Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When is this game going to be sorted out?

Long shots work once in a blue moon

General lack of shots in games

Ridiculous amount of own goals - unrealistic

Defenders not turning when through ballls are played.

Keepers acting very strangely with backpasses.

I've never complained about a FM before but this one is just so,so poor. Real pity. The match engine was not ready to form part of the game.

Not sure how much has improved. Constantly spinning players on the ball, don't know which direction to take.

Dont like the tackles when the player flies to the floor, looks like a free kick but isn't

way to many own goals. Managed to score one from half way in to my own half.

Perfect passes by opposition, but top players cant pass the ball, or kick it straight at players backs.

Way to many goal mouth scrambles seem to always work in the favor of the opposition, usual due to defenders just staring at the ball.

Seriously HATE this game at the moment, SI you really broke the mold on this one, so given the amount of damage within this release, I can't see this being fixed by tiny incremental patches. You have broken a once fine game

And that's just on the match engine,

Perfect passes by opposition, but top players cant pass the ball, or kick it straight at players backs.

The ME doesn't know if a team is human or AI. The only thing that can be making the particular scenario you are seeing is the AI team has better players, or your tactics are wrong.

Separately, although there are certainly still a number of niggling bugs, I love this ME, it is far better than FM12. I have played 267 hours of FM13 and today alone I have seen 3 new animations; players falling over in a somersault, a player shimmying past someone, and a player doing a kind of jumping volley. The potential for improvement over FM12 is huge, lets just hope that the upcoming patch further improves the existing bugs to try and win over some of the sceptics

I agree we need more shots and specifically long shots, especially at lower levels. The problem is that when long shots are closer to RL levels people start bitching about conceding 30-yarders all the time :-/

38% is the mark I look for, as the research I've read on shooting range suggests that's the worldwide average. Generally happy with high 30s to low-mid 40s.

I think, at this moment, the biggest problem with this ME is that is not stable enough, something that the ME from FM2012 was.

With this ME, you could have a good tactic, come from a 10 win sequence, and go out to play against a smaller team and after 15m you are loosing 3-0... and tou ask yourself? Ok... what the hell just happend?

We see too many times players (from your team and AI team) scoring from impossible angles... and missing open goal chances.

In other words... sometimes... when you are watching the games... it's like theres no logical in what you are seeing. It needs balance.

This situation, imo, is the thing is most annoying in this ME... even more than the bugs from the goalkeepers or others.

For example, if i'm managing a big team (like Man Utd) and i'm gonna play against a very weak team, i'm not expecting to win easy... i understand that i could be surprise and even lose the game... but i'm expecting to dominate the game.

I'm expecting to have more shots, more possession. I could even lose the game in the only shot they made. That could happen. But i'm not expecting (even if i am a bad manager with a bad tactic) that my team coudn't make more than 2 or 3 shots at goal.

At the end of the day, teams with better players win more games. This is the truth. A good manager, a good strategy could give that team an extra leverage, and because of that sometimes there are big surprises in football... but thats what they are... surprises.

Barcelona wins 90% of the games they play, not because of the manager, but because they have the better players. With a great manager perhaps they could win 92% of the games... but with a bad manager i thing would be impossible they win 40 or 50% of their games.

With this ME... those surprises are too "normal", and happen too many times. Balanced is something that is missing. But again, it's normal this is happening right now. The ME is a new one, so it needs to improve.

We, users, need to be patience. :)

needed pens to win a game i should have won with ease.

conceded 1 tackle OG bug. one ball gets deflected back to striker until they score bug.

and one of my goals was classifed as an OG because it brushed past them :/

this is NOT what I needed 3 days before club world cup.

i have noticed tactical inconsistances. use the same tactics draw against the rubbish teams, creating little, face chelsea... and destroy them? this works how?

conceded 1 tackle OG bug. one ball gets deflected back to striker until they score bug.

i have noticed tactical inconsistances. use the same tactics draw against the rubbish teams, creating little, face chelsea... and destroy them? this works how?

Sounds like you are struggling to deal with teams that dont give you space to work in behind them

The problem against weaker teams is quite annoying tbh, i'm going to the point i'm trembling everytime i see an highlight when playing against a weaker team, not having players reacting badly to team talks or over-confident, the ammount of times i've seen that annoying crushing message "player X scores for the first time" or something like that is just stressful, especially since i'm the second top defense on the league, but somehow these weakling forwards always get their first goal on the league against me.

Although i don't agree that just because you have better players you should win, or the argument that Barcelona could win anything even with a bad manager, i do agree to a point that the quality of the players should be a bit more relevant.

And even with AI not acknowledging the difference between a human player or an AI player, i also agree it's pretty stressful watching quality players making dumb decisions and such poor passing, while at the same time the AI team way weaker is playing direct football with long passes with extreme accuracy, now, ofc tactics affect this, what a manager can't affect is a 20M+ player not being able to pass the ball accuratly in small distances.

Although stressful at times, after the last patch the game is completly playable and enjoyable, ofc there's the bugs we all know about but imo this is a fair price to pay for this ME potential, and although it's CA is just a 130 it's PA is def a -10 :)

it shouldn't be the quality players win.

it shouldn't take 60 minutes to score a goal, only for the opposition to suddenly become Barcalona to equilise then you have to try again.

Home teams seem to get the Advantage, 2 seasons into my United save, Barca scrap 2nd in the group.. First season they finished Behind Cluj (who won the group with 13 points) because they lose a game away from home.

That would indeed be heart-breaking.

It looks very similar to one daylight posted recently (nothing in common withthe one dgrgurov posted!)

Thankfull daylight said that PaulC had acknowledged it as a bug, so hopefully our days of living in fear of conceding such a shocking goal are numbered

Despite being a glaring bug, money on the ignorant fanboys coming out defending it saying "goalkeepers slip!!!"

To be honest I'm not sure what the point of this thread is,

This thread is for people like you. Who post five time per page. In defense of the game.

This thread is for the mods. Who dominate the post count.

A feedback thread, it is no longer. It lost it's way, long ago.

It takes one post to say the game is damaged beyond repair. One post to defend it beyond belief.

People stop caring after that.

Have you ever watched any real football? All your posts are whining about games you should win. A full strength Arsenal should have beaten Bradford. They didn't. Chelsea should have beaten Corinthians, they didn't.

Stop crying, watch some real football and read everything in the tactics forum and learn how to play the game.

The game has issues sure but your problems come from just not being very good at it and refusing to learn/adapt.

The difference being that Chelsea will attack you, leaving you space. Smaller teams will defend, draw you onto them and counter you. You need to adapt your tactics, usually with shouts, to beat lesser teams. United will struggle at times because teams sit deep. Recently they struggled to break down Norwich, who grabbed a 1-0 win. If you find you're having trouble breaking down smaller teams, go counter, drop deep, stand off them and play a little wider. You'll find this draws them out of their half more, leaving you space in behind to get at them with quick attacks.

You have one of the best wingers in Valencia, try using him as your outlet for your attacks as either an IF A, or W A. You don't necessarily need to exploit the right flank, but set your keeper to distribute the ball to Rafael. I don't know what formation you're playing or your tactical instructions, but you cannot just attack everyone and expect to win.

To be honest I'm not sure what the point of this thread is, seeing as anyone genuinely showing errors is referred by the mods to the ME bugs forum. I guess this thread must just be some kind of screening processs. If so, you need people engaging in discussion with regard to the screening

The point of this thread and the other feedback thread is pretty clear,it keeps all the drivel both for and against the game in 2 threads,that way when users come to the forum they are not hit with the first page full of locked threads,it also makes the mods job easier :p

These threads were useful for feedback for the first 5 or 6 pages,now it is just keeping all the damage from spewing out all over the forum.

1-0 down with 92 minutes played. There are two minutes of stoppage time to play, A.C Milan have a player down injured who has been down for three minutes whilst Milan pass the ball about wasting time. My players finally win the ball back and then kick it out so the injured player can receive treatment, this is a bug, surely?

If they didn't kick the ball out when he went down, with me losing 1-0 surely we should have taken that opportunity to race forward for one last attack? As it happens we kicked the ball out and the play counted down and I lost. I'm tempted to put a rocket up the arse of my LB because of that...

in continuation to my previous wall of text rant of a post, i try to keep my save as "fair" as possible, i repeat games where bugs or stupid stuff happens, be it in my favor or in theirs.

i have a question to the users, do the "bugs" even out at the end of the season? can i watch a bug happen and think "oh well, next time it's for me!" ?

because, i'll be honest, it seems most of the bugs are against me and i like to think of myself as a fair person.

The ME doesn't know if a team is AI or human, so in theory yes.

I'm not sure about your replaying games theory though. Although there are indeed a number of bugs in the ME, the posts here show that many users also see bugs where they don't exist. How can you be sure you only replay at bugs and not at player errors? When Bale took the ball to the face v Liverpool I didn't exactly see them agreeing to replay the match, but I'm pretty sure that had it happened in FM this thread would have been threatening to torch down SI towers.

Given that the ME doesn't discriminate, over a long enough time frame the 'bugs' should balance out.

Hopefully in a week or so there will be far fewer bugs in any case

i have a question to the users, do the "bugs" even out at the end of the season? can i watch a bug happen and think "oh well, next time it's for me!" ?

I would say it does balance out,it is not as simple as "oh well,next time it's for me".

You may have 6 or 7 go against you before something goes for you,I would say over an entire season it does seem somewhat balanced as it should be as the game is not playing against you.

Having said all that it does not make the highlights any more bearable to watch.

Patch ME fixes, updated TODAY (think the last 2)

Match v1319

-----------

- More improvements to on ball decision making and pass choice

- Improved central midfielder starting position when team is in possession

- Tweaked midfielder and attacker positions when team is defending

- Fixed a couple of bugs causing players to fail to turn to face required direction properly

- Improved facing direction of player marking opponent who is moving onto a pass

- Fixed bug allowing players being able to partially "go through" other players to get ball without being penalised

- Small tweaks to improve the way players move onto passes or loose balls

- Reduced some instances of closing down of keeper when clearly illogical in context of player and his instructions

- Cleaned up a few bugs that delayed retrieval of ball at set pieces or kick offs

Match v1320

-----------

- A bunch of ball physics fixes mainly related to collisions and ball spin after bounce

- Reduced slightly unrealistic ball to player deflections

- More improvements to pass choice AI

- Tweaks to run with ball and first touch AI

- Reduced tackles that end in own goals

- Some tweaks to basic central midfielder positions

- Fixed some dodgy marking at mid pitch free kicks

- Improved full back positioning when waiting for short keeper distribution

- Improved near and far post corner aim point

Match v1321

-----------

- Some further ball physics fixes and refinements

- Fixed goal not always given if ball stops just over goal line

- Fixed some rare instances of player collision avoidance failing

- Further refinements to pass AI

- Improved pass, shot or header accuracy logic

- Further improvements to player reactions to the ball

- Fixed defences staying to deep just after corner taken

- Refined player positioning when defending free kicks from wide

- Made players press more collectively and aggressively when required

- Improved positioning of defenders against attackers running at pace

- Refined tackling AI a bit

- Improved facing direction while marking opponent around own area

- Fixed some more keeper AI bugs

Match v1322

-----------

- Improved collision avoidance AI slightly

- Fine tuned ball trajectory chosen by player for kick, header etc

- Fine tuned kick and header accuracy logic

- Fine tuned pass and general on ball AI

- Tuned long shot frequency and AI

- Toned down pressing slightly in certain situations

- Improved marking and engagement of ball player in wide areas

- Tuned tackling AI further

- Couple of small fixes to player reactions

- Fixed some small player pathing anomalies

- Fixed a couple of goalkeeper AI anomalies

Match v1323

-----------

- Improved marking and engagement of ball player further

- Fixed some instances of risky keeper distribution

Match v1324

-----------

- Reverted one change from 1323 that was causing defensive issues

- Fine tuned kick/header accuracy

So 1319-1324 are where we are with regards to the next update.

That is a heated derby, not implausible there would be 3 cards. It would be implausible that it happened regularly. 1 screenshot definitely doesn't suggest anything. If you are going to criticise the ME, you need to do more than show 1 photo of 1 weekend.

The team stats > red cards is the only way to show this with any meaning.

2011-2012 IRL there were 26 red cards in the EPL, how many are showing in your team stats table? Mine currently shows 26 in January, so you could be onto something

Patch ME fixes, updated TODAY (think the last 2)

Match v1319

-----------

- More improvements to on ball decision making and pass choice

- Improved central midfielder starting position when team is in possession

- Tweaked midfielder and attacker positions when team is defending

- Fixed a couple of bugs causing players to fail to turn to face required direction properly

- Improved facing direction of player marking opponent who is moving onto a pass

- Fixed bug allowing players being able to partially "go through" other players to get ball without being penalised

- Small tweaks to improve the way players move onto passes or loose balls

- Reduced some instances of closing down of keeper when clearly illogical in context of player and his instructions

- Cleaned up a few bugs that delayed retrieval of ball at set pieces or kick offs

Match v1320

-----------

- A bunch of ball physics fixes mainly related to collisions and ball spin after bounce

- Reduced slightly unrealistic ball to player deflections

- More improvements to pass choice AI

- Tweaks to run with ball and first touch AI

- Reduced tackles that end in own goals

- Some tweaks to basic central midfielder positions

- Fixed some dodgy marking at mid pitch free kicks

- Improved full back positioning when waiting for short keeper distribution

- Improved near and far post corner aim point

Match v1321

-----------

- Some further ball physics fixes and refinements

- Fixed goal not always given if ball stops just over goal line

- Fixed some rare instances of player collision avoidance failing

- Further refinements to pass AI

- Improved pass, shot or header accuracy logic

- Further improvements to player reactions to the ball

- Fixed defences staying to deep just after corner taken

- Refined player positioning when defending free kicks from wide

- Made players press more collectively and aggressively when required

- Improved positioning of defenders against attackers running at pace

- Refined tackling AI a bit

- Improved facing direction while marking opponent around own area

- Fixed some more keeper AI bugs

Match v1322

-----------

- Improved collision avoidance AI slightly

- Fine tuned ball trajectory chosen by player for kick, header etc

- Fine tuned kick and header accuracy logic

- Fine tuned pass and general on ball AI

- Tuned long shot frequency and AI

- Toned down pressing slightly in certain situations

- Improved marking and engagement of ball player in wide areas

- Tuned tackling AI further

- Couple of small fixes to player reactions

- Fixed some small player pathing anomalies

- Fixed a couple of goalkeeper AI anomalies

Match v1323

-----------

- Improved marking and engagement of ball player further

- Fixed some instances of risky keeper distribution

Match v1324

-----------

- Reverted one change from 1323 that was causing defensive issues

- Fine tuned kick/header accuracy

So 1319-1324 are where we are with regards to the next update.

Gotta be close now surely! :D

This thread is for people like you. Who post five time per page. In defense of the game.

This thread is for the mods. Who dominate the post count.

A feedback thread, it is no longer. It lost it's way, long ago.

It takes one post to say the game is damaged beyond repair. One post to defend it beyond belief.

People stop caring after that.

You are a bit right indeed, don't know who this Herbert guy is, but i've been noticing he came outta the blue lately to the defend the ME hard, pretty much arguying against every single post saying ME is flawed, or complaining about something.

Anyway i just saw a post from him saying that people complain the defenders are overpowered (LOL) so now i've heard it all from the hardcore ME defenders (those are the ones overpowered :D)

The ME is obviouly great, obviously with brilliant potential, and obviously flawed, it's getting pathetic defending it blindly as much as it is blindly raging at it

Anyway i just saw a post from him saying that people complain the defenders are overpowered (LOL) so now i've heard it all from the hardcore ME defenders (those are the ones overpowered :D)

The ME is obviouly great, obviously with brilliant potential, and obviously flawed, it's getting pathetic defending it blindly as much as it is blindly raging at it

This thread is full of people saying how there are no shots anymore because the defenders are too good. I don't defend the ME blindly, and have pointed out many flaws with it. I only comment when someone makes a false or hyperbolic assertion, or puts forward their own opinion as undeniable fact. In the non-ME thread I have complained about 7 or 8 different aspects of the game, so I fear you may have me mistaken for someone else

You are a bit right indeed, don't know who this Herbert guy is, but i've been noticing he came outta the blue lately to the defend the ME hard, pretty much arguying against every single post saying ME is flawed, or complaining about something.

Very harsh.. if you spent a fraction of your time reading his posts (which you obv havent), you will see a majority of his threads give reasons to opinions in an adult and constructive way.

Maybe some of his points i dont agree with but id certainly read what he has to say and discuss in a constructive discussion than listen to the personal attacks.

Put your brain into gear before you post :thup:

Well Chris... Xmas is only 7 days away so some time before then and now id say :p

Next couple of days would be nice, i dont want it getting in the way of pressie wrapping, i know what will come first!

I think it will be by Friday. Can't see SI releasing it too close to Xmas. They will want some time off :p

Not an appropriate username for someone that doesn't like arguments and sniping ;)

I only chose this username because of his tackles on players. I remember when he destroyed Jamie Ward at Derby away 2 years back. It definitely makes up for his lack of pace (and general football talent).

I think it will be by Friday. Can't see SI releasing it too close to Xmas. They will want some time off :p

Release it xmas eve, leg it off for xmas. That way not many people will be online as doing thier xmas thang...

That would be my plan :D

I just bought the game a few days and the ME totally ruins the game. Its like the players are playing on ice! Constantly miscontrolling and over hitting passes. Passing in general is ridiculous, no matter what i do my cbs and gk just want to the hoof the ball forwards. This has to be one of the worst FMs ever. I cant believe they would sell this dross for 30 quid.

I just bought the game a few days and the ME totally ruins the game. Its like the players are playing on ice! Constantly miscontrolling and over hitting passes. Passing in general is ridiculous, no matter what i do my cbs and gk just want to the hoof the ball forwards. This has to be one of the worst FMs ever. I cant believe they would sell this dross for 30 quid.
If this is genuinely how you feel, then although I dont agree and do think you could do with calming down slightly, I would also recommend that you try it again in ~10days time when the new patch will hopefully have been released. Make sure you have steam set to online and it will download automagically. Then you can update us with another thrilling review

If this is genuinely how you feel, then although I dont agree and do think you could do with calming down slightly, I would also recommend that you try it again in ~10days time when the new patch will hopefully have been released. Make sure you have steam set to online and it will download automagically. Then you can update us with another thrilling review

I think you should just accept people's opinions instead of trying to belittle them. Thank you

He must work for SI. Constantly defending them.
Given the amount of hatred my perfectly logical posts seem to accrue, I would think it would be very much obvious that I don't work for SI, them employing me would be extremely counter-productive to their customer service satisfaction levels. Do libelous statements come foul of the forum rules?
I think you should just accept people's opinions instead of trying to belittle them. Thank you
I did accept your opinion, I said I didn't agree but didn't call it manifestly wrong, I even provided you with advice that could see you happier by the year's end. Ill admit I could have not bothered with the last line.

Incredbily annoying when the defender passes back to the keeper and the keeper just watches the ball go passed him into the goal.

Calling that incredbily annoying would be putting it mildly, sounds like a nightmare bug. Do you have a pkm you can upload to the ME bugs thread to see if they can get it fixed. may well be they already know about it and plan to fix it in upcoming patch

Check to see if others have the same first though, may well be they already know about it and plan to fix it in upcoming patch

Always worth uploading bugs even if already reported. Unless SI have actually said it's fixed and they don't need more examples, you might just have a clearer example or a different bug with the same result.

Calling that incredbily annoying would be putting it mildly, sounds like a nightmare bug. Do you have a pkm you can upload to the ME bugs thread to see if they can get it fixed. Check to see if others have the same first though, may well be they already know about it and plan to fix it in upcoming patch

Just finishing the match now and will do this after looking to see if anyone had the same.

--

Getting sick of players for no reason heading the ball out of play or into the middle of nowhere when they could/ should easily just control the ball when they aren't under pressure, It's been in FM since I can remember.

Archived