FM14: The Sky Bet Football League Thread - Sponsored by William Hill

Hoarau

@ G-Man: I'm more than happy if you want to do a Coventry thread, your example looked good to me and I know you have all the facts to do it justice. I enjoyed a six-year spell with them in FM13 so quite fancy this harder challenge (especially as Wilson has been upgraded significantly). Cheers in advance.

@ Gunner: Welcome home! I'd say that's a good choice with the squad available at MK Dons and they're another team I considered myself as they look well primed for promotion. Interestingly, given your final FM13 save, Oldham players seem to be very well rated this time around - you weren't tempted back?

@ Hoarau: I'm surprised you say Fleetwood don't have much of a budget available. How much do you start with? I agree the starting squad is very strong and they appear to be another club that look very capable of achieving promotion in season 1. They're probably another I will try out - Matt, Hughes and several others should be excellent at L2 level. By the way, I think your 'direct' style is going to be spot on, and if I go L2 or lower that's my preferred approach too.

Good luck to you all (seeing Forest, Brentford, Crewe and QPR added shows how diverse our choices are).

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always find it difficult to go straight back in with a team on the new game as I always find myself comparing it too much to my previous save on the previous version. Seem a decent enough team do The Dons! Looking forward to it.

Finally seem to have settled on a save with Ipswich after messing about with a few teams.

Results so far have been:

Reading 1 - 2 Ipswich

Ipswich 2 - 2 Millwall

QPR 1 - 3 Ipswich

Ipswich 3 - 2 Leeds

All this leaves me sitting top of the league, not happy with the number of goals I'm conceding, particularly considering the quality of my defence.

Also into the 3rd Round of the League Cup.

In terms of transfers, I signed Michael Keane and Craig Conway, both on loan, and let Frank Nouble go to Bournemouth on a two season loan. Both of my signings are out of contract at the end of the season, and so hopefully won't be re-signed, as both would be great free transfers, be it in the Premiership or the Championship.

Sitting top after around 15 games in my QPR save. Spent a fair bit of £ buying Jordon Mutch for £4m and Jon Walters for £1m. Ciani on loan from Lazio is a must buy, 4 goals in 10 games as a CB!

Nice signing there in Mutch £4M is a steal gonna be a hella player on FM , always rated him @ the Blues and wow!, what a CB! :applause:

Just coming into the middle of February and currently still top of the league on 70 points :D , Wigan on 55 in 2nd and QPR in 3rd on 50 points.

Signed Iaquinta on a free with Lovenkrands going on a free to Scunny, still sticking to the "one out one in" policy and slowly reducing the wage bill, first time the board reported were predicting a profit in the coming months, so all good and trying my best to balance the books

Top 3 players

David Murphy - 7.98

Kyle Bartley - 7.80

Dan Burn - 7.78

Those 3 have been a colossus in defence for me especially in my last game away to Watford, they totally annihilated me but sneaked the 3 points :thup:

Will update at the end of the season and unless it goes tits up...should be more to update on the transfer front if I go up, so far been pretty poor in regards of signings and its my favourite part of the game!!

:D

Is anyone doing a Crewe Alex thread? I would do but I don't have the time to do it justice. I'm currently them and looking to play only home grown players. Be nice if someone did one am sure there will be some fans on here.

I'm pretty sure someone has said they're going to write one, though I can't remember their name. I do remember saying that they were waiting until the full game was released though.

Anyone else playing as QPR? I think its probably one of the toughest challenges on the game this year if you want to play it correctly and make sure the club follows the FFP rules.

The main issue is that the club start out with a wage deficit of -£200,000!! So I decided to make some major changes and follow the clubs mentality in loaning out the big earners and if I get promoted they'll slot straight back in :)

So far I've gotten rid of:

Zamora

Chevanton

Wright-Phillips

Ephraim

Balanta (Loan)

Brian Murphy (Loan)

Barton (Loan)

Hoilett (Loan)

Onuoha (Loan)

Young (Loan)

Diakite (Loan)

Due to the terrible wage budget, I've decided to stick to signing free's and loanee's for the coming season, I've kept the core players in my starting 11 such as Green, Dunne, Simpson and Faurlin, but I've brought in:

Boumsong

Bentley

Fahey

Bouma

Jordan Spence - Only player bought, from West ham for £500,000

Donervan Daniels (Loan)

Miyaichi (Loan)

Becchio (Loan)

Albrighton (Loan)

I've also tried offloading Andy Johnson and Julio Cesar but even when offered out for zilch, theres no takers! And I'm also paying a big chunk of Zamora, Wright-Phillips and Luke Youngs wages, so all in all its a real toughie, but I'm enjoying it so far, the lure of getting so many quality players back if you get promoted is a real plus!

Anyone else playing as QPR? I think its probably one of the toughest challenges on the game this year if you want to play it correctly and make sure the club follows the FFP rules.

The main issue is that the club start out with a wage deficit of -£200,000!! So I decided to make some major changes and follow the clubs mentality in loaning out the big earners and if I get promoted they'll slot straight back in :)

So far I've gotten rid of:

Zamora

Chevanton

Wright-Phillips

Ephraim

Balanta (Loan)

Brian Murphy (Loan)

Barton (Loan)

Hoilett (Loan)

Onuoha (Loan)

Young (Loan)

Diakite (Loan)

Due to the terrible wage budget, I've decided to stick to signing free's and loanee's for the coming season, I've kept the core players in my starting 11 such as Green, Dunne, Simpson and Faurlin, but I've brought in:

Boumsong

Bentley

Fahey

Bouma

Jordan Spence - Only player bought, from West ham for £500,000

Donervan Daniels (Loan)

Miyaichi (Loan)

Becchio (Loan)

Albrighton (Loan)

I've also tried offloading Andy Johnson and Julio Cesar but even when offered out for zilch, theres no takers! And I'm also paying a big chunk of Zamora, Wright-Phillips and Luke Youngs wages, so all in all its a real toughie, but I'm enjoying it so far, the lure of getting so many quality players back if you get promoted is a real plus!

Yeah looks a toughie a QPR save as with me managing Birmingham our finances are depleted but have a pretty small squad, you on the other hand have a team full of Journeymen on extravagant wages but probably finances not as restraint once you've got rid of all the deadwood, so looking at it, it can be as much a challenge

Looks interesting

:thup:

Just beat Arsenal in the LC 2-1 followed by a win @ home to Huddersfield 3-2 now sitting pretty on 78 points, Wigan on 57 in 2ND, hope I can continue this run! Injuries are starting to take a toll with 6 out now up next Blackpool away (glad I've got good youth back ups), roll on the end of the season!! :D

If you're in League One or Two then I recommend searching for English players based outside of UK and Ireland.

Olokarede Aiyegbusi

Gary Martin

Luke Mullholland

Andy Rose

George Saunders

Aaron Spear

Sam Tillen

Are the ones I managed to sign. I also looked at Sam Milsom, Jay Simpson and a few others. They won me the league first year with Fleetwood.

Good shout TAoD :thup:

There are a surprisingly high amount of Brits playing around the globe who can be decent for L1/L2 level. Most of them seem to be in Europe but as your list confirms, the MLS, A-league and beyond can unearth a few interesting (and cheap) players.

I particularly like Gary Martin, who performed very well in FM13 and I saw his finishing stats have increased in FM14.

If you're in League One or Two then I recommend searching for English players based outside of UK and Ireland.

Olokarede Aiyegbusi

Gary Martin

Luke Mullholland

Andy Rose

George Saunders

Aaron Spear

Sam Tillen

Are the ones I managed to sign. I also looked at Sam Milsom, Jay Simpson and a few others. They won me the league first year with Fleetwood.

Just to add to this list, Marius Zaliukas, Donal McDermott (on loan though) and Iain Turner.

After an initial dabble with Peterborough, which turned a bit tricky due to the BETA updates, I have started my first ‘proper’ FM14 attempt at a more challenging club. With the game hopefully a little more stable now, and with much to learn about the new features and tactics, I wanted to test myself in a situation where there was little in the way of expectations.

Shrewsbury Town start in League 1 with a mammoth first-team squad of just 15, including a back-up ‘keeper aged 38 (also doubling up as GK coach), and a borrowed striker (on-loan until January 2014). The U21 (Reserves) squad boasts a further five players, including a third ‘keeper, three youngsters, and a midfielder already out on loan.

The media prediction of 23rd is perhaps a little harsh for a club that does have a transfer kitty of £50k, but now that this ‘fund’ must absorb all agent fees and loyalty bonuses, that little pot doesn’t stretch far when it’s clear to see that the squad urgently needs extra numbers.

If you accept this challenge, your breakdown of players is as follows:

First Team (15) GK x 2, DC x 4, DL x 1, CM x 4, ML x 1, MR x 1, ST x 2

Reserves (4) GK x 1, DC x 1, ML x 1, ST x 1

Between the sticks, Chris Weale is advancing in years (31) but is one of your better players and unquestionably a better option than 38-year old player/coach Danny Coyne. Weale is also one of your biggest financial assets at £250k.

The first thing you probably noticed in the breakdown above is that your squad contains no right-back. One of the central defenders (Connor Goldson) can play there but it’s not really his best position. Still, needs must, and the 20-year old will need to occupy the right-back role until or unless you can recruit a more suitable option. The experienced (past their mediocre best) duo of Darren Jones and Tamika Mkandawire will therefore have little competition in the middle, as one of your other three central defenders (Dave Winfield) starts off injured. That isn’t meant to suggest that Winfield should be a starting option in any case. At left-back, you can rely on Joe Jacobson to perform at a decent level (which is good, as you have no back-up for him anyway). The Welshman, who is also your best free-kick taker, could perform as a wing-back too - but given that your right-sided defender is a converted centre-back with little attacking flair, a flat four-man defence is probably the way to go.

In central midfield, you do at least have choices, although none of them are particularly outstanding. Without any real natural strongman, it probably falls upon David McAllister to have the least expressive role, and he should become the more defensive of your pairing. His partner should be Luke Summerfield, the son of former player Kevin. Beyond these two, youngsters Ryan Woods and Aaron Wildig provide cover, but both are lightweight.

Your right flank should be in good hands with Jon Taylor - a talented attacking player - capable of worrying the opposition. On the left you can use Paul Parry, who at 33 has also seen better days, or Graham Burke, your young loanee from Aston Villa. Burke has some pace, but starts off as one of only two strikers in your first team squad – and the other, Tom Bradshaw, won’t be striking fear in to any L1 defences.

So, that’s a less than enthusiastic overview of your squad. And I can’t recommend you look to your second-string for any solutions, as none of the fab-four are worthy of first team football. Taking in to account the lack of quality, and low expectations, it is fair to assume that you are not going to storm the league. You’re also not going to be capable of playing cutting-edge, exciting, and/or attacking football – so a dour 442 or 451 formation with a rigid, counter-attacking philosophy is clearly the way to go.

In view of this, my opinion is that your priority transfer targets should be a right-back, and one or two strikers. The club need to avoid paying agent fees, and also it’s not a place where big wages could be offered. This therefore directed me towards the Skrill league for my first two signings, as Lee Gregory (FC Halifax, £25.5k) and Dan Holman (Braintree, £47k) were entrusted with the task of firing us to safety. These two deals saw our whole transfer budget gone, and I even had to adjust the wage allowance to facilitate their arrival.

There was just enough salary capacity left to approach a number of right-backs, but none were really interested in the challenge we would offer. Most of my hopes soon came to rest on Stuart Parnaby, but after six weeks of weighing up various offers, he decided to join Derby instead of us (thanks for your speed there, Stuart). As my best efforts continued to fail, we completed our friendlies and first few competitive matches with just Goldson for that position. This situation wasn’t comfortable – especially after he picked up an injury which saw me start our young midfielder Woods in our third league game. I continued to scour the world looking for loans, free transfers, and Icelandics who were about to end their contracts, but got nowhere until I eventually stumbled across a few seasoned campaigners that would possibly be capable on a short-term basis. From this small pool of players, I took a punt on Jose Antonio Castro, a 33-year old ex-Mexican international who was a free agent, probably because it seems he was actually retired since July! Although his attributes look fine, and he has played 31 times for his country (including WC 2006 and several Gold Cups), I’m not entirely convinced this is going to work out well, but this view can be updated if and when he makes his debut.

I have also completed two much easier deals, with the short-term loan of young Tottenham wide-man Darren McQueen, and free agent glove-man Iain Turner. McQueen will be expected to provide cover for both wide midfield positions, whilst Turner may allow me to cash-in on Weale if I can attract a reasonable bid for him. If some funds can be raised, it would enable me to try and bring in a strong central midfield player, and possibly a better quality central defender too. If Weale stays, we have no room for any more deals as our wage budget of £27k p/w is now maxed out. In the meantime, I have allowed one of my U21 squad members (John Marsden) to leave on loan – with a recall option applied for safety!

On the staffing front, Coyne was worth retaining as Player/GK coach, and I decided to keep on John Trewick, Peter Wilding and John Rudge too. I recruited Andy Cole (AM), Alan McLeary (HOYD), Chris Malkin (Physio), Jim Bett (Scout), Arthur Albiston (U21 Manager) and Nas Bashir (U18 Manager). I wasn't permitted a proper fitness coach, and Cole was picked as my number two primarily because I needed a coach with some attacking prowess and I wasn't able to get one for that sole purpose.

As we approach the last week of August 2013, we have played three league games, with an opening day loss (3-0 at home to MK Dons) followed up by a 1-1 draw at Leyton Orient and a 0-0 home draw with Swindon last time out. After the MK Dons setback, we did manage to sneak past Sheffield United (1-0) in the COC, so a little run of three games unbeaten is underway. It’s certainly not an impressive start, but you could say we are over-achieving as we hover just above the relegation zone.

Absoultly fantastic Jogo, what a read.

Turner Is a hero of mine from a previous FM, good to see his name dropped. As you say bit of a risk with the Mexican RB but needs must. Are you just looking to consolidate this season then? Get used to things?

I mentioned last page & ill need to update the reccomended player bit, Aaron Spear should be approachable on a Bosman from the start, he has no agent which is handy. Worth a look.

Keep us updated man.

@ Hoarau: Thanks mate. Survival would be the sole intention this season, it's just really a tester for the new version as much is different at this level.

@ ssestig: A great, informative guide to Alex as usual. I'm going to skip them this time but did enjoy their 'uniqueness' in a lengthy FM13 save. An attractive option for managers in L1.

After an initial dabble with Peterborough, which turned a bit tricky due to the BETA updates, I have started my first ‘proper’ FM14 attempt at a more challenging club. With the game hopefully a little more stable now, and with much to learn about the new features and tactics, I wanted to test myself in a situation where there was little in the way of expectations.

Shrewsbury Town start in League 1 with a mammoth first-team squad of just 15, including a back-up ‘keeper aged 38 (also doubling up as GK coach), and a borrowed striker (on-loan until January 2014). The U21 (Reserves) squad boasts a further five players, including a third ‘keeper, three youngsters, and a midfielder already out on loan.

The media prediction of 23rd is perhaps a little harsh for a club that does have a transfer kitty of £50k, but now that this ‘fund’ must absorb all agent fees and loyalty bonuses, that little pot doesn’t stretch far when it’s clear to see that the squad urgently needs extra numbers.

If you accept this challenge, your breakdown of players is as follows:

First Team (15) GK x 2, DC x 4, DL x 1, CM x 4, ML x 1, MR x 1, ST x 2

Reserves (4) GK x 1, DC x 1, ML x 1, ST x 1

Between the sticks, Chris Weale is advancing in years (31) but is one of your better players and unquestionably a better option than 38-year old player/coach Danny Coyne. Weale is also one of your biggest financial assets at £250k.

The first thing you probably noticed in the breakdown above is that your squad contains no right-back. One of the central defenders (Connor Goldson) can play there but it’s not really his best position. Still, needs must, and the 20-year old will need to occupy the right-back role until or unless you can recruit a more suitable option. The experienced (past their mediocre best) duo of Darren Jones and Tamika Mkandawire will therefore have little competition in the middle, as one of your other three central defenders (Dave Winfield) starts off injured. That isn’t meant to suggest that Winfield should be a starting option in any case. At left-back, you can rely on Joe Jacobson to perform at a decent level (which is good, as you have no back-up for him anyway). The Welshman, who is also your best free-kick taker, could perform as a wing-back too - but given that your right-sided defender is a converted centre-back with little attacking flair, a flat four-man defence is probably the way to go.

In central midfield, you do at least have choices, although none of them are particularly outstanding. Without any real natural strongman, it probably falls upon David McAllister to have the least expressive role, and he should become the more defensive of your pairing. His partner should be Luke Summerfield, the son of former player Kevin. Beyond these two, youngsters Ryan Woods and Aaron Wildig provide cover, but both are lightweight.

Your right flank should be in good hands with Jon Taylor - a talented attacking player - capable of worrying the opposition. On the left you can use Paul Parry, who at 33 has also seen better days, or Graham Burke, your young loanee from Aston Villa. Burke has some pace, but starts off as one of only two strikers in your first team squad – and the other, Tom Bradshaw, won’t be striking fear in to any L1 defences.

So, that’s a less than enthusiastic overview of your squad. And I can’t recommend you look to your second-string for any solutions, as none of the fab-four are worthy of first team football. Taking in to account the lack of quality, and low expectations, it is fair to assume that you are not going to storm the league. You’re also not going to be capable of playing cutting-edge, exciting, and/or attacking football – so a dour 442 or 451 formation with a rigid, counter-attacking philosophy is clearly the way to go.

In view of this, my opinion is that your priority transfer targets should be a right-back, and one or two strikers. The club need to avoid paying agent fees, and also it’s not a place where big wages could be offered. This therefore directed me towards the Skrill league for my first two signings, as Lee Gregory (FC Halifax, £25.5k) and Dan Holman (Braintree, £47k) were entrusted with the task of firing us to safety. These two deals saw our whole transfer budget gone, and I even had to adjust the wage allowance to facilitate their arrival.

There was just enough salary capacity left to approach a number of right-backs, but none were really interested in the challenge we would offer. Most of my hopes soon came to rest on Stuart Parnaby, but after six weeks of weighing up various offers, he decided to join Derby instead of us (thanks for your speed there, Stuart). As my best efforts continued to fail, we completed our friendlies and first few competitive matches with just Goldson for that position. This situation wasn’t comfortable – especially after he picked up an injury which saw me start our young midfielder Woods in our third league game. I continued to scour the world looking for loans, free transfers, and Icelandics who were about to end their contracts, but got nowhere until I eventually stumbled across a few seasoned campaigners that would possibly be capable on a short-term basis. From this small pool of players, I took a punt on Jose Antonio Castro, a 33-year old ex-Mexican international who was a free agent, probably because it seems he was actually retired since July! Although his attributes look fine, and he has played 31 times for his country (including WC 2006 and several Gold Cups), I’m not entirely convinced this is going to work out well, but this view can be updated if and when he makes his debut.

I have also completed two much easier deals, with the short-term loan of young Tottenham wide-man Darren McQueen, and free agent glove-man Iain Turner. McQueen will be expected to provide cover for both wide midfield positions, whilst Turner may allow me to cash-in on Weale if I can attract a reasonable bid for him. If some funds can be raised, it would enable me to try and bring in a strong central midfield player, and possibly a better quality central defender too. If Weale stays, we have no room for any more deals as our wage budget of £27k p/w is now maxed out. In the meantime, I have allowed one of my U21 squad members (John Marsden) to leave on loan – with a recall option applied for safety!

On the staffing front, Coyne was worth retaining as Player/GK coach, and I decided to keep on John Trewick, Peter Wilding and John Rudge too. I recruited Andy Cole (AM), Alan McLeary (HOYD), Chris Malkin (Physio), Jim Bett (Scout), Arthur Albiston (U21 Manager) and Nas Bashir (U18 Manager). I wasn't permitted a proper fitness coach, and Cole was picked as my number two primarily because I needed a coach with some attacking prowess and I wasn't able to get one for that sole purpose.

As we approach the last week of August 2013, we have played three league games, with an opening day loss (3-0 at home to MK Dons) followed up by a 1-1 draw at Leyton Orient and a 0-0 home draw with Swindon last time out. After the MK Dons setback, we did manage to sneak past Sheffield United (1-0) in the COC, so a little run of three games unbeaten is underway. It’s certainly not an impressive start, but you could say we are over-achieving as we hover just above the relegation zone.

The big man strikes again!!

Great update mate.

I am hoping to get the game over the next few weeks although to be honest with all these transfer bugs etc I am happy to wait a few weeks for it to all be fixed. I have the demo downloaded and have had a bit of a mess on that, ideally looking to start in League one or two, just need to figure out who with. Tranmere was an option (local team) but they are predicted to finish 9th and I like to take charge of a smaller team who aren't expected to do much, i.e mid table/relegation candidates.

@ ssestig: A great, informative guide to Alex as usual. I'm going to skip them this time but did enjoy their 'uniqueness' in a lengthy FM13 save. An attractive option for managers in L1.

Cheers mate but i've still got screenshots and tactical info to put in yet.

The big man strikes again!!

Great update mate.

I am hoping to get the game over the next few weeks although to be honest with all these transfer bugs etc I am happy to wait a few weeks for it to all be fixed. I have the demo downloaded and have had a bit of a mess on that, ideally looking to start in League one or two, just need to figure out who with. Tranmere was an option (local team) but they are predicted to finish 9th and I like to take charge of a smaller team who aren't expected to do much, i.e mid table/relegation candidates.

Thanks mate, I thought I would keep it brief this time :o

I managed to sell Weale for £225k on deadline day, but only two hours before the window closed. I wasn't able to get anybody of quality (just loaned Forde in from Wolves for 50% wage contribution of £350 p/w only). For anybody tempted by The Shrews, you do automatically get to use 100% of transfer income generated, so the early signing of Turner/sale of Weale means you can start off with nearly £300k. It's too late for me, but worth knowing for anybody else.

Looking forward to your contributions, and I agree that there are quite a few issues that need to be sorted before it can be deemed 'fully enjoyable'. I don't know what the Oldham media prediction is, but I like the look of their squad in this version. I'm priming myself to start with Coventry again soon...then maybe Wolves.

Thanks mate, I thought I would keep it brief this time :o

I managed to sell Weale for £225k on deadline day, but only two hours before the window closed. I wasn't able to get anybody of quality (just loaned Forde in from Wolves for 50% wage contribution of £350 p/w only). For anybody tempted by The Shrews, you do automatically get to use 100% of transfer income generated, so the early signing of Turner/sale of Weale means you can start off with nearly £300k. It's too late for me, but worth knowing for anybody else.

Looking forward to your contributions, and I agree that there are quite a few issues that need to be sorted before it can be deemed 'fully enjoyable'. I don't know what the Oldham media prediction is, but I like the look of their squad in this version. I'm priming myself to start with Coventry again soon...then maybe Wolves.

I agree Wolves looks like a good fun save, a nice solid foundation, I also like the sound of Preston and possibly Leyton Orient (purely because of real life). And who can forget your Coventry save, you need to give them another go mate and see if you can do as well.

I would give Derby a crack but I don't see the attraction at the moment.

It was the real life situation (small/young squad, financial issues, results/style of play) that inspired me to start as Coventry, and that appeal remains just as strong now. Knowing it will be harder to get them up from League 1 in this version also makes it strangely alluring.

I agree with your mention of Leyton Orient, given their remarkable real life displays. I'm always tempted by Preston and Sheffield United, being big clubs with a good history/fan base etc, but just can't quite bring myself to do it. Wolves seem to have the right blend of history/fan base and squad (lots of youngsters and a few good senior pros).

It would be very useful if anybody playing in L1/L2 (especially) could make a brief mention of transfer budgets to help people choose with greater knowledge.

Anyone playing as Leeds? Who are the best bargains for the Championship? I've signed Jilian Hamad for RW and been impressed so far, he was under 50k

I'd be interested too. I've invested £1m (750k over 4 years) in Stefan Johansen, he's been brilliant for me the last 2 versions so he was a certainty. Tried to get Zuculini, but he went to Spain, to be honest that would have been a stretch.

Could do with some quality up front and some experience at the back.

@Jogo Banito - How is Tamika Mkandawire playing? I had him for Fleetwood on 13 and he was still in the first team up to the Championship. Even though he was quite old when I got promoted, he was still useful and eventually became one of my youth coaches. Quality player!

Good post as well :)

@Jogo Banito - How is Tamika Mkandawire playing? I had him for Fleetwood on 13 and he was still in the first team up to the Championship. Even though he was quite old when I got promoted, he was still useful and eventually became one of my youth coaches. Quality player!

Good post as well :)

Cheers for that. To be honest none of my team has performed well (a few Cup wins but currently on a run of 9 consecutive league defeats). Tamika has played 16 and has an average rating of 6.61 but it's probably unfair to read much in to his ability from this test!

This was meant to be tough but no matter what I have tried, we miss our chances and the other team score most of theirs. We have won 3/4 of our Cup games and are still in the JPT, the only loss being 2-1 (aet) away at Derby in our second COC tie. The league record is amusing/shameful: PL12, W0, D2, L10, GF5, GA30, PTS2.

Amazingly, there has not been any mention of the sack so I will keep going until the inevitable happens, and then start again elsewhere. I can't quite believe what's happening.

Has anyone else noticed the odd board expectations on the game?

I only have the demo at the moment so it might be fixed on the full game, but teams that are 'predicted' by the media to finish at the bottom of league one, the board lowest expectation you can choose is still mid table finish. This applied to port vale, rotherham, Bradford, gillingham etc.

Is this a fault somewhere? Surely the boards must expect a Lower half of the table finish, or does mid table include the lower reaches?

Has anyone else noticed the odd board expectations on the game?

I only have the demo at the moment so it might be fixed on the full game, but teams that are 'predicted' by the media to finish at the bottom of league one, the board lowest expectation you can choose is still mid table finish. This applied to port vale, rotherham, Bradford, gillingham etc.

Is this a fault somewhere? Surely the boards must expect a Lower half of the table finish, or does mid table include the lower reaches?

Mine is always lower half but I'm sure it means the lower half as in bottom half

Haha seeming Im 12 points clear with less than 10 games to go.. methinks my Board has got it wrong..big time! lol :lol:

Mine is always lower half but I'm sure it means the lower half as in bottom half

Haha seeming Im 12 points clear with less than 10 games to go.. methinks my Board has got it wrong..big time! lol :lol:

Haha hopefully so Nicko, just a bit confused that's all, I like a challenge and despite half of the teams I wanted to start as being predicted around 14-19th in the table, all of the boards seem to want a mid table/top half finish. This is only on the Demo though so it might be fixed for the full game.

Pre-Season Update 2013/2014 - First Season - League One

So MK Dons were the lucky team that got picked to be my first team on FM 2014! The board expect a top half finish, which I feel is definitely achievable having looked at the players available. The board also handed me a transfer budget of £100k and a wage budget of £60k p/w, some spare £5.5k available to me.

Looking at the players in the team there is a distinct lack of width and so have decided to go with a 4-3-1-2 formation, as we have some talented central midfielders in Potter and Gleeson and some strong attackers in the on loan Patrick Bamford from Chelsea and club favourite Izale McLeod.

14th July 2013

Hot prospect Brendan Galloway signed a new 3 year contract after interest from numerous clubs including Bolton Wanderers.

21st July 2013

We made our first signing of the summer with Crystal Palace central defender Paddy McCarthy joining on a season long loan deal. We will pay 20% (£1,600) of the Irishman's wage.

Pre-Season Friendly Results

Worksop Town 0-3 MK Dons

Bamford, Gleeson, Kay

Bristol Rovers 1-5 MK Dons

McLeod (3), Tshimanga, Bamford

MK Dons 2-1 Barnsley

Chadwick, McLeod

Southend 2-1 MK Dons

McLeod

MK Dons 2-3 Crystal Palace

Reeves (2)

Overall a decent pre-season but these games are more about fitness than results. We look capable of hitting the net though which is promising, and hopefully when Paddy McCarthy returns from injury we might see fewer goals conceded.

I start my league campaign against Shrewsbury Town followed up with a big Capital One Cup First Round tie with AFC Wimbledon!

Nice start Gunner and good luck with MK Dons. McCarthy & Bamford should be useful players at that level during their loans, and you have good quality amongst plenty of your squad. For context you have twice the transfer budget and wage budget of Shrewsbury - and more than double their ability. My prediction is a comfortable season-opening win there!

Nice start Gunner and good luck with MK Dons. McCarthy & Bamford should be useful players at that level during their loans, and you have good quality amongst plenty of your squad. For context you have twice the transfer budget and wage budget of Shrewsbury - and more than double their ability. My prediction is a comfortable season-opening win there!

Thanks Jogo! Yeah, exciting times with Bamford up top! Looks a good prospect, shame he's only on loan. Suffering from a couple of injuries going into the season with McCarthy and Bowditch both out, both are penciled in as starting players too but that's giving McLeod the chance to impress during pre-season.

@Rob; Always liked Riera when he was at Man City. Should do well at that level indeed!

Pre-Season Update 2013/2014 - First Season - League One

So MK Dons were the lucky team that got picked to be my first team on FM 2014! The board expect a top half finish, which I feel is definitely achievable having looked at the players available. The board also handed me a transfer budget of £100k and a wage budget of £60k p/w, some spare £5.5k available to me.

Looking at the players in the team there is a distinct lack of width and so have decided to go with a 4-3-1-2 formation, as we have some talented central midfielders in Potter and Gleeson and some strong attackers in the on loan Patrick Bamford from Chelsea and club favourite Izale McLeod.

14th July 2013

Hot prospect Brendan Galloway signed a new 3 year contract after interest from numerous clubs including Bolton Wanderers.

21st July 2013

We made our first signing of the summer with Crystal Palace central defender Paddy McCarthy joining on a season long loan deal. We will pay 20% (£1,600) of the Irishman's wage.

Pre-Season Friendly Results

Worksop Town 0-3 MK Dons

Bamford, Gleeson, Kay

Bristol Rovers 1-5 MK Dons

McLeod (3), Tshimanga, Bamford

MK Dons 2-1 Barnsley

Chadwick, McLeod

Southend 2-1 MK Dons

McLeod

MK Dons 2-3 Crystal Palace

Reeves (2)

Overall a decent pre-season but these games are more about fitness than results. We look capable of hitting the net though which is promising, and hopefully when Paddy McCarthy returns from injury we might see fewer goals conceded.

I start my league campaign against Shrewsbury Town followed up with a big Capital One Cup First Round tie with AFC Wimbledon!

How is Delle Ali in the game? Brilliant prospect for them irl. Hope Bamford has improved in this game as well. Would you mind posting a screenie please?

Also in general, people who chose clubs from League 1 and lower, what leagues do you choose to have loaded?

How is Delle Ali in the game? Brilliant prospect for them irl. Hope Bamford has improved in this game as well. Would you mind posting a screenie please?

Also in general, people who chose clubs from League 1 and lower, what leagues do you choose to have loaded?

r0rsoz.jpg

21acokp.png

I load all leagues in England, France, Germany, Spain and Italy. I could load more but I'm always unsure as to what to load and just stick with the main European leagues.

r0rsoz.jpg

21acokp.png

I load all leagues in England, France, Germany, Spain and Italy. I could load more but I'm always unsure as to what to load and just stick with the main European leagues.

Thanks. Alli looks promising. Bamford is quite underrated for sure. Maybe the SI team did not expect him to be this good irl but still feel he could have been upgraded a bit more. If he is scoring for you I guess that is fine then :p

Pompey! Barnet could be a worthwhile game as well.

Thinking of either Tranmere, Leyton Orient, Bradford or someone similar in L1. Alternatively I might just start the league in December and take it from there, I normally chose the team bottom or near to bottom of the league

August 2013/2014 - League One

7th August

Two of the squad got the call for International duty. First teamers Lee Hodson (Northern Ireland) and Samir Carruthers (Ireland Under 21's) were the two players called up.

We also have a deal in place for former Manchester United full back Luke Giverin but I pull out of the deal as I feel it doesn't represent value for money. The search goes on.

23rd August

Our second summer signing and first permanent capture was that of experienced left winger Stephen Hunt. The free agent joins on a deal until the end of the season and despite being 32, I feel he will add a lot to the squad, especially as we lack any real width currently.

Sky Bet League 1

Shrewsbury 2-4 MK Dons

McLeod (3), Bamford

We started with a bang as McLeod opened the scoring after just 40 seconds. He added his second, lobbing the Shrewsbury keeper on 39 minutes. Bamford then broke free to put us 3-1 up on the counter. McLeod completed his hat trick on 88 minutes to make it 4-1 before we conceded our second in stoppage time. Overall a very pleasing start to the campaign.

MK Dons 2-0 Crewe

Bamford, McCarthy

A game we dominated generated a deserved three points. Bamford scored inside the first minute continuing our fine starts to games. Paddy McCarthy scored his first goal for the club with a close range effort after Crewe failed to clear a corner. Unfortunately we lost on loan Samir Carruthers to a stubbed toe and he will now miss 12 days.

Preston 1-1 MK Dons

McLeod

We rescued a late point as we scored in stoppage time. A tough away game against a team that will be up there come the season end, we can be pleased with a point.

MK Dons 1-1 Bristol City

Chadwick

We got away with this one as we came from behind to snatch a point. Two tough games in a row in the league and we remain undefeated so I can't complain too much.

Sheff Utd 0-0 MK Dons

We was unlucky not to gain all 3 points as we defended well and had a couple of great chances through Reeves and Chadwick. This match marked an unbeaten sequence of 5 games for the start of the season.

Capital One Cup

MK Dons 3-2 AFC Wimbledon (First Round)

McLeod (2), Kay

We got off to a flyer, McLeod scoring with a header then went in off the bar inside 10 minutes. The lead lasted just 4 minutes though as AFC Wimbledon equalised. We then fell behind on the 51st minute. McLeod scored a magnificent goal to equalise before minutes later Kay had a free header to put us back in front and gift us victory. Great clash between two rivals.

Hull 2-0 MK Dons (Second Round)

Two goals in the first 22 minutes put us to the sword against Premiership opposition. No shame in this defeat and we reached the boards expectations of reaching the second round.

———————————————————————————————————

So August ended with us still undefeated in the League following 3 tough games. We currently sit 1 point outside the playoff places on 9 points (2W, 3D, 0L) with a +4 GD. Izale McLeod has started brightly and is currently the 4th highest scorer in the league with a return of 4 goals in just 2 league appearances.

Fans have concerns over the form of Lewington and Bamford and both have been warned about this. Also Paddy McCarthy has disappointed thus far with an average rating of 6.43 since joining on loan. Stephen Hunt is yet to really take part and shall reserve judgement.

Howdy all.

First post of the new FM season :)

Started off with my beloved, beleaguered, mistreated, misguided Wolves. Good times are back though. And after getting rid of some more of the 'deadwood' Mr Jackett hasn't shifted yet I am sitting 4 points top at the new year. And the lovely board (IRO that would be sarcasm) have given me an extra 7.5m so I know have 12m to spend in League one :-P

So my question is...

Do you know any hot prospects who will be willing to actually join me. Most probably to start and play a key role immediatly, but I wont discriminate kids for the under 18's and 21's for the time being.

Thanks you beautiful people.

God Bless Football Manager.

Archived