Falling in love with clubs you have managed in FM...?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest roberto922

On December 25th I will be the proud owner of an AFC Wimbledon shirt :D My mums ordered one for £38 off their website but I have to wait until Christmas. I might even get to watch them at the Racecourse if they get promoted next season :)

Thats somehow accurate. We also call people like this when, for example, a striker scores 4 goals against a lower side team and does nothing against important teams

Correct, I live in Argentina. You definitely should come over here to see one of the Boca-River matches. Taking the "pecho frio " definition it actually comes from cold chest, sort of lack of heart when playing matches or as i said before, do nothing in special matches and scoring or playing superb against team that are crap at defense.

Like Cristiano Ronaldo? :)

I've got a soft spot for San Marino (national team and club team) and hope to get a replica shirt and even go to a game if possible.

i'd like to think that you do have a soft spot for them seeing as you run a challenge about them... ;)

Pescara, played them in the first CM Italy and then about 6 or 7 times since, never emulated original success (serie A win) or even got close, now awaiting the Pescara site to start selling the shirt online as can't get it anwhere and its a bit far from my house to pop to the stadium shop as i live in the UK.

I played Hull extensively in '07 and '08. It's kind of weird knowing that much about a team without ever having seen them play. I did some research and found they had a pretty good online community (I'm across the pond), so I became a fan and followed their great run last season. Sadly, they promoted and are now in the same league as Everton. Maybe I'll pick a League 2 team this year so there's less of a chance of that happening.

Still, I can't help but cheer when the Tigers tackle a much more established team.

My first ever venture into lowish league management was with Leyton Orient back in the old Champ days - but because of it being a save I had for ages and done really well with I have grown a small affection for them! Even found myself when putting my coupen on at the bookies looking for the O's first to see what odds I'd get....probably lost me more money than I won tho!!

• 1 year later...

Elfsborg (Sweden), Sarmiento de Junin (Argentina), Lurgan Celtic (N.Ireland), Happy Valley (HK), Fukien (HK) - I had some really enjoyable saves with these teams on past FM's (currently with Fukien) and always try to look out for their scores. I'll only ever support one team though...that's the mighty Nott'm Forest :D

Eastbourne Borough and AFC Wimbledon, helped along by the fact that I grew up near Eastbourne and was born a few miles from Wimbledon.

The big one, though, was Liverpool. 14 years as a Manchester United fan, and suffering from disillusionment due to Ronaldo's sulking, Fergie's moaning and winning all the time (which is actually terribly boring, just think of Michael Schumacher), I found myself drawn more and more to Liverpool, a club which I've always had a closeted affection for since I was a kid, and I started up a game as them on FM09. That pretty much sealed it, and I'm a full-blown Liverpool convert now.

I took an interest in swiss football after going on holiday there, and after playing FM05 with BSC Young Boys I bought a replica shirt when I went again and I also went to the very first competitive match at their new stadium, which unfortunatly wasn't Young Boys but Thun vs. Dynamo Kiev, and to fit in with the red I bought a swiss replica shirt

Empoli FC

Managed them in FM2005 and have always made them my first save every year. I check their website every week to check how they progress and have tried (with limited success) to get an Empoli shirt. Forza Empoli!

Also Second Division side Kristiansund BK in Norway, as I used Frank to find them and took them to the Champions League on FM06 on the Xbox360.

I had a mate a few years ago who gave up supporting Man U to follow Rushden & Diamonds after playing a marathon game as them in CM01-02

ha ha. i also began 'following' rushden & diamonds after enjoying a very successful spell with them in CM01/02.

i even got a mate to buy me a replica shirt off ebay and i used to wear it whilst playing!:o

strange behaviour for a bradford city season ticket holder. i tend to always try to stick to the bantams whilst playing now for fear of temptation again!:D

Where to start:-

Celtic

AC Milan

Ajax

Boca Juniors

Recently fell in love with Anderlect due to a network game over the last couple of weeks.

Now the smaller teams:-

DC United

Melbourne Victory - Even seen them a couple of times after moving to Melbourne for 9 months. Got my shirt when seeing them play Suwon Dragons(I think) in the Asian Champions League.

Tiverton Town

Elgin

Weston Super Mare

Nope - raised into a family of Man Utd fans and will always be Red Devil.

I can admire other teams in certain aspects but it will never go any further than that. FM has never contributed towards admiration for teams for me, though it certainly has widened my player knowledge. As part of this, I find myself looking for the same players because they are some of my favourites in the game and when you hear them making a name for themselves IRL, it's quite pleasing to see (as hard as that is to describe!).

Normally I end up doing it the other way round, where I play as random teams ive got a soft spot for, for other reasons; FC Vaduz, Suwon Bluewings, etc. But the one exception is Lincoln City. Despite being a Barnet fan, theyre always the first team I play as each time a new version of FM comes out. I love going to Sincil Bank for the Barnet away game, and have always been tempted to go and watch them whenever they play in London. Bought a keyring from the clubshop, but not (as yet) a scarf or a shirt. Sadly, was looking at their online shop a coupla days ago though, might have to pick one up!

My mate suggested we try managing in the Welsh league, not knowing anything about that league I chose TNS at random, not knowing they were the Celtic of the welsh league, I fell in love with them and now follow every one of their games and I am following the career of their greatest right winger in history, Mr Steven Beck who has left them for Droyslden and I sign him for every team I manage, even if I end up at a Prem team and offer him good wages to sit on the bench.

Banfield in Argentina since 01/02 - Even bought a Jersey and Tracksuit bottoms online! Made them pretty much invincible in that game which is where my love for them stems from. I'll be going to Argentina in the next 6/9 months and if they're playing I will make the pilgrimage to the Florencio Sola

Penarol in Uruguay in FM 2008 -Had a great ten year game with them. Since it's just across the River Plate may try and visit the Centenario for a Penarol game too :) :)

Alania Vladikavkaz from Russia in FM 2008 - Took them from the Russian First League to Quarters of the Champions League in five years. Have to get a jersey.

I've fallen for clubs in the past but always seem to replace them with another one when the next version of the game comes out. In the past I've followed Sunderland (bought their shirt), Wolves, Betis, Dortmund (bought their shirt) and even St. Mirren despite being an Aberdeen fan.

But mostly I'm thankful to FM for getting me interested in the MLS. I've played in that league in every FM possible and I love it.

Guest roberto922

AFC Wimbledon is still the only team I started following after playing them in FM08, will see how my career with Fleetwood goes though, doubt I'll make the Prem with them though tbh.

Archived