much it...

Germany were once again very impressive and well-organized, but also took advantage of the glaring flaws of their opponents and of their tactical inadequacy.

Have a nice trip home, Diego. You, your God complex and the whole Church of Saint Maradona

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Klose's celebration is a reaction to the criticism he had been receiving from the German media. Someone told me that hand gesture means "F*uck you" or the like.. Like I said, I could be very wrong :D

And Pastore... good God... with the team down by 2, why throwing into the fray one of the worst example of "slow one-trick pony"... Kinda like taking a cup of coffee to fight insomnia...

I was really impressed with him after his first sub appearance in this tournament, but you're right - he was pretty one-dimensional today.

Reminded me an awful lot of a player we have at Celtic, Paddy McCourt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cm-a5kp55I&feature=related

I wouldn't expect wur Paddy to lower himself to playing for Argentina though. ;)

You are correct, but like this time it was a surprise when they went out. I personally thought the previous team was the better one, & thought they would have been better off staying with the manager.

Pekerman resigned after that game which is a shame considering they played incredible football that year.

What team is capable of stopping the German counter-attacking blitzkreig?

Russia, England and the US with France providing moral support. Oh, wait ... :D

I still feel Klose should be playing for Poland :thdn:

Because he has a German father and spent 24 of his 32 years in Germany ( some in France as well ) ? Yea, I can totally see where you're coming from.

Well I had Germany to get to the Semi's at 9/1 (put £5 on) and Holland to win the World Cup at 9/1 (also put £5 on). Also said it would be a Holland v Spain final so it may happen yet.

My friends and collegues laughed at me when I said it :(

Am I the only one that doesn't think Germany looked that strong? They are obviously a great team, but it was handed to them as an early christmas present today.

Argentina's defense was simply laughable, I have rarely seen anything like that. Germany could literally walk the ball up to Argentina's box and even then they refused to press the ball. If it was Spain or Brasil getting that kind of space against this Argentina, this could easily have been their worst defeat ever.

Am I the only one that doesn't think Germany looked that strong? They are obviously a great team, but it was handed to them as an early christmas present today.

Argentina's defense was simply laughable, I have rarely seen anything like that. Germany could literally walk the ball up to Argentina's box and even then they refused to press the ball. If it was Spain or Brasil getting that kind of space against this Argentina, this could easily have been their worst defeat ever.

I thought they looked pretty strong, were certainly impressive. Mind you, Argentina and England have made it very, very easy for them. Should Spain get through, I'd anticipate a much more difficult task for the Germans.

Archived