If you were a real manager.....

If you were a real manager would you use fm to scout players?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. If you were a real manager would you use fm to scout players?

• Heck yeah I would. I knew about fernando torres way before liverpool did....
    • No need...I have people for that...besides it just a game

For years, first thing I do when we sign a new player that I have never heard of is check him out on FM to see if he is any good.

I also bought Kezman for my Sun dream team when I had heard Chelsea bought him because I knew what a star he was on past FMs. I wont be doing that again in a hurry.

Is that article a joke or legit, seems like a publicity thing for me....but i could be wrong, if I am thats quite amusing.....

It's real, although you're probably right in saying that it's PR: I think it's fairly safe to suggest that David Moyes doesn't sit down at his computer playing Football Manager in order to determine his transfer policy. :p Especially since, if you want the FM database, there's no need to do an actual deal: they could have just popped down to the shops and bought the game... ;)

The SI database is the most detailed database in the world. Everton is just using SIs scouts. I don't think Moyes is just playing the game then making decisions. But finding players then scouting them himself. It is a smart thing to do. They will get some youngster years from now and it is going to be because of SIs database

I don't see why not, it is fantastic resource for player information.

From here:

I also used a computer database of 70,000 footballers, which could immediately call up all their statistics for the last four years.

Sounds like club scouts already use player databases, FM would probably be a lot cheaper though ;)

I don't see why not, it is fantastic resource for player information.

From here:

Sounds like club scouts already use player databases, FM would probably be a lot cheaper though ;)

I wonder if there are real managers complaining of crash dumps? What pseudonym's could they be under? :D;)

Heh, a refreshingly original topic for a thread. I voted 'yes'.

Can anyone answer the question - with Everton buying the FM database, what did they get that we don't all have on the disk?

The right to use it to choose which players to purchase in professional football?

Yes I would. As you say in the poll, sometimes we know about players before they get on the radar of real clubs and that extra knowledge could come in handy.

Now, how to measure CA in real life...........

I always use to think this all the time, that I knew about Nani because of FM before United, but then when you really think about it, I am pretty sure clubs would be following the players a long time if they was youngsters before they actually sign them. Just becuase they only signed him 2 seasons after we found them on FM, doesn't mean they had only just heard about them.

Sorry if that doesn't make sence :p

I always use to think this all the time, that I knew about Nani because of FM before United, but then when you really think about it, I am pretty sure clubs would be following the players a long time if they was youngsters before they actually sign them. Just becuase they only signed him 2 seasons after we found them on FM, doesn't mean they had only just heard about them.

Sorry if that doesn't make sence :p

Yeah definately, there was an article on the Manchester United website the other month saying they had been following Wayne Rooney since he was 9 and tore them apart. The manager of that team went back to United having been beaten by a huge amount (Everton were almost in double figures I think). Instead of being like sorry we got beaten so bad he turned around and said there's this kid we need to look at... Followed him all the way up till they finally signed him.

Edit: Also yea I'd take a look at players spotted on FM. Why not? The best use all the tools available to them, why not a game with such a large player database?

Well F1 teams are constantly running simulations, I wonder if FM could ever be used in that capacity to predict longer term trends?

I doubt it. Whilst FM tries to represent a real game of football as much as possible, I'm sure we will all agree that it is still far away from that.

I would use it. It doesn't mirror real life completely, but SI have extensively researched many leagues and players so I do think that it would make sense to use it as a scouting tool. If it were used as the sole tool, though, I don't think it would work too well, but I believe that FM could be useful for managers IRL, at least to point them in the right direction.

Well F1 teams are constantly running simulations, I wonder if FM could ever be used in that capacity to predict longer term trends?

F1 racing is based on mechanics. The simulations use complex mathematical models to simulate physics and ultimately the performance of the car. Not sure how you can really compare that to a player's development and/or performance ;)

F1 racing is based on mechanics. The simulations use complex mathematical models to simulate physics and ultimately the performance of the car. Not sure how you can really compare that to a player's development and/or performance ;)

Good point.

It's far easier to simulate something that has been designed to perform to a certain level. Footballers aren't like that, unfortunately they have the human factor about them :)

http://www.theoffside.com/world-football/football-manager-is-the-new-google-its-taking-over-the-world.html

check that out

when I made this i thought to myself 'its perfectly cool if professional clubs use fm to scout players.....until they start looking at regens as potential targets' :D:D

god forbid moyes has one of his scout running around spain looking for a kid named 'sergio gonzalez'....

even better....info about lil sergio is leaked and other teams begin to give chase....

remember manager always click on a players name in the game before you start looking for him in real life. ;)

In real life, clubs notice some excellent players and follow them for several seasons. I mean you have Nani. He was being scouted, like was Cristiano Ronaldo several seasons before Man United hired them. Clubs need to ponder if that player is gem and need further scouting. Clubs take sometime to hire certain youngsters, because if they hired C. Ronaldo a few seasons before Man United bought him, would they got him for better price? sure. Would be the great player the brought so many celebrations to Man United fans? No. Because he hadn't first team place on the team by long shot, so Alex delayed contracting him, because in Sporting C. Ronaldo and Nani played and got some experience out of it.

However i did notice on Ronaldinho in the same season he went to PSV, but doesn't mean that Barcelona hadn't an eye on him.

If you were a real manager would you use fm to scout real players?

I would use it for finding some prospect to let real scouts watch them.

FM can give you a good idea and is often spot on, but as a professional you must not rely on it. The data was enterered due to the efforts of unpaid laymen after all...

Archived