Falling in love with clubs you have managed in FM...?

Has anyone fallen in love with a club they have managed in FM?

I have read on the forum before about people who have bought things like the latest shirt of the side they are managing or maybe a scarf or other souvenir. I also remember reading about one guy who managed a BSS team and then started going to watch them week in, week out, as he found out that the club was close to where he lived (I think it was Fisher?)

Have you perhaps adopted a side based on one of your FM saves or at least built up an allegiance to a club that you've managed?

Post your stories and the clubs you have fallen in love with because of FM here. The more obscure the club - the better as far as I'm concerned! :)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brighton & Hove Albion :thup:

Not the easiest team to follow when you're not living in England, since they don't exactly get a lot of attention from the foreign press :D

I do remember though, that things were actually going well for them at one point, but then they chose to sell Bobby Zamora to Spurs :(

I'm a River Plate fan because of CM 00/01 andCM 03/04. They had players like Ortega, Saviola, Pablo Aimar, D'Alessandro, Mascherano, Lucho Gonzalez, Celso Ayala, Cavenaghi and German Lux. Even went as far as to have a shirt imported from Argentina with my name on the back. Love that shirt wear it to almost every training session or kickabout I have.

NK Belisce of Croatia. Had fun with them on FM08, turned them into title challenges from the second division in a few years.

I was distraught to find they actually got relegated last year, so won't be managable now. Hopefully they'll get promoted straight away after holidaying for a year, and I'll take them back to where I think they belong :D

Always look out for Scarborough's results after I managed them in their last FM (had to reform at the end of the season irl), delighted to see that the reformed club, Scarborough Athletic now in step 6 on the non league finally seem to be getting somewhere after a horrible few years and are cruising at the top of the Northern Counties East Division 1, they won 6-0 yesterday :D

Hull !

A fantastic long-term game made me a huge fan of them (searching over the internet the player names...as well as watching team performances over youtube

Jamie, dont lose your time with that kind of team...why dont u try a non "pecho frio" ,as we call it in Argentina, side like Boca Juniors :p?

I definitely have a soft spot for Swansea after my exploits with them in FM06, FM07 and FM08 (just a great club to play as). I had a mate a few years ago who gave up supporting Man U to follow Rushden & Diamonds after playing a marathon game as them in CM01-02

I would say yes, I am fond of Stafford in the BSN after playing them as my first team ever in FM. I have become a big fan of Hibs in Scotland after managing them in 07 and 08. I always look for those two teams scores after my beloved Derby County of course.

'Falling in love' is a bit strong, but I do look out for the results of a diverse range of teams thanks to games I've had on CM/FM over the years. In particular, I'm now fond of Barnsley, Morecambe, Panathinaikos and Dinamo Moscow.

I'd also like to add the following: Although this topic has been raised before, kudos to crouchaldinho for starting a thread that isn't about the demo. This is rapidly becoming the 'Demo Discussion' forum.

Hoffenheim in Germany. Started with them when they were a small Regionaliga side a few years back. Not as much fun playing with them now as they're in the German top flight although I always end up with a save game with them, I still check their results every weekend and even joined a fan forum even though my German language skills are ordinary to say the least.

I'm probably the only Hoffenheim fan in Australia :)

I follow Droysden pretty religously from over here in Australia because of FM, it was either 05 or 06 when I was looking for a lower league club to manage, I seen their nickname which I liked (The Bloods), I then did a little research on the club which impressed me and have followed since then.

Dave Pace is a legend down there and rightfully so with the job he's done and when I play them on FM I always edit him in as the Chairman.

I'm reasonably active on their forums and even have one of their FA Cup shirts hopefully arriving soon, with a bit of luck we can beat Darlington to progress to round two and maybe get a bit of TV coverage.

I was blessed last year with games on Setanta in the Blue Square Premier even though they had a bad year it was still great to be able to see them in the flesh, this year as they are in the Blue Square North its alot harder to get footage but I get to see the occassional highlights package on Channel M and other internet feeds.

My god yes!!

My 3rd fav team in the world now (behind Sydney FC & Liverpool FC) is Basingstoke Town. I'm actually a member of the clubs and last year paid 50 quid to put my name on a seat at the ground!! I love the club now, have a season ticket, but, have never been to a game! I may love them to death, but I'm not flying 20 odd hours from Australia to see them play!

but will for sure on my next visit.

Got a soft spot for Grimsby. Someone was on here moaning about what a terrible game FM08 was because he couldn't win with them so uploaded a game for a few of us to try out. Rock bottom, I ended up 7 points clear of relegation, then carried on next season and got them promoted via the playoffs. The Villa poached me, but I still look back on that save with great affection and look out for the results whenever I can.

That and Juventus, whom I managed that season they were relegated with points deducted. They were a superpower within 5 years.

Yep. Leyton Orient, Crewe, Lincoln City, Grimsby Town and I am not even British :)

That explains why you like them then, no one else does. I think football manager is helping to promote unknown teams around the world though, which is a good thing.

One of the teams I like to manage now is Juventus and I hope they win Serie A this year too.

In a 4 player network game that was in the Spanish League in 1999 I was last to pick and ended up with Valencia who were managed IRL by Claudio Raneri.

2008 and I'm a member of The Che fan club and regularly visit websites and forums to do with them. I love playing FM with the mighty Che!

St Albans City

I am a Singaporean, without football manager, I will not know Blue Square South. And now, I even try to know their results in the BSS in the real life now.

Wahey! The only known Saints Fan in Singapore! :D

Anything you want to know about the Saints, I will help!

I will try and let you know if there is any video highlights or online commentary in the future as there sometimes is coverage on the Internet.

Archived