Suggestion - Can we please have a "permanent" individual player instruction screen

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's some debating about this in Italian forums, if I'm right...:p

I think, the easiest thing to implement this is just to put a little lock icon like this

http://www.iconspedia.com/uploads/1800080555301859152.png

(not locke, the Lost character....)

somewhere ( side by the name of a player in the tactic screen?).

edit: this why there should be the possibility to set instructions to players that are not on pitch or reserved...and there's the problem "what if I put him in reserved team or under 20 team?"

it looks like we sort've get this with the new tactics as we give the players 'roles' rather than slider instructions

What? No more sliders? Are you sure?

Basically the roles showed in the blogs preview are the same thing that there's already, where you have default settings for players (corner up and right).

To me that Tactic Creator it's just a feature for beginners. :D

What? No more sliders? Are you sure?

Basically the roles showed in the blogs preview are the same thing that there's already, where you have default settings for players (corner up and right).

To me that Tactic Creator it's just a feature for beginners. :D

I have been using it with FML and while the roles are rather generic you can alter them using advanced instructions or you can use the "classic" slider system.

I actualy cant wait for FM10, as 09's tactical system feels clunky in comparism to FML. You will sacrifice a little in complete tactical freedom for a more intuitive, easier to use system.

I have been using it with FML and while the roles are rather generic you can alter them using advanced instructions or you can use the "classic" slider system.

In fact the screenshot of FM10 I saw a "advanced" button, it was a big step behind if it wasn't so!

What is not clear is if there are same sliders or not. From what I've read, I understand there's an individual player "width" slide...can you confirm?

I didn't mention it in depth in the original post, but this feature would inherently necessitate a very easy method of turning these individual instruction overrides on or off, as well as an easy and visible way of seeing who has them turned on in the first place, otherwise as you say it could complicate things and confuse/frustrate people (especially those new to the game). It'd be up to the developers how they'd do this, but there are a good number of ways it could be done. E.g. in the formations screen maybe have a checkbox next to the player rating which is ticked if the player has his own overriding instructions that he's following, so if you don't want him to follow those overriding instructions you can just uncheck it (and that way it's very easy to see who has these overriding instructions active as the box will be ticked if they do). And similarly, maybe have the option to show or hide this column so that new to the game (or who dont want this feature) can ignore it if they fear confusion.

Sorry to keep going back to this, but I think it's pretty important. And I know you've said it's up to the developers, but it's your idea so man up and discuss this ;).

We already have a checkbox for overriding team instructions, so we would now have two checkboxes, one for overriding the team instructions and one for overriding the position instructions. So with that in place, would you still have a single slider for that instruction which changes whether it displays team, position or player instructions, depending on which checkboxes are selected, or would you have two sliders, one for team/position and the other for player instructions? Either way I think it's confusing and cluttered.

Also, if you went for a single slider, it becomes tricky to tweak or setup a tactic as you'd have to toggle a player instruction off to set the positional instruction and then remember to toggle it back on again afterwards.

In fact the screenshot of FM10 I saw a "advanced" button, it was a big step behind if it wasn't so!

What is not clear is if there are same sliders or not. From what I've read, I understand there's an individual player "width" slide...can you confirm?

That is not in FML at present but will be in the next update as well as in FM10 so I cant say how well it works but yes it will be there. There will also be instructions like "cut inside".

Yes the player roles use the slider system, the player roles where developed in conjunction with the likes of WWFan etc. This is their interpretation of how the sliders are translated into roles. A winger would have x attacking notches, run with ball often etc.

But not only roles but duties as well. Take the AMR position:

Roles:

Winger

Inside Forward

Advanced Playmaker

Duties:

Support

Attack

Further down the pitch would also be the defensive duty.

And then you will have shouts- so instead of going in and moving your team attacking and tempo notches up- just one click does that during the match and happens immediately without waiting for the ball to out of play.

This is simply what i feel the game is missing.

I've talked about it before 09 instalment but did not have any feed back from SI.

I would only add another feature, which would be the possibility of telling the player, also in he's profile, to train harder some areas like free kicks for example.

Each player would be able to select one or two things to improve. let's say i want Beckam to take my free kicks. He's already perfect at it, having 20. but i want an alternative and there's a player with 16. If he trains hard maybe he'll get to 18.

And regarding free kicks i would like an option in tactics menu that would divide the field into squares (right, centre and left) and be able to drag the player i want to take the free kick in that particular position. These days i can only choose who is taking them (left and right) but i don't really get it. Are we talking about direct shots to goal or any free keick taking in that position, even if it's is not going to be direct but only a cross into the box?

Dividing it into 3 squares close to the box and another 3 is a longer position will eventually give you the option to choose a more thecnical player to take the closer ones and a player with good long shots to take the longer ones.

Also it would be great if we could choose who's to take lateral free kicks (similar to corners) since these ones would be a cross rather then a shot to goal.

Sorry to keep going back to this, but I think it's pretty important. And I know you've said it's up to the developers, but it's your idea so man up and discuss this ;).

We already have a checkbox for overriding team instructions, so we would now have two checkboxes, one for overriding the team instructions and one for overriding the position instructions. So with that in place, would you still have a single slider for that instruction which changes whether it displays team, position or player instructions, depending on which checkboxes are selected, or would you have two sliders, one for team/position and the other for player instructions? Either way I think it's confusing and cluttered.

Also, if you went for a single slider, it becomes tricky to tweak or setup a tactic as you'd have to toggle a player instruction off to set the positional instruction and then remember to toggle it back on again afterwards.

The example I've given relates to only one checkbox, but it can be seen and turned on/off in two places - in the player's profile and on the tactics screen. That's for the overall "active individual instructions" checkbox, and nothing else. If you look on the 2nd screenshot for Beckham, it's the tickbox at the top.

So what I'm referring to in the example is something like this:

instructionsc.jpg

If the overall individual instruction checkbox is ticked in the player profile screen, then it will be ticked in the tactics screen. If you untick it in the tactics screen and you then go into the player instruction screen, it will also be unticked. Basically the two represent the same feature.

As stated, there are numerous ways this could be implemented. Another example would be icons indicating who has individual instructions active. Or a page listing the individual instructions for each player in some sort of list, which you can then easily modify (so Beckham would be on the list and those individual instructions he has active would also be on that list).

Eg:

instructions2.jpg

I appreciate it's adding a bit more complexity to the game, but bear in mind that as can clearly be seen from this thread, many of us are having to making constant repetitive changes when we shouldn't have to, so if it can be done and done in a manner where it's optional if you want to do this or not, then why not? If we want this sort of a feature, let us have it, and for those who don't want it and are happy with the current system, allow them to ignore the feature entirely should they want to.

Regarding your last sentence and setting up a tactic, the instructions within the profile are independent to those within the tactic. The idea is that these instructions will override whatever instructions you set in the tactics screen. So you can set up your tactic, set up the instructions, without having to turn the player's instructions on or off. Of course the problem that you highlight is still valid, as I understand it your'e referring to a situation where you are setting an instruction in the tactics screen but you're doing so without knowing what the player's own instructions are and whether they'll override whatever it is that you're setting (e.g. turning on regular long shots in the tactics for a player with individual instructions set to rarely shoot from range). But again, that's a problem which also could be solved in a number of different ways should the developers want it. Maybe have a ghost slider which tells you that the player has his own instructions active, or maybe change the colour of the slider to e.g. red to indicate that he'll not follow the instruction you're setting here.

Basically my point is that this feature should be implemented as it makes sense (it's an aspect of object orientated programming that we're referring to here - we want the players to be their own objects with their own instructions more than they currently are), but done so in a way that can be turned on/off easily for those who want/dont want it, and also in a way where you can easily and visibly see what is overriding what. There are numerous ways that SI can implement this, and given the talent SI have there's nothing stopping them coming up with some sort of solution that will make many of us happier than we currently are.

I think a good way of doing this would be by allowing you to save sets of individual instructions, which can be quickly accessed from the "set to" drop down menu, much like you can do with tactics. So when bringing a player on, you could just select their personal instructions from the menu with a couple of clicks. This is how i've always imagined it being done anyway

Would have liked this idea for 2009, but mentality and such are more dependent on position so it isn't too straightforward.

For example I might want someone with through balls often no matter his position but his mentality, forward runs & closing down different depending on position.

I think a better solution would be to create custom player roles for the tactics wizard, so I can have a Beckham MC, Beckham MR etc.

I asked this in FM06. Because, I want to scream to my players. I want to talk with them, to say to young guys to not be egoistic. And in the world you have Sir. Ferguson how is sitting on the banch the whole match, and Mourinho and Leonardo, which are on the byline and talking the whole 90. min. with their players. And so am I. I want to tell Budan, to do something, or he will be substitute. To Veloso, good job, keep pushing. To Thiago you are doing well, just keep watching their striker, and don't let space behind you. To Kroos, look after free space behind the defender, I believe in you, you can give that pass.

And after 65' calm down, hallooooo, calm down, play fine, good passes, good defence, you are doing well. Why are you nervous?

And when my players miss the penalty, I want to tell him, it' ok, I understand it, be cool, I know you can do better.

I asked this in FM06. Because, I want to scream to my players. I want to talk with them, to say to young guys to not be egoistic. And in the world you have Sir. Ferguson how is sitting on the banch the whole match, and Mourinho and Leonardo, which are on the byline and talking the whole 90. min. with their players. And so am I. I want to tell Budan, to do something, or he will be substitute. To Veloso, good job, keep pushing. To Thiago you are doing well, just keep watching their striker, and don't let space behind you. To Kroos, look after free space behind the defender, I believe in you, you can give that pass.

And after 65' calm down, hallooooo, calm down, play fine, good passes, good defence, you are doing well. Why are you nervous?

And when my players miss the penalty, I want to tell him, it' ok, I understand it, be cool, I know you can do better.

You misunderstand the thread. It's not about teamtalks, it's about the pain of having to change your Opposition Instructions (tight marking, closing down, tackling and show on foot) all the time and asking for them to be made easier for us to set up.

A really good idea. But you maybe have come up too late with this idea. I think FM10 reaches Gold within the next weeks and such an important feature has to be tested well! Maybe SI consider this within the first or second patch.

Anyway, excellent idea :thup: :thup: :thup:

Brilliant idea.

I'm hoping that the new tactics editor will make it easier to manage the tactical changes as you would be able to use two different standard instructions for two different types of wingers (i.e. Beckham and Lennon)

Bad idea, in my view, which would mess things up.

It does not correspond with the need for playing attacking vs. defensive play. Playing attacking play of cause you would want Beckham to play many through balls, have high creative freedom etc. but when you are defending or even ultra defending, even though Beckham is a great passer you would want him (and the rest of your players) not to play those through balls to avoid loosing possesion and you certainly would not want him to have high creative freedom. Please defend our lead along with the rest of the team!

Introducing this kind of override flag on a player level will make it impossible to enforce a defensive tactic without then having to go into each and every player and remove those overwrite-instructions. E.g. in the end of the game i would want Newcastle to play defensively, but due to the overwrite-instructions Beckham would still be running around passing long balls. Instead, what you would do is to create copies of tactics e.g. "4-4-2 Beckham" and "4-4-2 Jonas" etc.

The idea might work if you dont really change tactics during a game, but for everybody else who is actually changing their playing style during a match, this feature would ruin the game.

It does not correspond with the need for playing attacking vs. defensive play. Playing attacking play of cause you would want Beckham to play many through balls, have high creative freedom etc. but when you are defending or even ultra defending, even though Beckham is a great passer you would want him (and the rest of your players) not to play those through balls to avoid loosing possesion and you certainly would not want him to have high creative freedom. Please defend our lead along with the rest of the team!

Introducing this kind of override flag on a player level will make it impossible to enforce a defensive tactic without then having to go into each and every player and remove those overwrite-instructions. E.g. in the end of the game i would want Newcastle to play defensively, but due to the overwrite-instructions Beckham would still be running around passing long balls. Instead, what you would do is to create copies of tactics e.g. "4-4-2 Beckham" and "4-4-2 Jonas" etc.

The idea might work if you dont really change tactics during a game, but for everybody else who is actually changing their playing style during a match, this feature would ruin the game.

But if that is your 'management style' then you wouldn't set up the player role, you would leave it all free and it wouldn't affect you at all.

As IOMLS says, if this feature isn't for you, then you turn it off and ignore it. It being in the game makes no difference to those who are happy with the current method of manually making instruction changes every time in this sort of situation.

As stated in a later post, there needs to be an easy way for the overwrite instructions to be modified or turned on/off when in the formations screen. This is common sense, and if SI were ever to implement the idea of instructions for the player on top of instructions for the position, it's logical that they'd have to come up with a solution whereby modifying a position instruction allows you to see and modify any overwriting individual instructions. E.g. ghost sliders, or different coloured sliders/checkboxes, or icons, for positional instructions that are being overwritten.

For the rest of us, this feature is something we're missing, and as a result we're having to make constant repetitive changes every time we rotate or substitute players. There needs to be a solution for this "problem", because it's a fundamental annoyance within the match day game. Whatever that solution is, I'm sure many of us will be happy with having it if it's user-friendly and reduces the need for manual instruction changes so repetitively.

Archived