Why do i always get poor youth intakes?

Well, with respect, what exactly are you expecting? If you're asking why you don't get reports saying "John Smith has the potential to be one of the finest players of his generation" every single year it's because those players are very rare. Even the very good regens will take years to develop after arriving fresh in your academy. Those players like Raheem Sterling, Fabregas, and Wilshere who can light it up week after week as teenagers are the exception rather than the rule. Also, you are in London which is the most crowded geographical location in the world in terms of competition for catchment. Think about how many teams are in London? And how many players have actually come through the academy system and gone on to establish themselves as first team regulars at Chelsea? At Arsenal? At Man City? Even at Utd they don't tend to break through until early 20's. I'm managing Arsenal and have the best youth network and junior coaching you can have and in 7 seasons I have only had ONE 5 star regen come through my academy. The rest I picked up from Europe and South America and, more often than not, had to pay. It's good to have good youth set-up, especially at Chelsea because the money is a non-issue,, but that's not where you should be relying on most for new talent. That's what scouting is for.

Read one of the 8759850750 threads on the same subject by using the SEARCH function.

In other words you'll find it's currently broken. You have to either sign them to find out their abilities or use a 3rd party software that tells you a players CA and PA.

Some one mentioned in a previous thread that you have to sign the youth candidates first and then their true rating will be known - all youth candidates have the same 1 or 2 star rating but when you offer them a contract, their ratings increase. I did this for the first time this season and had two three star pluses come through.

However, common sense and actually looking at the player's stats should be your guideline here. Don't just assume that because a player is rated 2* that if you sign him he'll suddenly turn into the next Wilshere - he might just actually be crap. :p

This is so true. Everyone wants everything on a plate in this spoonfed society. :D ...... Here's an idea ^^^. Like actually look at their attributes, man up, and trust your own judgement. ;)

This is so true. Everyone wants everything on a plate in this spoonfed society. :D ...... Here's an idea ^^^. Like actually look at their attributes, man up, and trust your own judgement. ;)

Or appointment a Head of Youth Development 20 PA 20 CA and trust HIS judgement. That's what I do.

Some one mentioned in a previous thread that you have to sign the youth candidates first and then their true rating will be known - all youth candidates have the same 1 or 2 star rating but when you offer them a contract, their ratings increase. I did this for the first time this season and had two three star pluses come through.

I've had experiences with this in a previous patch (not sure if fixed or not, presumed it was a bug), but I had a few youth players who I signed from my yearly intake as filler players, they turned into 3-4 star potential players after a season. This is with a smaller club mind, Europa League quality.

I've had experiences with this in a previous patch (not sure if fixed or not, presumed it was a bug), but I had a few youth players who I signed from my yearly intake as filler players, they turned into 3-4 star potential players after a season. This is with a smaller club mind, Europa League quality.

Yep, I have just worked that out.

I would sign most of my youth intake, take no notice of them, release them later on as I never got any decent players.

Then I cut finances down, signed all youth intake, and would keep playing them into the reserves and all.

Every season I get 2-3 real good players doing that. By the time they are 19-20, there PA ratings is high, and they are nearly into the main squad.

In other words you'll find it's currently broken. You have to either sign them to find out their abilities or use a 3rd party software that tells you a players CA and PA.

or rely on your assitant manager, or who ever it is that monitors the inter-club match to pick youth candidates to offer contracts to, as he decided only two players of mine were worthy of contracts. one is rated 4 and a half star CB and the other is 3 and a hlaf striker.

i offered contracts to the others but they dont seem to be amounting to much.

FC_Energie_Cottbus_Under_19s_Squad_Players.png

Cottbus_Information_Facilities.png

I've been lucky the past few seasons with intake, and the facilities are far from perfect. Currently in 2.Bundesliga but 4 stars is 'leading Bundesliga' and 2 and a half is 'good 2.Bundesliga' so in theory I have a team here that could challenge in the top division in a few years, though some may not make it.

Saying that, at most clubs I have managed the youth intake has not been so successful, so it might be down to luck, and a good head of youth development.

Correct, i find that Newgens with a 2 star rating, once signed, usually become 5 star rated players.

I noticed this too. The assistant manager said no one from my intake stood out. I had a whole bunch at 0.5 stars, but one had 2 stars and two had 1.5 stars. They looked like being very good for their age. After signing them two got 4.5 stars and one got 4 stars.

Doesn't make much sense that the assistant would say no one stood out and they get a low rating. I would understand it if they had no rating at all to begin with, and after training and playing games they were evaluated properly.

I'm pretty sure it's a bug at the moment that no youth candidates look good until you have signed them.

If I'm honest I don't tend to think of it as a bug. I look at it from the perspective of a club not knowing the true potential of a player until they've signed a contract and had extensive time training with the reserves/youth team. If it showed true values immediately you are effectively saying that clubs can know perfect details for a player with a glance.

• SI Staff

The star rating of newgen intake is partly a bug, partly a feature but the ratings are a bit too underrated in the current version. We have adjusted this for the future updates to balance it better.

One thing to remember though is that the star ratings are relative and if you have a good squad with world class players, only the very best newgens can get good star ratings in relation to your current squad.

Exactly. A players potential will be based on his current rate of development, as well as the quality of the set-up, facilities, coaching... So if you sign a very promising 3 star player from Burkina Faso then don't be surprised if he is rated at 3.5 stars 3 months after arriving.

Basically, when your youth players first join, they have no rate of development, and this can impact quite heavily on their estimated potential. Remember that.

Also, the best goal poacher I ever signed was rated at 2.5 stars by my scouting staff. Scored goals for fun. If you can find a professional, big game player, that is rated 2.5 stars, I would take that over a inconsistent, selfish, unsporting, 3 or 3.5 star player, every day of the week.

When my Oxford City side were lowly I could only afford a crappy HoYD. JPA 7, JPP 8. He told me I was getting some great players through but he was overestimating their ability.

Now my Oxford City side are pushing playoffs in the Championship and I can afford a HoYD with JPA20 and JPP 20. Now he's telling me the players that my previous HoYD thought were great aren't so great. But I still have 4 players that he rates as decent Premiership potential. Have to say I'm happy with what I'm getting. My Youth facilities are crap but I've ploughed money into my Junior Coaching.

Archived