FM14: The Sky Bet Football League Thread - Sponsored by William Hill

Hoarau

Hi mate. I've not really been playing much with FM14 as I'm waiting for the ME to be improved.

Personally, until now I have found FM13 much more enjoyable (I was a big fan of that) as it seemed a smoother and more realistic experience to me. I did a season and a bit with Shrewsbury, and a month or so in Belgium with a club at Europa League level, but neither felt right to me. So now I'm just waiting patiently until FM14 is improved before launching myself in to new challenges. I've not been in this position before (where I didn't enjoy the game enough to continue) but I'm sure the guys are working hard on fixing the issues and as soon as it becomes on a par with the previous version, I will try again. I'm not one to even expect or demand improvements every year, just matching FM13 will be more than enough (but I can't go back to that as find it hard knowing the squads and league participants are out-of-date).

In contrast, many people are enjoying the new edition and fair play to them. The above is only my opinion so I'm not looking for agreement or disagreement/debate on my own observations - I am merely responding to a direct question about my reduced participation to date. I am pleased for anybody who is finding their game enjoyable, and hopefully I can join in the fun soon enough. To put it in context, my technical skills are way below basic level, so I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to create and fine-tune such an in-depth computer game, it's certainly not a criticism of the people and skills involved.

This Gunner, I am hovering mate, just waiting for the update which will be this week and then I can get a game going. I am just using my time to figure out who to go as at the moment. Rotherham possibly, maybe Tranmere.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tiny update, I'm 9th but struggling. Just brought in David Fox, Darius Henderson, and Marcin Wasilewski. I've adopted the (quite radical) approach of selling the majority of the team and bringing in outcasts in order to progress. I'll do a proper update once I've finished with Uni work, so it'll be January time on FM.

Sorry guys for not updating for a while as having a few personal things needing sorting out and taking up alot of time.

Following on from my QF victory over Arsenal i then drew the first leg of the semi final versus Man United 1-1 at home. The away leg went just as i expectedand we got battered 5-0. Certainly not going to be getting upset about getting Brighton to the semis of the COC!!

As for the league, i was in a battle with Burnley for the top spot but then had a wobble and found myself in 4th position. After calling a team meeting things have picked up and i am now heading into the final weekend top of the league on 83 points. In fact the top 4 are seperated by 2 points so this final weekend could be a real rollercoaster as i am travelling away from home to face Nottingham Forest who are currently in 3rd place.

My FA Cup campaign ended in the 4th round with a 1-0 defeat away to Fulham so again no complaints from me.

Anyway i will update once i get this nerve wrecking final game over with.

Following on from my last post i can now confirm Brighton are now a PREMIER LEAGUE club!!! I didn't realise that the top 4 were all playing each other. Reading beat Burnley 2-1 despite being down to 10 men and due to us drawing 0-0 we missed out on the title by a single point. Promotion was certainly not on my mind at the start of the season and with a semi final appearance to go alongside promotion this season has exceeded all expectations i ever had.

Now to get together a squad capable of survival as the one i have i fear will be too poor in quality.

Following on from my last post i can now confirm Brighton are now a PREMIER LEAGUE club!!! I didn't realise that the top 4 were all playing each other. Reading beat Burnley 2-1 despite being down to 10 men and due to us drawing 0-0 we missed out on the title by a single point. Promotion was certainly not on my mind at the start of the season and with a semi final appearance to go alongside promotion this season has exceeded all expectations i ever had.

Now to get together a squad capable of survival as the one i have i fear will be too poor in quality.

Congratulations mate, I very good achievement there. What are the finances like at the club? Do you think you will have some money to spend? At least you don't have to do your stadium up since it is already of a pretty high quality.

I have finally found my save game. As I have said previously I was interested in starting a game with my local team Tranmere. One of my mates has found a save game knocking round where they have played 11 games and lost every single one or something, 8 of which were in the league and the rest in the cup. Sounds good to me!! Nice little challenge to start my FM gaming off with.

I'm making slow progress with Plymouth (time constraints), but I've finally got a formation which seems to be working, aside from the odd tweak still needed. I line up like this:

...........TM-S

AP-S....................SS....W-A

............BBM

........................AM

FB-S......DC.......DC.......FB-S

This is with a Rigid and Counter/Standard philosophy. I know it looks a bit like a dogs dinner, but it suits the players I have at my disposal currently. In fact we've just recorded a 7-1 win over Bristol Rovers to go 6th in League 2!

Congratulations mate, I very good achievement there. What are the finances like at the club? Do you think you will have some money to spend? At least you don't have to do your stadium up since it is already of a pretty high quality.

I have finally found my save game. As I have said previously I was interested in starting a game with my local team Tranmere. One of my mates has found a save game knocking round where they have played 11 games and lost every single one or something, 8 of which were in the league and the rest in the cup. Sounds good to me!! Nice little challenge to start my FM gaming off with.

Was given 19M to spend but considering pretty much the majority of the squad need replacing i am facing a very tall order.

QPR started the game on a 4231 with 3 AMCs, however i have mastered how to counter this formation and i think the manager got annoyed and decided to change his set up to a middle finger display??

hyoe.png

ps. currently 2nd so on my way to promotion, EPL here i come! This is my 2nd attempt at championship after promoting twice in a row

So Coventry seems to be the challenge this year.

Cyrus Christie was sold to Wigan for £500k, but then loaned back for the season, the kid is, and will be amazing; Joe Murphy was sold to Bournemouth for £210k, we're still £9k over our wage budget, so I'm hoping we get a takeover soon, otherwise we may be in trouble.

Won our first game 2-1 against Crawley.

After back to back promotion we finished 14th first time around in the championship, things are not easy as we cant afford high wages, clubs reputation is nowhere near all the other clubs so we did not manage to loan any vital players, however after a few change of tactics and bringing in some Spanish flair we managed to get promoted and finished 2nd.

zi18.png

How the table finished:

6xbk.th.png

transfers:

hwa6.th.png

We spent 270k and sold 2.15m. key signings this time around were: Milos Vejkovic loan from Spurs, Ryan Mclaughlin loan from liverpool, Juan camara (free) my own Juan mata.

Really need to improve our defense, we scored 110 goals but conceded 80 in 46 mathes!

The spanish flair attack:

FC: Fran sol cost us 25k from Real madrids castilla side and managed to score 29 league goals in 44 games!

isvp.th.png

AMC: Abdon, the clubs most expensive player cost us 575k from Mallorca B side key attributes: 16 dribbling, 14 finishing, 15 heading, 17 passing, 14 technique, 18 determination, 16 acceleration, 15 pace. This season he was dropped to AMC and scored 14 times, 11 assists in 34 games, however last season he managed to score 21 out of 41 league games when he was used as a FC.

isvp.th.png

AMR: Lucas - cost us 16k from Real madrid castilla side, managed 18 assists and 4 goals in his debut season, this season he was more composed on goal and managed 14 goals and 12 assists in 31 games

08ur.th.png

AML: Juan Camara came from Villlareal B for free and on his debut season managed 15 asists and 9 goals in 35 league games. Key attributes: 16 dribbling, 14 crossing!

779d.th.png

Now im hoping for atleast a 3m budget and 200k wage budget, again will invest in spain, loans and free transfers, aim is to survive and not drop down again, we achieve that ill aim for mid table, followed by top 6 finish and then challange the league. So hopefully in 4 seasons time we might just win the EPL but i doubt it lol

anyone ever had a takeover by a billionaire?

On my save, Brentford got a takeover which allowed them to spend 5.5m in transfers. Not a billionaire, but interesting nonetheless.

Also, I've moved from Coventry to Gillingham. Was 3 games left at end of season, board was getting frustrated at me as I'd not won in 12, and Gillingham offered me an interview, 7th in the league. Got them promoted quite easily.

Now that we got promoted to EPL here were my transfers of which i highly recommend:

Jack Stephen 1.1m from Ipswich DC - very good player

Danny potts 750k - DL - again another very good young english player

Miguel free - Angolan DL hardly played singed for backup

Peter Michorl 725k from FK Austria Wien - MC - must buy!

Goran Mlinaric 1.5m - regen

Helder Baborsa free - backup

Pablo Gonzales from Murcia free - AMR been decent

Moussa Otieno from Lyon free - regen GK backup

Giuseppe Prestia free from Crotone - GOOD DC

Benoit Costil free - 1st team GK

Scott Wootton 2.2m Barnsley - MUSY BUY DEFENDER

Adam Campbel free - backup fwd

6.23m spent out of the 9m budget given, salary at 188k out of 245k

We also sold a total of 6.18m

Gaya DL to Swansea 3.5m

Steven Taylor 750k Huddersfield

John Rooney 150k to Motherwell

Andres lindegaard Man utd - 375k

David stephens clubs old captain went to Hidernian for 1.3m

11m at the bank and 36m projected.

We currently sit in 6th after 12 games, 5 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses but we already faced Arsenal away, and had these 3 games in a row Man city at home, chelsea away, man utd away - what a joke of a fixture but i am very impressed with howell we have done.

top of the table by 2 points with 2 games in hand over Leicester.

as mid season quickly approaches, and players need rotating, suprised I'm winning those away games atm having to rest my key men, in them because of Europe, was having a look at who is transfer listed or has expiring contract, Unrealistic transfer box is ticked and there is a certain Victor Valdes...... so in theory I could actually have him playing at wigan, which would be superb, but having seen his wage demands on my united save, that will be a dream.

[video=youtube;Xp1kvTYRvHU]

Excuse the quality as i am on my laptop. But this is my 4231 set up on my Dagenham and Redbridge newly promoted to EPL, we are introducing barcas style in this league lol and we are playing some amazing passing football despite the Me faults, this is perfect example of passing from defense all the way to attack and player perfect movement to find space.

Managing Barnsley first season and I am top of the league but I used to play with Jordan in the academy at Barnsley and he never used to get a game because the coaches didn't like him. Ended up selling him to Ipswich for 8k. I mean wtf! Even I could see he'd be big, absolute joke.

Equally as worse, Roy Keane selling Jordan to Huddersfield for peanuts because he couldn't have Jordan and Connor Wickham in the same team, only enough room for one talented youngster.

This is the key thing to my tactic which i learnt from watching barcelona in real life, its creating the triangle set up between your players, it makes your team unstoppable. In this game we won 0-6 vs Fulham and look at this screnshot:

6bi4.png

At the start of this goal my GK passed into the DL.

Triangle 1: DL - CML - CMR

Triangle 2: DL: CML - AML

Triangle 3: CML: CMR: AMC

Triangle 4: CML: AML: AMC

and as time moves on other triangles are formed. AML:AMC:FC for example.

[video=youtube;kCT01SqmgiE]

and now look at the goal:

You can see how easily we created a chance with simple passing.

I haven't been in here for a while, but look forward to starting a proper FM14 'Sky Bet' save in the near future.

I think my initial game will come from Coventry, Wolves or Portsmouth - but I love the variety of clubs you guys have chosen.

Looking forward to it Jogo.

Re the deleted posts, who has deleted them? I'm confused as to why they would be unless they are offensive in any way

BUMP! Very quiet in here, I have finally sat down and got my save going. I basically decided that I wanted to start in League Two. So I fired the game up in December 2013 and had a look at who had a vacant managerial role.

The answer to that is.....Northampton Town.

The current league table reads as follows:

21St Accrington 23 pld 20 pts

22nd Northampton 23pld 20 pts

23rd Newport CO 23pld and 20 pts

24th Dag & Red 23pld 18pts.

As you can see, with no win in all competitions since beating Exeter in October and an awful run of 8 defeats in the last 11 games, struggling down in 22nd place and having just sacked Aidy Boothroyd, this would no doubt provide me with a nice challenge to start my FM life with.

Our next few games are massive, we start the 2014 year with a trip to Bury (3rd in the league) before going to Scunthorpe (20th in the table) and then welcoming mid table Torquay to the Sixfields. Some tricky games but we need some points so that we don't get cut adrift.

The board have set me a target of avoiding relegation which is realistic given the teams current performances, but I do think if we can hit some form we can push up into mid table and be a bit more comfortable.

So I managed to get my first game played last night against Bury who are up near the top of the league.

My first problem is that every player in the squad had a conditioning rating of under 80%, and every attacking place appears to be injured. So my first thought was to be quite defensive and play a 4-1-4-1 formation with the idea of cancelling them out and hitting them on the counter attack. Put it this way if I had been a paying customer I would of left at half time, it really was that dire. However, in a boring game came a massive moment of brilliance and arguably one of the best goals I have ever seen on FM.

A long punt downfield by my right back went through to the end of their box, their keep raced out and kicked the ball back up field. Suddenly out of know here appeared Darren Carter, who chested the ball down before volleying it straight back, over the keeps head and in off the underside of the cross bar. A truly amazing goal.

The rest of match was spent with our backs to the wall, defending as much as we can and in the end we ground out a brilliant win. It wasn't pretty by any stretch but it's 3 points in the bag at a vital stage of the season.

The problem I am going to have is that the game are coming thick and fast now, 2 more games in the next 5 days means I don't really have chance to get my team doing anything fancy, just simply stick to basics and hope we can grind out some points until I can get them on the training ground.

I'm basically playing my Plymouth save in real time at the moment due to how little time I have. I managed to get on last night though and play one game (go me).

We lost 0-1 at home to league leaders Pompey. This was my first game since the update and while I can see improvements in some places, I need to tweak my tactic, or rather my team instructions. Whereas in 14.1.3 I was finding that wingers were destroying my fullbacks on the outside, now they are very susceptible to though balls played down the channels. Also my back four seem very widely positioned and are leaving acres of space between them.

I'm basically playing my Plymouth save in real time at the moment due to how little time I have. I managed to get on last night though and play one game (go me).

We lost 0-1 at home to league leaders Pompey. This was my first game since the update and while I can see improvements in some places, I need to tweak my tactic, or rather my team instructions. Whereas in 14.1.3 I was finding that wingers were destroying my fullbacks on the outside, now they are very susceptible to though balls played down the channels. Also my back four seem very widely positioned and are leaving acres of space between them.

I found in my one game so far that my team can't pass, can't cross and aren't very good at shooting either...but that's not the update, that's the lack of quality in the team!

@ Plainlayzee: Nice to see that you finally picked a team and got your managment underway at Northampton. I've never managed them but it's a place that I know well and (the town) is close to my heart as have spent alot of time there over the years. The team has been poor IRL for quite a while now (a right load of cobblers), so you have picked a good challenge! What was the transfer budget like? I look forward to seeing if you can become bigger and better than the illustrious (fallen/mis-managed) tenants :lol:

@ MeesterCat: Good to see you're still continuing with Plymouth. What was the transfer budget (if any) and what signings have you made?

I've not yet started my first 'proper' save yet but will hope to do so shortly.

@ Plainlayzee: Nice to see that you finally picked a team and got your managment underway at Northampton. I've never managed them but it's a place that I know well and (the town) is close to my heart as have spent alot of time there over the years. The team has been poor IRL for quite a while now (a right load of cobblers), so you have picked a good challenge! What was the transfer budget like? I look forward to seeing if you can become bigger and better than the illustrious (fallen/mis-managed) tenants :lol:

@ MeesterCat: Good to see you're still continuing with Plymouth. What was the transfer budget (if any) and what signings have you made?

I've not yet started my first 'proper' save yet but will hope to do so shortly.

Hi Jogo, looking forward to seeing you get back into the game and get active again.

Northampton are a team I had a pretty epic 7 season save with back on FM10 I think. Might of even been 2009 I'm not too sure, but it doesn't look like things have got much better for them! 6.75m in debt in league two and struggling, not great. I got given a t/fer budget of 30k but to be honest I don't plan on using it if I can avoid it. Maybe pay the odd few £ here or there for a quality loan if I can find one. I have got a player, a forward by the name of Nicholas I think, who is wanted by a few League One/Championship teams so I may be able to shift him out for a good fee and generate some funds to play with, however, I am conscious of the fact any money that comes into the club probably goes into the bank to pay any debts.

Plenty to consider anyway now the Jan window is open. Could defo do with some fire power being brought in. I wonder if Jonathan Obika is still knocking round (like my old Yeovil saves were he saved me every time!)

Who are you planning on starting as?

@MeesterCat is doing a good job with Plymouth, a nice little challenge their due to their recent financial issues.

Cheers Jogo. You know, I honestly can't remember my transfer budget. It was about £75k I think, but I immediately used most of it to free up money for wages and just left enough for signing on and agent fees.

I've brought in 4 players, all on Frees:

Grant Basey (as we only had one first team capable LB, and he was rubbish)

Pascal Chimbonda (Kind of ditto)

Quentin Boesso (to provide some pace in attack)

Eoin Wearen (Initially as CM cover, but he's only 18 and has some pretty decent stats already)

For some reason the fans are angry about the Chimbonda signing, even though on paper he's one of my better players. He keeps missing training though, so he'll be out pronto.

I have high hopes for Curtis Nelson, Tyler Harvey and Luke Young, but the rest are fairly forgettable. I'd love to do an SRL88 type fairytale and get promoted at the first time of trying, but that is beyond the squad. I think the aim is to promote youth whilst the loans are paid off.

This season we've been mostly ok, and were briefly 6th, but have now settled into a more likely 12th. We're in the JPT QFs too.

Cheers Jogo. You know, I honestly can't remember my transfer budget. It was about £75k I think, but I immediately used most of it to free up money for wages and just left enough for signing on and agent fees.

I've brought in 4 players, all on Frees:

Grant Basey (as we only had one first team capable LB, and he was rubbish)

Pascal Chimbonda (Kind of ditto)

Quentin Boesso (to provide some pace in attack)

Eoin Wearen (Initially as CM cover, but he's only 18 and has some pretty decent stats already)

For some reason the fans are angry about the Chimbonda signing, even though on paper he's one of my better players. He keeps missing training though, so he'll be out pronto.

I have high hopes for Curtis Nelson, Tyler Harvey and Luke Young, but the rest are fairly forgettable. I'd love to do an SRL88 type fairytale and get promoted at the first time of trying, but that is beyond the squad. I think the aim is to promote youth whilst the loans are paid off.

This season we've been mostly ok, and were briefly 6th, but have now settled into a more likely 12th. We're in the JPT QFs too.

Not a bad first season that mate, all about stabilising the team and then kicking on next season. If you can get some more quality players in you will be good to go.

Interesting with Chimbonda, I think a lot of the time fans don't like players who have previous, such as Joey Barton etc. There are some players on these games that fans dislike for one reason or another.

Just a thought though, didn't he play for Portsmouth at one point? Are they a local rival or anything?

Not a bad first season that mate, all about stabilising the team and then kicking on next season. If you can get some more quality players in you will be good to go.

Interesting with Chimbonda, I think a lot of the time fans don't like players who have previous, such as Joey Barton etc. There are some players on these games that fans dislike for one reason or another.

Just a thought though, didn't he play for Portsmouth at one point? Are they a local rival or anything?

Oh that's not the end of the season; I'm still only in November 2013! (I may be the slowest FM player ever). I had a similar thought about Chimbonda having played for a rival, but I checked Wikipedia and nothing obvious that I can see. I'm scouting for a younger, cheaper replacement anyway, so hopefully the fans will forgive me.

Ah OK sorry I thought you were near the end of the season! I am going to be playing about the same pace as you to be honest. Due to move home, Christmas, baby on the way etc, don't think I will be getting hours and hours of game time, but if I can keep it ticking along that will be good, especially if I am going for a long term save which is the plan.

Chimbonda is an odd one. TBH I thought he had signed for someone in the summer but on the game he is a free agent. Could of swore he signed for Carlisle or someone?

Have you managed to get any decent loans in at all? Just read across another forum and a lot of people seem to be bringing in cheap players from Championship/League One teams on loan for low wages who are pretty decent players to be honest. Might be something to have a look at to boost squad numbers when you can.

Yeah I think he signed for Carlisle, it must've been after the data cut off.

I've not managed to get any loans so far. I've managed to get Man Utd as a parent club, but I can't seem to get any players from them yet. I had a brief look at loans earlier in the season, but couldn't seem to find anyone willing to come.

I think I need to spend a lot longer at trawling for players when I next play - I really need a ML and possibly a DM.

Yeah I think he signed for Carlisle, it must've been after the data cut off.

I've not managed to get any loans so far. I've managed to get Man Utd as a parent club, but I can't seem to get any players from them yet. I had a brief look at loans earlier in the season, but couldn't seem to find anyone willing to come.

I think I need to spend a lot longer at trawling for players when I next play - I really need a ML and possibly a DM.

That;s my plan for when I next get some game time. Get trawling for players I can get into the club in January. Bizarrely we don't even have a scout!

@ Pipson: Congrats on the trophy win and excellent work with your Daggers. Do you have any of the original squad left?

@ PL: I agree that with only £30k transfer funds, it's better to put it all in wages and see if any freebies and loans can help improve you. With finances like that, I reckon it might be at least a seven year epic just to get out of L2 (upwards!). Maybe the rent from Coventry will help a bit, but it's going to be tough. Good luck.

@ MC: £75k isn't bad at L2 level, so should give you some room if converted to wages. From my L1 test save, Darren McQueen (Spurs) should be willing to join on loan with no outlay and is quite good for the level. He's no world-beater but is versatile enough to play both flanks well.

Joga i dnt because they were all rubish loads of 1-10 attributes lol. You get so much money once you reach EPL However i still have a few players from when i was in championship and i highly recomend them: Abdon from Mallorca B for 575k, Joel from Castilla for free, Fran sol who is still my main foward from Castilla for 25k finished top goal scorer on his premier divion debut with 24 in 35, traustason for free,

Here we go again just finished my first season with Birmingham and we have had a fantastic season getting promoted and winning the FA cup so european football next season at St.Andrews.The club was in a mess money wise when i started so i looked at the squad and decided to go for younger players to build for the future,so out went Robinson -Derby 100k,Elliott-Tranmere free,Ambrose-Dundee U 100k,Mullins-Dundee u 100k and Spector-Blackpool 1m.This lowered the wage bill a lot and combined with giving the squad low bonuses gave us a good bit of money to spend.Firstly i searched the free transfer list and signed Zuculini,Maierhofer and Ebanks-Blake to give our forward line more power.Secondly i decided to sign Drage from Tromso for 475k,Frimpong from Arsenal 600k and Batth from Wolves 600k all over 48 months.The January transfer window was fairly quiet with Lindgard,McClean and Allan all going back to their parent clubs,with only Cainey 180k from hull and Hateley free from Tranmere joining.

In Novemeber we were finally taken over by Jeremy Wray and finallly got rid of Carson Yueng and Peter Pannu(thank god as a bluenose i hate these 2 with a passion) he cleared the debts and gave me a 3m transfer budget.In the League we dominted from start to finish losing only 4 games getting over 100 points and 100 goals,the only downside was the defence which let in over 50 goals so that is something to look at for next season.The cup competitions were also very good with us losing 3-2 to Man U in extra time in the Carling Cup final,but we got our rewards when Dan Burn scored 4 minutes from the end of extra time to beat Everton 1-0 in the FA Cup final:)

Archived