Out of interest, Does anybody enjoy Press Conferences?

I really hate this reasoning, i would never touch FMC, cheap way to ignore the fact that press conferences have been the same for years and tiresome

Which is exactly what they are irl but nevertheless they're a big part of football because the media which provides all that cash demands it.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sadly this is becoming more and more common people want to digest their entertainment as fast and in as few chunks as possible anything that takes away from that is a hinderance to them. I despair of it but it's not just happening here.

Exactly, I hope SI is not listening to them.

are you guys serious? i have a feeling most of you FM fans only care about is how quickly you can finish a season and how good the 3D Match Engine is compared to FIFA. all you guys complain is conferences, player interaction, management being to complex etc etc

Personally I hate to rush through seasons and like to enjoy the match, training and tactical elements of the game.

Press conferences though can be repetitive if you are playing a number of matches in one sitting, so I prefer to let my asssitant take them. He is generally quite good, so I let him get on with it and if it has a negative effect on players then fine, that's my fault for not taking the PC myself and I see it as an extra challenge.

It's just annoying when I get a news item saying "Last time out you said Mr Mourinho is rubbish, what is your opinion now?". Well actually I said nothing of the sort, as I never speak about other managers, ever. It was probably my assistant, so ask him!

It's very clear that there's 2 groups here: people who play FM as a reallistic simulator and people who play more for the gaming side. Both are great ways and I find myself switching depending on my save games. It really highligts how amazing FM is!

The arguement I seem to get from people who enjoy press conferences is "play FM Classic". I understand this as the 'press' issue is far smoother. Unfortunately there are some aspects I despise e.e <50,000 players/lack of scouting depth are just some little hindrances. I love the depth of a normal FM career save too much. I believe they could be fun and not bore many who've posted here but the constant repetition is really tiresome. Sending an assistant as others have mentioned often proves a miserable mistake making affair(improvement here perhaps)

Cheers for responses!

I don't want to get rid and that would annoy many. Yet I started this thread to vent frustrations and create debate. This 'aggressive no camp' is a bit odd. It works both ways. I want to create debate in order to better the already great game/simulator we have by suiting all audiences.

Personally I hate to rush through seasons and like to enjoy the match, training and tactical elements of the game.

Press conferences though can be repetitive if you are playing a number of matches in one sitting, so I prefer to let my asssitant take them. He is generally quite good, so I let him get on with it and if it has a negative effect on players then fine, that's my fault for not taking the PC myself and I see it as an extra challenge.

It's just annoying when I get a news item saying "Last time out you said Mr Mourinho is rubbish, what is your opinion now?". Well actually I said nothing of the sort, as I never speak about other managers, ever. It was probably my assistant, so ask him!

i can understand if someone does not want to do all the press conferences due to repetitiveness, that is why there are ways out such as ask assistant, i even use it sometimes like you.

What annoys me is people want to remove the feature which is like punching a hole on a football, you are dumbing down FM and making it less of what it's meant to be

No, and even though the tunnel interviews are an improvement (they are short and it seems like they shortened regular pressers instead), it still needs a serious revamp. I have no doubt that said revamp will be one of the main features in a future version. Basically it's a good concept but it needs randomization to keep things interesting. Design an RPG-like dialog tree with lets say 50 different answers, assign an identifier to each of them noting their differences as well and depending on the situation and context, and wording of the question, you should have different answers that actually mean something (choices and consequences). Not just "manager X answered Y the last time" but how about journos and tabloids actually calling you out for something you said a few months ago? I like the journos ringing you up and asking you one or two questions, those are much more interesting than the generic press conferences that ask the same things over and over and over.

i can understand if someone does not want to do all the press conferences due to repetitiveness, that is why there are ways out such as ask assistant, i even use it sometimes like you.

What annoys me is people want to remove the feature which is like punching a hole on a football, you are dumbing down FM and making it less of what it's meant to be

True. Even though I don't use them myself, I don't think getting rid completely is a good idea. They just need some improvement. At the moment (and since they were introduced) they are repetitive, predictable and therefore boring. But they are a part of football management and I bet Brendan Rodgers is fed up of hearing the same questions over and over again.

What it needs is a major improvement, something which doesn't appear to have happened since it was first introduced.

Next thing you know we'll be trying to get rid of injuries. Its called Football Manager for a reason and I think the point is to simulate being a football manager..

I think they are meant to be annoying otherwise why else would someone pick a answer that may cause a negative effect. Like telling a guy to back off or storm out of the room? I personally chose one of those just because a guy asked me the same thing.

True. Even though I don't use them myself, I don't think getting rid completely is a good idea. They just need some improvement. At the moment (and since they were introduced) they are repetitive, predictable and therefore boring. But they are a part of football management and I bet Brendan Rodgers is fed up of hearing the same questions over and over again.

What it needs is a major improvement, something which doesn't appear to have happened since it was first introduced.

i agree with you it needs major improvement, and yeah managers in real life would get annoyed if questions are always repeated, hopefully SI improves it to a more extent for FM 2016, the solution is not to remove it completely though.

That is the only solution i can think of is an OFF and ON Feature when setting up a new game in FM?

Because of the unavoidable repetitiveness of the questions and possible answers, these press talks do not add realism at all, but quite the opposite. They feel mechanical, automated, phoney. That's my humble opinion. I would like to have an option to play without them, even in the "full" game.

It takes away the realism, immersion and time from doing other things :) having five predefined answers (plus 'no comment') to any question is anything but realistic (especially since most (all?) answers are basically "I strongly agree", "I somewhat agree", "I don't know", "I somewhat disagree" and "I strongly disagree"). And as I've said, they often (in FM14) miss important events in the game (referee errors, mostly) and focus on some completely irrelevant stuff. Or how I hate when I sell some nobody from the reserves, and then they keep asking me how I feel about him coming back to play against his former club EVERY time we play his new team.

Hmm, I might just as well fast-click 'no comment' to get through the press as quickly as possible. Now why didn't I think of that sooner? :D

It takes away the realism, immersion and time from doing other things :) having five predefined answers (plus 'no comment') to any question is anything but realistic (especially since most (all?) answers are basically "I strongly agree", "I somewhat agree", "I don't know", "I somewhat disagree" and "I strongly disagree"). And as I've said, they often (in FM14) miss important events in the game (referee errors, mostly) and focus on some completely irrelevant stuff. Or how I hate when I sell some nobody from the reserves, and then they keep asking me how I feel about him coming back to play against his former club EVERY time we play his new team.

Hmm, I might just as well fast-click 'no comment' to get through the press as quickly as possible. Now why didn't I think of that sooner? :D

How about a button that says "Answer all questions with a "no comment", forever and always." And make it the default setting, even.

If so I'd like to hear your views. The occasional new questions added every year 'bubble' has already burst. I find them far too repetitive and the pre-match interviewer questions drive me to boredom.

I respect that FM's reallistic etc but above all it's a game...

Views/opinions?

No Comment.

Ask Allen Iverson how he feel about irrelevant questions...

Practice? we talking about practice? not the game I just played my heart out, but practice?

I would have said it added to the realism, as they are part of a real football managers life, and they add to the immersion, as its another area you can be involve in. As for it takes time away from other things, its such a small amount of time, i really dont know what you your missing out on, by taking part in them.

Agreed, it's like a filling a brief survey every 10 minutes.

I would have said it added to the realism, as they are part of a real football managers life, and they add to the immersion, as its another area you can be involve in. As for it takes time away from other things, its such a small amount of time, i really dont know what you your missing out on, by taking part in them.

I'd say it doesn't add to the realism. The only realistic thing about them is that they exist. Every press conference for me is "OH GOD NOT AGAIN", but I do it because I don't want my assistant manager to annoy my whole squad. I'm actually a "Media friendly boss". Oh, the irony :D

I don't use the assistant for anything... Maybe for team reports and for individual team talks occasionally, and that's it. I've also turned off his advice during the match. Oh, right, I let him set some of the opposition instructions. I set the rest myself. The assistant isn't exactly the brightest bulb there is :p

What exactly do you use your assistant for? Get one that's good at motivating and talking to the media then.

Yea seem like the on off button is already there. Got a Asst manager with those bad stats then expect bad results. If the asst man has great stats in those areas and you get bad results more often then you should, then you should report that as a bug..

Yea seem like the on off button is already there. Got a Asst manager with those bad stats then expect bad results. If the asst man has great stats in those areas and you get bad results more often then you should, then you should report that as a bug..

Nobody is going to be perfect, including you. Hire a good Assistant and you don't have to worry about it again.

Does anybody enjoy Press Conferences? Sometime but they should have options in preference menu where they turn off Press conferences or other things you dont want to make your game faster. Does anyone remember Premier League Manager on Amiga where you turn off some divisions or The Manager on Amiga where you turn off what you dont want :D

Agreed, it's like a filling a brief survey every 10 minutes.

Great idea! SI could give out the game for free and have us fill in interest surveys in place of press conferences.

Or replace the pressers with football trivia questions instead. Get them all correct for a morale boost; fumble on the easy ones and lose respect from your squad.

What exactly do you use your assistant for? Get one that's good at motivating and talking to the media then.

This is what I do. I think a lot of FMers underestimate how useful an assistant manager can be. I let mine do all press conferences and team talks and he very rarely upsets my players and if he does, then it's only ever 1 at a time, never the whole squad.

To be honest, I am more likely to annoy more players than he does by saying something wrong in private chats.

I like them. I don't buy the game for the press conferences or anything, but they add an important player managing tool, even if there is work on how the players react at times (this goes for team talks too). Anyone who has seen post-match conferences (they show them on a closed circuit in my clubs stadium), knows you don't need 500 questions, because they basically they ask the same 10 ones anyway. Sure, they word them differently every time, but more times than not it's "What did you like about your game", "What didn't you like" followed by a couple of questions about player X and Y. The thing I miss is that at least in Belgium managers would be side by side for them, giving the option to react immediately to what the other one says.

I do agree about press conferences in the lower leagues, they could be toned down. 5 questions about a player nobody but my scouts know or care about is a bit overkill.

That option is there, use your assistant and you will never see them again. Honestly it boggles the minds how people can just dismiss a fundamental part of the footballing world, Imagine if i started a thread on removing training or injuries because frankly they annoy me as much as some of you claim press conferences annoy you.

We're not dismissing it, we want it done in another, more entertaining way. The assistant will not say the things I would say, so I don't want him to take the press conferences for me.

I want them executed in a more game-like way. You know, give me a chance to have a "It's a FACT" rant. Or say that my team is a little horse. Or something like that. Not have me fill in a questionnaire every time with identical questions and answers every bloody time.

I want them executed in a more game-like way. You know, give me a chance to have a "It's a FACT" rant. Or say that my team is a little horse. Or something like that. Not have me fill in a questionnaire every time with identical questions and answers every bloody time.

You want those answers/rants, for what reason?

Realism I'd guess, but that would need hundreds of alternative choices for each answer.

That may sound impractical, but I think is necessary when you look at the "how many hours have you invested in FM" thread.

Realism I'd guess, but that would need hundreds of alternative choices for each answer.

It's still a silly argument. The whiners don't want assistant managers answering questions, because they're so scared the AM will say something that angers the squad.

If you say your team is a little horse, your team will be angered. You go on a FACT! rant, they might not be happy. Adding more things to anger the squad is a strange view. If you want to do something entertaining, choose Storm Out.

Who's going to go on a FACT! rant more than once? Or call their team a little horse more than once? The novelty will wear off and as Kriss says, you'd need 100s of these to keep in "entertaining". Even then, I wonder how many would really use it.

It's halfway point of the Championship season and I'm 4th. The assistant reccomends me to conduct a meeting following a good run of form. I praise the players on their form and say to try to kick on for a promotion push.

The players reacted negatively.

Although not a press conference, this highlights a flaw:

1) the system's wrong as why on earth would they react badly to that.,.

2) My assistant can't be trusted

No way am I trusting my assistant to constantly mess up. Ask yourself: in the lower leagues, is it realistic to find an assistant who can do his media duties decently and also possess other attributes? Compensation lower league teams can't spare in the game.

We appreciate that press conferences aren't entertaining. Personally I play FM mostly as a game rather than simulator. Obviously nothing's perfect etc but this system really bores me as someone who looks to FM for fun and enjoyment rather than being a 24/7 Pep Guardiola. I simply haven't got the time and energy to muster the same responses to find the right answer for repeated questions such as 'How was your relationship with Magnus Wolf Eikrem'(along those lines) for the third time when I sold him in the first transfer window...

My team play like a little horse sometimes.

I'm very much in the camp of the media module needing a serious revamp. The media is a key and important part of life as a football manager, and it should be in the game as a concept. However, the implementation as it stands doesn't add very much- it is repetitive, it is tedious, and it ultimately doesn't mean a great deal in the grand scheme of things. So I'd argue that's unrealistic, if anything.

The thing is, it feels like it doesn't have to be- the media involvement IRL is what creates the scandals, the debate, the rumours, the feuds and rivalries between managers. It's what creates stories out of the matches, rather than them just being matches, particularly at higher levels. But the game isn't doing a very good job of reflecting that by repeating the same pot of questions with the same pot of answers, resulting in a couple of copy/paste email articles. Some of that may be tied with some of the legality stuff which means SI has to tread carefully with what they say about real people, I guess. But there is no personality, no opinion to either the questions or the answers, and it's presented in an uninspiring, dull fashion that doesn't make it seem to be of any importance. Part of it is also being constrained by the set answers- we can't say what we want, or steer the conversation in any way.

The problem is, I don't know what the answer is to improving the module, and I hate criticising something so harshly without having an alternative proposal of my own. I'm not saying every interview needs to have Russell Brand coming in and giving us a smacker, but with the frequency of them, I think there is a need to make them a bit more involving from a gameplay perspective.

Archived