What's the 'best' FM Match Engine?

Ignore the CM's, focus on the FM's!

My 2 personal favorite's were 07 and 12, 10 was good and 09 wasn't too bad. I've enjoyed 2014 but not that much, the start was really awkward but even now I just find myself tired of it. I've managed a 7 season save on it, took aston villa to the title in my 4th season, UCL in the 6th. I just end up frustrated at 14 way too much to ever enjoy it.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest El Payaso

FM 09 I think. I had brilliant saves with Wolves in EPL (defended and won the games like 1 or 2-0 but didn't overperform that much, it was a short save though) and also with Mexican and Finnish national teams. Lead Finland to the 2010 world championship with solidest defending I've ever seen in the game. I think that it had the best balance generally and attacking and defending players performed quite equally. In lower leagues the defending was a bit off but not that much.

The potential of the current ME is huge- the game is clearly trying to do things that indicate how much further along the development process it is, but not always succeeding, and the balance isn't quite there yet. It's not far off, and I think by the final patch it'll probably be the best one.

The FM12 engine, despite its obvious flaws, was an absolute blast.

And if memory serves, there was one (very brief and very quickly fixed) iteration of the FML engine which was hilarious, because somehow goalkeepers were pretty much entirely neutered by accident, and they all became as useful between the sticks as a sack of potatoes. For about two hours until it was patched again, everyone on the server suddenly played 0-5-5.

FM12 > ALL

I simply enjoyed watching my matches on extended. Didn't play FM13 at all but on FM14 the extended highlights start with corner after corner and it becomes very dull after a while. FM12 was always interesting to watch and I actually noticed the changes in my teams performance over the course of a season.

12 didn't have many bugs that I can recall, especially compared to the current one anyway.

Guest El Payaso
^^ this.
It's a bit off-topic but same here too. It's been just as I feared when the tactics system changed; not enough verstility in the new system and when I go to tactics area I see 50k other managers using exactly same tactics as I do, not really rewarding for me. Miss those times when I had completely unique style of play and could go to UCL games with confidence on my defence. Of course not winning all the time but knowing exactly how my team plays or tries to play everytime. After FM 09 especially those European ties have been just 'random' and more or less about scoring goals for fun instead of both managers thinking tactically and being cautious.

What's the 'best' FM Match Engine?

The current one.

No idea why people say FM12. It was horrific. Just play a loan striker and you were quids in due to the central defenders, (if there was two of them), not picking him up. Add to the fact that collision detection hadn't yet been brought into the game, it meant that players could literally run through other players.

If you wanted the game to be simple, then FM12 was for you.

I never bought fm13, I probably should say that. I felt that it was pointless leaving 12 when I had 5 saves I really did care about - 1 of which I created a Barca control tactic that crushed all before it XD. I think the simplicity is gone, where we had sliders and the option to instruct players to do different things anyway. FM14 is meticulous, simple thing's that are left make you end up struggling against other teams. Decent teams with good players can no longer dominate with quality and it feels fiddly. I was playing FM10 earlier, that seems like a good ME.

I'm not sure what to expect in FM15, will be interesting to see how it goes anyway.

The current one.

No idea why people say FM12. It was horrific. Just play a loan striker and you were quids in due to the central defenders, (if there was two of them), not picking him up. Add to the fact that collision detection hadn't yet been brought into the game, it meant that players could literally run through other players.

Or maybe people just enjoyed it more? I agree it had some defending weaknesses but I certainly wouldn't call it "horrific" - I don't think the defensive issues in '12 were any worse than the own goals and defensive headers I've experienced in '14. Every version has had different issues and different strong points.

It's not like collision detection has been a roaring success since it was introduced either - it's definitely improved things but it hasn't eliminated the previous problems entirely (yet).

Or maybe people just enjoyed it more? I agree it had some defending weaknesses but I certainly wouldn't call it "horrific" - I don't think the defensive issues in '12 were any worse than the own goals and defensive headers I've experienced in '14. Every version has had different issues and different strong points.

It's not like collision detection has been a roaring success since it was introduced either - it's definitely improved things but it hasn't eliminated the previous problems entirely (yet).

Players could run through one another. That to me was horrific.

The current one.

Maybe yeah, but there's many people out there that enjoyed it. The fun element of FM is vital, I've been playing it for years - since 01. Yet 2014 just seems sort of bland, and anything you even try to change means that your side needs a month just to get used it to it! That was a pain in the backside - my team playing without any idea about their tactics even with good coaching, them learning took forever. Maybe it is just me, but I don't it fun in any sense. FM12 being simple as it was, meant you could improve your team and your tactics without any real stress. I can say I did well on 14 but its just not for me :)

Maybe yeah, but there's many people out there that enjoyed it. The fun element of FM is vital, I've been playing it for years - since 01. Yet 2014 just seems sort of bland, and anything you even try to change means that your side needs a month just to get used it to it! That was a pain in the backside - my team playing without any idea about their tactics even with good coaching, them learning took forever. Maybe it is just me, but I don't it fun in any sense. FM12 being simple as it was, meant you could improve your team and your tactics without any real stress. I can say I did well on 14 but its just not for me :)

I'm sorry but hat's just not true at all. Me thinks you put far too much emphasis on tactic familiarity.

Yet 2014 just seems sort of bland, and anything you even try to change means that your side needs a month just to get used it to it!

This is another of these tiresome rhetorics that spiral out of control because they're posted so often on here. It's not that much of a big deal in all actuality. Apart from anything else, the AI teams are all also affected by tactical famililarity so are 'disadvantaged' just as much as you when they change. And they do, often.

Guest El Payaso
Players could run through one another. That to me was horrific.
I think that they do it also in the current engine. I don't use 3D but I've seen that a lot in videos that are posted on Youtube. Winger runs with ball straight at the defender and suddenly is 3-4 feet away from him with the ball and getting free shot inside the penalty area... For example in this video:
In about 5:05...

I remember 2012 Match Engine being decent but dribbling was quite overpowering in that one too, remember having a save with Birmingham and Nathan Redmond and Aaron Lennon just destroyed the whole Premierleague when they were in a mood of playing football.

I think that the 09 match engine was the last one that didn't rely so much on individual skill (in other words long dribbles) and you had to make your team move and pass as an unit to be effective in attack...

Certainly not this one, that's for sure.

Actually it is. Sorry. By quite some distance too.

You have to love all the myriad of reasons why people think the FM12 ME was better. When the reality is that it's because the engine was so fundamentally flawed it made the game very easy. So while it might have looked nice to watch your team win every week with little effort, this certainly didn't make it a better match engine.

This current one is not without its flaws, but it far and away eclipses anything that's gone before. Objectively, it's 100% the best so far from a techinical standpoint - that's a fact, and subjectively I think it's the best for actual gameplay too.

A no-brainer if truth be told.

I want what you're smoking!!!! this one is horrific. It is near impossible to score from corners. AI Corners go in every single game. AI GKs are like Cech, Buffon at their very best every game. Freekicks that rarely even stay on target. atrocious first touch.

It is near impossible to score from corners. AI Corners go in every single game. AI GKs are like Cech, Buffon at their very best every game. Freekicks that rarely even stay on target. atrocious first touch.

The ME is the same for you as it is for the AI, so all of that is just whining nonsense. Anyway, best to continue that side of the discussion on the feedback thread otherwise this one will just get closed.

This is another of these tiresome rhetorics that spiral out of control because they're posted so often on here. It's not that much of a big deal in all actuality. Apart from anything else, the AI teams are all also affected by tactical famililarity so are 'disadvantaged' just as much as you when they change. And they do, often.

All I'm saying is it affected my team in a negative fashion for 7 few games when I changed from fluid to rigid. With the decent coaches, match prep as well, it just took too long before things were at all rigid. I'm not sat here saying 'the 1000 things wrong with fm 2014' - just that one thing. I've never really seen one team unfamiliar with tactics as far as the AI is concerned, simply because its not actually visible to a 'player'.

FM 12 EASILY if you don't exploit it with cheat tactics...realistic matches/results and no weird things... After FM 12 the only thing we have is a "beach ball" game because ball moves like that. They clearly lost the right direction after FM 12 with the match engine.

Actually it is. Sorry. By quite some distance too.

You have to love all the myriad of reasons why people think the FM12 ME was better. When the reality is that it's because the engine was so fundamentally flawed it made the game very easy. So while it might have looked nice to watch your team win every week with little effort, this certainly didn't make it a better match engine.

This current one is not without its flaws, but it far and away eclipses anything that's gone before. Objectively, it's 100% the best so far from a techinical standpoint - that's a fact, and subjectively I think it's the best for actual gameplay too.

A no-brainer if truth be told.

Is this the same person who has stated numerous times that he has never been successful on FM? Never really won anything? Yet on FM14 you're winning? :D

If you didn't win on FM12 and you're winning on FM14, doesn't that make FM14 easier?

I also noticed others who have done career thread on FM14 who are saying similar. FM14 is more difficult etc, yet their career threads would suggest otherwise - winning trophy after trophy and nearly going unbeaten during the season. That for me doesn't show the game being difficult.

I think FM14 is one of the easiest if you take into account just how easy it is to pinpoint where your team is going wrong. The TC, combined with all the guides in the TTF, makes it pretty simple to cure actual problems on the pitch.

Edit: Of course, any thread like this is subjective opinion. It's all about what anyone deems to be right for them. There is no 'correct' here or fact. I prefer Coca Cola to Pepsi, just my opinion. Same as here with the game really. Unless the ME was totally bug free (which it'll never be) we can't be objective; we just have an opinion on which version has bugs which we find acceptable and go from there.

Is this the same person who has stated numerous times that he has never been successful on FM? Never really won anything? Yet on FM14 you're winning? :D

I haven't won a single trophy on this version, apart from a lower league title in my current save. I went through seven straight seasons in the Skrill North with Droylsden without winning promotion, have been sacked by Sunderland (twice, once on full game, once on classic), Hibernian and Wigan.

So no, I'm not 'winning'. My current save is going well because I've knuckled down and took the time to get my team playing the way I want, but even then I've just finished mid-table in the Eredivisie - hardly pulling up trees.

All that doesn't detract from the fact I believe the ME in this years game to be better than any previous version. The only one that comes close is the fully patched effort from last year.

Every year's ME is better than the last one, since it comes from the same team of people who are constantly improving it.

Of course changes bring bugs and bugs need fixing, so the current ME will be as good as possible after the next couple of patches.

Every year's ME is better than the last one, since it comes from the same team of people who are constantly improving it.

Of course changes bring bugs and bugs need fixing, so the current ME will be as good as possible after the next couple of patches.

Without wanting to sound argumentative; just because someone is trying to improve something year on year, it doesn't always mean actual improvement. Again, that is subjective.

I haven't won a single trophy on this version, apart from a lower league title in my current save. I went through seven straight seasons in the Skrill North with Droylsden without winning promotion, have been sacked by Sunderland (twice, once on full game, once on classic), Hibernian and Wigan.

So no, I'm not 'winning'. My current save is going well because I've knuckled down and took the time to get my team playing the way I want, but even then I've just finished mid-table in the Eredivisie - hardly pulling up trees.

All that doesn't detract from the fact I believe the ME in this years game to be better than any previous version. The only one that comes close is the fully patched effort from last year.

What about your Sittard save? I'm sure I've seen you post images on here where you are top of the league?

Edit: Also, the bold bit is correct. :D

What about your Sittard save? I'm sure I've seen you post images on here where you are top of the league?

Yeah, that was the 2nd Division. I've been nowhere near top of the Eredivisie yet, despite some great results. I'm confident I'll do well there eventually though, it's a decent set up. I've a few other saves on the go where I'm generally doing quite poorly, but I'm still loving it.

Yeah, that was the 2nd Division. I've been nowhere near top of the Eredivisie yet, despite some great results. I'm confident I'll do well there eventually though, it's a decent set up. I've a few other saves on the go where I'm generally doing quite poorly, but I'm still loving it.

Did you ever achieve the 'success' you're seeing here in any other version? I'm sure I have seen you state that you haven't? Did you succeed on FM12?

I know we disagree with the ball physics thing, which is fine to disagree on something. I just think the criticism of FM12 is way over the top considering there are quite a few flaws with FM14. I'm dying to get a long term save going on it because it does have potential, but I'm just not happy with the way it looks yet.

Without wanting to sound argumentative; just because someone is trying to improve something year on year, it doesn't always mean actual improvement. Again, that is subjective.

Indeed!

However what generally happens with FM imo is that there is a general improvement every year, with general basic stuff being added/improved and in the same time an introduction of smaller, more "specific" issues due to the bigger changes. These issues usually take until the last patch to be ironed out.

I'm not saying that's a good strategy necessarily but that's what I believe is going on..

Did you ever achieve the 'success' you're seeing here in any other version? I'm sure I have seen you state that you haven't? Did you succeed on FM12?

I rarely go top division sides, so I never actually win anything, and my saves aren't ususally long-term enough for me to build a team from the bottom to win everything. However, on FM12 I probably had more 'success' than any previous version since 01/02. I was never sacked across any of my saves, and I had a Notts County save where I won promotion in the first season, losing just one match. I couldn't really get into it after that. In total I had around 400 hours on FM12. The players I could sign for small clubs from day 1 coupled with the ton of exploits (that I tried hard to avoid) just made the whole thing far too easy. But that's just my opinion.

Archived