Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SI or mods

Sorry for the repost, but the threads seem to get no feedback. In short: can anyone confirm that training tactics familiarity in preseason is borked?

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370690-Help.-team-not-gaining-any-tactics-familiarity

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/370512-Training-tactics-familiarity-bug

Cheers

After playing 3 - 4 months after the patch, fullbacks are still a bit buggered.

I've had some success with this issue by asking my inside forwards to stay wider, I noticed the worst results where coming against teams who would look to exploit the flanks. Due to me playing inside forwards and short passing I believe I got to narrow and then using Wing Backs just made it even worse. Here are the average ratings for all my full backs (L5G=Last 5 Games),

Nathanial Clyne Apps 29 Avr 7.61 L5G 7.90

Luke Shaw Apps 18 Avr 7.76 L5G 7.02

Kieran Gibbs Apps 10 Avr 7.48 L5G 7.08

Bacary Sagna Apps 14 Avr 7.40 L5G 7.20

This is over a couple of versions which is why I included the last 5 games as they are definitely on the current match engine. I'm not saying their isn't an issue but its impact can be reduced by adding a little width back into the tactic.

But everything is OK if you use 2D?!

Unplayable is a strong word and it is often misused.

The game is perfectly playable but has a few bugs which are already in the process of being fixed.

for me the ME is the most important area of the game , because i used to play it from 2009 , now i have to wait for ME update hope to release soon

Couple of observations on ME (sorry if already raised)

1. Surprisingly few shots from distance. 5 seasons in and have only seen a handful max of goals from outside box and none from c. 25yds+ apart from 1-2 freaks (i.e. none intentional). [Playing English PL].

2. Corner bug on LCB running to near post and scoring for fun. Had LCB with 20 goals in one season!

3. Crosses hitting the bar awful lot.

4. Not bug, but still frustrating - last highlight (say 20secs left), why when behind do players still insist on passing around the MF without pressing for the goal. V annoying!

5. Don't recall seeing a volley or a diving header. Jumping headers yes.

In general think ME working well, but feel the areas above are a little out of sync with what we see in the modern game. Would be nice to see something inspirational in the ME on rare occasion!

madsheep probably just bugs right now that make things look different to what they are ty for comment

That's fair enough, no one is saying there are not any bugs, or that some tactical issues are not being exacerbated by bugs in certain scenarios. But we're just pointing out the idea that the ME "favours" the AI is completely wrong.

It's your tactics :p

Actually, it was probably my team selection. I forgot to reinsert a key player who'd been suspended and had a green replacement, who made a couple of horrible mistakes that allowed the last minute goal in the first match and at least one of the three goals in the second match.

Maybe I should suggest an Ass Man function that reminds the user that a player has returned from injury or suspension prior to submitting your team. Something like "John Smith is now available for selection again after his suspension. Bob White is also match fit after his recent injury. Are you sure you wish to submit your team?"

This year's Match engine ruins it all.

I am a player since CM 93/94 - Italy.. Never missed a game.

This year's version, is totaly unplayable. 2013 version was such a disapointing game too, but this year... i just can't play the game.

FM14 all looks random.

Players don't defend, tackle, close down. None of them. Fullbacks are worthless. What a hell are they doing in the match??

FM2012 had such a good engine, why not copy it from there and make it better?

oh well :(

It hasnt. It's got a few issues, but it hasnt. You should probably actually play it for yourself.

Will those issues be fixed in regards to the ME soon?

Well I will only play it and even buy it when there arent all these problems and so will hope future updates will fix the problems.

Has the transfer bug been logged in the bugs forum? I.e the One about it changing the price offered.

If you are not sure its been logged, definitely create a thread. Better to have a duplicate thread, than not have it raised at all. Someone will most likely see it by Monday, if not I will try and get an SI bod to comment on it for you

If you haven't played it, how can you know any of this feedback is spot on?

Because alot of people are saying the same thing, and I highly doubt their feedback is wrong if quite a few people are saying the same thing.

So I refuse to play the demo until updates are made to the full game which resolve the issues.

FM14 all looks random.

I agree. Was a great fan of the series from FM 10 to FM 12 because i had everything under control and the game felt just believable. Now it feels completely random. Sometimes i loose 3-5, next match i win 1-0 and if im really honest i have no idea why. And thats the worst thing that can happen to a football manager game.

Going back to FM 12 and hope for a patch that finally brings back the good old days.:-(

Because alot of people are saying the same thing, and I highly doubt their feedback is wrong if quite a few people are saying the same thing.

So I refuse to play the demo until updates are made to the full game which resolve the issues.

Lots of people saying the same thing doesn't mean they are right (they are only right on some of the issues, and wrong on others), interesting very few people picked out the single biggest issue with the defending. You're entitled not to play the demo, but I'm not sure how you can then leave "feedback", on a game you are not even playing, just clogging up the thread.

I agree. Was a great fan of the series from FM 10 to FM 12 because i had everything under control and the game felt just believable. Now it feels completely random. Sometimes i loose 3-5, next match i win 1-0 and if im really honest i have no idea why. And thats the worst thing that can happen to a football manager game.

Going back to FM 12 and hope for a patch that finally brings back the good old days.:-(

I'm not a complete defender of the game (like some are), but what is the issue in losing 5-3 and then winning? Are Norwich destined to lose their next game because they lost to City?

You can do a workaround of using Ctrl + PrtSc then paste the imagine into paint. We'll look into this, thanks.

Haven't confirmed it works with FM14, but Steam also has a screenshots feature. Just hit F12 to take as many as you like and then browse through them once you quit the game.

I'm not a complete defender of the game (like some are), but what is the issue in losing 5-3 and then winning? Are Norwich destined to lose their next game because they lost to City?

We get too accustomed to winning by the end of a previous iteration of FM. Either we've designed a tactic the ME can't cope with, hoovered up all the world's great players, and/or seen many of the AI teams sink into shadows of their former selves. We forget that sport is random and get addicted to patterns. If those patterns don't appear in the next FM (and they won't, at least at first, because many of the flaws that allowed them will have been fixed), we cry foul and broken.

In reality, Chelsea have just lost to Newcastle after Newcastle just lost to a previously terrible Sunderland. First match of the season, Arsenal got ripped apart by a very ordinary Villa only to look magnificent thereafter. Man Utd can't string two decent performances together. Swansea are randomness personified. You cannot use randomness as evidence the game is broken. It's evidence the game is working. The whole point of the game is you have to work out how to minimise it to your advantage, which takes time every iteration.

Its not about winning and then losing. Its about believability. I have no problem if i win 4-2 against Stoke and then lose 0-2 against ManU. But if i lose 3-5 at home against Stoke and then win 3-0 against Chelsea and this happens all the time (just an example), it just let me think that the game does whatever it wants.

Hi everybody

Sorry for my English because its only my 4th language, so I'll do my best and hope you'll take the time to read my post. Thanks in advance.

First of all, I'd like to thank SI for creating such a fantastic game. Its certainly not easy at all to program a complex game like Football Manager.

Some people must remember that SI Developers never rest on their laurels! On the contrary, they work hard for improving the game even after the release!

Personally, although I'm not enjoying FM14 yet and despite some major and minor bugs/issues (that I'm sure will be fixed soon), I take my hat off to SI!

I'm not blindly defending the game by denying the real issues but I actually believe that SI deserves respect for the work they're doing every year.

So, My Respects to SI! :thup:

This said, I'd like to share the issues that I've encountered while testing FM14.

I had started a quick save with Barça in order to test the Match Engine and the New Tactic System.

My aim was to try to play as much as possible like Barcelona did during the Guardiola era.

Now, I'd created a successful 4-5-1 tactic. In short, the result was the following:

• average of 68% possession/match
  • 2.6goals/match
  • 20 matches played 19 wins 1 draw
  • 14 clean sheats
  • Xavi/Iniesta/Busquets had each +-70 balls/match and Messi +-35.
  • Messi was the main scorer with 24 goals but did less assists (only 4).

I tried to increase the number of balls touched by these players during a match and also to increase the number of goals/assists of Messi but it wasn't simple at all.

Anyway, despite being successful I didn't enjoy it because my aim is not to achieve success by all means, but to achieve success with a specific way of playing.

First of all, I am going to explain the way I'd like to see my Inside Forwards(IF) & Full Backs (FB) behaving on the field.

Therefore I’ll use an image of a football pitch divided in different zones:

jt5hrd.jpg

1. Now, I want that the IF cut inside with and without the ball from zone 13/15 to zone 14/17 and that the FB get past an opponent to zone 16/18.
  2. If the IF chooses to cut inside with the ball I want him to opt for a pass in order to combine with other teammates in zone 14 rather than a long distance shot.
  3. I don't want them to dribble straight from zone 13/15 to the end of zone 16/18 like wingers would do. No big deal if they do it in the penalty box are of zone 16/18!
  4. Instead of continuing to dribble until the end of zone 16/18 I rather prefer that my IF stop dribbling when they are between zone 13/15 or 16/18 and pass the ball around e.g. in zone 14. Only if a FB provides an option of pass in zone 16/18, only then I’d like to see him passing in this zone so that the FB can cross or cut inside with ball.
  5. If they choose the option for dribbling straight then I rather prefer that they dribble until the middle of zone 16/18 because if they go further or run with the ball to the corner arc zone they lock themself what results in inefficient crosses, losing the ball stupidly and corners.
  6. If the IF or FB stay wide between zone 15 and 18 or is in zone 18 I want him to run or dribble diagonaly into the penalty box nearby the near post so that he gives a pass or makes a drilled cross into the goal box or to the penalty mark.

As Zone 14 is one of the most important goal scoring zones, I wanted to find a way to increase the ball circulation in this zone of the pitch.

Issues that I've came across: (some are already known issues & under review)

1. Whatever player instructions I gave them they often try to dribble until the end of zone 16/18 and to cross, what results, like I said before, in too many corners.
    My team had an average of 15 corners/match! I've also reached 2 times 21 corners/match... :s
    This is not realistic at all, when we know that the average total corners/match in La Liga is 10.3 for the last 5 seasons.
  2. Also, whatever the player instructions I've given the IF, when they cut inside with the ball and are in zone 14 the first option they choose is to shoot from distance.
  3. I’ve also noticed some issues with the False 9 role:
    a. The False 9 doesn't drop deep enough, as I'd like it, to connect with the midfield and so let him touch 50-70 balls/match.
    b. The False 9 also has a tendency to shoot from long distance in zone 14 as priority instead of opting for a pass or a dribble (whatever player instructions).
    Therefore the F9 is wasting too many occasions. This is also true for all the other players that come near the penalty arc.
    It’s a pity, because otherwise, especially the F9 will score more goals and make more assits.
  4. The CD who attacks the near post in the corners scores too easily :s This is most likely a bug in the ME. (Mascherano scored 5 & Pique 3 goals after only 20 matches)
  5. When you set corners and throw ins to "short", the opposition never marks your player who meets the ball.
  6. The total amount of shots during a match is also a bit unrealistic. Among others, probably due to bad decisions taken by the players (long distance shots instead of pass).
  7. I've noticed that the players hesitates to much & wait too long (bad decisions), and the short passes are sometimes not kicked hard enough.
  8. Poor defending & bad finishing/composure of strikers.
  9. Messi has kicked sometimes free-kicks and attempted many long range shots with his right foot...
  10. When players lose the ball they fall easily to the ground (especially faceplants :)). Also true for non-Barcelona players, I can see it coming :)!
  11. Although I had an average of 68% possession the board wasn't pleased with the Possession Football the team was playing. (Ok for Attacking football)
  12. And of course like everybody knows: low ratings, especially the FB's.

When I was playing FM14 I felt like players were obsessed by long-range shots & didn't try to apply their instructions :).

I remember e.g. when I played with Barça on FM10 10.3 I had almost never long distance shots. The players wanted to go with the ball almost in the goal rather than shoot from distance.

I rather prefer that they combine patiently, with short passes and quick one/two-touches, near the penalty arc and the penalty box instead of shooting from distance and wasting goal or pass opportunities, but I think, maybe I'm wrong, that its impossible with the current ME because whatever the instructions are, players rather prefer to shoot then to give a pass when they are outside the penalty box.

When I play FM with Top European Teams I'd like to be able to play and score like this or like

. Is this really possible with FM14's ME?

Finally, maybe some of the issues are due to my tactics and some are due to ME limits/issues, anyway I just wanted to give my feedback.

To coclude, I've decided to wait for FM15 (but maybe in April I'll replay FM14)

I appreciate that you've taken your time for reading this post.

NB: In my opinion, after a few patches, FM14 will be the best version ever made until now.

Long Live SI, Long Live FM

Cheers,

Ali

True, but he was saying that "not knowing why" was the problem, not the results themselves.

The tools are all there to analyse why you win and lose games. The 3D match graphics are effectively just eye candy, brought in to make it look more 'real' but with the issues with a lot of the animations, it can be tricky to work out why things are going wrong. Looking at the match stats or even re-running the key highlights through the 2D display is a good way of picking up on what you did wrong (or right).

In my opinion.

I agree. It's not losing or winning. I don´t feel control on my team. My defenders don´t do nothing...

i really like the improvements in fm14 this year but the one thing i am having problems with are strikers, i have lukaku and lewandowski upfront in my time yet no matter what role i get them to play i cannot get them to score, they consistently have poor ratings, and yes, i'm fully aware that it may be my tactics but i notice even cpu strikers dont score as often as other players, just wondered if anyone else noticed this?

Agree. Strikers are broken. Missing sitters, shooting directly at keeper. Drawing and losing games because of this. ME needs work.

Im done now. I just cant deal with players not doing what they are told. GK shot passing, distribute to defenders however keeps lumping it forward. Playing short patient slow build up & dominating shots but players dont score. Just lost 2 games one nil where i had more than 25 shots and 10-15 on target, no suprise AI have less than 4 shots in total & win.

Its just silly now.

We get too accustomed to winning by the end of a previous iteration of FM. Either we've designed a tactic the ME can't cope with, hoovered up all the world's great players, and/or seen many of the AI teams sink into shadows of their former selves. We forget that sport is random and get addicted to patterns. If those patterns don't appear in the next FM (and they won't, at least at first, because many of the flaws that allowed them will have been fixed), we cry foul and broken.

In reality, Chelsea have just lost to Newcastle after Newcastle just lost to a previously terrible Sunderland. First match of the season, Arsenal got ripped apart by a very ordinary Villa only to look magnificent thereafter. Man Utd can't string two decent performances together. Swansea are randomness personified. You cannot use randomness as evidence the game is broken. It's evidence the game is working. The whole point of the game is you have to work out how to minimise it to your advantage, which takes time every iteration.

Was that passage aimed at me? I was arguing the very same as you, just in less words..

If you are not sure its been logged, definitely create a thread. Better to have a duplicate thread, than not have it raised at all. Someone will most likely see it by Monday, if not I will try and get an SI bod to comment on it for you

Cheers. I'll put a thread up now and then If needed I can upload my save game and send it over tomorrow as I'm on the iPad at the moment.

Defending is atrocious. Simple balls over the top outsmart CB's and there are way too many goals from set pieces. At least 1 a match for me so far. Ridiculous.

Still cannot work out what was fixed in the last update, my LB is on a 5.1 rating despite us winning 2-0. He's lost 2 headers out of 4 though, that must be it...

I'm also still getting strikers miss from 2 yards. Always hit the bar and it's always a header. Game is just deeply unsatisfying atm, really worrying that it's in this state

Im done now. I just cant deal with players not doing what they are told. GK shot passing, distribute to defenders however keeps lumping it forward. Playing short patient slow build up & dominating shots but players dont score. Just lost 2 games one nil where i had more than 25 shots and 10-15 on target, no suprise AI have less than 4 shots in total & win.

Its just silly now.

Do what I did. Revert back to FM13.

I'm in love with the game again.

I'm 100% certain that in 2-3 months FM14 will be just as good if not better.

But until then it's way too buggy and frustrating.

It's perhaps slightly high, it's hardly 'ludicrous'. Given your almost a third of the way through the season, if you multiplied all those figures by three, Arsenal would have scored 18 goals from corners. In real life last season, Manchester United scored the most goals from corners with 15.

It's no wonder you're not enjoying the game when you're trying to pick fault with just about every aspect of it. It's pretty sad, really.

Shocker, you jumping on another complaint.

It is clearly ludicrous, especially when you consider it's the same type of goal. Corner aimed at the new post, CB turns a shoots. Dull. I'm not enjoying the game because it's bug riddled and unsatisfying. Hard to get enjoyment out of game where there are so many similar goals.

If there was a way to show how many team's score from crosses that would prove this too.

Pick fault with every aspect? Sorry if I find too many shots and goals from crosses a bug. Sorry if I find the player ratings bug (after being told it was fixed) frustrating, especially when it hampers morale. I'm definitely sorry if I don't find strikers consistently heading on or over the bar from 2 yards out realistic.

This just doesn't feel like football. The game for me has actually become more bug ridden with every update. I'm done until the next update comes out

i'm sorry but this is just horrible, players not doing what their told to do and fullbacks keep behaving strangely and constantly running out of position, center backs are dropping sooooo deep when opposition have the ball, constantly inviting pressure and its like when the AI have the ball, your defenders keep running back or either out of position thus leaving more space, its incredible, i'm done until they fix all these problems......rant over!

I agree this game needs some work, but give them an opportunity to make it right. Every game ive played has needed tweaking. This is a very complicated and complex game as I read one of the moderators state. I am giving it a few day break and I have optimism the SI team will right the ship. Constructive critisism is whats really needed with pkms and proof of the issues. They will fix it.

Archived