FM11 - a gap year

Felt compelled to post this - I find the FM11 demo to be horrible. I stuck with 07 til FM10, which is the best ever - and it looks like I'll be sticking with FM10 for the next year.

Player interaction is seriously horrible, and the whole transfer system has been utterly destroyed I had to bid 80mil to get an offer for Milito accepted :eek: - not to mention the ridiculously over the top signing on and agent fees

I know people will say new features take a while to iron out - but look at team talks and press conferences, they will never change - it is always the same old crap every year!

I'm just shocked at the state of games coming out today.. the last couple of games I have bought have been terrible - Fifa is buggy as hell, Fallout New Vegas is almost unplayable and now this new FM has been turned upside down from the great FM10... sometimes i think its no wonder people pirate these games - why pay for beta software?

Anyone else sticking with FM10 for the next year? :cool:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just about to post a similar thread. Instead of wating for the 2nd or 3rd patch to come out, I was thinking of waiting for the 2nd/3rd edition after this release before I bought again.

I dont see enough in the game for me to want to buy it. Granted the DLR is a huge thing for me and i was looking forward to putting some serious time in to test it. But the game is let down with the other new features. The interaction module is a good idea, but could be better. More interation options, especially where manager interaction is concerned! After CL and cup games, I cant comment on the actual match in any way shape or form, and renders the manager interaction a little pointless. Its either, 'I hate you, Mourinho!' or 'I want to have your babies, Mourinho!'

News of a new set peice creator was another thing which nearly had me creaming in my pants... but there was no such thing. Nuff sed.

Training is still awaiting to be scrapped... not revameped, or tweaked, or slightly modified. Dump it and bring back the training catagories like 'Piggy in the middle'.

Upping vids to YouTube is a brilliant idea, but I really couldnt care any less about almalgamating my game with Tw*tter (insert your own vowel) and Facefook. Granted, I am an occasional user of one of the mentiond sites but I do not see how these are relelvant to the core game play in any way and this is what you should really be concerntrating on instead of social networking. If I want people to know I've just won the Champions League with Stamford Daniels FC, I will announce it. But then again, not everyone has the interest in such sites.

Im not going to comment on the ME, as I cant. I refuse to use the 3D view, rarely using 2D also. I stick with commentary view, since before either of these were implimented was when I enjoyed CM/FM the most.

The UI has taking a bit of a backwards step also for me. Everything feels too cramped. Home screen should never have been changed from FM09 and I'm not a big fan of the new news/inbox. The inbox really needs to be fully customisable so 'I' dictate what does in. I dont care if some moomin from League 2 has been sacked/hired. All I want to know is how my club/players/staff/transfer tagets are. A seperate news screen should automatically come into view dependant on how big the new is (or how it is customised). Eg. 'Messi moved to Real Madrid for 50TrillionBillionSquillion' = Big news. Something I 'could' care bout. --Flipside-- 'Tony Adams is hired as manager at Hartlepool' = Next to no news... and so on. News would e better if it was catagorised not only on relevancy but on severity. So in the example, Messi news would be, say, 'Class10 news' as he is a renowned player in a renowed league siging for a renowned club for a large amount of cash. Adams would be 'Class1 news' in such as that nobody cares, other than Hatlepool and whether you're managing in that league. Then class5 could be something like when Craig Bellamy went to Cardiff, not massive news, but something definately out of the ordinary. I think this could be a possible better system. Also, to me it looks a little tacky that all new is in speech bubbles.

But again to OP, I may not even get next years release, It purely depends on next seasons demo, or what feedback I get when I post asking the question regarding the game post patch 3 for this year.

Before people bitch, not a rant, I love FM. There just isnt enough 'good' new things or reworked old things in the game to warrent me spending £30 on this title this year. Last years 'polish' was enough in order to buy it, but the game doesnt really seemed to have moved very far forward.

Just sideways.

SI need to learn that a new-feature is not a visual represntation of what we currently have (see set-piece creator).... when I can go into the detail that REAL managers can go into (MR right wing, preventing the overhit corner from going out of play)

AMC on the edge of the area, ready to distribute the half-cleared ball to my pacey striker/winger for a quick counter-attack

I do agree that the news screen does put in a little too much information, and as a big-team manager, i do not care that Crawley Town have signed John Bloggs... however if Chelsea signed John Bloggs then that would be bigger information, as becasue I hadn't heard of him, then he is likely to be a hot prospect

My main gripe is that the players are too select, although with the release of the full game and a large DB with loads of players, then this will be quickly sorted out (means that big teams are limited to a select few that everyone knows about, and small teams cannot cope with the lack of unknown talent about - so whoever continues their demo save, can they please let me know?)

Interaction - NEVER going to be perfect, until FM can understand English/other languages (but then there's still going to be a spanner that does this:

This is you're 12th signing this window, can we expect to see any more signings?

Answer: Selects the option of no more players before typing - zat iz ze end ov ar tranzpher bizniz 4 dis yeer

I like the idea of putting videos to youtube, this will help with a bug reporting of a blantant offside not called or something, as well as the fact that some people like to gloat about their 40 yard bullet into the top corner - twitter and facebook, not so much

The 3D has really come on leaps and bounds, but is still not perfect... we are not going to get an engine like FIFA were they basically devote a whole army to working on the physics of the game and making sure that everything looks as it should, and they ignore the gameplay aspect (played a FIFA manager 2010 demo and the signings were so basic... and it seemed to aimed at the 3yo)

I'd like to see some variety in the transfers, maybe the AI signing someone based on the fact that they've done well for a season beforehand, rather than signing someone becasue he's got about 200PA.... I've signed players for 200k and they've performed at around 7.2 for the season, yet cannot offload them for around 3m - when players like Kaka waltz between Real Madrid and Inter Milan for over 20m when his average rating is less than 6.5

It also makes me wonder that my easy tactics (Full back automatic) can produced a player that can average around 7 for consectutive season,s yet he goes to a team (of similar standard in their league) and fails to get above 6.5 - surely full back automatic is not too hard to replicate

Also giving tips to fellow managers would be helpful, I am FED UP (on FM10) to see my striker (who scores for fun in the premiership and champions league - over 60 goals per season) to fail to score in 3 matches at the world cup

Felt compelled to post this - I find the FM11 demo to be horrible. I stuck with 07 til FM10, which is the best ever - and it looks like I'll be sticking with FM10 for the next year.

Player interaction is seriously horrible, and the whole transfer system has been utterly destroyed I had to bid 80mil to get an offer for Milito accepted :eek: - not to mention the ridiculously over the top signing on and agent fees

I know people will say new features take a while to iron out - but look at team talks and press conferences, they will never change - it is always the same old crap every year!

I'm just shocked at the state of games coming out today.. the last couple of games I have bought have been terrible - Fifa is buggy as hell, Fallout New Vegas is almost unplayable and now this new FM has been turned upside down from the great FM10... sometimes i think its no wonder people pirate these games - why pay for beta software?

Anyone else sticking with FM10 for the next year? :cool:

I agree 100% mate. I made a thread myself on player interaction. For me its the worst feature ever. From what I have seen there is an out cry against it with most saying its childish, immature and just silly and repetitive. I am a harcore fm06 player but gave fm10 a chance a few weeks back as bought it last year and just couldt get into it for a few reasons. But since the patch and playing on a bit longer I really got into it. For me its the best so far. I wont be buying fm11 due to the PI. If that gets changed or you have the option to take it out then I may buy FM. I can see mnay people taking the game back over this one feature. Peopel that see the ad on tv and dont come onto the forums.

How great would Fm be if all new features was optional and you could pick and choose your features and game world. And even pick prev interfaces and features land add them all to the new one lol. im dreaming there but that would be breathtaking, So yep Back to fm10 for me. gota get Barnet back into the football league after i editted them into the conference and editted Barnet Legend Grazioli out of retirement. ;-)

Oh and for the guy who talkied about news items. In fm10 you can manage your subscriptions. So not sure if you know about that or not. You can also manage competitions news etc.

I kinda like the demo. It seems more polished at least visually. Its hard to judge the game based on a half season demo with ridiculously low amount of loaded leagues and players. Sure team talks, conferences, player interaction are annoying but if its anything like in the previous version im sure we can just ignore this whole aspect of the game. Hell, this is probably going to be my first year that im using the 3d match. The animations are still a bit silly, but i kinda like it since it looks a bit cartoonish.

There are still a few areas that im disappointed at.

- SI only cares about the English data while all the other countries even major leagues are poorly researched. Its silly how a minor change at liverpool is perceived as a huge bug that must be fixed at once while much bigger mistakes in other leagues can wait for the next major patch.

- The GUI is too damn bright. Stop making it look like mac. The game is played mostly by men so there is no need to use only girly colors. I know women, mac users and certain species of birds are attracted to shiny things but they are not the majority of your costumers. I hope the final game includes a proper dark skin. Without any steam exclusive crap.

- I want my match speed slider back. I know your research has shown that people are stupid and cant figure out what two properly labeled sliders do. Thats their problem. Stop punishing the rest of us for their stupidity.

I agree with the O.P and also what Bradmonk said, I really don't like the new design of the news screen/homepage and it does feel very cramped imo. I was really looking forward to the dynamic league rep too, but there are too many things I don't like at the moment to buy the game this time around, which would be the first time since CM2.

I think there is usually a quite big difference between the pomp with which some features are announced an their actual content. That's perfectly fine and a common marketing practise, but we have to be aware that it's nothing but just that. As customers we should be used to that.

Some examples:

- revamped interaction. A good step forward in so far as there is a communication style now which allows for immediate feedback. Nice not having to wait for a day for a reaction as that was unrealistic. But other than that it's just a new style of interface and there's nothing sensational about it.

- more media and ****. We had this for years now and know what it means. About a 100 new news items, some improving old ones others being genuinely new. Nothing groundbreaking here.

- set piece creator. Huge overstatement as been said often enough before.

- DLR. Very good idea and addition if done well. SI have announced that notable effects may only occur after 15 or 20 years. Thus, assuming that quite few people actually play a save for that long, I think it's fair to say that most people will/should never come across it. And even then there will be no huge shifts, unless SI have screwed it up completely. So again, a very good but hardly noticeable or crap feature.

And so on. The announced top features are those which are perceived to work well in marketing, not those which actually drive us forward a lot.

In my view, the main importance lies on all those little touches and balancing issues which impact the game experience the most. Do transfers and contracts work logically and well? Are there major bugs in the AI management of clubs or in the ME? That kind of stuff. Doesn't do well on DVD covers but is the key to the long-term enjoyment of the game.

Therefore I'd say that this is what we should judge FM11 on and even if the cover features may be average, the core of the game might be improved in a way that will make nobody of us look back. That remains to be seen.

There's no right or wrongs here, only preferences. I loved FM08 (which many people didn't like), didn't like FM09 (which many people enjoyed) and was a bit meh about FM10 (which many people loved). I'm very much looking forward to FM11 which looks truly excellent to me. But it's all down to preferences. FM11 isn't crap, neither was FM10, FM09, FM08, FM07...etc. It's just that some people prefer various versions over others.

I love the new features and the 3d match is now a lot better to watch.

However, I do feel that any new customers, or people returning to the series that played with the default skin would find it a bit poop. I hate the default skin and always have since its introduction a couple years back. The itunes type of look doesn't suit the game one bit and does it no justice. Surely a better default skin can be worked on? I know that we can get numerous skins from elsewhere, but even so.

I'm really surprised by the number of people suggesting that they might take a 'gap year' this year and miss out on FM11 totally.

I guess last year's 'polish' on FM10 felt like such a step forward for the game that many don't want to go back to what they feel might be an 'unpolished' version in FM11.

I always sense that posts like the OP's are by players who can't get their team to beat another 6-0 every game and therefore the game is crap.

This might not be the case of course and I apologise if I've offended the OP or anyone else.

But I say this because I have a competely different view and I just struggle to see how anyone can say this game is not brilliant.

The game, afterall, really is all about the ME, everything else is simply a nice looking excel package, important as that is of course.

This year, for the first time in many, many years of the series, I have actually got a team playing like the real Barca team and it's amazing to watch.

Goals from all over the place, Xavi pulling the strings and Messi on fire. Pedro popping up with vital goals and Puyol thundering into tackles.

I've put a lot of time into the demo to achieve what I wanted and in that time, I've not really looked at the whole game yet, so I've got lots of new features to discover too, which is even more pleasing.

For me, this is the best in years.

I love the new features and the 3d match is now a lot better to watch.

However, I do feel that any new customers, or people returning to the series that played with the default skin would find it a bit poop. I hate the default skin and always have since its introduction a couple years back. The itunes type of look doesn't suit the game one bit and does it no justice. Surely a better default skin can be worked on? I know that we can get numerous skins from elsewhere, but even so.

I didn't like the default skin in FM2010 either.

It's something that SI make very easy to change, so I don't see the issue. I would think everyone customises their game preferences - I would also suggest that the 'unfamiliar computer user playing FM' is a bit of a myth in this day and age.

Overall - the match engine, press conferences, training - all these things are much better in FM2011 for my view when compared to FM2010. I'm still undecided about the agents, but when I've played more in the transfer market I'll have an opinion. I think realistic variety is good, and that's what the new agent and transfer system brings. I certainly can't see myself going back to FM2010 now - or taking a 'gap' year (what a concept, LOL, no offence to anyone!)

So you think a bid of 60mil for Diego Milito would be rejected IRL, as much as the club wanted to keep him? LOL - yeah thats really "realistic"

People were saying the same thing about Cristiano Ronaldo a few versions ago.

• Administrators

Obviously in an ideal world for us everyone would love the demo, but we're glad you've taken the time to post your thoughts on the game. However I have to disagree with some of the examples listed - numerous more strings have gone into press conferences and I don't think you can say the transfer system is totally destroyed because a team specifically don't want to sell a player. Who were you playing as when you tried to sign Milito for £80m? Do Inter actually need any money?

In terms of the skin, a dark skin has been discussed a fair bit already this year, and likewise every year the community comes up with a variety of different skins for all users. That's one of the major benefits of having such a great community - if you disagree with how the skin works or want certain logos in your game it's very likely there's something out there to suit your taste. Personally I've been using the default skin for months whilst testing and my eyes haven't yet burnt out of my face! Saying that I can certainly understand why people would want variety.

I think in the past I got my fingers burned by rushing out on the first day of release and buying a game that usually needed a few patches to make as good as it could be. I now wait until a game has been patched up fully and try and judge by what people are saying if it is worth the investment. So I don't tend to contemplate buying until Jan/Feb time. A demo will give you a very rough idea, but 6 months of gameplay is not enough o tell how things are actually working.

My feeling with new features in that they tend to take time to bed in. The player interaction being an example, it could turn out to be great somewhere down the line - although reading general feedback, this is perhaps optimistic. It is always worth building new elements in - but when first released I find they tend to feel like gimmicks tagged on. Team Talks, press conferences etc. You get the feeling they are they because a new feature was needed, but it takes time to work out why, or what they achieve, or if they are worth having at all. Player agents seem a logical step forward, but feedback here of agents asking £17 million for arranging a £14 million transfer make me wonder if this adds or detracts in it's present guise.

Likewise the ME. First we had 2d then 3d images. For years we were told that all we needed was in the commentary - but then when we could see the matches, it was hard to tell if the commentary was about the same match. Inswinging corners called outswinging, strikers told they should have scored when nearer the corner flags then the goal. It made me questions whether things were actually accurate enough to base decisions on.

But I used them and I enjoy the 3d engine - even though it too doesn't always seem to tie in with the commentary. And the crab like movements of players trying to run at a diagonal....

I guess I'm saying that things are worth a try, if they are implemented as well as they can be and built on to make the gaming experience better over new versions. The new DLR could be one the best introductions in many a year - but we have no way of knowing from a demo. Regens always cause some sort of concern, again, we just don't know how that will turn out. There are some who suggest that time be spent on fixing and improving older features which never quite worked - and I have sympathy with that. But I also know you always need to move forward.

Regards FM11, I won't think about it until at least the new year - hopefully some of the initial feedback will have been acted on by then. I am hopeful that key areas, like training are more logical and intuitive. I read many training threads and no-one can say for sure how the FM10 system works - and I don't think that's right. SFraser's excellent thread on the idea that one click is roughly equal to training for one element (dumbed down explanation) and others that one click is equivalent to one physical block of training - i.e. one hour. Both sounded right, but both couldn't be.

So in recent times, I have skipped some versions (FM09) and delayed getting others (FM08). Perhaps as I get older, I am less forgiving, not willing to overlook issues so much. The FM series is still the best and I really enjoy FM10. But my advice would be, unless you are prepared to re-start games when new patches are released or having to put up with some features that don't feel finished - wait till the new year and see what it's like then. It will be cheaper and more polished and perhaps a better experience for it.

I'm really surprised by the number of people suggesting that they might take a 'gap year' this year and miss out on FM11 totally.

I guess last year's 'polish' on FM10 felt like such a step forward for the game that many don't want to go back to what they feel might be an 'unpolished' version in FM11.

They aren't going to have the Polish leagues in the game this year?? :stupideeksmiley:

I totally agree that the 'polish' while not sounding as fancy as newly introduced features did in essence improve the game way more than something like the DLR will.

I'll be taking a gap year too but that's not related to the quality of FM11 which I still expect to be better than FM10.

I think the player interaction & agent interaction seem like they are unfinished, repetitive & irritating.

I may be alone in saying this but, if I had downloaded the demo and it was basically a revamped FM10 (new skin, new data, expanded Q&A in press conferences, improved backroom advice, improved match engine appearance & a generally a smoother running, 'polished' game) I would have been first in line at Asda or wherever on release day.

Instead I played and find little annoyances, such as the delay when clicking on a score to view match details, and larger annoyances, such as the new interaction formats. And think because of this I will put off buying the game until February, If at all.

I feel as though the proper release of the FM games is really in February now, because this is the first time it feels the finshed article. Maybe, releasing one polished version as described above, with no new features, would reduce the need for major patches (a few bugs will always be present) and let work begin on the next edition without having to concentrate on 'fixing' the edition currently on the market. Meaning that when new features are introduced they are a positive addition rather than an annoyance.

This however, would no doubt mean there would be hundreds of threads saying SI have done nothing and that the new release is simply FM10 in a new wrapper.

You can't please everyone, I for one won't be buying the new game until patch 11.3.

Would love to here a SI opinion on this.

Obviously in an ideal world for us everyone would love the demo, but we're glad you've taken the time to post your thoughts on the game. However I have to disagree with some of the examples listed - numerous more strings have gone into press conferences and I don't think you can say the transfer system is totally destroyed because a team specifically don't want to sell a player. Who were you playing as when you tried to sign Milito for £80m? Do Inter actually need any money?

In terms of the skin, a dark skin has been discussed a fair bit already this year, and likewise every year the community comes up with a variety of different skins for all users. That's one of the major benefits of having such a great community - if you disagree with how the skin works or want certain logos in your game it's very likely there's something out there to suit your taste. Personally I've been using the default skin for months whilst testing and my eyes haven't yet burnt out of my face! Saying that I can certainly understand why people would want variety.

Sorry but I hate this attitude of "download unofficial stuff to suit your taste". I would totally agree if it was a Barnet specific skin or pink text on a lime green background but you guys last year heralded the dark skin as important, and it was, and it was much appreciated, .....and apparantly it was forgotten about for FM 11 (I assume this as I can see no good reason for removing such a popular feature).

Regarding the set piece editor, what a sham! Heralded again as something it isnt.....but to be honest as SI have previously suggested such a full & proper editor would lead almost certainly to ME breaking cheats as another similar game proved last year. Consequently as a tool it serves it purpose as well as can be expected, and I have always requested more "chalkboard" type representations of such features...so I have to say this aspect I find very pleasing but the marketting of it was scandalous in its deceipt.

Sorry but I hate this attitude of "download unofficial stuff to suit your taste". I would totally agree if it was a Barnet specific skin or pink text on a lime green background but you guys last year heralded the dark skin as important, and it was, and it was much appreciated, .....and apparantly it was forgotten about for FM 11 (I assume this as I can see no good reason for removing such a popular feature).

Regarding the set piece editor, what a sham! Heralded again as something it isnt.....but to be honest as SI have previously suggested such a full & proper editor would lead almost certainly to ME breaking cheats as another similar game proved last year. Consequently as a tool it serves it purpose as well as can be expected, and I have always requested more "chalkboard" type representations of such features...so I have to say this aspect I find very pleasing but the marketting of it was scandalous in its deceipt.

tbf FM10 didn't come with a dark skin out of the box either IIRC and it will be in the release day patch now.

Also giving tips to fellow managers would be helpful, I am FED UP (on FM10) to see my striker (who scores for fun in the premiership and champions league - over 60 goals per season) to fail to score in 3 matches at the world cup

So you're managing Wayne Rooney?

(or Fernando Torres).

tbf FM10 didn't come with a dark skin out of the box either IIRC and it will be in the release day patch now.

Yes it did.

To the people berating others who don't like the demo - if they don't like the demo, then they don't like it. Calling what they feel as "absolute rubbish" as point-blank as the examples in this thread smacks of narrow-minded, self-centered idiocy.

I too feel that the demo has shown the changes to FM aren't to my taste, therefore I won't be buying the full game, and if it continues this way, probably won't buy any future versions.

If someone then said to my face "absolute rubbish" as if I didn't have two braincells to rub together, I'd quite honestly smack them. Allow people to have an opinion, rather than a dictatorship along with what you think - "they don't feel the same as me, therefore it's rubbish and they're numbskulls". Get over yourselves.

Saying that the marketing was 'scandalous in its deceit' is using very strong language. However, I do have to agree that the 'revamped training', 'improved interaction' and 'tactics creator' have been described as something they're not. I'm also a bit disappointed that the 'main' feature is the dynamic league reputation, something that can actually be tested by using the demo and therefore gives no idea of how it will actually work in the full game. I also agree with the points in the thread that say it feels like FM10 with a few frankly poorly implemented feature bolted on.

On the other hand, I really like the improvements to the 3D engine, although it does still have a long way to go. The dynamic league reputation is also important to me as I'm hoping to have a long-term save with Celtic in the SPL so hopefully that will match its expectations. I will be buying FM11 for these reasons but if FM12 isn't a big improvement or I feel cheated by the marketing again, I won't be buying that.

Another thread complaining about how they can't get a particular player for lots of money.... and then mentions other things to try and cover up the fact that you are just angry because you can't get the player you want for less money.

If the player is not really interested to join your club and the other club itself does not want to let the player go, then obviously they have the upper hand in the deal. It seems pretty realistic to me. The AI just ripped you off because you were desperate for a particular player.

All I can say is learn to negotiate.

Another thread complaining about how they can't get a particular player for lots of money.... and then mentions other things to try and cover up the fact that you are just angry because you can't get the player you want for less money.

Note to self: Read rest of thread not just 1st post before posting tosh.

I wont be buying FM 2011 and I am happy playing FM 2010 as I go through my 10th season now as Liverpool Team :)

I can wait until FM 2012 Demo come out and hopefully should best ever as you have remember....5 years cycles Making Football manager would be best versions....

FM 2007 was best versions and next up....FM 2012 and FM 2017 will be their best versions as I am sure of it :)

I'd like to see some variety in the transfers, maybe the AI signing someone based on the fact that they've done well for a season beforehand, rather than signing someone becasue he's got about 200PA.... I've signed players for 200k and they've performed at around 7.2 for the season, yet cannot offload them for around 3m - when players like Kaka waltz between Real Madrid and Inter Milan for over 20m when his average rating is less than 6.5

This! Average ratings are essentially useless, when selling your players, I think it should play more of a role, when selling players, because now you feel AI only buys on PA and reputation. It sucks, when you have a player performing brilliantly in the league or very well at least and you'd like to sell him, because you could use with some money or whatever and no one even shows any interest in him. Perhaps average rating should have a bigger influence on a player's reputation and by consequence would see also a raised interest in him if you're selling him.

There are some who suggest that time be spent on fixing and improving older features which never quite worked - and I have sympathy with that. But I also know you always need to move forward.

To me, this would be a big step in the right direction. Fixing things that need attention. You dont have an exhaust on your car that is about to fall off, ignore it and then go and blow £200 on a new stereo system do you?

I may be alone in saying this but, if I had downloaded the demo and it was basically a revamped FM10 (new skin, new data, expanded Q&A in press conferences, improved backroom advice, improved match engine appearance & a generally a smoother running, 'polished' game) I would have been first in line at Asda or wherever on release day.

Agreed! :thup:

I dont know about other people, but I've only signed one player, which I think i got for a reasonable fee. So no complaints there. Please keep your critisisms of other people to yourself and input something original and productive. If you cant, shut up.

I dont know about other people, but I've only signed one player, which I think i got for a reasonable fee. So no complaints there. Please keep your critisisms of other people to yourself and input something original and productive. If you cant, shut up.

If you continued on in your reading of my post, then you would have realised that I gave a productive and valid reason to the OP as to why things were happening that way.

A bit of an irony there that you yourself couldn't keep your criticism of other people to yourself.

Got to incline with the OP, this has been the first incarnation of CM/FM that I can say I pretty much hated, although I am not bothered about it as am really enjoying FM10 so can save myself £25.

I do hope SI come back on form in 12 though.

This! Average ratings are essentially useless, when selling your players, I think it should play more of a role, when selling players, because now you feel AI only buys on PA and reputation. It sucks, when you have a player performing brilliantly in the league or very well at least and you'd like to sell him, because you could use with some money or whatever and no one even shows any interest in him. Perhaps average rating should have a bigger influence on a player's reputation and by consequence would see also a raised interest in him if you're selling him.

But we do the same thing. Would you buy a 11 finishing striker for an EPL team just because he has just netted 25 goals in the CCC the year before. (I mean unless he is a monster in his other attributes?)

We buy based on attributes and scout ratings, at least I do and believe to be part of the majority here.

Whether the reviews are good or bad - I'll still buy the game and consider it £30 well spent.

The main reason is that regardless of its faults, it's the only football management game worth playing. Plus, I'm one of those people who find it difficult to contine playing a save on an older version when the new one is out.

I also never both downloading the demo - It's a bit like opening your Christmas presents two weeks early.

But we do the same thing. Would you buy a 11 finishing striker for an EPL team just because he has just netted 25 goals in the CCC the year before. (I mean unless he is a monster in his other attributes?)

We buy based on attributes and scout ratings, at least I do and believe to be part of the majority here.

A rather extreme example don't you think? Anyways, I certainly do pay quite a bit of attention to player ratings in addition to other factors you suggested. If some player scored 25 goals in the Championship (in full detail matches of course) then surely they must have some good attributes anyway even if their finishing is only 11.

Basically, if you have a choice between a player with awesome attributes who has always been getting ratings below 7 and one with seemingly lower skillset who's been performing well consistently and is probably available for way less, would you not have a punt on the latter as opposed to splashing big on the former? The AI sure as hell wouldn't, which is a shame.

I think its funny how many people on this thread who are saying they won't buy FM2011 also are still playing versions 5-6 years old and play without the 3d match engine.

I'm not saying their preferences aren't relevant, but it seems a bit curmudgeony to me. I love the 3d engine. Yeah, its not perfect, but it really helps my understanding of what happens in the match, and yes I've benn playing long enough to have played the commentary only versions. I imagine the vast majority of FM players use the 3d engine, so I don't think SI is going to be wetting their pants over those who don't saying they are not interested in FM2011.

As someone who usually plays 20 year careers in FM, the dynamic league rep is something I'm quite excited for. I'd love to see dynamic country rep at some point in the future. I have no doubt in the real world the percentage of african and asian, and even US players will increase in the worlds top leagues and would love to see that reflected in the game.

Archived