Most spiteful thing you've done as a manager?

I tried to to sign Griezmann every transfer window for about 4 seasons. Every year i had a bid accepted but he wouldn't even entertain the idea of entering into contract negotiations with me. 

At the start of my 5th season he finally decided he wanted to play for me, it's worth noting he is 30 years of age at this point, and having offered him a wage of 650k p/w (an improvement of 300k on his current contract i might add, when it came to finalising the deal i cancelled it leaving him to stay at Atletico Madrid. 

The guy rejected me at least 10 times, petty as it was, i couldn't let him have the last word - so felt rejecting him was a nice way to get closure on the situation. He who laughs last laughs hardest!  :lol:

Eddie Wilson (YP 0.2): Oh Eddie. Oh, oh Eddie. You coulda been a contender mate. The world of Wick as at your feet but you chose, for some bizarre reason, to beef me about a teamtalk in a friendly when all the defence were **** and then you told me I wouldn't sell someone over something so trivial. Rotted in the U20s for the season and left at the end of his contract. Made 45 appearances during his time at the club and will probably now want vengeance on me wherever he rolls up next. Currently a free agent.

That was from my career at Wick. Earlier on in the piece the senior players played crap and got me fired so I went back in there and just basically ruined all their careers by making them sad and selling them etc. They're all retired now while I am still King. HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Some German fella was angling for a new contract, which was far higher than I was willing to play considering he was no more than a back up.  He got injured for 12 months, had an injury release clause so I released him - he couldn't find another club and retired 18 months later.

I've got a wonderful example of this from a career thread I have on this forum.  Extracts from the post about it are in the tags below. 

The scene is the wonderful Spiteri Stadium in Gibraltar, home of the mighty Lincoln Red Imps.  An unrecognisable club from the one that exists today, full of stars, assembled with the ill-gotten gains of a dodgy TV and prize money deal.  We're in the Champions League first knockout round, facing Milan in the second leg after a 2-2 draw in the first.  Anything better than a high-scoring draw or defeat sees us through.  We just need to hold on to what we've got. 

Let me tell you the story of Milan Nesic...

Jn7Tdwh.png

8mQoC3e.png

Now let me tell you all a little story about this ******* game.

Our 4-4-2 system is sound. It's been proved on several occasions to work, but sometimes be a little suspect at the back. We have gone out and given some absolute hidings using it though, and we started well. In the 2nd minute, Milan Nesic tumbled in the box after a good run. Penalty? Nope, a yellow card for diving.

Now, I'm a pragmatic guy. I despise diving, and can't really understand it, but I know it happens and it'll continue to happen. One dive is fine, but if you're stupid enough to make one that is so bad that you get booked for it, you better guarantee that you don't do it again. Right? RIGHT, MILAN?!

Of course, 42nd minute comes along, and into the box he goes again. Down he does again, and out comes the yellow card, closely followed by the red. Furious doesn't quite cut it.

I hated to do it, but I looked at my two strikers and realised that it would be suicide to leave both on. I made the difficult decision to pull VDD off, and bring on Delattre to keep us with the four in midfield. All the while cursing the name of Milan Nesic. Of course Sod's Law soon intervened as Milan went straight up the other end and scored. Down to ten men, and now behind in the tie, it's fair to say that the air turned blue at half-time.

The second half began, and we looked like the proverbial rocket had been lit. Less than sixty seconds after the restart, sub Delattre showed what a proper, right-minded, non-diving right midfielder does and slotted in at the back post to put us back ahead on away goals. Cue delirium, and a slight (very, very, very slight) thawing of my frosty hate for Nesic.

Then things got worse. See that booking for Jon Boxhill? Guess what he got it for? Aye, diving. Now one player getting booked for diving is stupid. Getting sent off for a second dive is cretinous. But to watch that, and then decide "Yeah, I want some of that" is downright negligent. Boxhill was immediately subbed, and Daniel Mendoza - the only striker on the bench - was thrown on. Boxhill then went to sit in a dark room for Nesic, and await my instructions.

Remember how I said that Mendoza was our only available striker? Remember how I mentioned Sod's Law? Yup, you may have noticed that nine minutes after coming on, he strained his knee ligaments and had to come off. So now, hilariously, we were down to ten men, and no strikers. I threw on poor Andrew Warburton, a 15-year-old AMC from our youth academy to play in a 4-4-1-0 formation to desperately try and close out the game. He was woeful, but I didn't need him to be good. I just needed him to not give the ball away. We hung on, manfully so, but you all know the script already.

In the 92nd minute, we struggled to clear a corner, and Jose Ignacio Morales poked in the loose ball. There was no way we were coming back from that.

And then, once the physio managed to pick the bits of glass, plasterboard and drywall out of the players' faces, came the aftermath...

YD7oY0B.png

A one-match ban, but two weeks wages fine from me. I absolutely stand by my decision, as his stupidity cost us our place in the Champions League. He disagreed.

m4XuiuO.png

There was only one thing for it, and to be honest it was coming from the moment the red card was brandished.

7WEnx2u.png

As long as we have another capable right midfielder, Milan Nesic will not play for this club again, and will join Malaga in the summer.

Further to that, I decided that Jon Boxhill needed the same treatment. In a way I'm more angry at him, as he watched his team-mate get sent off, then decided to dive himself. He was a little harder to shift, so after offering him to clubs and unsettling him, it came to this.

pgEDgGJ.png

We'll see what comes of that, but, like Nesic, he won't play again for this club if I can help it.

So just to round up, we go from a position of strength to 3 separate bookings for diving, and a red for Milan Nesic.  He was sold the day after the defeat, with the other offender dumped to the reserves.  I ended up keeping him after a few months of the cold shoulder, but I never quite forgave him for being such a moron.

good to see that i'm not the only one who has a spiteful streak

Another thing i remember doing recently, Diawarra had been moaning about a new contract so i dropped him for a CL final game and played a 19 year old in his position instead. TBH, i only did this because we were up against Valencia so thought i could pull it off but i just wish there was an option where i could say i'm dropping you for X reason as even though i know why he was dropped, i don't think it registered with him. 

5 minutes ago, forameuss said:

I've got a wonderful example of this from a career thread I have on this forum.  Extracts from the post about it are in the tags below. 

The scene is the wonderful Spiteri Stadium in Gibraltar, home of the mighty Lincoln Red Imps.  An unrecognisable club from the one that exists today, full of stars, assembled with the ill-gotten gains of a dodgy TV and prize money deal.  We're in the Champions League first knockout round, facing Milan in the second leg after a 2-2 draw in the first.  Anything better than a high-scoring draw or defeat sees us through.  We just need to hold on to what we've got. 

Hide contents

Jn7Tdwh.png

8mQoC3e.png

Our 4-4-2 system is sound. It's been proved on several occasions to work, but sometimes be a little suspect at the back. We have gone out and given some absolute hidings using it though, and we started well. In the 2nd minute, Milan Nesic tumbled in the box after a good run. Penalty? Nope, a yellow card for diving.

Now, I'm a pragmatic guy. I despise diving, and can't really understand it, but I know it happens and it'll continue to happen. One dive is fine, but if you're stupid enough to make one that is so bad that you get booked for it, you better guarantee that you don't do it again. Right? RIGHT, MILAN?!

Of course, 42nd minute comes along, and into the box he goes again. Down he does again, and out comes the yellow card, closely followed by the red. Furious doesn't quite cut it.

I hated to do it, but I looked at my two strikers and realised that it would be suicide to leave both on. I made the difficult decision to pull VDD off, and bring on Delattre to keep us with the four in midfield. All the while cursing the name of Milan Nesic. Of course Sod's Law soon intervened as Milan went straight up the other end and scored. Down to ten men, and now behind in the tie, it's fair to say that the air turned blue at half-time.

The second half began, and we looked like the proverbial rocket had been lit. Less than sixty seconds after the restart, sub Delattre showed what a proper, right-minded, non-diving right midfielder does and slotted in at the back post to put us back ahead on away goals. Cue delirium, and a slight (very, very, very slight) thawing of my frosty hate for Nesic.

Then things got worse. See that booking for Jon Boxhill? Guess what he got it for? Aye, diving. Now one player getting booked for diving is stupid. Getting sent off for a second dive is cretinous. But to watch that, and then decide "Yeah, I want some of that" is downright negligent. Boxhill was immediately subbed, and Daniel Mendoza - the only striker on the bench - was thrown on. Boxhill then went to sit in a dark room for Nesic, and await my instructions.

Remember how I said that Mendoza was our only available striker? Remember how I mentioned Sod's Law? Yup, you may have noticed that nine minutes after coming on, he strained his knee ligaments and had to come off. So now, hilariously, we were down to ten men, and no strikers. I threw on poor Andrew Warburton, a 15-year-old AMC from our youth academy to play in a 4-4-1-0 formation to desperately try and close out the game. He was woeful, but I didn't need him to be good. I just needed him to not give the ball away. We hung on, manfully so, but you all know the script already.

In the 92nd minute, we struggled to clear a corner, and Jose Ignacio Morales poked in the loose ball. There was no way we were coming back from that.

And then, once the physio managed to pick the bits of glass, plasterboard and drywall out of the players' faces, came the aftermath...

YD7oY0B.png

A one-match ban, but two weeks wages fine from me. I absolutely stand by my decision, as his stupidity cost us our place in the Champions League. He disagreed.

m4XuiuO.png

There was only one thing for it, and to be honest it was coming from the moment the red card was brandished.

7WEnx2u.png

As long as we have another capable right midfielder, Milan Nesic will not play for this club again, and will join Malaga in the summer.

Further to that, I decided that Jon Boxhill needed the same treatment. In a way I'm more angry at him, as he watched his team-mate get sent off, then decided to dive himself. He was a little harder to shift, so after offering him to clubs and unsettling him, it came to this.

pgEDgGJ.png

We'll see what comes of that, but, like Nesic, he won't play again for this club if I can help it.

hahahahahahaha that is epic! you must have been fuming. Well i think we have a winner :applause:

Whilst managing RKC (as ever), we were losing our Jupiler League playoff game 0-1 without having a shot. Come 80 mins, sub Daan Rienstra was free on the edge of the box, but his shot ballooned over the bar. Our only shot of the game and it was horrendous.

Rienstra was immediately subbed, fined two weeks wages and let go a day later....

I'm not a petty manager, especially as it's been some years since my last volatile 2p against my brother. But I remember a long way back (FM07 I think) he'd signed one of my stars (Guilhermo -young Brazilian AM/FC) on a bosman... that player spent the last 6 months in my reserves training to be a GK :D 

I'm sure I'm not the only one who used to put a moaning player on 'No Training' or even 'Goalkeeper Training' during the CM3-era games. :D

Recently, though, I've not been one for spite. Probably the worst thing I've done in my FM13 save came in one of my first league matches as Dagenham & Redbridge manager, having recently moved to the club after a brief spell in Spain. We were 2-0 up at Darlington, but lost 3-2. I got aggressive with the team at full-time, and one player in particular didn't like what I had to say. Here's a little snippet from my FMS story thread that explains what happened next.

On 11/26/2015 at 14:21, CFuller said:

The next target of my criticism was winger Andy Yiadom, who was so ineffective after coming on as a substitute. He didn't take my disapproval very well, and a shouting match ensued before I snapped. "Right! You can make your own way back home, Andy! In fact, don't bother coming back at all! YOU'RE SACKED!"

Yiadom's contract was terminated the very next morning, after we had completed the long, miserable journey back to Dagenham.

Andy Yiadom never played for another club and retired from the game a few months later.

See, now I felt the opposite about cancelling transfers.

Second choice left back signed on a cheap loan, played superbly when needed so I agreed to sign him on a free at the end of the season on massively increased wages even though I'm not guaranteed European football next season and the position is now well covered by a new versatile DM and my right back who has a lot of youngsters starting to compete for his place. Gets injured for a few months, which I use as an excuse to walk away from that contract. Felt really harsh doing it.

That's a weird save where I don't actually dislike any of my players, and almost feel sentimental about the no-longer-a-star defender who came up with me through the divisions and used to send transfer requests every window. Although the idiot that requested that I allow him to talk to a "bigger" second tier club after I was virtually guaranteed promotion got loaned out when the transfer bid never came in and never played top division football.

6 hours ago, forameuss said:

Reveal hidden contents

Jn7Tdwh.png

8mQoC3e.png

YD7oY0B.png

m4XuiuO.png

7WEnx2u.png

pgEDgGJ.png

I've had something similar, and it really winds me up that the player seems completely oblivious that they've done what 99% of people would consider to be the most stupidest red card ever. And they never quite realise they've done it in a critical match either. Winds me up even more, which just fuels the rage tbh. 

Ignoring the 1% of muppets that can't fathom that, what upsets me more is that it seems impossible to quite hammer this very fine point home to these players. I look forward to the day we can actually do that!

It's hard for me to get too vindictive with my players, and you could count the times I've fined a player one week's wages on one hand. But if a another manager pops off to me, I'll give them a foul nickname, refuse to loan them my players, and if they buy a transfer-listed player off of me at a future date, I will train a center back as a striker or train them on a useless attribute. In any instance, they're not going to see the match-day field.  

One of my players complained about too little game time despite being injured... so I had the whole squad, one by one,  including some u23s, asked to speak to him to resolve his issue, so it might not have made any difference in game but it was hilariously spiteful of me :) 

It was World Cup 2038 in France. My defender from the team I am managing (Southampton) got called up for the national team to play in the World Cup. He happens to be the same nationality I am IRL. I followed all my national team's games in the World Cup. We get to the semi final and lose 2-1 to England, with 2 own goals of my defender! 

I got a fair bit of national pride so I was p*ssed off. 

Then, after a few games in the new season he asks for an improved contract based on recent performances! I know I shouldn't include the national team's games in this, but I did and I remember shouting at the screen: "you f-ing made us loose the World Cup you twit!" and I fired him. 

Truth is, I wouldn't have fired him if he didn't ask for a new contract, or if I would've played FM another day. 

I've been there too, @forameuss...

And for extra pettiness points, it wasn't a CL 2nd Qualifying Round game. One of the pointless ones.

My Rosenborg side was facing Andorran side Encamp. We won 9-0 at home, so for the away game I decided to field the reserves, who I thought were good enough to get a decent result. We were 1-0 up at half-time, but somehow the minnows managed to turn the game around to win 2-1.

Understandably I was less than pleased and the full-time team talk was reflected my mood. Nobody objected because they knew they had embarrassed themselves.

But wait! Iranian CB Mohammed Nosrati, who didn't even play (as he was the best CB, so I chose to rest him), complained about my team talk... I stood by my decision but he just wouldn't drop his whining... A couple of clicks later and he felt he couldn't work with me anymore.

I offered him a mutual termination, and he agreed for free.

I didn't even want to wait for a transfer offer to recoup the 1M I spent, I just wanted him out of the team ASAP.

P.S. My standard policy for red cards is 1 week fine (2 for the high earners). If a player isn't accepting it, he's a goner.

PLOT TWIST! 

So having cancelled Griezmann's transfer it wasn't going to be long before we would meet again. Who would be victorious this time? Scores were there to be settled.

1585gu0.png

Lets just say i came out on top again...what made it even funnier is that he had an absolute stinker of a game. 

Mine is a sordid tale, documented over in FMCU (link).

It all began when the scouts recommended a Danish youngster by the name of Tommy Bjelland to my manager, one Hakan Telleus.

Now, Telleus was a humble Swedish lad, who at first thought that his scouts were ****ing with him.  His immediate reaction was to draw up papers to fire Chief Scout Vito Stavljanin in retribution.  But better judgment kicked in, and Telleus asked for more information.    

When it became clear that Tommy had no intention of joining Malmo, Telleus did the only reasonable thing he could.

Send that cheeky **** Vito on a scouting trip. 

To Yemen.  Where Vito was left for some time.

a9be5d13d0efc6644f5f8c9574765d38.png 

e305a92f18a586afccdcba7da21de50c.jpg

In the end, Bjelland turned into quite the player and cropped up occasionally throughout the save -- earning 56 caps for Denmark and managing the Danish national team for more than a decade.

669c9accc815bd8074072fdb6633b700.jpg

11 hours ago, puffascruffowitz said:

One thing I do is if a youth player is crying about training he gets released immediately. Oh what's that you dumb 16 yr old? You don't like your new tutor? Then I hope you'll like your new career!

Have any of these 16 year old's gone onto be top players?

Not really spiteful but last night, after 7 trophy filled years at the club I support IRL Rangers (who hadn't won the league in over 20 years when I joined) where I won 6 titles and 6 cups, the press asked me what I thought of being linked with Liverpool so I said it was an honour and 2 days later the board demanded to meet with me or I'd be sacked and went mental at me. My options for response were all various degrees of apology (which I did not like) and then on the second screen in I could back down, go cocky or walk away saying I don't think I could carry on working with them anymore.

I chose to walk away and have SLATED them in all my interviews after.

I've joined Airdrie in League 1 to build them up over time and get to the Premiership and show them who's the daddy.

Give me attitude after all I'd done for them? :herman:

I managed Ross County in Scotland to a Champion's League title and my star midfielder, Michael Stewart, a ManU reject, wanted to move to a bigger club.  I sold him to Galatasaray, but started training him as a GK before he officially made the move.   Because of a bug in that older version of CM his training continued at his new club and he was relegated to the bench as a GK for the rest of his career.  This was probably CM01/02 or thereabouts.  

Way back in the day, maybe FM 2007 or 2008 so, I was playing as Arsenal and was in the CL Semi Finals against a Spanish team, but not a Barca or RM, think it was Valencia.

I won the home leg, 3-2, but obviously let in two away goal. Started off the away leg well, scoring in the first couple minutes. Kept pushing for the second to nullify swing away goals into my favor.

Conceded at some point in the match, so it's 4-3 on aggregate. Switch my tactics in the last 15 minutes to waste time and be more defensive.

Kolo Toure, central defender in my back three has the ball. Gets pressured and passes back to Jens Lehmann.

Mad Jens doesn't collect the ball and it rolls past him, into the net.

I lose on away goals.

After the match, I immediately put them on the transfer list and drop both of them from the first team squad. I may have fined both of them for poor performance, I think that was still an ability we had at the time. Just did everything I could to get them unsettled and want out. Forced the old wonderkid Oscar Ustari into my first team.

Was actually mad at the players IRL. So much that when Toure was sold to City a few seasons later, I wasn't really upset because of it.

Archived