Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Of course not, he turned 20 today. Just like Neymar wasn't that striker back in 2011 and Rooney wasn't in 2005. It's not like we already have 5 world class strikers blocking his path, his problem right now is we're so dependent on him we're running him into the ground by over-playing him. He needs a focal point to play off, something Rooney isn't capable of anymore and he needs enough competition to be rested when he's out of form.

I think he is going to be awesome but my point is our issue is not only the striker but our all round play. We blamed it on Rooney, RVP, Chicha etc but the fact is that our system is never going to have a striker scoring bucket loads. It feels more like we need that super level of striker to create solitary moments of brilliance, we need a Suarez, Aguero type player as the level below that will have the same frustration with our setup.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he is going to be awesome but my point is our issue is not only the striker but our all round play. We blamed it on Rooney, RVP, Chicha etc but the fact is that our system is never going to have a striker scoring bucket loads. It feels more like we need that super level of striker to create solitary moments of brilliance, we need a Suarez, Aguero type player as the level below that will have the same frustration with our setup.

And how many top teams operate without that level of striker anyway? And we blamed it on those players because they weren't good enough, not one of them. The only time they were was when Rooney played that 5 game spell last season and RvP's little burst around the previous xmas. People can bang on about Chicha's 11 goals in his last 10 but if teams played against Leverkusen like the did vs us he wouldn't have a quarter of that. LvG's teams have always had strikers who scored bag fulls, except they were players like Kluivert, Bergkamp Rivaldo and Gómez. You don't win things without that level of player, that's why they're so sought after.

Just watched the game (and the Leicester one) back. Kinda wish I hadn't bothered.

God damn LvG banning forwards from going into the 6 yard box and burying crosses like Darmian provided :mad:

Since the gameplan from minute one was to stand the ball up to Fellaini; yeah, pretty much.

Don't really get the bleating about chances. Fellaini's 'empty goal' was fizzed into him on his weaker foot, and Martial's was another that came onto him quickly and at an awkward height. Beyond that, the Mata chance? Good chances certainly, but not even as good as Zarate's and no better than Moses'. But I guess we're back to the paradox where our players aren't good enough yet anyone better is unobtainable (just don't mention that such exotic luminaries as Vary, Lukaku, Igalho, Ayew, Pelle, Kone, Wilson, Benteke, Defoe, Fletcher and Gomis have scored more than any of our strikers have this season). Our chance creation is relegation battle while our shot conversion is Champions League; but let's splash a load of cash for another big name.

The really worrying thing is that this was pretty much an ideal game for LvG ball - West Ham seemed to be willing to come out and play a bit, leaving some gaps for us to exploit in the second half while lacking the quality to punish us. If we can't win these games then we're going to need some significant changes.

Telling how much we seemed to improve when Memphis came on, and how much went through him. Really need to give him his head and let him make his mistakes, because while we need someone to create something out of nothing he's one of those most likely to deliver, even if he's wasteful at other times.

How much longer are we going to keep wasting a substitution by starting McNair? He's just not good enough.

People can bang on about Chicha's 11 goals in his last 10 but if teams played against Leverkusen like the did vs us he wouldn't have a quarter of that.

Scored a goal every other game in Fergie's last season. Tuesday will tell I suppose, since Chicha scored when they defended against him just over a month ago.

So Martial is not that striker then? :(

1 goal in 13 games would suggest he isn't that striker yet.

And I was talking about the striker we need this season to win the league.

e: if we'd have had that striker since the start of the season we would be about 10 points better off. Nice little cushion that the top of the league.

But no, we have Rooney :brock:

A few journalists seem to have been briefed that we have no interest in Pep and will stick with LVG.

Seems like a very short term way of looking at things. We know it's highly likely that LVG will retire in 2017, 18 months from now. In 18 months there maybe no "top" managers available (similar to after Fergie left). Klopp has been taken, Ancelloti will be in a new club, Pep will have gone to another club etc. There needs to be a ruthless streak at the top similar to when Bayern dumped Jupp Heynckes for Pep.

Of course.. it could just be a case of saving face (badly) as he opted for City anyway.

There is no need for a top manager. Giggs will be the next manager.

Thats why LVG was brought in, to train Giggs. Thats the way it would've been sold to him. He comes in to set foundations up for Giggs to take over.

That is the clubs long term vision. LVG has already stated as much himself. Martial was a signing for Giggs.

Rolling back a few pages:

WBA H

Watford A

PSV H

Leicester A

West Ham H

Wolfsburg A

Bournemouth A

Norwich H

Stoke A

Would be disappointed with anything less than 16/17 points from that lot in the league. Leicester A probably the trickiest of those.

Halfway through and Louis needs 100% to avoid disappointing sebsy (presuming he's content with the 0-0 with PSV)!

Giggs would be a total disaster appointment.

I agree, nothing to show otherwise at the moment.

It always amazes me how fans pick names out of the air who will be the next great thing. A couple of years back, we were told Fergies successor should be one of Ole Gunner Solskjaer, & Rene Meulensten, until both were brought down to earth at Cardiff & Fulham respectively. Funny, neither are mentioned now. Now its Giggs, & in the future Gary Neville.

Ideal scenario for myself would be us to get Pep. You know he is a man who wont spend more than a few seasons at a club so we sign him, get to watch some great football and we let Giggs go from the club. Giggs can then go out and be a manager somewhere and we can watch Neville and Giggs and see if either shows signs on being a man who could manage us. If they do and they seem ready after Pep then great, if not look more long term with them or rule them out.

We have had plenty of former players become managers and after Keanes first season i think loads would have had him as manager and look how his career went following that first season.

Keane as a manager was never going to work out. Way too much of a nutter, and holds grudges like nobody's business. Not good qualities in a manager that needs to deal with people 15-20 hours a day.

I agree Giggs needs to show something before he will be able to take over the reigns at United, but I don't get the ridiculing either. Hopefully he has learnt a lot over the last 18 months, and he will of course have picked up a thing or three during his playing career and watching how SAF did things. He's not clueless.

Given how exceedingly difficult it is to become a truly top manager, and how even those fail at times (see Chelsea, and partially Dortmund last season), most likely neither Gary Neville nor Ryan Giggs will ever manage Manchester United, or fail terribly doing so.

Had hoped it would be another case of LVG laying the groundwork for Pep, and then Pep comes in and takes things to a new level for a few years, but if he leaves Bayern after this season, he won't be coming to us, because LVG won't be sacked unless things really go south over the next 6 months, which I don't think they will.

I'm glad Barcelona didn't have the same attitude or Pep would still managing some bottom half Spanish team trying to prove that he has what it takes to manage them.

would love an example of a teams top player going elsewhere to manage before coming back to be manager?

If Giggs is the clubs plan, and I believe he is, then I'm very disappointed that he wasn't put in place when SAF retired, the club needed continuity at that moment and Giggs could've kept everything in place for that to happen, but no, we've had 2 coaches in place since then and the whole club seems to have changed.

It seems SAF's biggest weakness was his inability in leaving behind a legacy. Sadly Moyes was the most stupid man in football thinking he had to change a winning formula, what an ego. Maybe he should have came in as number two for a season, but SAF decided to give everyone a matter of weeks to put a new plan in place.

Giggs has literally zero management experience in a competitive environment. But yeah let's appoint him over literally anyone else with top flight experience.

To be fair, Guardiola only had one season with Barcelona B in the Tercera under his belt. Granted they won the league, but it was hardly enough to appoint him as manager of one of the world's biggest clubs.

We could do a lot worse than appoint Giggs post LVG. There's a lot to be said for continuity (for the players) and a person who understands the history and expectations of the club/fans.

Pardew..err...no!

He is great for winding up the Newcastle fans (who coincidentally have stopped trolling here) but nothing else.

Talking about unwelcome guests, we used to get daily BG & Pearcey visits just a couple years back but they have dried up and now we only get odd cameos from Vampook, Razzler and Wands. How we must have declined not to warrant the trolling.

Pardew..err...no!

He is great for winding up the Newcastle fans (who coincidentally have stopped trolling here) but nothing else.

Talking about unwelcome guests, we used to get daily BG & Pearcey visits just a couple years back but they have dried up and now we only get odd cameos from Vampook, Razzler and Wands. How we must have declined not to warrant the trolling.

And that's only if you consider wands not to be a two team Tommy deep deep down.

Obvious answer is Ancelotti of course. Been discussing it a bit today and the more I think about it the more stupid it seems that he isn't our manager already.

He's the guy I was thinking about when reading these last posts too, and the idiocy of "LVG out / Giggs in" over at a certain forum. If Pep goes to City (shudder), then Ancelotti would be a great candidate to take over after LVG. Unless he does a Mourinho between now and then. Real Madrid were total clowns to sack him.

The south coast bat signal has disappeared too, though he looks to have gone completely underground (or into a cave).

He's the guy I was thinking about when reading these last posts too, and the idiocy of "LVG out / Giggs in" over at a certain forum. If Pep goes to City (shudder), then Ancelotti would be a great candidate to take over after LVG. Unless he does a Mourinho between now and then. Real Madrid were total clowns to sack him.

The south coast bat signal has disappeared too, though he looks to have gone completely underground (or into a cave).

Him and about a dozen other managers :D

comparing guardiola and giggs is hilarious. ancelotti seems to be people's favourite at the moment, personally think we should do absolutely everything for guardiola, especially if the city stuff has any truth. although i'm sure some of his tactical quirks will wind people up no end as well, except it'll be more entertaining than van gaal's.

Pleased with that draw too. Hopefully a chance for some kids.

Worse news with Bastian almost certainly getting a 3-match ban by the FA, but can't really complain too much about it. It was stupid (although I never like seeing a player pretending he was shot by an RPG). Bit of a winter break for him after all.

All in all, should be a pretty decent chance for some Pereira action in the next month. Lots of matches, injuries, and now a suspension too.

Pleased with that draw too. Hopefully a chance for some kids.

No. Just play the first team. It has been too long since an FA Cup win. The last time against Millwall I recall watching the final with my brother the day after his wedding (the honeymoon got postponed). He's now got a team of screaming children and he's in a fully blown midlife crisis. How the years fly....

2 years ago that suggestion was met with derision

66 PL goals in 137 games isn't a bad record. Has played and scored enough to know he can do it in the PL. Problem with buying abroad is that it can take a season or two for them to find their feet.

What a **** day. My grandma died last night :( Hopefully Manchester United manage to put a slight but temporary dampener on that sad feeling this evening. Won't be easy though. Wolfsburg will be no walk-over, they barely ever lose at home, and I reckon we need to win.

Only one player in our squad tonight has scored more than 10 goals in the Champions League, Bastian Schweinsteiger.

How anybody at the club thought it was a good idea to ship out RVP, Hernandez, Wilson and (to a lesser extent) Falcao & Henriquez and only bringing in a promising Martial is remarkable. Not forgetting Welbeck the year before.

Archived