Falling in love with clubs you have managed in FM...?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although i haven't kept tabs on them yet having only started the file on sunday, im slowly growing towards millwall after i started in december with them being 21st in league one on fm07. Still only 18th after 2 loses, 3 draws and about 5 wins but only 6 points behind 10th with 2 games in hand. Only brought in Johenassen and Mattisson? on a free with the club having no money however poul Huarz? or something along them lines has scored 18 goals and continues to. Been a real nerve racking game and will probably inspire me to manage another lower league team once i spend a few seasons in the premiership or when i buy fm09.

St Pauli in the German second division.

Had a great time with them in FM08 and a bloke at work told me that they're a cult club with a unique fanbase. Have since read up a lot about them and this month's World Soccer describes them as having the biggest cult following in Europe.

Trying to arrange a trip to Hamburg to watch them.

I'm not argentininan (Spanish), but i think they use pechofrio to refer "cold" players who don't get involved much with the team. The ones that didn't get angry after a defeat, o don't give the 100% on the field. Also used to the kind of player that hides on important matches.

Thats somehow accurate. We also call people like this when, for example, a striker scores 4 goals against a lower side team and does nothing against important teams

Damian, im curious as to what 'pecho frio' means? loads of stuff on the internet about it but cant find a translation. Could never support Boca though, I think you learn to dislike teams as well as like them through fm. Love Tevez and Martin Palermo though. Los Millonarios all the way :D. Do you live in Argentina? Always wondered what it was like to go to a match over there. Always looks mental when I see it on youtube etc.

Correct, I live in Argentina. You definitely should come over here to see one of the Boca-River matches. Taking the "pecho frio " definition it actually comes from cold chest, sort of lack of heart when playing matches or as i said before, do nothing in special matches and scoring or playing superb against team that are crap at defense.

I grew quite fond of QPR in FM08. I got them up to the Premiership in the first season, Champions League qualification in my fourth season. By the end of 9 seasons when I retired, I had won two titles, two FA Cups, one League Cup and one Champions League. Pretty good going with QPR. I always like to win all four trophies at least once before I quit a game. I keep a look out for their results in real-life now.

This has turned into a great thread and I'm really enjoying hearing all of these stories about how FMers have come to adopt new clubs. Good to hear some obscure ones too and not always the usual suspects. :)

There has got to be someone, though, who has bought a scarf or replica shirt or something to wear while playing FM. :D

This has turned into a great thread and I'm really enjoying hearing all of these stories about how FMers have come to adopt new clubs. Good to hear some obscure ones too and not always the usual suspects. :)

There has got to be someone, though, who has bought a scarf or replica shirt or something to wear while playing FM. :D

Wanted to buy? Yes! Actually bought? Unfortunately, no... I live in the US and it seems impossible to buy jerseys for lower league teams anywhere, even online.

Well, I would love to get my hands on a Dagenham and Redbridge jersey. Also, Polish side Gornik Zabrze. Another problem is it would probably cost me an arm and a leg to ship it.

I would have thought that you could easily get the Dagenham and Redbridge jersey. I bet they would love to think they've got someone wearing their shirt in America. :) Don't know how much it would be to ship. Might make it quite expensive I suppose.

Not sure about the Polish side. You might have to learn the language for that!

I took over Rotherham United after a disappointing league 1 campaign with Brighton which eventually led to relegation on FM07 (Rotherham came down with us). I managed to steady there ship after a few season in League 2 and then began to rise up the leagues winning the League 1 title and a play off victory to the Premiership in 2011/12 i was playing Inter Milan and Werder Bremen in the Champions League group stages, Signed a french striker called Amadou Alassane from Le Havre who got me 20/30 goals a season until he retired. After that ive kind of followed Rotherham aswel as my beloved Norwich City.

Valencia, i first got into them in cm01/02 because of aimar and them beating the mighty leeds in IRL. now fully support valencia. went to see some games of theirs when i lived in spain. now practically only ever manage los ches. although fm08 was reasonably easy for los ches the demo suggests a bit of a struggle on fm09.

Had a great save game with Brighton on the original Domark game. Bought Giggs, Bart-Williams, Lee Sharpe etc and won the prem about 15 times in succession. Those were the days... You could play 2 D C, 1 DM C, 1 M C, 1 AM C and 5 S C and win every game 10 - 0. Brilliantly realistic 'T' formation before the days of AI. Used to love the old vidiprinter also. Classic.

This

I follow Droysden pretty religously from over here in Australia because of FM, it was either 05 or 06 when I was looking for a lower league club to manage, I seen their nickname which I liked (The Bloods), I then did a little research on the club which impressed me and have followed since then.

Dave Pace is a legend down there and rightfully so with the job he's done and when I play them on FM I always edit him in as the Chairman.

I'm reasonably active on their forums and even have one of their FA Cup shirts hopefully arriving soon, with a bit of luck we can beat Darlington to progress to round two and maybe get a bit of TV coverage.

I was blessed last year with games on Setanta in the Blue Square Premier even though they had a bad year it was still great to be able to see them in the flesh, this year as they are in the Blue Square North its alot harder to get footage but I get to see the occassional highlights package on Channel M and other internet feeds.

And this

My god yes!!

My 3rd fav team in the world now (behind Sydney FC & Liverpool FC) is Basingstoke Town. I'm actually a member of the clubs and last year paid 50 quid to put my name on a seat at the ground!! I love the club now, have a season ticket, but, have never been to a game! I may love them to death, but I'm not flying 20 odd hours from Australia to see them play!

but will for sure on my next visit.

are the absolute genius of the game.

Brilliant stuff lads, those clubs are lucky to have you.

I agree dunstablesucks.

I also agree with your username. Dunstable does suck. I haven't been there lately but it was a big pile of poo when I last went. :D

My infantile behaviour aside, I think FM has this wonderful ability to capture the imagination of people.

Whenever I go on holiday or visit anywhere, I always make a note of the local teams - the more obscure and lower league, the better - in case I decided to manage them on FM!

Never fell in love with any team but I did build up a real hate for certain clubs, like Roma (01/02) probably coz they are just unstoppable, they won 4 Serie A and 3 Champs Leagues in a row, me finishing 2nd in both competitions except for the first Champs League when they knocked me out in the Semi-final, and you think you have a chance when they've got Totti and Montella injured, but they just steamroll everyone.

Halifax Town FC. I have played them in every game since CM4 I believe. I have had them up to prem previously, but managed to get them up to being a middle of the road Championsip team in FM08 in 7 seasons.

I was devasted when they went into administration, as now I cant play with them unless I fiddle with the editor. I don't like to do that though!

I am deciding on a BSN team for the new season. Tending towards Redditch or Harrogate Town.

I can't manage southern teams, it just doesnt feel right! So if anyone has any suggestions on team from the NW or Yorkshire, let me know :)

When i'm not managing my fav team in Greece, P.A.O.K. Salonika, I like to manage lower league clubs in england.

I think it was CM4 or FM05 when i chose to play Nott'am Forest! I have a save game with them ever since!

Commons you are damn fat! :D

hehe my story is slightly different so it may not count but I think I can probably go one better then most of you :D

I actually started taking an interest in following the Brazilian club, Internacional around 10-12 years ago but I didn't begin to follow their results because of FM (or CM as it was then).

Anyway, FM has definately help me get become familiar with the players and other clubs in Brazil and has helped me gain a much stronger knowledge of the club and leagues etc. So much so, that earlier this year I began an English language (I don't speak Portuguese) blog about the club. It's the only reguarly updated English language site about the club it features daily news, highlights, news, opinion and other features. It also has previews, round up's and usually highlights of each round of games from the other clubs in the Brazilian championship.

Anyway I began the blog in Spring time and it has been pretty popular so far. It's featured in Porto Alegre's (Internacional's city) biggest selling newspaper, I've been interviewed for the official club magazine and I've recently began writing a weekly piece for a popular supporters blog on the Globo (a huge media company) website. :D

Despite all of this, I still haven't actually visited Porto Alegre (Southern Brazil) but I most definatley do plan on visiting in the future where I hope to get a warm reception!

FM didn't lead me to supporting the club, but it most certainly helped me.

Always wanted to do that Ter... It must be fun managing San Marino club and country, trying to get to Serie A and win some games with the national team (or score some goals for that matter).

I read a commentary some days ago that I think would have some acceptation, wich said that there could be an option to begin with a club AND a nation (i.e. San Marino). I know I would love to have that chance...

On the shirt subject, altough I'm from Portugal I always play as spurs. When a friend of mine - who I still play FM with - went to London for Christmas some 14 years ago, I obviously asked him a lilywhite shirt. The money I gave him wasn't enough for it so he bought me the 2nd kit - the yellow one - and, with the rest of the money, bought me a Notts County shirt, wich I knew nothing.

Because of that, for the first time I decided to start a solo career, with Notts County, and it was one of my all-time favourites. Since then I always start a solo career in a former-great-now-in-distress club. The latest being Queen's Park FC, who I think will be a love connection.

Still have the magpies shirt and still follow their results, but ever since big sam's exit the allure is not the same...

I once had a very good save going on (it was FM06) and I got the job of Cardiff City. During that time I have to go to Wales for my work very often and visit Cardiff, since then I follow them and during weekends in which they play I look up how they are doing on the Inet.

Still hoping to attend a game irl once (stil travelling much to Wales so who knows..)

Elgin city and Bognor Regis are now my second favorites after Notts County.

Ditto with Bognor Regis. Got them promoted to the Blue Square Premier on FM 07 and my grandad has links with Bognor so I have a soft spot for them.

Archived