What's going on with Spain's keepers then?

BoroPhil

Not following Spanish football closely, it appears that Spain's captain and no.1, Casillas, barely played a league game for RM last season. but he played in the CL games?

and RM's league keeper, Diego Lopez didn't even get in the Spain squad?

eh?

Not following Spanish football closely, it appears that Spain's captain and no.1, Casillas, barely played a league game for RM last season. but he played in the CL games?

and RM's league keeper, Diego Lopez didn't even get in the Spain squad?

eh?

Well...you've answered your question! :D

Casillas (bar the poor Champions League final) had an excellent season and was one of the main reasons why they even made it to the final - if Diego López had played against Dortmund in the second leg I'm sure they'd have been knocked out. He was good in Copa del Rey games too, while Diego López wasn't really as good as he was in the second half of 2012/13.

Then there's the fact that Iker has been sensational for Spain for years now.

How often has Casillas been poor for Spain?

All players have bad games every now and then, the problem is when they always have. Casillas will probably do much better next time (s).

Real Madrid have treated Casillas so poorly the last 2 seasons, theres no reason at all that Diego Lopez should be starting over him and Keepers need runs of games to keep sharp

How many bad games has Casillas had for Spain? Was he the only player to blame today?

I dont know about the first part of your question and although he did not have a good game, his defence were a far bigger reason for todays result and a massive reason as to why he looked so poor

Think he's to blame for the 1st goal (too far ahead), maybe half of the blame for the 4th one (shouldn't be passing around the ball when the opponent is putting full-field pressure)

3rd goal is a 50-50 foul call on RVP, depending on the referee and the scoreline

Think he's to blame for the 1st goal (too far ahead), maybe half of the blame for the 4th one (shouldn't be passing around the ball when the opponent is putting full-field pressure)

3rd goal is a 50-50 foul call on RVP, depending on the referee and the scoreline

Was fouled for the 3rd but still should have got something on it.

At fault for 3 goals, and let's not forget CL final that recently happened.

I don't watch Madrid much but honestly can't remember seeing him have a good game when I've watched him in a long time.

If this was any other goalie in the world (apart from Neuer/Buffon) he'd be a laughing stock, living purely on reputation now.

Iker is the captain, not as simple as dropping him just like that. He probably carries such a huge presence around the changing room Del Bosque will not want to aggravate him. Jose did and that caused massive rifts within the dressing room.

If Green could be dropped after one howler despite making a couple of saves against USA, then after last night's horror showing, Casillas should be dropped too. It's not like Reina or De Gea cant do a job.

You're arguing that as if Green has a higher reputation than Casillas?

Was fouled for the 3rd but still should have got something on it.

At fault for 3 goals, and let's not forget CL final that recently happened.

I don't watch Madrid much but honestly can't remember seeing him have a good game when I've watched him in a long time.

If this was any other goalie in the world (apart from Neuer/Buffon) he'd be a laughing stock, living purely on reputation now.

Not sure you can criticise a player so much when you don't watch his team often...

He was poor last night but he was excellent in pretty much every game of last season except the final.

What I'm saying is Casillas is living off of past reputation and if it was any other keeper he would be dropped in a heartbeat. Reina and DDG might not have as big of an influence as Casillas, but they have a full season under their belts and would not disappoint if they were to step into the net.

Thing with Iker, he usually bounces back and is formidable after he's had a howler. Would not be surprised if he's now solid for rest of tournament likewise the Spainish defence (shouldn't have dropped Arbeloa :p:lol: ), last night was a wake up call if they ever needed one. Their play was just so naive defensively.

Well Casillas was fantastic all season in the Champions League so it's pretty ridiculous to say he's finished etc off the back of one game. Ramos was worse then him last night anyway, rather drop him.

He did have a shocker in the final though.

Yeah but it's not just José is it? At first I thought it might just be politics with him and Iker, but now Carlo doesn't see him as first choice either I don't think it's that. I believe it's what we saw last night. Diego Lopez is more reliable nowadays. Infact José played Iker more than Carlo does. Two of the best managers don't see him as first choice, that's pretty damning.

I wouldn't drop him right now because the drama wouldn't be worth it, but after this World Cup he'd be gone if he still isn't Madrid's #1.

It's the fact Lopez didn't do much wrong to deserve to be dropped when Carlo came in as league keeper, during the season Lopez made some absolute howlers though whilst Iker remained solid in the UCL (bar the final) so Lopez should have been dropped but he didn't and no doubt that had an impact on them not winning the league which was a huge mistake by Carlo. Reckon he'll be back to being number one next season in all comps bar Copa Del Rey unless they decide to cash in and chase someone like de Gea.

I'm the opposite, I think it was the right decision to keep him as first choice going into the tournament but think that after last night's game he should be dropped. He won't be though, so no point discussing it I guess.

Diego López isn't more reliable though, anyone who regularly watches Real Madrid could tell you that, he just isn't criticised because he doesn't have Iker's rep. Oh and Mourinho dropped Casillas for Adán initially, so it was never really about him thinking Diego López was a better keeper.

im not really sure what you expect him to do for the first, the only way hed have saved it was by staying glued to his line, which im pretty sure no keeper in the world would have done

Oh and whoever it was comparing Robert Green being dropped to whether or not Casillas should be dropped :lol:

Thing with Iker, he usually bounces back and is formidable after he's had a howler. Would not be surprised if he's now solid for rest of tournament likewise the Spainish defence (shouldn't have dropped Arbeloa :p:lol: ), last night was a wake up call if they ever needed one. Their play was just so naive defensively.
lol you were saying ?

Archived