Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just finished the game, totally undeserved but a very welcome win. Any confidence/composure with their forwards (Ighalo mainly) and we would have been done for, but we somehow grinded it out and took the win.

Blind was a ****ing shambles at the back. As a unit we were all over the place but Blind really is all kinds of awful at CB. TMF seemed to be trying to set some sort of all time record for going to ground, too.

Rashford had a good game, Martial was quiet and Depay struggled.

West Brom will be a tough one, hopefully have another face or two back by then.

Super free kick, but yikes. It is amazing how LVG just cannot find the Home form v. lesser sides. We still have 3 or 4 such matches left and simply cannot drop points from them a la Sunderland. Tho it isn't the easiest looking schedule.

Also, great results for us with City, Spurs and Arsenal all losing. City obviously the team we're focused on catching first and foremost but 3 points gained on all of those 3 teams means they are all closer to being dragged in to the 4th place race.

Also, great results for us with City, Spurs and Arsenal all losing. City obviously the team we're focused on catching first and foremost but 3 points gained on all of those 3 teams means they are all closer to being dragged in to the 4th place race.

So true. Incredible how many vital matches were played today and how poorly the top 4 did. How are in this, I really do not know. But Citeh look awful in the league for quite a while now. We could use a Smalling or two back in the lineup.

What a brilliant night of football (forgetting how we performed, but a win is a win)! With the North London derby coming up we can really chase down the pack, as long as we manage to beat WBA!

Rashford was brilliant when he moved on to the wing, showed that there is more to his game than tap ins ;).

Us top 4 and City 5th would be absolutely amazing and it looks like it could realistically happen if we mange to keep going, hell, 10 games left and 10 points off top, no reason why we can't get up there.

How we won that game last night i'll never know.

If Ighalo showed his 2015 form last night if he could have had an hat-trick at least.

Blind was not at his best last night for some reason, good to see Fosu-Mensah get his first start after a good first appearance vs Arsenal on Sunday. That sliding tackle to get the ball he did was superb.

Martial was almost non existant out of the right wing, Rashford was better on the right as opposed to down the middle too for some reason. Depay had a quiet game.

Good to see Darmian come back, hopefully Smalling is ok for Sunday and Carrick will be back too.

How we are joint on points for 4th with City is mad given the points we've chucked away this season.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/03/marcus-rashford-england-roy-hodgson-manchester-united

He's played twice and got four goals in his whole career. At least wait until he's played at least a season ffs :D

Its fine to call him up for the Under 21s, but Euro 2016 is at least a tournament too early for him, think even World Cup 2018 will be too early unless he turns out to be United version of Harry Kane or something.

All it takes is 1-2 good games and you're in line for an England call up. :D

Way too early to be talking about playing for England for Rashford right now, that's the thing with the media in this country, they are so quick to hype a young player to the end of the Earth but also can't wait to drag them down. :(

CcqNMZlWoAA_fDd.jpg

CcqNMeMW0AUDfX3.jpg

Isn't that his quote? It's the media getting into a frenzy over something he didn't actually say.

It would be well harsh to say he has no chance of a call up, what if he scored 20 goals between now and the end of the season? It's very unlikely but he doesn't want to deflate an 18 year old by saying categorically he has no chance. What good would that do?

I feel a need to post a long quote I just read at RedCafe. I got a bit emotional, thinking back. It gives some perspective to our current "troubles" too.

For the young lads on here.........Jimmy Murphy.

Jimmy returned to Old Trafford 6th Feb 1958 after managing the Wales national side and completely oblivious as to what had happened hours before. On his arrival he found the staff in a state of shock as the news trickled through from Munich. After an awful night he flew out to represent the club and be with his boys and his friend.

From his hospital bed, in a rare period of lucidity Sir Matt whispered his players names one by one. Jimmy nodded or shook his head accordingly. After a few moments to take this all in, Sir Matt said. "United will go on, keep the flag flying high Jimmy" before slipping into unconsciousness again.......I suppose that's where the "keep the Red flag flying high" song comes from.

Jimmy then went from player to player with the chief surgeon, he gave each one their chance of survival on a scale of 1 to 10 so he could tell relatives back home.

When they reached Duncans bed, he was lying still but suddenly opened his eyes and asked, “What time is the kick-off against Wolves? I mustn’t miss that game.” United’s next game was indeed against Wolves that weekend. An emotional Murphy bent down to him and whispered, “Three o’clock son.” Duncan replied: “Get stuck in!”. He was also very concerned about his gold watch presented to him by Real Madrid. Jimmy ordered a fresh search of the plane for it, and the battered watch was strapped to his wrist later on.

Bobby Charlton (walking wounded) found him shortly after, sobbing his heart out alone in a quiet corridor. Inconsolable for a short time he then regained his composure and set about Sir Matts' instructions.

He flew back with Geoff Bent, Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, Mark Jones, David Pegg, Tommy Taylor, Liam "Billy" Whelan, Walter Crickmer, Tom Curry and Bert Whalley. They were laid out in the gym at the ground. After informing everybody of the scale and state of things, he galvanised his staff with a view to getting a team for the coming game, a bridge too far even for him. The game was abandoned at kick-off, a huge crowd had turned up, and the Wolves players were all lined up as if to face 'the Babes' but the other half of the pitch was empty...........They were there only to pay their respects.

Tirelessly Jimmy ploughed on with the task in hand from Sir Matts' office with a view to getting a team together for the next game. Rarely going home for sleep and buoyed by news of a dramatic improvement in Big Duncs chances perhaps, and sunk again by the news of Sir Matt getting the last rights once again. I'm sure the words "United will go on, keep the flag flying high Jimmy" must have seemed impossible at times, but on he went.

An obstacle he didn't expect came at that board meeting, they just couldn't see a way past this tragedy and the scale of it all. That's when Jimmy went to make that speech to them.

“Don’t tell me what can’t be done. When Matt Busby brought me here, they told me we’d never make a go of it, that it couldn’t be done. That Manchester United would never make a success. Told us we couldn’t win the league, playing kids. Told us we couldn’t match the best teams in Europe. And every bloody time we proved them wrong, so with respect sir, it can be done, it will be done, I’ll make sure of it.......................

I know those lads better than anyone. I found them. I nurtured them. I was there with them every morning, noon and night, **** and rain and gales and snow. They let me mold their lives from the ground up. They repaid me, they repaid this club with their skill, their passion and now their lives. It’s not about honouring their memory. It’s about showing who we are to the world. Showing we’ll not be bowed by tragedy. Because how we are in the future will be founded on how we behave today.”

Jimmy Murphy, and man who stood strong in the face of all the odds, and loved our club in the purest form.

Thanks Jimmy.

CcqNMZlWoAA_fDd.jpg

CcqNMeMW0AUDfX3.jpg

Isn't that his quote? It's the media getting into a frenzy over something he didn't actually say.

It would be well harsh to say he has no chance of a call up, what if he scored 20 goals between now and the end of the season? It's very unlikely but he doesn't want to deflate an 18 year old by saying categorically he has no chance. What good would that do?

Pretty much exactly what you'd want Hodgson to say. It's highly unlikely he'll get called up unless he shows spectacular from from now until May because then it would be hard to justify ignoring a player in form at that level at the right time for a tournament, but he has to be handled properly so that the pressure and hype that comes from being a youngster at Man Utd doesn't affect him. Stick to U21 at highest for now. Maybe the odd dead rubber qualifier in the 2018 WC qualis against teams like Malta to give him some experience. Last thing you want is another Rooney.

Last thing you want is another Rooney.

Seems strange to say the last thing we want is another player who has won almost every trophy club football has to offer and is now the leading all time goalscorer for his country.

I'd say that's one of the outcomes we'd like the most in 10-15 years.

By which I meant in terms of hype and expectation. Yes Rooney's won a lot of trophies but there's also constant scrutiny on his performances and at times it seems like he burned out by the time he hit 30 and you don't really want that to happen to Rashford. If Rooney's playing well he's the best player England produced, if he doesn't he's overrated and a waste of money and the fans are desperate to show him the door. Even when he plays well some people like to stick the knife in.

By which I meant in terms of hype and expectation. Yes Rooney's won a lot of trophies but there's also constant scrutiny on his performances and at times it seems like he burned out by the time he hit 30 and you don't really want that to happen to Rashford. If Rooney's playing well he's the best player England produced, if he doesn't he's overrated and a waste of money and the fans are desperate to show him the door. Even when he plays well some people like to stick the knife in.

I was being somewhat facetious. Unfortunately the hype is unavoidable, it's more about how he and the club handle it.

Sheesh at this rate United could be looking at 3rd and automatic group stages let along scrapping their way to 4th. Still think the title is a bit beyond them but Arsenal and City are choking horrifically so luck seems to be on United's side so far.

A top 4 of Leicester - Spurs - Man Utd - West Ham would be just about perfect (never gonna happen but it would be so damn funny if it did). And Aston Villa are the sort of calamity of a club that could turn up just once to take points from an out of form City that's lost 3 on the trot.

Leicester continue to plod away in their bid to the title, fair play to them.

Really hope we can get 3 points tomorrow and really have a fantastic end to the season challenging for champions league football. We've been lucky to be let back in with a chance, and 4 wins in a row should be giving the .... teeam? :D some confidence. Feel if we have a forward player back fit tomorrow, Rashford would likely drop to the bench, but hopefully wouldn't knock his confidence.

Looking forwards to the match. Hopefully we go for it.

A top 4 of Leicester - Spurs - Man Utd - West Ham would be just about perfect (never gonna happen but it would be so damn funny if it did). And Aston Villa are the sort of calamity of a club that could turn up just once to take points from an out of form City that's lost 3 on the trot.

Omg, the trolling that would ensue. :D All the teams that laughed at our misfortune for dropping out of the top 4.

Yeah, win is imperative today given that both Arsenal and Spurs dropped 2 points whilst City and West Ham both won. Still don't think the idea of winning the title is even worth considering for a moment, just breakin the top 4 is our goal. Maybe after another 3 rounds of matches if we keep winning and we edge closer to the top then we can entertain the thought but for now, securing CL football is the best we should be expecting. A win puts us 2 points behind arsenal and level with City who would still have a game in hand, but to be 2 points behind 3rd place would have been unbelievable a month back.

We should be looking at at least finishing 3rd. It's just really annoying that we lost so many stupid games this season. Those extra points and we would be right up there.

Although not win today and we're 6th and it all looks like **** again.

Just looked at the table again and it's a huge chance to get in the mix and put pressure on City/Arsenal.

We should be looking at at least finishing 3rd. It's just really annoying that we lost so many stupid games this season. Those extra points and we would be right up there.

Although not win today and we're 6th and it all looks like **** again.

Just looked at the table again and it's a huge chance to get in the mix and put pressure on City/Arsenal.

It's not even the loses that annoy me, think we deserved to get beat in them. It's the 2 draws against Newcastle and Chelsea. Think we were the better team in all 4 games. That's an extra 8 points right there :(

The problem I had with LvG was his perceived shackling of players creativity, drive and reactivity and his overly defensive tactics verses weaker teams. If he is over that then I don't mind him staying for the season. Who knows, maybe he thought it was almost all over and he is retiring anyway so he's just letting the team play. I do have reservations over his possible training methods that might be leaving the players vulnerable to injuries, (not sure if that is true), but at least it allowed some great youth players to cut their teeth.

If this is true maybe we can get a run together and get ahead of our rivals. Or it could all be another false dawn again. :p I guess we will see today.

It's not even the loses that annoy me, think we deserved to get beat in them. It's the 2 draws against Newcastle and Chelsea. Think we were the better team in all 4 games. That's an extra 8 points right there :(

Can't just look at it like that. There have been plenty of games where we have been poor and won. The points tally overall is a very fair reflection of the season.

Archived