How good are you at FM? Rate yourself out of 5 stars.

How good are you at FM? Rate yourself out of 5 stars.  

676 members have voted

1. 1. How good are you at FM? Rate yourself out of 5 stars.

5*

I do consider myself an expert on the game. I have people phoning me asking for advice for their game, and sometimes I get called over to friends houses to 'sort out' their problems.

I have success with nearly every team I ever manage.

It's not too difficult once you get to grips with the 'saving and re-loading' after losing games.

Awesome :thup:;)post

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no correct way or incorrect way of playing the game and I certainly would never push my views on others. I personally choose to play as realistically as possible because thats the way I enjoy FM. Could you please explain how the search function can be used in a realistic way?

Already did in another thread. But hey I'll do it again.

The SPFA have a list of all freebies register in Scotland - this can be duplicated with the search function

The SFA have a list of all registered Non Playing staff in Scotland - this can be duplicated by the search function.

Scouting players before you sign them is also unrealistic for most lower league clubs in Scotland - most of the time it is done by word of mouth or because the club is in close vicinity to their club. This is how most loans and youth players from the SPL end up at clubs that are next door to them - not because of Scouts (after a trial period of course) - for example Airdrie United, Albion Rovers and Queen's Park end up having Celtic, Rangers and Motherwell "failures" in their team - and trust me it wasn't because of scouts.

It was because their manager asked Old Firm/Motherwell manager who was available at that time or they knew they were to be released so offered them a trial (another example is Aberdeen with Peterhead and Montrose).

play attractive, attacking football. beat stronger opponents than me. pull off backs to the wall jobs. make some sensational signings, manage my club balances and finances exceptionally. only downside to my style is that i can start a little slowly sometimes.

Probaly 3* but like weeman went for 4

In the past I have got Hartlepool into the 2nd tier of English football, I have won the prem with Arsnal and the world cup with England but on the other hand I bankrupt Man u (ok I did that on purpose) got relegated on various occasions, so I voted with an Avarage 3.

Four star. Don't think I've ever managed back to back promotions from a BS Regional to L2. If I'm at a sleeping giant I can manage consecutive promotions from L2 to the Premiership, but with smaller clubs it will take me a couple of seasons longer. Once I have a top side I tend to maintain it quite easily and dominate the domestic leagues, although, unlike some, I don't win the CL season on season, with maybe 3 wins in 5 years being my best perfomance. I won the EPL and CL with Wycombe in 09, but it took me a good number of years to do so.

The SPFA have a list of all freebies register in Scotland - this can be duplicated with the search function

The SFA have a list of all registered Non Playing staff in Scotland - this can be duplicated by the search function.

Scouting players before you sign them is also unrealistic for most lower league clubs in Scotland - most of the time it is done by word of mouth or because the club is in close vicinity to their club. This is how most loans and youth players from the SPL end up at clubs that are next door to them - not because of Scouts (after a trial period of course) - for example Airdrie United, Albion Rovers and Queen's Park end up having Celtic, Rangers and Motherwell "failures" in their team - and trust me it wasn't because of scouts.

It was because their manager asked Old Firm/Motherwell manager who was available at that time or they knew they were to be released so offered them a trial (another example is Aberdeen with Peterhead and Montrose).

Do you play with fog of war? Otherwise this option is still unrealistic because in real life you would not know the attributes of every player on that list. And even then it can be argued that you would not know the attributes of these players without sending a scout to watch them first.

You make a good point about scouting. I doubt many Conference South sides have dedicated scouts.

Most of the time it is about word of mouth or a manager's knowledge and contacts.

A potential signing will train with the first team or reserves and probably play for the reserves or the youth side.

A manager will generally use his contacts at bigger clubs to sign up young players on work experience on loan. These players may eventually end up joining the club if they are released by the parent club.

Also, a lot of the time, the manager will know the qualities of a potential signing due to him playing the same league as the club he manages.

Lists of non-contracted and available players are also available in England and regularly published in the Non-League Paper each summer, for instance, as well as being available online.

Personally, I do use the search page on FM occasionally but I only search for players who are based in the countries or regions I am able to scout. My own personal rule is always to scout or trial players thoroughly before signing them. I always use attribute masking as well. In general, most of my FM signings come directly from my scouts, from real life knowledge, from having seen a player in the game itself or from clubs in the same division as me.

Regards,

C.

this is why lots of low club aka conference league teams ,has 95% of English players cause of they scouting is not good enough or money wise, ect you would see some team like braintree snap up a young star from brazil with the scouting lvl they have.

Being honest i would consider myself a one star compared to the other people who play the game. I can do it with big teams but i'd never be able to turn lower league teams into prem title contenders in few years

Turning Lower league teams into Prem title contenders is unrealistic anyway! You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. If you can succeed with top(ish) teams, you're more than likely a 3*

Being honest i would consider myself a one star compared to the other people who play the game. I can do it with big teams but i'd never be able to turn lower league teams into prem title contenders in few years

lol i agree with this, i see some people using AFC Wimbledon and taking them to premiership ect personally, i could never do this but that don't make you 1 star it will make you 3 or something

i did take Braintree to win the blue square 1st season, and made them 1st in blue premier for for 27 games in 2nd season when i was predicted to become last . but then i flopped on the 28 game so that makes me 3/4 stars

Turning Lower league teams into Prem title contenders is unrealistic anyway! You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. If you can succeed with top(ish) teams, you're more than likely a 3*

Actually i remember in Fm 2008 i got stoke promoted to the prem in first season then got into champions league in two seasons in the prem. But that was just luck. Maybe i'm a 2 or a 3 :) thanks for that :D

And I meant a 3* at least. Nice work there with Stoke, did a bigger club snaffle you away with the lure of a huge war chest? This is what usually happens when I have a good save going with a lesser club. I just can't say no to Liverpool, Valencia, Ajax and the like when they offer me £70M+ for transfers. Then after a few months I lose heart and quit :(:D

And I meant a 3* at least. Nice work there with Stoke, did a bigger club snaffle you away with the lure of a huge war chest? This is what usually happens when I have a good save going with a lesser club. I just can't say no to Liverpool, Valencia, Ajax and the like when they offer me £70M+ for transfers. Then after a few months I lose heart and quit :(:D

I was offered various jobs but i just loved playing with stoke so much i couldn't leave because i had a personal touch on the team over the number of years i was there and i was excited seeing the players i signed as youngsters develop. I had enough money to keep me happy anyway. :) when henri saivet was stolen off me by Barcelona that hurt me too much to continue any further :p

I voted 3 stars, on 08 I got Burnley to the Premiership (only up 1 division, not a massive achievement) but I did win some impressive trophies, 3 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 1 x Uefa Cup, 1 x Champions League. I was in 2016 when I stopped playing. Obviously Money is a massive problem compared to other teams so I viewed this as a successful game. On 09, I was Bolton, won a fair bit, although not as much as with Burnley, and still no Premiership but I'm an established top 4 side now and with a small stadium, no bigger than 35k seats so revenue was a bit tight. However because of the lack of "major" trophies despite numerous sides challenging I though 3 star would be fair.

Although I never sign in all the usuals mentioned on the forums. I.e. Saivet, Fazio, Sakho etc

I've got to be 4*.

I seriously clear up with Spurs although they are a big team. On '09 I've won 17 consecutive PLs, 10 Cls, 14 FA Cups, etc, etc. I've also won the World Cup and Euro Champs with England.

I'd give myself 5* but Spurs are far from the biggest test of FM pedigree. I'll start in the lowest tier of English football on FM10 and that will give me a true answer.

I voted 4 stars. I generally get successful with every team I manage in 2-3 seasons at most, otherwise I generally tend to get bored. I haven't been at a team for more than 3 seasons without winning anything since I genuinely get bored. I got back to back promotions with Leeds, which I took up to 6th place in the EPL in 4 seasons. Played a UEFA Cup final with Romanian side CFR Cluj, won doubles or trebles with most of the major European sides I played.

I've just checked all my old saved games from FM 2005 to FM 2010 (Demo), there's 18 in total and in each of the manager stats my lowest win percentage is 71% with the highest being 89%. On that basis i'd put myself down as a 5.

I wouldn't say FM is easy, just say i'm that damn good! lol

5*, I smash it; always start a new game by obliterating everyone with Liverpool, then look for new challenges. Always take a Conference team to the Premiership, and even Won it with (the now non-existent) Moor Green in FM08 and got to like the Quarters of the Champions League.

Interesting that the the most popular choices are 3* followed closely by 4*, which probably suggests that the difficulty of the game is actually about right.

C.

This is my thread and my poll, don't steal my big moment :mad:

I was planning to say that soon enough :(

:D

I would say 4*

I have had moments of 5* ..... and moments of 3*

Tried all sorts of challenges, Man Utd, Real Madrid, Preston NE, Southport, Vauxhall Motors etc. I have done it all. I love starting as a small club like Southport and taking 15-20 seasons to get them to be the best team in the world with a huge stadium named after me and and a squad of complete regens.

Im undoubtedly a 4. So i should be having played FM/CM since Championship Manager 2. I always start saves thinking that i'm going to be a 5 but never do, i tend to do whats expected of me consistantly but not too much more, makes me wonder why i still play but i do!

It would give my self 3 .Strangely i have had more success with AT Madrid than any other top 4 English or Italian team.Also for me is harder to win the league with the top 4 teams than to get promoted in the first league with a lower league team.

Archived